• Breaking News

    Wednesday, September 8, 2021

    CA - If liable in an accident, can you get sued for property damages that exceed the amount your liability coverage covers? Insurance

    CA - If liable in an accident, can you get sued for property damages that exceed the amount your liability coverage covers? Insurance


    CA - If liable in an accident, can you get sued for property damages that exceed the amount your liability coverage covers?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 01:30 AM PDT

    As an example, if someone has $5000 property liability coverage, and they are at fault in an accident with an expensive vehicle, in which damages to said vehicle are $100,000, who pays the $95,000 after the at-fault driver's INS kicks in the first $5000? Would the at-fault driver be subject to a law suit, and if so, would he/she likely have to cough up the additional $95k?

    submitted by /u/FlyingAces
    [link] [comments]

    Daughter’s boyfriend wrecked car

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 08:26 AM PDT

    We have a vehicle in my name, and daughter is driver on policy. We intended to provide vehicle for daughters use while she is in college and insure it ourselves.

    Unbeknownst to us though she gave vehicle to her boyfriend to use as his daily commuter, of course within 2 weeks of doing this he wrecks the vehicle into another car and is clearly at fault.

    Question is does this claim now stay on our record for years, or does it possibly follow the driver? This is Car #3 for daughter, she had previously totaled two, although only one was her fault, so we have been paying sky high rates for awhile, so am beyond frustrated with this wreck. Trying to figure out if daughter should get own policy, or if wreck is now tied to us.

    submitted by /u/rynodawg
    [link] [comments]

    How common is it to be dropped by an auto carrier after a fender bender?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 04:08 AM PDT

    I just thought this situation was a little odd. Maybe not.

    My wife and I have both been driving for about twenty years and have have never had an at fault.

    Last December she got into a small fender bender when she was backing up. Less than 5mph. She was determined to be at fault. The other vehicle was a BMW and while the damage appeared minor, the repairs were around $4,500.

    Our vehicles at the time were very old and worth maybe $2k each and we had liability only coverage (although with pretty high limits). Since then, my wife has upgraded to a nicer Lexus, although my car is the same.

    The other day we got a notice of non renewal from Liberty Mutual. The letter stated her accident and one roadside assistance claim I made as the reasons.

    I mean I was expecting our rates to go up, but really dropped entirely after after one fender bender in twenty years? I've been shopping around with other carriers, and the premiums for our same coverage are all well over double what they previously were.

    Edit: this is in New York

    submitted by /u/Febtober2k
    [link] [comments]

    Got rear ended, went to the hospital, and now I have a bill..

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 03:51 AM PDT

    [California]

    I got rear ended in June and went to the hospital afterwards due to pain on my neck. Doctor informed me it was just whiplash.

    After I talked to the other parties insurance, they agreed to send me a check for the damaged bumper (500). I notified them that I went to the hospital due to pain from the accident and their insurance said something along the lines of not wanting to pay for the medical bill because the accident wasn't considered that Severe and the car accident didn't fall under certain guidelines to be considered.

    I forgot about it until today when I received a $200 bill from the emergency room. I don't know what to do. I don't want to pay this bill nor can I afford it. I know insurance is suppose to pay for these types of problems so what's the issue?

    submitted by /u/noisome11
    [link] [comments]

    Claims Adjuster Ghosted Me and Then Said I Was At Fault, What Are My Rights?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 07:24 PM PDT

    Located in CA.

    I was rear-ended inside of a car wash tunnel as I was waiting for the light at the exit to turn green. I believe that the car wash is at fault, as I was simply following their instructions.

    I immediately filed a claim with my insurer and explained the situation. I was assigned a claims adjuster, and told to wait for her to contact me. After not hearing anything for a few days I pro-actively reached out and left a VM for her. After still hearing no word, I called again a few days after that and was finally able to speak with her. She informed me that an appraiser would be contacting me regarding my vehicle.

    The appraiser took some photos and gave me a quote. In the meantime, I received a call from the other party's insurer with some questions regarding the incident. I received a check for the damage, but it came with a $500 deductible.

    I called my claims adjuster to inquire about the charge. She told me that she was heading out the door, but that she had seen the car wash video and that I was at-fault, without any discussion.

    I am quite upset with my claims adjuster. We had another follow-up call, and she made veiled threats about how I could be sued personally (there was no damage to the other vehicle or the car wash) if I didn't agree to be held at-fault. Additionally, she has ghosted me on two other follow-up calls after telling me that we would speak on a certain day.

    What are my rights under this situation? It is acceptable that I heard nothing, and that I was not called when I was told I would be, and then all of a sudden hear that I am at-fault with no explanation or heads-up? I asked to speak with my adjuster's supervisor, but I am considering filing a claim with the state insurance commission as well

    People of Reddit - could you please provide me with any advice as to what I can/should do in this situation? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Routine_Mushroom_245
    [link] [comments]

    Auto Insurance (Total Loss)

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 12:24 AM PDT

    Good evening everyone.

    I am looking for any information that any of you may provide to me for me to navigate how I approach my situation.

    I recently received a letter by my insurance provider about my car being a total loss and that if I am unable to purchase another comparable vehicle for the settlement amount, they will reopen the claim file.

    They did not give me much. My vehicle had appreciation on it about 6.1k plus the 890 for the rental I got on my own. So I got about 7k in total.

    My vehicle original with the kbb pricing and mileage I had, had my car priced at about 18k.

    What is the possible steps I can take next?

    Any helpful information is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/OhJae_
    [link] [comments]

    Just got into a car accident as a passenger, other driver’s fault, currently at the hospital for upper body and neck pain. Would I have to pay out of pocket?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 11:07 PM PDT

    Hello, I just got into a car accident - other driver was speeding and swerved into us, causing our car to crash into the traffic light pole/wall. Car is totaled, but me, the driver, and the other two passengers safely got out with minor injuries. Thankful that the was the worst of it and nothing more.

    I have insurance, but I'm mainly worried about the bill. Not sure if I file any claims, or do I just have to pay my bill out of pocket? Thank you for any help!

    Edit: This occurred in California

    submitted by /u/_monsterpoon
    [link] [comments]

    Just learned that my delta dental insurance plan was terminated.

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 11:04 PM PDT

    I've been paying faithfully for the last year and just learned that my plan was terminated without a reason given. I didn't even receive this notice until after it was already terminated. There were no prior notices either. And I can't even re-enroll for 12 months. They basically took my money and ran.

    Sure would hate for Medicare for all to take away my freedom to be uninsured.

    submitted by /u/SeedofEvil5217
    [link] [comments]

    Best Car Insurance Overall? - Currently with Root

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 10:56 PM PDT

    Currently with Root for my car insurance, mainly because it was really easy to set it up and the pricing seemed reasonable.

    I'm getting a new car soon and wondering if there are any other companies that are better overall?

    Price is a factor but I don't need the cheapest insurance possible, happy to pay extra for a quality service.

    Which car insurance do you use and do you love it?

    Has anyone swapped from Root, was it a good call?

    Any input is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/AviatorPrints
    [link] [comments]

    How much my insurance will increase if I add my sister in my policy as new driver?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 10:24 PM PDT

    She is 26 and she just got her license and she will be using my car sometimes to get groceries or something.

    submitted by /u/simpleboye
    [link] [comments]

    I don't understand travel insurance... insurance in general, someone explain! pls

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 06:31 PM PDT

    Okay listen, I'm 19 years old and I don't know anything about insurance. If you are wondering why I even care about this, well its because I have a trip to Spain planned towards the end of September, and I was looking into travel insurance. After some research, I found a travel insurance company called "worldnomads." For a week of travel, the insurance would cost about $60. I was surprised to find it covers up to $300k in emergency evacuation, $100k in emergency medical expenses, and much much more.

    My question is... how is this possible? How is it that I'd be paying $60 dollars and they'd be able to cover thousands of dollars worth of expenses? I mean, if my medical bill came to be $100k, they'd seriously take care of the costs? It seems too good to be true.

    submitted by /u/SnooTomatoes7909
    [link] [comments]

    Negligence at Dentist

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 09:18 PM PDT

    Can you appeal charges by your dentist, if they failed to check with insurance to confirm coverage?

    I'm in Washington state and my dentist replaced a crown that was 2 month shy of 5 years old, and insurance denied the claim as they do not cover crown replacements under 5 years old. So now I am being billed for the procedure. On top of that, they did some repair work on the tooth that needed the crown, that I wasn't even aware of.

    Had they checked with my insurance, they would have seen that insurance wouldn't cover the cost. Is there anything I can do to appeal this due to negligence on the biller's part?

    submitted by /u/SleepyOtter3
    [link] [comments]

    Can I dispute this? Over Priced Repair

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 09:09 PM PDT

    Located in Miami, FL

    Accidentally hit my neighbor's car in the parking lot and I decided to do the right thing and left a note. We exchanged insurance information since it was a small accident and accident forgiveness should keep my rates down. The damages weren't too bad, a moderate dent on a plastic bumper and scratched paint.

    I checked my claim today and saw the amount payed out to my neighbor for the repairs. It was way over what I expected. Unfortunately my claims adjuster was out of office but I did manage to get a hold of a rather rude member of the claims department. She was able to give me a breakdown of the repair bill, albeit somewhat reluctantly, and a good portion was due to new parts being ordered. When I asked if I this meant my neighbor got a new bumper and paint, she told me it was none of my business and tried to hurry me along.

    Now I'm no stranger to car repairs, and I know the damage I inflicted was not worth replacing the entire back bumper. However, being that it was an old car, it already had normal wear and tear (light dents, scuffs and deep scratches prior). My immediate thought is that body shop simply didn't feel like fixing any of it and saw an opportunity to upswell my neighbor and charge my insurance for it. Popping the dent out and touching up the scratches would've been cheaper but also not as profitable I imagine.

    Is there any way I can dispute this? Either by saying the cost of the repairs is too much for what it is or that it was unnecessary and unfair to charge me to repair pre-existing damages to the bumper?

    submitted by /u/yourlocaloutcast_
    [link] [comments]

    Insuring a vehicle without taking trim information?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 08:28 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I'm in Alberta, Canada, and am having trouble getting an answer on this.

    I'm looking to insure a 2015 Lexus IS250, but the VIN is missing the trim information (just how Lexus does it). It only indicates that it's a 4 door with AWD, but it's also the top trim (6 available trims, it's the F Sport Series 3).

    The agents I've asked so far have said that doesn't matter, but if the car is totaled, what determines the value of it? It's a substantial difference in cost on the used market, and I wouldn't want to get the value of a base trim.

    Could any of you explain how this would work for me please?

    submitted by /u/AllIDoIsBeepBoop
    [link] [comments]

    Car totaled in mechanics possesion. What to do or expect?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 12:00 PM PDT

    I left my 2004 bmw 330ci 6 spd at my mechanic last week and it was totaled due to the storm and floods that proceeded. He told me his insurance will take care of it however after speaking to my insurance I was told they will be responsible based on the investigation. My mechanic told me there was an adjuster already there and it may be weeks before i hear anything, this is a new situation for me and i am not sure what to do. My insurance said i could put a claim with them (liability coverage) however I may be charged, idk if its worth putting a claim or just waiting to hear from my mechanics insurance.

    Edit: located in New York

    submitted by /u/ChronoTrigged
    [link] [comments]

    New Insurance producer - How does this compensation plan look?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 07:10 PM PDT

    Hello everyone. Would like to say thank you in advance for anyone that puts in their two cents here. I just started my new insurance job (Property and casualty) in Oregon. This is the compensation plan I am employed under. Not really sure what to think of it because I don't know much about the industry yet. I am excited about the job and expect to do well.

    Is this a solid payment structure or should I plan to negotiate as I increase my value and starting averaging more items/mo. ?

    Comp plan

    Edit: Clarity - This is an agency, for Allstate; non-corporate. We have an office with fairly low walk in volume, especially during covid. Almost all business is handled over the phone or other electronic means unless a customer (usually older) requests an in person consultation for which we would happily oblige. My boss does pay for some live transfers. We do PL; commercial auto, HO, limited BOP and write other lines life/commercial business to other organizations. I am trying to be as clear as possible but I am very fresh to the job lol. It is my understanding that I will be doing strictly sales.

    submitted by /u/Extension_Cheetah787
    [link] [comments]

    Settle out of insurance? Any tips?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 05:07 PM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    My wife stopped behind a side-by-side vehicle that stopped to chat to someone on the road. For some reason, the driver of the side-by-side then backed up into our truck, doing some damage to the front. The owner is taking all responsibility and wants to take care of it outside of insurance. Can you please give me some questions or things I need to consider before I make the decision to go through insurance or not? He does have insurance on the atv, but I'm sure he just wants to avoid the at-fault premium hike. This happened in BC, Canada. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/majamin
    [link] [comments]

    Can a non-relative be added to car insurance that is on a group with home owner policy?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 04:33 PM PDT

    Girlfriend stays at the house and also drives our vehicles. She's not listed on any policy. We'd like to fix this to be sure that if she's in an accident our coverage isn't questioned. Are we allowed to just add her as a driver? Would we be penalized if they find out she's been staying with us since before we asked for coverage? She is not a renter. USA

    submitted by /u/Ok_Plankton248479
    [link] [comments]

    Insurance covered new roof two months ago, new roof just started leaking. Do I tell insurance?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 07:38 AM PDT

    My roof had a lot of storm damage and insurance agreed to cover a new roof. I used a reputable roofer and at the time I was satisfied with the work they had done, but unfortunately part of the roof started leaking again. It is a twin roof with a line of divider/ridge cap shingles separating them, which appears to be where the leak is. The roofers are coming out and assured me all will be taken care of. I have pictures/videos of the leak in the attic documented for now, but do I tell my insurance claim agent? The claim is now closed, but I wasnt sure if this is something to document with them or if that is better left unsaid for now.

    Located in Pennsylvania, USA

    submitted by /u/callthezooooo
    [link] [comments]

    Insuring car in a different state for a non-family member?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 04:17 PM PDT

    I recently moved overseas, and my car is with my friend who lives in Texas right now. I will be moving back in about a year, so I didn't want to sell it and restart the car loan. I'm very confused on how to handle this insurance situation, though.

    Currently, the car is registered and insured in Ohio. My SO and all of our belongings have already moved to AZ, our new state post-overseas, but I haven't been there so I don't have a new license or been able to register the car there.

    I can't seem to figure out how to insure the car like this - as I understand it, he can't insure with a separate policy because he isn't on the title + car isn't registered in Texas, but I can't add him as a driver because we aren't family.

    What's the best option here? Can I just change the address to Texas even if the car isn't registered there?

    submitted by /u/redditmingzi_take2
    [link] [comments]

    Can you ask for more to be included?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 12:18 PM PDT

    I posted last week about water damage to a kitchen cabinet. The insurance adjuster came out today and he said the cabinet would be covered as he is considering it a failure of the sink. He said if the countertop cracks while replacing the sink it will include replacing the countertops. My concern with replacing one cabinet is that it won't match since the cabinets are 12 years old and stained. Do I just accept that and hope for the best, or am I able to request all cabinets be replaced so they stay consistent? It seems silly when it's just one cabinet but also I think it's reasonable to want your cabinets to be the same. Do I need to call the adjuster before he writes up the quote or can this be addressed afterwards?

    submitted by /u/Maggiebr1
    [link] [comments]

    Annual Mileage. NH

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 02:27 PM PDT

    So I have always wondered if it's a big deal if you underestimate your annual mileage and wondered if anyone had insights of any consequences?

    I have been working from home, so told my insurance company I would probably drive <7,000 a year. Well I am almost at my year mark and just over 11,000 miles.

    Is a big deal of you drive more miles then what you have listed as your annual mileage?

    submitted by /u/Mushu_and_Cricket
    [link] [comments]

    Claims adjusting: Overwhelming with continuing education?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 02:22 PM PDT

    So I recently just got a new job with another insurance company. I was with a different one previously for about a year. Because i already have an adjusters license, i dont need to take the adjuster exam. However i do need to do continuing education and this is my first time doing so and wow it is ALOT of dry material. Am i expected to remember all of this? I mean its almost like reading a terms of agreements page. Im super stressed out and certainly overwhelmed with all the information in the module. Have any of you been in this position? Do I just keep reading and thats it? I'm taking notes but there's just so much stuff that I don't know if it's worth writing down.

    submitted by /u/_WookiesrPpl2
    [link] [comments]

    How to negotiate a total loss settlement for personal belongings?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 01:30 PM PDT

    [California].
    We recently had a category 3 water loss damage claim that our city accepted full liability for, and are currently waiting to receive the total loss estimate for personal items, which is a separate estimate that we will receive from the repairs estimate.
    I am wondering exactly how this kind of thing is negotiated? From what I have found out so far, the contracted company to do the cleanup has taken photos of every single item in our home deemed a total loss, and itemized them. This will probably be like 1000 items. The claims adjuster now is going over every item in a program I think called Xactimate. This itemized list will be sent to us, detailing each item and the estimated value that we will receive for it.
    My question is how do we negotiate the value of our items? For example, we have things like accessories and clothes that are different values (Louis Vutton vs a generic Macy's purse). Another example is our couch in the living room that is real leather, but almost 20 years old. Or a 7 pelt sheepskin rug. How is that valued, and how do we negotiate a higher cost?
    It's stressful because a lot of these things are so old that we don't have the receipts to verify their costs. Does that mean we are at the mercy of the insurance company?

    submitted by /u/mujasad
    [link] [comments]

    Help with serial pre-authorization delays or denials

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 12:43 PM PDT

    Hello r/insurance, I'm an insured 37 year old through Global Benefits Group seeking pre-authorization on a heart treatment (maybe surgery) and hip surgery. The hip is degenerative and the heart is a newly discovered congenital issue. I've been applying for authorization to investigate the heart issue for 2 months and the hip for 3 months. When I call, GBG says "it's marked as urgent and the medical team is reviewing it." They have denied the heart review twice and we have appealed. It seems like there are an endless number of medical teams reviewing my "urgent" cases. They keep saying "they can't withhold services and please proceed" but when I clarify that if I do so and they then deny coverage, I would be stuck with hundreds of thousands in debt. They then acknowledge this and say "a medical team is still reviewing your case." I feel like their MO is to push pre-authorization past the date of medical services, encourage the patient to undergo the procedures and then deny coverage and force people to sue to recouperate costs (based on a colleague's experiences as well). I cannot risk that much debt as we're already in deep due to school and we're only teachers. Other than myself and the hospitals calling nearly daily as we have been, is there any other request, escalation or lawyer we may contact? I'm not able to work right now with the heart issue causing spontaneous loss of consciousness, so I would like to handle this and get back to work asap as the primary income earner. Thank you for any advice and help with this.

    submitted by /u/Smokeyourboat
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment