• Breaking News

    Tuesday, October 6, 2020

    Startups Manic Mondays: Support To Get You Through The Week: Share What You Need Help With, Job Postings, For Hire Offers, or Resources

    Startups Manic Mondays: Support To Get You Through The Week: Share What You Need Help With, Job Postings, For Hire Offers, or Resources


    Manic Mondays: Support To Get You Through The Week: Share What You Need Help With, Job Postings, For Hire Offers, or Resources

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 06:08 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Support Thread. Please refer to the below suggested formats to get the most out of this thread.

    Need Support?

    Please use the following format to seek support:

    SUPPORT REQUEST

    What I am working on: What I need support with: Why I need support with this: My questions to the community: Requested Resources: Relevant URL: [if applicable] Additional Comments: Please add any additional comments that may provide more context around what you need support with so others can provide the most relevant support or guidance to you.

    Job Provider?

    Please use the following format to post a job listing:

    HIRING Company Name and URL: Job Title/Role: Employment Type: [Intern] [Contract] [Part Time] [Full Time] [Remote] Job Description/Responsibilities: Necessary Skills and Experience: Requested, but not necessary Skills and Experience: Job Compensation: Willing to Relocate New Hire: [yes] [no] Job Listing URL: Additional Comments:

    Please add any additional comments that may provide more context around the job listing to make it easier for the right people to apply.

    Job Seeker?

    Please use the following format to post an offer to work :

    FOR HIRE Title/Role: Desired Location: Willing to Relocate: [yes] [no] Remote Availability: [yes] [no] Relevant Skills and Experience: Requested Salary/Hourly Rate: Resume/Portfolio URL: Additional Comments:

    Please add any additional comments that may provide more context around the job listing to make it easier for the right people to apply.

    Resource Provider?

    Please use the following format to post an offer to work :

    RESOURCE Organization Name and URL: Location Served: Resource Name: Resource Description: Resource URL: Resource Cost:

    Do not forget to explore the /r/startups discord. We have many relevant channels to seek support, post job listings, share for hire offers, and share resources. You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    For any early stage employees stuck with startups verbally promising significant equities, CTO position and no salary: Run away and stop undervaluing yourself.

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 12:40 PM PDT

    Background: ~4 years experience. Was member of core technical team of 2 startups that had successful exits. Had few startup failures as well from which I have learnt a lot.

    Until 2 months ago, I was stuck in a pretty bad situation (CTO position with no salary, low equity, only verbal contract, very abusive founders) at a startup without realising it. Now that I am out of it and doing well, it was so apparent that they were using me.

    If you are stuck in any such situation, I highly suggest you look up Stockholm Syndrome, seek help and GET OUT of it immediately. After reflecting on input on my previous post, it became clear to me that I was swimming deep in their bullshit for months. The mental torture is just not worth it and I think it only adds to the self-doubt. Thanks to this subreddit I got out and have entirely cut them off.

    Besides, I was highly undervaluing my skills and expertise due to their constant demotivation and threats. Little did I know that there was tremendous demand for experienced CTOs and the value we bring to the table when it comes to building quick MVPs and MERN based scalable applications post idea validation/market fit. I got over my fear, skipped the freelancer phase entirely and took the leap to start my own 2 person software development company-cum-venture studio last month on 8th September-- after targeting only HNWI and their side ventures, today we crossed 74 Lakhs ($95k+) in sales with a solid MRR despite of the pandemic. Thankfully, we are getting more projects from existing handful of clients and their word-of-mouth referral, so we are not even pitching any more for now.

    Do what you do best. And please stop wasting your valuable time with people who do not value you or constantly bring you down-- be it friends, family or co-workers. Also, do not work with anyone based on verbal confirmation - get it on paper with legal help and protect your interests. Dishonest and abusive people always show their real colours when you ask them for a written contract.

    submitted by /u/_MrRobot_
    [link] [comments]

    Why isnt a startup solving the problem of voting?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 10:44 AM PDT

    It does look like there is acute pain in the electoral process in America. If anyone was doing a customer development process, it would come up fair and square that there is a dire need for a system that would be reliable and can scale - as the pandemic and lack of trust with ballots is a double whammy otherwise.

    With all the talk about consensus based systems and blockchains, why isnt there consideration for a system that can solve this at scale? It might even be a system that would benefit the whole world at large conduct free and fair elections, all via their mobile devices.

    Edit : While I say Startup, it could also be a non-profit foundation, backed by tech giants who could commit resources plus talent to build this solution, which would then be managed / executed via the government + volunteers.

    submitted by /u/vijayanands
    [link] [comments]

    How to evaluate startup "bets"

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 01:57 AM PDT

    I wrote up a piece about how I personally evaluate offers from startups. What do you think, and what are the methodologies you use to quantify stock option vs salary sacrifice when joining startups?

    https://medium.com/@Zarrasvand/poker-theories-to-consider-when-sacrificing-salary-for-stocks-in-a-startup-3eefedcaf147

    submitted by /u/siavoshzarrasvand
    [link] [comments]

    Got an idea for an app and would like to develop the idea further how

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 04:49 PM PDT

    So I got an idea for an app that I think could work, everyone I have asked so far thinks it's a good idea and can't find many problems with it.

    However my problem is I don't know where to go from here how do turn my idea of an app into a business or company?

    Just would like more knowledge of how it all works, as this is all new to me and I want to test the waters

    submitted by /u/Smellyminj
    [link] [comments]

    Startup Employee or Build my own startup?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 09:51 PM PDT

    Hi guys, so I will keep this simple, I am a recent grad that has done a startup in my second year and then started working with an early stage startup for a good chunk of employee equity (common shares <8%) on a 4 year vesting schedule which is due to start early next year in 2021. I should also mention that this startup just closed a good amount of money for its Seed round.

    I have always wanted to build my own startup after my first startup was far from a success which has so I have been thinking of starting to build my own startup while working for the current one. Is this a wise decision? Should I just keep working on the current startup I am with or start building my own?

    submitted by /u/coolsoy
    [link] [comments]

    What are some team exercises we can utilize to define our 12 month vision and create a roadmap to get there?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 02:11 PM PDT

    I'm a product designer who's been working with a mortgage tech startup for the past 8 months. I've been playing a bigger role in the company recently as the co-founders have brought me into more strategy discussions.

    We're starting our next round of fundraising and the team is struggling to figure out a roadmap and where we'll be spending our money next. The co-founders have minimal product development experience and this could be an opportunity for me to help facilitate the process.

    I want to set up some brainstorms/workshops with the goal of aligning all team members around a vision and creating a tactical roadmap for the next 12 months. I'd love to hear about your experiences and any recommendations/exercises/templates you have for how to accomplish this. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/insaneleader
    [link] [comments]

    Launching a startup in USA vs Canada (in regard to patent trolls)

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 10:19 AM PDT

    I'm deciding whether to launch my startup in Canada vs the US. I'm currently living in the US, but the litigation environment looks absolutely dreadful.. particularly around patent trolls. I've came across so many cases of patent trolls asserting BS patents on startups to the point where they spend all their time/money in litigation, pay some ridiculous settlement, or shut down completely. I'm considering just launching my business in another country to avoid this mess.

    I understand running a business is extremely risky, but gambling with that is just ludicrous. I've heard Canada's patent system creates a favorable environment for defendants in these cases. At least, the patent troll has to put down security if they lose a patent case unlike the US where defendants are unable to collect attorney fees when they win from the shell companies of these patent trolls.

    Did anyone here launch a startup in Canada and experienced or came across litigation by patent trolls?

    submitted by /u/Accurate-Camel5748
    [link] [comments]

    I have one idea with two drastically different ways of attacking it, how should I go about it?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 04:41 PM PDT

    I have an idea for an app, essentially a todo app but with a novel take on it. I would personally find this app useful for solving a big issue I have with most to-do apps out there and I think others would enjoy it too.

    The problem is I've come up with two different implementations of the main functionality of the app, and they're pretty different from each other so I don't believe they can coexist and wouldn't be able to simply test with an A/B test.

    My question is how to best decide which way to go. One route would be easier to monetize, while one route I believe would be more intuitive to users. I could create a survey, but I think it may be too complex to explain/compare in survey format. I could create a low fidelity prototype of each but I'm worried asking users to go through two prototypes and then compare them may not be worth it to people. I could just create MVPs for each since they're fairly simple to implement and just see which gets more traction. It's almost like I need a small, engaged, focus group to discuss it with.

    Any thought?

    submitted by /u/DasBeasto
    [link] [comments]

    Letters of Support/Expressions of Interest

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 12:13 PM PDT

    Hi All,

    My startup is aiming to provide a service that is essentially laboratory space for hire (for biotech diagnostic, medtech, other startups). It's a really simple and established business idea internationally, my city is a huge supporter of biotech but, this service is virtually non-existent in my region. Many here will have to negotiate the handover of %x IP to workout of uni, or fork out to build their $$$ own labs from scratch. We're making equipment/space available in one spot to reduce overheads/lead times for startups.

    I'm wanting to capture the interest of our market in this service and tossing up between Expressions of Interest and Letters of Support. I suppose a letter of support is not as valuable as an expression of interest as the later means someone is considering actually paying, and so a better metric of interest?

    Having said that I can't find any simple guides/templates to build my own outlining what is important to communicate. Does anyone have any experience with these?

    I'm also equally new to the idea of letters of support and when they're useful/how they should be written by stakeholders to support your startup. Some biotech ecosystem members have said "I've been telling our state government we've needed this for the last "x" years". I'd love to ask them for an EOI but they have already made it to a stage where they wouldn't need our services. Despite that, I feel their sentiments are valuable in that they demonstrate the need.

    My intent is to be able to show these off to potential investors to demonstrate market demand., support, and our networks.

    Thanks all!

    submitted by /u/SciencePeddler
    [link] [comments]

    Business Youtube Channel Recommendation

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 02:07 PM PDT

    Originally coming from design background, I am now setting up a fashion and accessories startup. I would like to learn more about business, wonder if any of you have any great business youtube channels that you could recommend me? Currently I am watching GaryVee, any thoughts on his channel from a business profession? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/astro192911
    [link] [comments]

    Recs on US based clothing manufacturer that works with startups?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 12:18 PM PDT

    Hey all, I'm looking to have several sample clothing products made at cost, followed by bulk orders. I've tried obvious solutions like Alibaba but there is typically a communication barrier + cost of foreign shipment makes sample products not very feasible. Any recommendations on US-based manufacturers? We have 3D renderings of the product (underwear type) that we just want to order a handful of samples to ensure quality and for model shoots, then order bulk. Ideally a manufacture that has worked with startups and can make samples at cost (we've been quoted thousands of dollars for 5-10 sample pieces, which seems ludicrous to me). Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/loshofficial
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any VC/PE fund out there that provides you with standard hygiene marketing campaigns (SEO/E-mails/Social Media campaigns etc) for a standard stake (1-5%)?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 08:12 AM PDT

    I'm hoping I can outsource these basic digital marketing expenses to anyone out there who would like to take a stake as payment. I'm my budget, I can't justify these expenses with the result they generate given we aren't able to attract expensive talent.

    submitted by /u/writesinnottragedy
    [link] [comments]

    do you get design expert / review?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 11:47 AM PDT

    I am in the process of building a new web app. We have hired a contract designer, and we are developing it ourselves. Our designer has been great, although not very experienced.

    1) We are wondering if it is common or recommended to get external design expert opinions / reviews as some sort of "design audit", preferably from a proven / experienced designer. The purpose is to look at any design / user experience blind spots that we and our designer might have missed.

    2) How do we structure the deliverable for such design review? e.g. for tech security review, the deliverable is pretty standard, 2-3 iterations, check against some checklist, and produce a risk assessment report. Since design opinions can be more subjective, how should we approach this so we know what to expect to get from the design expert.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/uncle_poon
    [link] [comments]

    What are the alternatives when the domain name of your new company name is already taken?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 11:45 AM PDT

    Me and my associate are getting ready to launch a consulting company. We strugled to come up with a name that fit our vision but one thing was clear: we didn't want any name with the world 'consulting' in it. After days of trying to find a suitable name, we came up with the easiest solution: the first letters of both our first names. Original? I don't know. Easy? Definitely. The problem is: most of the .com domains similar to our name are taken. What should we do? Should we just look for another name?

    submitted by /u/mr_reveur
    [link] [comments]

    Should I premote this as a small business? Or a startup?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 07:43 AM PDT

    Hey,

    So I'm confused at the moment about what path I should go down with developing this as an online business.

    So Originally the idea was to just start working as a Virtual Assistant and specialize in things like:

    • general office support
    • Data entry
    • Email management
    • WordPress
    • Tech support

    But at the moment I'm looking at it more like:

    • WordPress
    • Techsupport
    • Email management

    Now, these are obviously both long term goals especially the second one.

    In general, I guess my question should be. Do I stay as a VA? Or do I specialize and go down the WordPress route? And patently offer tech support further down the track.

    I'm after advice on what would be the better path to go down. I will have more information soon when I have a proper business plan put together.

    EDIT: I forgot to add how much would a business like this cost to set up and run before you start to make money?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/jackbowls
    [link] [comments]

    Writing Terms of Service

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 06:36 AM PDT

    My co-founders and I are to the point where we are putting the finishing touches on our MVP and plan on going to beta in the next month. However, we need to write terms of service. None of us are legally davy. We've been learning as we go the best we can, but a ToS is out of our league.

    We are looking for a good place to get some sort of generated ToS for it. However, a lot of the sites we've run into seem to be subscription based. We are looking for a one and done sort of deal where we pay one time and get the document for us to use and modify as we see fit.

    Any suggestions for this?

    Our product is an educational website that provides premade content to language learners.

    submitted by /u/IskandrAGogo
    [link] [comments]

    Promote pre-register landingpage on Reddit

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 06:37 AM PDT

    How to promote our pre register landingpage on reddit without annoying the reddit community?
    The reddit community is very sensitive with ads or promotions and we are very new here on reddit.
    We would love to run some ads and also create some posts to show our concept but i feel like the community is very critical with stuff like that. So i would appreciate if you have some tips for us :)

    submitted by /u/LitClip
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment