• Breaking News

    Thursday, September 9, 2021

    2 Months into a new SDR position, but management has unreal expectations. Sales and Selling

    2 Months into a new SDR position, but management has unreal expectations. Sales and Selling


    2 Months into a new SDR position, but management has unreal expectations.

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 07:26 AM PDT

    Onboarded as an SDR at a company about 2.5 months ago moving out of the full cycle broker world. First we were all promised $200 bonuses if we booked a meeting on the first day of the month, turns out since 7 members of the team did it all of a sudden it's a raffle for one person to get it. Next in our company meeting yesterday our Sales Director blatantly said he wants us to double output with no new employees and expects us to double our quota in the next 3 months, the only prospecting tool we have? SalesIntel. I'm jumping ship as soon as I can, but is this what I can expect jumping into the SaaS and Tech world of sales? I'm really heated because I feel super deceived.

    submitted by /u/ISmoked5Kappas
    [link] [comments]

    So many people are unorganised it makes my blood boils

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 02:26 AM PDT

    This is a short rant and I'm just venting because so many people are completely disorganised.

    I'm cold calling and cold emailing all day to grow my marketing agency and even if I'm quite successful and I close many sales, the amount of no shows, people that forget about appointments and other stuff is RIDICULOUS.

    I have a software to send SMS and emails as a reminder and people still can't show up or forget.

    Sometimes they say stuff like:

    "I had a problem, can you call me tomorrow at 9:45 AM?"

    I call them and obviously they don't remember anything and are busy again, because when they suggested me the new time, they just said a random number.

    So I always end up disturbing them.

    People can be really disorganised and discrespectful and this is the only part that I truly hate about sales. (despite being quite good at it)

    End of the rant.

    (English is not my first language)

    submitted by /u/abaco12345
    [link] [comments]

    Is this the reality of a BDR position at a Fortune 100 company?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 08:12 AM PDT

    I came across this today on LinkedIn. It's one of the "ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS" for a BDR at DELL:

    • Strong sales skills with 5+ years of experience in high-tech, B2B service sales (renewal sales experience not required, but is a plus)

    Is this reality? Why would someone with 5+ years of high-tech B2B sales experience move to this position to make $57k (on average) in year one? Or is this simply trying to dissuade someone like me with no tech sales experience from applying? I'm currently transitioning from marketing/advertising sales to tech.

    I'm trying to gain some perspective on this.

    submitted by /u/rusHmatic
    [link] [comments]

    Transitioning - Sales/Customer Success

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 09:45 AM PDT

    Looking for some advice - I currently work in an AE role (heavy dose of account management, as well) for an Ed Tech company. I've had a strong career here (~3.5 years), top performer, coming off a strong year, part of several working/advisory councils, so all is going well. I've had conversations with my leadership about next steps for me, which would eventually be getting into sales management.

    Was just approached by a recruiter about a regional Director role for customer success at another Ed Tech company. I'm interested in it for a few reasons:

    1)Would be immediate management level - current company is huge aand not in a position to create a new management role for me so I'd need to wait for an opening

    2)Gives me immediate opportunity to work with C-Suite/Institutional level which current job does not offer (nor would a sales mgmt position with current company)

    3)Director role is fully remote - my girlfiend and I are looking to relocate out of current state next Summer for purely personal reasons. I've had conversations with my leadership about this already and they are happy to work with me on relocation, but I've had it in the back of my mind that there will remain a possibility that I would need to potentially look at other opportunities outside the company if there is not a desirable position open when moving time comes

    I feel stuck - I'm going to have an initial call with the person who would potentially be my boss at the new company next week to find out more about the role and see if it excites me, but my concern is getting into customer success because the revenue potential obviously isn't as high as sales, and so I'm worried that if I get into it and want to start getting into a higher revenue sales role again, my career arc will be screwed because I moved into CS and didn't stick with sales - does that make sense?

    On the other hand, having management and insitutional/C-Level experience would be a big boost since there's no reasonable current path for me to get into that with current company.

    Help!

    submitted by /u/dschilling88
    [link] [comments]

    Rate my cold email plz

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 08:18 AM PDT

    Hey what's up r/sales!

    I wanted everyone's opinion on my cold email template that I send out to restaurants. My company is one of those 3rd party delivery services and I sell restaurants on the value of increased orders through visibility on our app. Check this out:

    Subject line: 🔵🔵 XXX users want [Restaurant]! 🔵🔵

    Hello!

    I'm with XXX, and you've probably already been contacted by someone from my organization before.

    I'll cut right to the chase because I know your time is valuable.

    The reason why I am writing to you is because XXX can send new, additional orders to [Restaurant] from our 31 million active users, and I thought you might have some interest in learning more about getting partnered with us.

    We recently changed our pricing structure in order to offer more aggressive rates.

    Other locations in your area are seeing an average of $[market average] in sales in just 30 days.

    A location as successful and delicious as yours could easily expect double that amount or more.

    Please reply here, and I'll respond usually the same business day.

    Cheers,

    u/aPeiceOfShit

    Thanks in advance! If you require additional info I would be happy to comply!

    submitted by /u/aPeiceOfShit
    [link] [comments]

    I make $300K and I am 30. Is it career suicide to quit now? (7 min read)

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 11:45 PM PDT

    I finally have "made it" to the all glorious outside sales role as an AE for a large, Fortune 100 company (and have been here for over a year). I work in the tech industry selling software. This role for me is something that I have put blood, sweat and tears to accomplish over the last five years. A career goal of mine that I set out five years ago that I am very proud to be able to say I have reached (one my parents are very proud of too). Yet I have never been so unhappy or stressed out.

    I am 30M, with no dependents. I do well in sales and can confidently say I am almost always above average in quota achievement. I am a consistent performer that management can always depend on for very stable numbers and I call my business well.

    The problem is not the sales aspect of the job itself, nor the nature of it being a "stressful" sales job. I love selling, the mental stimulation, and the challenge of it. I am also a very well researched buyer myself.

    It is IMO, the company. I have worked for companies of all sizes and when you hit the Fortune 100, especially if there are a handful of acquired companies within, the processes and internal slowness make me want to bang my head every day against the wall. I also work with large enterprise clients which means that not only do I have to hurdle over the slow and unoptimized processes, I also have to coordinate and meet with all our other sales teams (different products) who share these accounts before I reach out to ensure we have an coordinated effort (not really a problem, more to share the nature of the job given our large portfolio of products which adds to the "slowness" of the role.

    Dealing with the above, especially working in a remote environment, never meeting my team, never meeting my coworkers - I feel very burnt out. I no longer find selling for them exciting, but instead a grueling internal process battle. I find I can't deliver to my standards for my customers, an example are quotes that take obnoxiously long to be sent out where even if I set expectations with the customers, there's always that angry phone call from them and partners. Finding answers to how a certain process works or finding the right contact to speak to about said process/problem is like finding Waldo. When you finally find them, you realize they work in a time zone that has no overlap with your workday. I want to note that I truly understand all companies have internal challenges and pains that you just must deal with. This one is definitely an outlier.

    The generous pay also keeps a lot of below average workers around, especially ones who have been around for decades. With size of the company, it feels like people do not want to take ownership when problems or difficult questions arise. I get commended for calling things out when I find them to be incorrect or where I fine major inefficiencies, yet I have zero motivation to continue to do so as each time I spend cycles working with internal teams sharing what I find to be the issue, sharing how I would optimize it, and them ultimately telling me "thank you" with no change. It gets demotivating and the result usually is, "it is what it is". Management likes to use something along this line too, because they too are powerless to make change so there's no point to have constructive conversation.

    I also don't feel I am learning anymore. The nature of the sale is the same as the last four years, just with much more coordination given the size of accounts. When I am interested in something, I have experienced hyper focus. It is challenging to focus here. The technology is ok, but nothing to be excited about. I have worked for other tech/software companies where I know how it feels to really believe in a product.

    The good is that I have a great and understanding manager. My pay is very generous for what I do. And I get to work fully remotely with a flexible-ish schedule.

    I know this job, the stress and frustrations that come with it have taken a heavy toll on me mentally. I have little patience. I get irritated quicker. I find myself dreading life Sunday night. I feel my coworkers keep dropping the ball, which in turn adds to my stress (in turn I end up doing things myself to avoid having to be let down or faulting others for poor results). I sometimes can't even get myself to do an hour of simple work, but instead will procrastinate for the whole night, wasting it and feeling bad. I take the stress home too, affecting my loved ones. And this stress gets in the way of my sleep. Sleep is a big thing. When I don't sleep, my next day starts poorly, and mentally I am drained by the end of the workday to enjoy time with loved ones and hobbies. I feel that my hobbies have taken a heavy hit in the last six months.

    I have read hundreds of threads and articles of other people's considerations to quit, watched videos, discussed with mentors, trusted friends, and my parents. My parents will support me either way. They agree money isn't everything, but I can tell it is hard for them for me to just "give up the job" as without their support and perseverance in my education, I wouldn't be in this position. It's almost a family achievement in some senses. There isn't an easy answer. I don't have a backup plan. I don't have a side hustle (yet). I also don't want to jump into another company right away.

    Here we are, the Great Resignation of 2021. Do I be part of the statistic? This decision has been eating at me for months. I have written pages and pages of the pros and cons. My logical answer is to change companies, to a much smaller company where I can really be a part of a team and care about the company because I truly believe in the product. Being not just a number in a gigantic number is nice too. But I know I am burnt out. I feel that I need time to recover, reflect, be bored, and really see where I want to focus my efforts on. Or maybe in that reflection time choose happiness and wealth in my health and relationships over money (my life goal as a kid was to "make bank", evidently money is not everything and I am learning this by trial and error).

    My heart tells me I want a break entirely. My brain is scared of what a self-directed sabbatical or career break might do for future prospects when I want to be in corporate again. And here I still am wearing these darn golden handcuffs.

    If you made it down to here - I truly thank you for giving sharing time out of your day/evening to read.

    I would love to hear about any similar experiences or if you are currently in this position as well and am very open to feedback.

    submitted by /u/wheredidtimegotoday
    [link] [comments]

    What does a new SDR want their daily life to look like ?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 08:09 AM PDT

    Hello , about to start to hire SDRs , looking for new SDRs , with or without degrees , very open to returning to work from being stay at home mom and leaving the service industry . What perks or daily life of this job to a potential brand new hire and new to corporate even possibly want to see to be interested ? What type of weekly or daily mentoring is appreciated ? If you are an SDR that feels valued and encouraged , what is happening that makes you feel this way ?

    submitted by /u/Ok_Ask671
    [link] [comments]

    How do you guys track your prospects and touch points?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 09:04 AM PDT

    I work in personal lines insurance and struggle to accurately track when I call people and the next time I should call someone.

    I take good notes, but it becomes overwhelming when I'm calling 50-100 people per day.

    Just wanted to see what others do.

    submitted by /u/Lg71199
    [link] [comments]

    Med device is kicking my teeth in. Would appreciate some advice as I’m still pretty new to this industry.

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 11:00 AM PDT

    I don't know what to do at this point with trying to make things happen. I have a green territory. About 15 accounts out of 150ish. We sell disposables used by nursing staff and some capital equipment that can be used anywhere for disinfection. I've made a couple of sales and have product trials set up but it's slower than management thinks it should be and I'm way off quota for the year. It's affecting everyone in my company to the point half our sales team has quit, 6 people in the last month.

    I'm driving all over the place and struggling to get into any facility. I'm too new to be this burnt out and exhausted as I've only been here since December. We're expected to be in the field 4 days per week visiting facilities and I'm not sure it's working as it was before the pandemic.

    Are any of you doing show up unannounced visits to hospitals? Is it going well? What's working for you?

    I could really use some advice to overcome some of these issues. I want to succeed here and the way it's going now, I don't think that's going to happen.

    submitted by /u/QuestionableRuse
    [link] [comments]

    NEED ADVICE: How do you sell a translation service?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 09:20 AM PDT

    Hi! I'm 1 month in to my new job and haven't booked and demos yet :( I'm an AE (though i will be handling the entire process from lead generation to closing).

    I'm not sure if I've generated the wrong leads/ industries, called the wrong people, or just really lousy at selling. 90% goes unanswered/voicemail, while the rest would just say "no need for translation services / will keep you in mind if ever."

    I've always committed to an organized process - lead gen - calls - email sequences. I've also done LinkedIn searches to see if someone has posted needing translations, but haven't gotten any solid reply. Help a new AE out :(

    PS: Is selling a translation service really a straightforward thing? (Whether they need it or not, if not, move on to the next lead?)

    submitted by /u/SushiSamgyup
    [link] [comments]

    How do you approach target customer at virtual LinkedIn events?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 09:00 AM PDT

    Hi veteran salespeople!

    I'm validating a SaaS product and have already gone through the target customers in my network. Next, I plan to attend Linkedin events specific to my product area and talk to the attendees.

    Since the event is virtual, I don't expect opportunities to mingle and have organic conversations. What are some of the ways for me to chat with attendees and have organic conversations? I'm used to in-person events where I can have 1:1 or small group conversations. How do you do that on Zoom? I also want to note that this is my first virtual conference; would love to hear about your experience meeting people virtually.

    Thanks all!

    submitted by /u/Into_Wonderland
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a little guidance

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 12:19 PM PDT

    I have a bit of a dilemma. I'm 25, I have about one year of sales experience on my resume and it is with the company I am currently at (base salary + commission, leads provided by company). I currently sell pest control and animal exclusion services (basic home repair), and I have become one of the top salesmen at my company. Unfortunately, we are so short-staffed and basically unable to hire anyone that it looks like our branch of the company is literally going to fold. I go out and sell all day, and literally I have a sales conversion rate of over 100% because I sell all the leads they give me and generate a few sales separately on my own, but none of it matters because we are so understaffed half the jobs I sell never even get done. The circumstances are so dire that one of my immediate bosses has already left for a new job, while the second of my immediate bosses has told me he is now looking for a new job.

    I live in a reasonably sized city of about half a million people, and most of the sales job opportunities I'm seeing are for foundation/home repair/construction type sales jobs, although there are a few SaaS jobs as well. I really like the company I currently work for and I have plenty of savings to "ride out the storm" if need be, but frankly I just want to work at a place where I can safely earn my money and not have to worry about the literal impending collapse of my place of work.

    I guess what I'm looking for is some advice, it never hurts to get an opinion from an outside perspective. Anyone have any ideas as to what I should do? This has basically all happened within the past week. It is possibly that I may earn myself a promotion to a serious leadership position by sticking it out, but I wouldn't count on it. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated

    submitted by /u/hokie1996
    [link] [comments]

    How do you handle Zoom fatigue?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 11:57 AM PDT

    Like many people here I work for a SaaS org in a AE sales role. I have multiple 60-90 min demo calls every day AND a lot times these calls are back to back to back. My company wants us to have our cameras on at all times during the calls. This isn't usually a problem, my issue is when you jump on a call with a client and they all have their cameras off. Do you believe there should be still a requirement for a sales person to keep their camera on regardless OR do you believe that if a client has their camera off then you shouldn't have to keep yours on? Curious to hear what other experience/think on this.

    submitted by /u/phil_it2003
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone help me review my cold email?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 03:16 AM PDT

    I have been looking for a digital marketing support group because I'm on a journey to find my first client, and it's been fulI of confusion. I decided to share my cold email here to get feedback.

    ******COLD EMAIL***************** Subject: Let me know what you think (Name)

    Hi (Name), can you give me permission to do this?

    I would like to make an online lead generation plan for you for free. This free online lead generation plan will help you consistently get high quality (local area) buyer and seller leads while reducing the time needed to find leads.

    Interested in getting the free online lead generation plan? Let me know and I will start working on it immediately.

    Chi Resha, Lead Generation Specialist for Real Estate Agents. Not interested in hearing from me again? ➡Click here⬅

    submitted by /u/Charlotte_ngala
    [link] [comments]

    Curating LinkedIn Connections

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 06:30 AM PDT

    About the importance of having a quality network in B2B sales:

    When I was starting (SDR) out about a year ago, I was adding every lead I was reaching out to on LinkedIn. I now have a network that has some folks below manager level or in non-relevant fields, in addition to quality connections with decision makers in my solution's field. I now only add leads who are decision makers and relevant to our solution.

    Recognizing the importance of a quality network when trying to book meetings over LinkedIn, is it worth me going and un-connecting with the folks who are less senior or in non-relevant fields?

    submitted by /u/virgji15
    [link] [comments]

    Software sales: How can a pre-sales professional best support sales people, teams, and processes in a company? What are the good things you look for in a pre-sales person?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 03:40 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    How can a pre-sales professional best support sales people, teams, and processes in a company? What are the good things you look for in a pre-sales person?

    submitted by /u/TheDataGentleman
    [link] [comments]

    Selling digital experiences

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 09:33 AM PDT

    Hi there, I'm looking at a role at Infosys selling digital experiences. It's a slash consultant/sales/project style role. Has anyone worked in a role similar to this?

    submitted by /u/uproxx4tron
    [link] [comments]

    Overcoming Sales Anxiety and Staying Relaxed

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 06:13 PM PDT

    I have been doing sales as an account manager and have been cold calling on businesses for a year. I do pretty well in the job but can feel tense during some calls. Maybe I am trying too hard . I make an average of 20 calls a day. I do not have a fear of making the calls but there are times where I have difficulty staying relaxed while talking for some calls and can feel tense in some calls. This feeling builds up throughout the day and can become more difficult to handle later on throughout the day. By the end of the day my body just feels really tense and feel pretty uncomfortable. Can anyone relate to this? Has anyone been able to overcome this and learned to stay more relaxed throughout the day during calls?

    submitted by /u/threedeaths
    [link] [comments]

    Prospecting

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 03:22 AM PDT

    I am about to start a new job where I will be prospecting for sales. Before, I sold home improvements with a lot of inbound calls, and now I'm transitioning to B2B sales where I have to create my own pipeline.

    What is a good and quick method of creating a list of good quality prospects? I have a lot to learn I'm regards to the service I will be selling, but I can at least try and start my first day making calls for a couple of hours.

    I have a good idea on how to do it, but I am in no way the smartest person on Reddit and if I can start my new job with as much ammo as possible, I think I will have a better chance at success.

    submitted by /u/aarongorn92
    [link] [comments]

    What's your opinion on the SaaS company Workday?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 11:10 PM PDT

    Hey guys, there are a lot of threads about tech companies like Microsoft, Google, Salesforce, Docusign and so on. But it seems the ERP company Workday is not really present around here. So I'm wondering what's your opinion about that firm. Cheers.

    submitted by /u/Frosty194
    [link] [comments]

    How To Be Myself?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 07:54 PM PDT

    How can I be more myself when on the phone?

    I'm good at thinking on my feet and things like that in real life, but once I'm dialing I subconsciously put on this fake persona that's too focused on doing things that I think is "right" and avoiding being myself, when my managers literally only hired me because of my personality.

    Essentially I turn off my personality and become more robotic, like a shell of myself when I'm on the phones and I don't know why I do this.

    Has anyone else dealt with this and overcame it?

    submitted by /u/NotKoreanSpy
    [link] [comments]

    Working at TQL - Sales manager

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 07:57 PM PDT

    Hi all. Has anyone worked as a sales manager @ TQL? I've been contacted by them for an interview and it's a challenge to find any information. Seems that the sales reps are either happy or miserable. Wonder what it's like for a sales manager. Not afraid of hard work, but don't want to give up my life for any job. Compensation is hard to find as well. Ranges from 75k - 180k based on what I'm finding. Quite a range. Any feedback would be great.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Ronster125
    [link] [comments]

    Are these quotas reasonable for a SDR?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 01:35 AM PDT

    How's it going, I am currently interviewing for a SDR role at two companies that I both can see my self working at. This is my first job in sales so I am wondering if these quotas are reasonable for the someone as a SDR. Thank you!

    The first job -

    All outbound, 50+ cold calls, send 50+ personalized emails, and find 5 new contacts to add to call list per day

    Second job-

    All outbound, 500 emails per week with a majority of them being automated. Could change to 30 cold calls/300 emails per week. (I would be the first SDR)

    submitted by /u/ItsCousinCletus
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment