• Breaking News

    Saturday, October 17, 2020

    Startups Feedback Fridays - A Friendly Feedback Exchange For Ideas and Products

    Startups Feedback Fridays - A Friendly Feedback Exchange For Ideas and Products


    Feedback Fridays - A Friendly Feedback Exchange For Ideas and Products

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 06:07 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Feedback Thread. This is the place to request feedback on your ideas and products.

    Be sure to give feedback if you are requesting feedback. Equivalent exchange goes a long way towards reaching your own goals and it makes for a stronger community.

    Please use the following format:

    URL:

    Purpose of Startup:

    Technologies Used:

    Feedback Requested:

    Additional Comments:

    Post your site along with your stack and technologies used and receive feedback from the community. Please refrain from just posting a link and instead give us a bit of a background about your creation.

    Feel free to request general feedback or specific feedback in a certain area like user experience, usability, design, or code review.

    You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Are startup pitch competitions worth it?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 05:16 PM PDT

    My cofounder and I were discussing the merits of joining a startup pitch contest.

    I sometimes feel like these contests are for all-comers and not serious startups. I know some are better than others and I know they have their own vetting standards, but do you guys think it's worth it to join a competition like this?

    (for the record I am talking about those on-stage pitch contests, not applying to an accelerator which is a separate topic)

    Thanks for the advice!

    submitted by /u/Fairy__Nuff
    [link] [comments]

    How to grow Telemedicine Startup

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 05:25 PM PDT

    Hi Redditors!

    I'm a doctor at a Telemedicine company. We started during the pandemic with 4 partners. Two doctors, an administrative manager and a developer. Our current monthly gross revenue $150K/month roughly and our net revenue is about $30k/month after paying for administration, marketing, and physicians (being our biggest cost). We're looking to grow and have been debating about bringing a person to help run the overall business (basically be a CEO). We've been approached by one product tech guy. He's looking for 10% equity in the company. Is this reasonable?

    Reason for bring this person in is because none of the founding members have any experience in raising capital or scaling a company. We know that there's a lot of potential in this growing field, but we're just not sure what the next step is.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/adtam10
    [link] [comments]

    Choosing your partner carefully

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 06:32 AM PDT

    Just want to share my feelings a bit today as my co-founder finally voiced out that she would quit the business.

    This is the third time she mentioned it to me, and I consider all these things that just a thread for her to do things she wants with the business.

    Well, she is of course more senior than me in experience but not that good at running a business. It's been a long time I and other core members have been feeling that she is just bossing people around and not sticking to the business model. I personally felt that she joined in at first because she thought she could use me to make her dream come true and it has been confirmed today as she talked to one of our advisors like that.

    I genuinely feel happy and as I finally can take things off my chest, but still want to keep a nice friendship with her.

    However, choose your co-founder carefully, no matter how excellent they are. Make sure everyone is on the same page.

    And well, you must strong enough to take the loneliness well to run a startup!

    submitted by /u/dramaqueen2408
    [link] [comments]

    Internships at a startup

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 12:07 AM PDT

    Hello! I'm a freshman in college. And I have always had an interest in startups. I see that a lot of startups ask for experience for internships even though a student is wanting an internship to gain experience. What can a freshman do to seem more desirable to startups? Are there any companies on this subreddit that are actively looking for interns(asking for a friend :) )?

    submitted by /u/MaxPermission
    [link] [comments]

    Recommend a tool to analyze customer data

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 09:13 PM PDT

    Hey,

    I am looking for a data analytics tool for my business.

    I have some data of my customers like their emails, the number of purchases, purchase value, quantity, date of purchase, city, the time between becoming a lead and the purchase, etc.

    I am looking for a tool where I can feed all this info and then look for things like product A is bought in which city the most, what's the average buy value of the customers who are above 40, etc.

    I have all this data in Excel.

    I know Excel can do this task but there are 10,000+ customers and 500+ are adding every month. Excel gets slow while processing this data.

    submitted by /u/maybevaibhav
    [link] [comments]

    Help Needed Finding an Email Platform

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 08:33 PM PDT

    I don't have much experience with email / email marketing platforms, so I'm looking for suggestions on what to try, maybe my needs would be best fit with a combination of platforms.

    Here is the functionality I need: - ability to send emails via an API (support for Node would be nice) - ability to create email templates on a website - ability to manage an email inbox (receive and reply to emails) - ability to send marketing emails

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/potato-sword
    [link] [comments]

    Equity grant for second sales rep?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 02:59 PM PDT

    Our company is 30 people, pre series A and we are about to bring on our second sales rep who will help build out some processes as well as close deals. Is a .1% equity reasonable or is that too little? Haven't navigated the waters on this too much and would like some input from others!

    submitted by /u/PC_player543
    [link] [comments]

    What tools have you used for two-way engagement (“chatbot-like”) with customers over SMS?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 06:33 PM PDT

    I am looking at a business idea that will include direct customer engagement through SMS around health related habits. I am not looking for marketing blasts, but preferably for a sort of SMS "chatbot".

    I would like to start engagements at user-defined times in the day (as defined through java webforms), say 7am and 7pm to check in on healthy habits, and engage with them to ensure they have completed a task.

    So I should be able to text John at 7:30am to check in with him and ask if he has completed activity X. He might text back: "not yet, will do in a few, can you remind me in 10 min?". Then the bot will schedule a follow up based on the indicated or preferred time/delay. Once the task has been completed, John should either be able to respond to a reminder, or just text back (on his own terms/time) that the task has been completed.

    The initial MVP would need to serve 20-50 individuals, all with their time-based preferences for completing the task, and their own preferences for the intensity of follow ups, while being able to track (free text if possible) different responses that can indicate: 1) completion, 2) delay but intent to complete without further desire for follow up, and 3) delay with request to follow up.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/DoctorDumay
    [link] [comments]

    Startup company conducting shady business practices

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 11:54 AM PDT

    I've been with a startup for just over a month now, and as I start piecing bits together, a few really alarming discoveries have been made:

    • We're all being paid by Company A, but all working 100% on Company B, a new company the founders have started. I wasn't even made aware this was an entirely different company—I was initially told that Company B was just the name of our new product. Company B is an entirely separate entity legally and has no employees. It's been in place for well over 7 months now.

    • Company A had significant investment put in by a variety of investors. None of them know that Company A is essentially just being drained out so that my sketchy and neurotic boss can fund his new project ie Company B.

    • They had me write/contribute to two important documents for Company B: an investor memo, which is essentially a sales pitch to get investors to invest, and a government funding application. On the first, I was told the product was ready, so investors were led to believe it's completely ready. On the second, my boss edited my work by saying that the product was in the R&D phase. I confronted him about this yesterday, asking which it was, and he said "neither"; that the product is well advanced, just not fully out to market. When I asked if I could send corrections for the two documents he said no—that both documents are "just marketing materials that you're supposed to adapt to your audience". While that's true to an extent, product readiness is a substantial item that needs to be presented accurately.

    • In this same conversation, he went on to say that governments are dumb and you just say what they want to hear. This has me thinking that he's probably been dishonest in other parts of the business, and probably done so with Company A too.

    What do I do here? This is not okay. Investors from Company A need to know what's going on with their money. Potential investors in Company B deserve to know how the business and product are doing honestly in order for them to make a well-educated investment. The government is being lied to.

    • How should I go about reporting this? I'm in Ontario, Canada.

    • I contributed to these documents thinking I was writing accurately, going with the information given to me as a new employee. How do I protect myself?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/billianwillian
    [link] [comments]

    Woocommerce vs Magento, which one should I use for building an eCommerce website?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 05:15 AM PDT

    Some context: I am building an online e-commerce store for modern children's toys. The website will have more than 500 to 1000+ products. I am not trying to build just an eCommerce website, each product will also have an in-depth review and overview of the product. Features and Functionality the website will have:

    Online Marketplace, Rental option, In-depth review and overview of each product, reservation and booking functionality, one-click checkout, real-time shipping rates, standard as well as dropshipping, and other customisable functionalities.

    On one hand, I have heard woocommerce has tons of plug-ins, add-ons, themes, which can be very useful for customization, and on other hand have heard Magento is better than woocommerce for scaling but require more coding skills than woocommerce.

    Additionally have also read that Magento is better if there are many products but at that same that woocommerce + Kinsta can do wonders.

    So with that in mind, which CMS/Website builder should I use, and what hosting should I use for both woocommerce and Magento? I know kinsta is one of the well-managed hosting platforms for woocommerce, what other or better hosting platform is there for both woocommerce and Magento, or equivalent to Kinsta for Magento?

    I am creating an eCommerce store on woocommerce with the help of a web developer, haven't hired one but I am about to hire someone. This is the first time I am making a website so don't know about many things. I don't know which one is more cost-friendly in the long run or worth investing time, energy, and money into.

    Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

    submitted by /u/ANSHULGANDHI92
    [link] [comments]

    Health Insurance - Provide or Reimburse?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 02:06 PM PDT

    We are a super small but growing team. I'm trying to set up our payroll and would love to offer benefits. However, at this moment, the group health insurance is more expensive and more limiting the health insurance I'm finding on the market so I don't want to enroll.

    I can instead offer reimbursements but this would mean I can no longer offer group insurance through the company and people would need to buy their own insurance off the market.

    What is your experience with offering health insurance? Do people generally really want it as a benefit? If you reimburse the premium instead of offer group health insurance, have you had any push-back or lost any star employees due to the lack of benefit?

    submitted by /u/Mipeligrosa
    [link] [comments]

    Finding the target market for my startup

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 10:03 AM PDT

    Hi!

    I am the founder of a startup that automates the performance review process.

    My partner and I are looking to improve the target market we are reaching out to.

    Naturally, we get referred to the HR department as performance reviews have this known attachment to Human Resources. In reality, our platform aims to aid the final goal of fixing this pain which we've personally felt - not having to deal with the lengthy performance review process however, our approach is actually very much tied to employee and manager continuous feedback.

    The main people we have been targeting to speak with have been operation managers, operation directors, VPs and etc.

    the company sizes we target have been between 10 to 300 employees.

    Do you have any suggestions on how to approach organizations or people with the idea that we want to save them the time wasted on their performance review process but also introduce a background feedback system which is automated?

    Thanks, looking forward to your thoughts!

    Mihai

    submitted by /u/penguinsource
    [link] [comments]

    For those who didn’t raise funding...

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 06:03 AM PDT

    How do you get your startup going? As a solo founder, I have someone full time and a few part time contractors. We are making enough to pay for salary and other expenses (I am not taking anything). However in order to grow at the pace we expect, we will need to add one more person, but with the current scenario I don't believe I can afford this person full time to justify the financials unless we are growing to that level. Should I go ahead and hire another full time help by digging into the red first (going negative in profit)? Any advice you can share would be great!

    submitted by /u/northmyr
    [link] [comments]

    What is more important when starting a startup, branding or product?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 09:20 AM PDT

    Let's say you're going to start a mobile app and you have limited resources in terms of time to market and money...

    Do you think consumers are willing to look past the branding elements such as the look and feel of the product, including the UI, in favor of a polished product (i.e. not too buggy and works smoothly)?

    Or, would users be more attracted to a reasonably buggy product that looks and feels more polished?

    submitted by /u/Fairy__Nuff
    [link] [comments]

    Beta Test Liability Agreement Template

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 12:43 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    We are pushing out an app in early December and wondering if there is a standard Beta liability agreement template floating around? We have 5 test customers with close relationships, but are an established business so always want to cover our assets 😳Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/iamaguacasa
    [link] [comments]

    Insight into overcoming constraints in order to clearly prioritise support, features requests and bugs?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 08:41 AM PDT

    Happy Friday All, hope you are well and safe.

    I am looking into insight, lessons learned, tips or any advice on how to tackle and prioritise support features requests and bugs. As part of my team OKRs we're looking into supporting users better, with both the current and new version of the form building product in a sustainable way.

    However, the current problem is we're under-capacity with a lot of support type of work, from users who find the current product hard to use.

    I appreciate any help you can provide, especially on support model strategies, SLAs, cost models or support targets and process.

    submitted by /u/aji165
    [link] [comments]

    how can I built a team for startups in Canada?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 07:31 PM PDT

    I have planned and business blue print based on fully e-commerce and having hard time to find team with same vision. Looking for website developers, who fully understand the needs, advisors, CTO, management etc.. I am visionary and highly focused and fully understand the path. I believe Every big business starts with same way as i know jack ma did the same thing with few group of people in one small room discussion.we will be the next one.. there is always room to grow. "Different concept with different mindset leads to different directions" Please advice me how to reach to my goal? Once the team and our project is ready then the venture capital are there to boost the launch.

    submitted by /u/goldenlife4u
    [link] [comments]

    Working for free - advice? Any and all input is appreciated.

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 07:54 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I'm a working student [ I study business and finance, this is where my interest lies as well ]and I've worked in a range of roles dealing with business functions and operations along with some general administrative work.

    Just to give you a fair idea:

    I've dealt with business functions and tasks such as managing operations, logistics coordination, product sourcing, inter-departmental coordination, data and business analysis, preparing business reports and feasibility reports on new ideas, tracking project updates and other key metrics, etc.

    I've also dealt with general administrative work or carrying out the functions of an assistant. Everything from schedule management, managing internal and external correspondence, coordinating various activities, organizing remote meetings, business/technical writing, client invoicing and billing, tracking and managing budgetary spending on various projects, etc.

    Due to certain reasons, I'm only open to working remotely.

    This is not a troll post or anything. But, I'm genuinely looking to work for free - to be more specific - looking for a mentor or to work as an intern. Any advice on how to proceed?

    Ideally, I'd want to work under an experienced business/startup owner. So that, I'd get the most out of this experience.

    I know that offering to work for free sounds sketchy and unreliable due to the lack of accountability involved. Any tips on how to avoid this?

    And, before anyone brings this up. I'm well aware that the best way to learn is to actually work in that niche/field. I totally agree with that. But, with the pandemic and everything, it's been incredibly difficult for me to land any roles. I feel like I'm really wasting away all my time. So, I thought this would be a good way to make use of it by gaining more experience and increasing my network as well.

    Disclaimer: This is not my main account.

    submitted by /u/gimmeabreak980
    [link] [comments]

    Restructuring multiple companies that are now under the same umbrella?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 11:19 AM PDT

    Recently the company I work for, as a director of a client facing department, was acquired along with 3 other companies all that serve complimentary services/software to the software we provide. The higher ups are now having us restructure roles so that we one day in the future (not sure how long is expected) will operate as a single entity and roles are no longer specific to the company in which you came from.

    Fortunately, some of our clients had already been using two or more of our now suite of products together but that is not the case for most.

    Has anyone gone through this and care to share some advice for how I can approach things on the client success/account management/support/etc side of things?

    Couple notes:

    • This happened right before the pandemic and our industry was affected so layoffs have happened across the board and we're operating pretty lean right now.
    • Software integrations are being worked on and underway, also I'm not working on the tech side of things so I can't speak too much to that yet.
    • Each company's product(s) is fairly complex with a medium to very difficult learning curve.

    I think the biggest problem I'm seeing is that some people believe there is a cookie cutter "template" that can be applied here based around the previous roles people had and I don't necessarily 100% agree but I also do not know an alternative solution that may be better.

    submitted by /u/ComprehensiveDig8
    [link] [comments]

    Expensing living expenses to the corp

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 08:21 AM PDT

    Hi

    I am wondering what makes more sense:

    I have a small corporation with a cofounder, and we are not paying ourselves a salary.

    We are however expensing personal living expenses (rent, internet, food) to the company

    Is this a better route for tax purposes, or paying myself a small salary so I can cover those things with my salary.

    Seems to me that second route is more clean and easy to explain, but wanted to hear others thoughts

    submitted by /u/butthurtinthehole
    [link] [comments]

    New employees

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 03:18 AM PDT

    As a small start-up of 2, still in the pre-revenue stage as we haven't launched, we are about to hire 2 new people to help with the development of our product. I was wondering whether it is common practice to purchase new equipment for new employees, such as laptops/computers/monitors etc, or whether it is ok to ask them to use their personal devices?

    submitted by /u/lm652
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment