• Breaking News

    Tuesday, October 13, 2020

    Startups Manic Mondays: Support To Get You Through The Week: Share What You Need Help With, Job Postings, For Hire Offers, or Resources

    Startups Manic Mondays: Support To Get You Through The Week: Share What You Need Help With, Job Postings, For Hire Offers, or Resources


    Manic Mondays: Support To Get You Through The Week: Share What You Need Help With, Job Postings, For Hire Offers, or Resources

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 06:08 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Support Thread. Please refer to the below suggested formats to get the most out of this thread.

    Need Support?

    Please use the following format to seek support:

    SUPPORT REQUEST

    What I am working on: What I need support with: Why I need support with this: My questions to the community: Requested Resources: Relevant URL: [if applicable] Additional Comments: Please add any additional comments that may provide more context around what you need support with so others can provide the most relevant support or guidance to you.

    Job Provider?

    Please use the following format to post a job listing:

    HIRING Company Name and URL: Job Title/Role: Employment Type: [Intern] [Contract] [Part Time] [Full Time] [Remote] Job Description/Responsibilities: Necessary Skills and Experience: Requested, but not necessary Skills and Experience: Job Compensation: Willing to Relocate New Hire: [yes] [no] Job Listing URL: Additional Comments:

    Please add any additional comments that may provide more context around the job listing to make it easier for the right people to apply.

    Job Seeker?

    Please use the following format to post an offer to work :

    FOR HIRE Title/Role: Desired Location: Willing to Relocate: [yes] [no] Remote Availability: [yes] [no] Relevant Skills and Experience: Requested Salary/Hourly Rate: Resume/Portfolio URL: Additional Comments:

    Please add any additional comments that may provide more context around the job listing to make it easier for the right people to apply.

    Resource Provider?

    Please use the following format to post an offer to work :

    RESOURCE Organization Name and URL: Location Served: Resource Name: Resource Description: Resource URL: Resource Cost:

    Do not forget to explore the /r/startups discord. We have many relevant channels to seek support, post job listings, share for hire offers, and share resources. You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    My boss doesn't have a clear vision or know how to explain it

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 09:21 PM PDT

    I'm getting frustrated, I feel like every few months there is a new direction. Our company isnt very new but has recently been growing quickly. My boss keeps changing on how we will be adding roles and what my role or others roles are. Everyone seems to do everything. Weve seen success in segmenting roles and responsibilities but my boss can't deal with 1 person doing 1 task, but loves for one person to do 4-6 things. How can I manage this? It's really frustrating to be clear one day and then a new story from him a few weeks later.

    submitted by /u/fvaiz
    [link] [comments]

    What are some ways you guys have validated your idea?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 04:03 PM PDT

    Hey guys. I'm just starting out an idea, but before I 100% commit to it, I want to validate it to make sure that people want it. I've created a survey, but I'm having a difficult time reaching people? Are there any other methods to validating your idea? Also, if you guys used surveys, how were you able to get people to fill it out?

    submitted by /u/Reasonable-Run-3577
    [link] [comments]

    How to get traction for virtual restaurant?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 02:39 PM PDT

    I am working on a delivery-only restaurant that handles its own ordering and delivery platform to help groups choose dishes from a data-driven menu that covers a wide range of cuisines.

    This operation is very capital intensive, both the set up of the kitchen operation as wel as the web/app development. Before getting seed funding we need to show some traction. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can show some traction?

    Edit: just to add, our business is looking to implement unique features that sets us apart from the competition. This is why a customised order experience is a must. Even if we don't go with a customised solution, a restaurant is still very capital intensive.

    submitted by /u/MMCREDDIT
    [link] [comments]

    The Modern Gold Rush: Education

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 10:06 AM PDT

    I was recently reading about the Ed-Tech startups and how this year has witnessed a boom of venture investing in the sector. One of the articles resonated with my ideology of how investors have been rushing to get the next big thing in the startup space.

    The timing couldn't be better than 2020, the policies and restrictions complement the trend but what makes me sceptical is the future and sustainability. Ease of use and access is something that drives innovation in all the sectors but being caged up inside homes (for our benefits obviously), I feel the general population is understanding the importance of physical peer-to-peer learning.

    The growth aspects for Ed-Tech sector seem limited and once they hit the caps in terms of revenue, I feel scaling would be very difficult.

    What do you people think?

    submitted by /u/BellicoseBear
    [link] [comments]

    Just incorporated in Delaware. Now what?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 03:10 PM PDT

    Hi guys!

    I am the co-founder & CEO of the incorporated Delaware company. I incorporated the company by filing Certificate of Incorporation online and was charged the filing fee. We authorized 10M shares at a minimum par value (0.00001)

    I have been reading the necessary steps almost everywhere but I am still little bit confused. Here why I am confused:

    1) 83(b) Election deadline. This letter must be sent within 30 days of issuing the shares. What is the exact time of issuance of shares? The moment when the SoS charges my credit card or the moment I file the Certificate of Incorporation? Or the moment when my co-founder & I make an internal agreement for the distribution of shares?

    2) 83(b) Election of how many shares? We authorized 10M shares. We want to keep 2M shares for the investors & prospective employees. Also, the rest 8M shares will be vested in 4 years with 1 year cliff. In this case, when filing 83(b) Election, should I put 4M or 5M?

    3) Action by Incorporator. I am the CEO and my co-founder is CTO. Should I just say: Me and my co-founder will be the directors of the company?

    Thank you very much and I hope it is a question that deserves to be answered!

    submitted by /u/sautku
    [link] [comments]

    I am selling a Free Hosting Reseller with Real Clients

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 12:53 AM PDT

    Hey, guys!

    In the end summer '19 I started a web hosting reseller website - http://www.websitefreehost.com . As it is one project too much for me, I decided to sell it.

    There are a few things you ought to know about the business:

    Once you acquire the project, you won't have any responsibilities, except paying for the domain name to your provider of choice, and to market your new business, of course.

    If you have a well-developed website, especially somehow related to digital marketing, creating websites, technology, or anything other, in fact, you could easily utilize the traffic that you already have.

    As of today, Website Free Host has exactly 100 clients, and without advertisement or any marketing at all, 1353 people have landed on the site.

    The website has an Instagram and a Facebook page. With 1818 followers and 248 likes, respectively.

    The price, that I am looking for is $2.5 a client. Meaning $250 total. The price is discussable within reasonable confinement.

    submitted by /u/DonaldFuckingTeump
    [link] [comments]

    Baking Mixes - does it fall under cottage food laws?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 06:15 PM PDT

    I have an idea for baking mixes to sell via online for nationwide shipping. Does this fall under cottage food laws since it's just ingredients and not cooked? If it does fall under cottage foods and my state (NY) allows it, does that mean I'm unable to ship outside the state?

    submitted by /u/sl14
    [link] [comments]

    How do I prevent a business partner from stealing my idea?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 11:10 PM PDT

    So I'm currently recruiting computer scientists to develop my app, which is in the beginning stages. How would i go about preventing whoever i recruit from stealing my idea? I know a couple of people who've had this happen to them, so i want to be safe. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/rickyp1313
    [link] [comments]

    What marketing should pre-startup do?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 12:25 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I'm in the middle of running a startup and the MVP is created. However, before going live, I want to have some early customers. The startup is in the field of product restock and I managed to get a wholesaler interested. That was just a cold-email. But I'm not sure what other tactics?

    I'm also stuck on pricing, how do I choose the right pricing?

    Any help id appreciated?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/azhan15
    [link] [comments]

    Poster Company photo licensing issues

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 05:28 PM PDT

    Hey all!

    I want to start a poster company and legally use images of rappers, sports players, influencers, and so on. However, I'm unsure of how to go about obtaining the rights to use an image for the profit of printing.

    Is anyone familiar, or is there a hub where I can purchase images to have fair use? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/lxuw
    [link] [comments]

    How would you validate a in house on demand delivery start-up?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 08:10 PM PDT

    What is the best way to validate a on demand delivery service with multiple in house product offerings (so no third party goods) and minimal budget at this stage? Would you try and do something along the lines of acting as a middle man and purchasing goods at another vendor whenever an order comes in? Would you break into your development budget and actually purchase a bit of stock? Or would you go about this in a different way altogether? We are trying to do a large scale validation test in a mid sized city right now if scale of validation matters at all. Any advice would be much appreciated?

    submitted by /u/JG98
    [link] [comments]

    Preparing to Hire Sales

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 10:13 AM PDT

    Hey Folks, I am preparing to hire our first sales reps. We are bootstrapping so it will be commission only, but the sale cycle is short, the message is easy, we are actually asking folks to spend less money but just spend it with us, I am providing leads, and there is a salary ramp. Also the comp package I think is very good. I asked some friends what they thought and got good feedback. So that should be fair.

    But what else should I prepare or think about, and what should I expect? I have a contract ready to go. Should I expect them to make presentations, white papers, etc? Should I be getting that stuff together now? Basically how do I successfully integrate a sales person into my operations?

    I realize a lot of these things are situational but hearing others experience would be great.

    submitted by /u/Sregor_Nevets
    [link] [comments]

    Question about what type of licenses I need.

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 01:33 PM PDT

    Hi there!

    This is my first time posting here so I hope this is appropriate!

    I have been slowly building a small business locally over the last year. About 6 months ago things started to pick up RAPIDLY. I can now barely keep up with sales alone and am looking into a warehouse and production staff, etc. I have gotten my products into about 40 stores in North and South Carolina (we are based in NC) as the business expands quickly I want to make sure I'm doing everything legally and legitimately!

    My business is formed as an LLC in NC. Most of the stores we sell to are small mom and pop shops that pay me cash and retail my products, is this legal? I keep track of all my invoices but I never made any agreements or did any paperwork for these stores. We have our products in 1 large chain that's based in NC but also has stores in SC, this store is very legitimate and gave me all the legal paperwork and tax exemption forms.

    We also sell a decent amount of products through our online website but 90% of our sales are wholesale to retail stores and 10% are direct to customers.

    My main questions are:

    1. Do I need a special license to sell wholesale products to retail stores as well as direct to customers?
    2. Do I need a license to operate in multiple states? I plan to expand to almost every state in the future.
    3. Do I need to add sales tax to my wholesale sales?

    I appreciate any advice in advance and look forward to joining this community,

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Sidog11
    [link] [comments]

    Contract Negotiations Help

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 05:15 PM PDT

    Hi everyone!

    Two people that I have worked with are going to be starting a new company soon. I worked under both of them as a SaaS sales and marketing representative (Many hats, you know how it goes) for almost two years and built up a great reputation with both of them. They personally asked if I would come on with them in a similar role.

    Because we will be starting from scratch, I told them I would like to include in my contract a stock option as well as severance pay.

    For stock option I've done some research but I'm not sure exactly what to ask for/what is beneficial to me but also reasonable. Something like the option to purchase 1,000 shares for $1 per share at any point. Is this the right direction? Please give me your advice.

    For severance, I would like to ask for 6 months of residuals if I am let go (I assume they will respond with stipulations for this). The reason I want to request this is technically if I built up a large amount of residual income, they could let me go any time to save some money (I live in an at-will state). I don't think they would ever do this, but I think it's smart to have some sort of protection from this.

    Please give a young guy some advice! I have been given such amazing advice from this community and am very thankful.

    submitted by /u/Toni-Bologna
    [link] [comments]

    Best place to find a Technical Co-Founder for my new startup?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 11:54 AM PDT

    I'm just about done with my site and thought it might be a good idea to find a Technical Co-Founder. Any ideas or suggestions on where to find one? My startup is an E-Learning site and is around the DevOps space. While working a full time job I'm finding it very difficult to get everything done as quickly as I want to go Live. I have to finish the website, do all the learning content, do all the marketing, manage everything and I need help. I don't have anything to offer the co-founder except a percentage of the business. My startup is unique and targets a specific audience.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/ghettolabs
    [link] [comments]

    Website hosts

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 01:11 PM PDT

    Hi! I'm planning my e-commerce startup and am really overwhelmed with website host options, I'm currently a student so I can't afford to pay $700 a year for an e-commerce plan (Wordpress + WooCommerce was my first choice) does anyone have any suggestions for affordable e-commerce plans?

    My business is a subscription box - I want a highly customizable but simple to use website as I'll be doing it myself. My main goals are to acquire customers long term, so I want it to allow easy subscription payment options and be accessible.

    submitted by /u/badbitch599
    [link] [comments]

    Saving user photos on a server - do I need explicit consent?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 12:22 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, I have a question that I couldn't find an answer to online. I'm building a website (EU based) where users can upload photos (e.g. of a restaurant menu) and then these photos are processed to extract some data and present it to users in a different way. I can't link a photo to a particular user after it's uploaded, and it can't be accessed by any other user of the website. I'm doing it to be able to improve the algorithm and I want to avoid introducing friction into the UI.

    Do I need to explicitly inform users that these photos are being saved on my server, and ask for consent?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/rowas11104
    [link] [comments]

    How do you deal with "If other VCs didn't invest in you, why should we?"

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 12:02 PM PDT

    I was just having this question at the back of my mind, I mean I don't have a startup yet but will do in the future, if you are an entrepreneur who has put your time, money and effort into assembling a team to build your vision, and then on seed stage/serie A, VCs decided to ask you this question "If other VCs didn't invest in you, why should we?", what would be your response to it?

    submitted by /u/Bat_Programmatically
    [link] [comments]

    IT Infrastructure & Desktop support

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 05:15 AM PDT

    Hi all, I after a bit of advice really, I am really eager to be my own boss, I have the skills set required and looking to take my career one step further.

    I want to start an IT business which supports both; Home users Small business users & infrastructure.

    I currently work in a 3rd line Infrastructure role and currently support over 1000 people for very little money, and I want to take the reigns and do this myself.

    I understand that contractual agreements will need to be in place, for example, we support X and we don't support Y.

    But can anyone give me any pointers on the first steps I should do to get this running.

    I currently work from home so time isn't an issue. I can juggle both jobs.

    Thanks for everyone's help.

    submitted by /u/JoshhMetal
    [link] [comments]

    Importance of non-disclosures in food industry?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 11:12 AM PDT

    Specifically I'm going into the protein supplements industry. I will be working with a manufacturer to make flavours that I have not seen yet in the market but I am unsure the importance of non-disclosures in general and more specifically in this industry. Should I be making the manufacturer sign one before I disclose what ingredients I would like them to source or are non-disclosures not that important?

    submitted by /u/Idkmanusernamesrhard
    [link] [comments]

    Can we talk about domain registration spammers?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 10:41 AM PDT

    I recently registered a .us domain for the startup I'm working on. The .us domains don't have the WHOIS privacy settings so right now my personal phone number and email address are attached to my registration.

    I've been feeling the wave of spam callers, text, and emails today and wanted to ask if anyone has had this experience before?

    I've registered a personal website and didn't experience this phenomenon so I didn't have too many concerns while registering this domain. Does this end up stopping as time passes/is there something I should do?

    Additionally, what would be the best practice for registering domains in the future?

    submitted by /u/puff_frosty
    [link] [comments]

    Where do you promote your cyber moday sale?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 06:52 AM PDT

    Other than to your own audience on social media, email and in-app messaging. Are there any websites that list the biggest cyber monday discounts in saas? Aggregators?

    Or contacting blogs that usually post in your niche? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Criss-Istr
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment