• Breaking News

    Wednesday, September 8, 2021

    Borrower Defense Approval Student Loans

    Borrower Defense Approval Student Loans


    Borrower Defense Approval

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 02:31 PM PDT

    Hi everyone!!

    I finally got the email for my case approval today, but the school listed in the email is wrong (never even heard of it). It's the right case number and in my application it lists the correct school. Anyone else?

    Currently listening to the hotline jams 🎶 hoping it won't be a problem 😅.

    UPDATE: Just got off the phone with them, the emails and approvals are legitimate and the mislabeled schools should NOT be an issue! Feel free to celebrate 🥳🥳.

    UPDATE 2: It seems like people are getting mixed responses, hopefully it all gets cleared up quickly.

    submitted by /u/purpleballoons3
    [link] [comments]

    Private student loan refinancing is easy

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 08:27 PM PDT

    If you have private student loans, check in on a refinance. Unlike refinancing a house, there's no appraisal, no closing costs, nothing except verifying your income and loan amount.

    2 years ago i refinanced from like 6% to a pretty nice 3.64%. I just refinanced again (started the process on Sunday, approved today) to 2.5%.

    Be warned though, I do not recommend generally to refinance your public (federal) loans unless you know exactly what you are doing. You'd lose federal lone forgiveness, forbearance, income based repayment, and probable other stuff.

    submitted by /u/WiSeIVIaN
    [link] [comments]

    My loan is still processing but the due date for school payments is soon.

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 08:31 PM PDT

    I took out a private loan (I go to Temple) and the due date for school payments is September 9. I don't think it's going to process in time for me to pay. What should I do?

    submitted by /u/ri_cey
    [link] [comments]

    Delaying Marriage to avoid payment increase?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 09:55 AM PDT

    Hi student loan friends,

    First, some basic/pertinent details:

    • My income: ~$120k

    • Fiance's income: ~$280k (and no student loans)

    • My loans: ~$300k (undergrad & grad school). Currently about 5.5 years into PSLF. Still employed in a PSLF-eligible position and plan to be until at least total forgiveness is achieved. My payments are quite low due to maxing out retirement accounts and my employee contributions to the state pension system are considered pre-tax. So I've hammered my monthly payments with PAYE to under $600 (once the COVID pause ends, of course). My payments don't even cover a fraction of the interest my loans accrue. I knew going into grad school that I'd be pursuing PSLF.

    Obviously, I've been trying my damndest to avoid paying more to the government than necessary. I'd love to not have to pay 10% of my fiance's income pointlessly towards my loans for 4+ years with forgiveness on the horizon.

    I'm aware filing taxes as MFS while under PAYE allows me to exclude a spouse's income. However, we reside in California and California is a community property state. Even if we file MFS, when we file our tax returns we'd each report 50% of our household (community) income. So I'm still left paying on an income of $200k (50% of $400k) vs. my current situation of $120k. It's not the end of the world, but if at all possible I'd rather not spend an extra ~$8k/year for 4 years to FedLoan for the privilege of getting married.

    Any workarounds?

    I've read that FedLoan can take paystubs as alternative proof of income, but unclear if they'd accept paystubs from a married borrower, or if they'd want paystubs from a spouse as well?

    Thanks!

    Edit: I appreciate the healthy discussion on the merits of the PSLF program, and potential revisions to the program to put in place forgiveness dollar limits and/or forgiveness phase out based on income. I'm not even opposed to a forgivness cap myself. But I'm operating under the PSLF/income-based repayment system that was in place since the day I entered undergrad well over a decade ago. And I doubt anyone wants to pay more money than necessary to the federal government. So while I appreciate the debate, I hope you all chill on the more hostile personal attacks. Cheers.

    submitted by /u/Curiousbadger5
    [link] [comments]

    Fedloan Servicing Contract Expiration

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 11:55 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I'm graduating this winter 2021 and have just finished Exit Counseling on FAFSA.

    I was informed that my loan servicer is Fedloan Servicing, however it looks like they're no longer renewing the contract. Do I still need set up my account on Fedloan Servicing, or should I wait until the transition to the next servicer is completed?

    My official repayment period starts June 2022, so I'm assuming I still have time.

    I wasn't paying attention to this much until now that I'm about to graduate.. let me know if anyone else had a similar issue :')

    submitted by /u/Alarming_Carrot_1798
    [link] [comments]

    ITT Tech Student Loan Forgiven but confused on email.

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 03:05 PM PDT

    Guys,

    Just recieved this email below I honestly dont know if I have a perkins, williams or FFEL? Does this mean all my student loans associated to this school is forgiven?

    September 7, 2021

    Borrower Defense Case

    Dear

    The Department of Education (Department) has approved your claim for discharge of your federal student loans under the borrower defense to repayment rules, 34 C.F.R. §685.206(c) and/or §685.222. We have determined that you are entitled to a discharge of the loans associated with your enrollment in program(s) at ITT Educational Services, Inc. based on the school's material misrepresentation(s) to you.

    What does this mean for you?

    • If you have William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans (Direct Loans), then 100% of those that you received on or after 06-01-2007 for the program(s) of study related to your approved claim will be discharged within the next 180 days.
    • A 100% discharge means the entire remaining balance of those loans will be cancelled.
    • You do not owe any more money on those loans and will not have to make any more payments.
    • If those loans are in default, the Department will not continue any collections activity or garnishment of wages or offset your tax refunds or Social Security benefits.
    • Your loans will remain in forbearance or stopped collections status until the discharges are completed.
    • You do not have to take any additional steps to receive this relief.

    What about payments I already made?

    • We are reviewing your eligibility for a refund, but please note that only some borrowers will receive a refund.
    • There are limited cases where borrowers may be eligible for a refund of any prior payments made on the Direct Loans that are being discharged.
    • The Department will provide you additional information if you are eligible for a refund.
    • You do not have to take any additional steps to receive a refund if you are eligible for one.

    Will all of my federal loans be discharged?

    • The Department is determining whether you have other Federal non-Direct loans (such as Federal Family Education Loans or Perkins Loans) relating to your claim.
    • If you do have those other types of loans, they will also be eligible for full discharge, but you will have to take some additional steps to receive this relief.
    • If you have these eligible loans, we will send you more information about the actions that need to be taken for these loans to be discharged. You do not have to take any additional steps unless and until we contact you again.
    • If we determine you do have these loans they will remain in forbearance or stopped collections status until you take any additional steps we tell you about and the discharges are completed.

    This borrower defense to repayment discharge by the Department does not apply to private student loans. Therefore, nothing in this email applies to any private student loans that you may have.

    This email only applies to the federal student loans that you received for the programs of study related to your approved claim.

    If you have questions about this notice, you can contact our borrower defense hotline at 1-855-279-6207 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET on Monday through Friday.

    Sincerely,

    U.S. Department of Education
    Federal Student Aid

    submitted by /u/eazyduzzitt
    [link] [comments]

    Free College Through BrightFutures

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 09:02 PM PDT

    Going through Reddit and reading all the student loan stories makes me feel extremely fortunate to have lived and went to college in Florida. If you didn't know, Florida has this program called BrightFutures that's paid by the Florida lottery where if you have certain stats (GPA, SAT/ACT score, volunteer hours) then you either get 100%, 75% or I believe 50% of college tuition paid for you by the government. A lot of my friends and I got the 100% one and literally graduated college debt free. It's crazy and unfortunate other states don't have something like this but the idea behind it is that Florida believes that by investing in "high achieving" high school students to go to their state colleges, they'll more likely retain talent in their state once they graduate. Just thought I'd share and see if anyone else not from Florida knew about this and their thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Gooseegg789
    [link] [comments]

    Teacher loan forgiveness grant… help

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 07:58 PM PDT

    I am finally able to apply for the teacher loan forgiveness grant. I've work at 2 different schools that both qualify. How do I apply using both schools? Do I need to fill out 2 different section 5s?

    submitted by /u/gaut_milk
    [link] [comments]

    (Relatively) Small loan - What’s the best approach?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 05:56 PM PDT

    So I've got about 10k in student loan debt. I know that isn't that much but I was homeless right out of school and I haven't touched it.

    Thankfully, because of COVID, I haven't worried about it for the past year. I recently called the government about paying it back, and they want to set my payment to about $150/month. I can afford that but it isn't ideal.

    With that said, I could pay it all off right now but I feel like there's a better way to do it than to burn through my life savings or be stuck with hefty payments for years.

    I want to be able to get my credit score up as much as possible with my payments. I read that paying debts all at once can negatively affect credit.

    Should I pay it off all at once? Bigger installments? Smaller (get my payment lowered)? Charge payments to a credit card & immediately pay it off?

    submitted by /u/nagranto
    [link] [comments]

    Loan Forgiveness Question

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 05:23 PM PDT

    Hello all, I hope this is the right place to ask this, if not please let me know a better subreddit for this type of question.

    I am pretty broke at the moment and I am running out of money in my college savings account. I was fortunate enough between scholarships and savings to be able to pay for my undergrad degree without debt, but now that I am in grad school I am not as fortunate.

    With all of the news about student loan forgiveness, my parents have been bugging me to get a loan for my graduate courses, saying "Biden will pay it for you" and other conservativey things like that. I have absolutely no idea how the loan forgiveness works but I told them I don't think it would apply to graduate students nor would it apply for attendees of a private college.

    So, I ask you, are they right and I should pursue a loan because there are advantages to this that have never existed before, or am I right and that this probably won't help me in my particular situation?

    submitted by /u/Datboy3
    [link] [comments]

    Closed school discharge or defraud forgiveness?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 12:41 PM PDT

    So my school Coleman university in San Diego closed, and I didn't qualify for closed school discharge because they talked me into graduating to get the paper degree and then re-enrolling for the bachelor program.

    My question is: would I have any chance of the loan being forgiven in either closed school or defrauded student? The school lost accreditation and was all over the news for it, and was "accredited" by the same ones who accredited ITT TECH.

    I want to continue my education, but it's been a couple years now and I'd have to retake my AS courses as a refresher, I'd rather not have to pay twice. Obviously I don't mind paying back what I borrowed, but it never hurts to ask.

    Thanks for any advice.. I'm stuck in a call center and looking for ways to improve my life and get out!

    submitted by /u/ozziesironmanoffroad
    [link] [comments]

    loan repayments email help

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 12:04 PM PDT

    i got an email to get ready for the repayment but i have 2 years in school left and my date to pay says 2024….

    is this just because the interest is going to be charged again?

    submitted by /u/spammy183727
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get through to a real person on the FAFSA line?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 06:33 AM PDT

    I can't seem to speak to a real person and I have a question about my parent plus loan covering off campus housing. The bot on the website is no help. Any tips on how to get a real person on the line?

    submitted by /u/sagecat21
    [link] [comments]

    private school loan.

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 02:36 PM PDT

    Hey Guys,

    I have a private student loan in which I've defaulted on. Its been with the sheriffs dept and I've been paying 10% of my wages weekly for 8 years now. I recently learned that I'm being charged $9 per day in interest. The balance is now $47K- more than $12k than I originally took out. Is there anything I can do ??

    submitted by /u/bdemolished
    [link] [comments]

    Can a Nelnet Authorized Payer see ALL payment history by all parties or only the history of their own contributions?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 02:18 PM PDT

    I am only seeing payments that I myself made. Are these the only payments made to the account? Or are the account owner's payments hidden from me because I am only an authorized payer?

    submitted by /u/paintpotion
    [link] [comments]

    Pursue PSLF or just focus on paying off the rest of my loans?

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 07:55 AM PDT

    I currently work full time for a local government and when payments resume on federal loans in February I'll be at my current job for 4 years. Previously, I worked in my same field for two local governments part time. One I averaged 19 hours a week and the other 15 hours a week. I should be coming up on six years of total work and payments under pslf around March. I make 50k, my remaining federal loans are 11800, and my only debt outside a mortgage. I don't expect significant raises at my day job. Maybe 1k a year. I might make more as my side hustle takes off. I just recertified my IBR plan and it will be 110 a month . I started off with 38k from college and grad school loans and have paid then down since 2017. Should I go for pslf at this point? Can I ask for those principle payments back? I have about 50 payments left by my calculation for pslf.

    submitted by /u/catdogthrowaway123
    [link] [comments]

    Between a rock and a hard place

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 11:18 AM PDT

    I used to attend UIC and was paid for by FAFSA. There was a issue and they rescinded they money they had applied to my account and left me with $13,000 balance on my student account. I cannot sign up for classes because of the money I owe, I cannot go to another school, and UIC's only help they offered was to pay it off in a 3 installment payment plan that's thousands of dollars a month and I cannot afford. I was accepted for a discover personal loan but they said I can't use it for anything school related, I got sent to student loans and they said that their loans will not cover past semesters. No one in my life can co sign but I have a full time job and a good credit score. I went to the demon that is Sallie Mae and went through the application process but they said the next step is to verify with the school and I know that UIC will deny it. I'm at a loss of what to do, any advice?

    submitted by /u/Difficult-Event-5306
    [link] [comments]

    Kids College Tuition Contribution

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 10:06 AM PDT

    I'm interested to know if and how you all contribute financially to your children who are in college? Do you pay their tuition, give larger allowance, or just help out as needed? I have one daughter in college and another entering next year. I want to be balanced to both girls but not be "empty-nest" poor.

    submitted by /u/GeologistNo9135
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment