• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 14, 2020

    Probably a stupid question: Why can't I host a hackathon for my small data startup, post a $10k reward for the winner or top results, and then use that to hire? small business

    Probably a stupid question: Why can't I host a hackathon for my small data startup, post a $10k reward for the winner or top results, and then use that to hire? small business


    Probably a stupid question: Why can't I host a hackathon for my small data startup, post a $10k reward for the winner or top results, and then use that to hire?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 02:20 PM PDT

    Is this legal? If not, why does this not happen more often? Something reasonably in the middle?

    submitted by /u/throwawayrandomvowel
    [link] [comments]

    Recently started a business and need some advice on holiday marketing! Appreciate all comments :D

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 01:46 AM PDT

    Given that Holiday season is coming up, I wanted to share my process for the marketing campaigns for my small business and hopefully get some helpful advice from everyone here :) or timelines, I like to work around social media holidays, in addition to the traditional holidays. The most recent one was for the International Day of the Girl. I wanted to share a helpful site which has descriptions and graphics attached to each event, making content creation much easier:- https://designs.ai/calendar/2020/october/international-day-of-the-girl. As someone who is really into the symbolism and pairing of colors (https://designs.ai/colors/color-meanings) has helped inspire the overall color schemes that match each campaign. After identifying this, I then go on to create around 3-6 pieces of content for events that relate to my business. Are there any other steps I should take to engage my audience better?

    submitted by /u/thejoyofdesign
    [link] [comments]

    Going "all in" on small business

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 08:23 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I recently started up my own 3D printing business, although we are struggling to generate both sales and products that are popular, we are on etsy, ebay, fb and insta and were wondering if anyone had any advice on getting more reach or generating more sales or even how to convey what we can actually do for people?

    submitted by /u/aku_478
    [link] [comments]

    idea of creation website similar to nextdoor, thoughts?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 02:03 AM PDT

    Hi, my message will be a bit hectic, apologies.

    I have an idea to copy/paste nextdoor.com idea. I have planned everything but i have couple of Qs and here i need your professional advice. How difficult it would be to create similar website? I've created a simple website on my own in WP before but that's about it. If I'd hire someone what would be approx. cost to recreate test beta-version(that has only few and main functions)? That way i can check whether people would have interested in it(i mean i strongly believe it will find its users but i would like to test it out first) Actually, what do you think about this idea in general? I want to make it for my city where i live because i feel people lack of communication within neighborhoods and this is something that could become very useful for people plus profitable in the future.

    The main thing that i must have is that location function. Where user once registering is getting unique code for his particular location(depending on his zip code), after getting his code and entering it, he completes registration and then is assigned to a particular group(i must have this function - if possible automatic, otherwise if it can be done manually then it's fine too).

    I was thinking to use something like https://themeforest.net/item/aardvark-buddypress-membership-community-theme/21281062?irgwc=1&clickid=09Ax9JQi7xyOUFDwUx0Mo3EFUkiSYL0LBQQ-UA0&iradid=275988&irpid=348948&iradtype=ONLINE_TRACKING_LINK&irmptype=mediapartner&mp_value1=&utm_campaign=af_impact_radius_348948&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impact_radius but it is lacking location/code function. Is there a way i can add it to aforementioned template on my own? Any plugins, perhaps?

    Also, maybe your place of living needs the same platform?! Feel free to grab this idea and implement it in reality(and let me know how it goes lol) Or maybe you could help me with this project? Or you would like to partner up with me? Feel free to contact me with anything.

    Many many thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/valdemorz
    [link] [comments]

    Investing $10,000 into my business

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 08:10 PM PDT

    Currently, I run a small (very small) business repairing broken cellphones and then reselling them for a profit. I'm becoming very good at this, especially the repairs.

    I've been doing this for a about two years now and have made a lot of progress but I'm not where I want to be. I get around $4,000-$7000 a month in sales. However, considering I started from scratch and knew nothing about business before this, I'd say I'm moving along nicely.

    Exactly one year from now, I will be getting roughly $10,000 and would like to invest most (if not all) of this into my business.

    What would be the best way to invest this? Buy 100% broken inventory (which yields greater profits but takes much time at high volumes) or working units (which takes less time but yields significantly less profits).

    Or is there another option someone can suggest?

    I will be getting the $10,000 next October which is perfect because it's right before the holiday season. However, I'd like to plan ahead carefully and use this wisely so my business can be successful.

    Can anyone give advise?

    Also, I usually get $5,000 during tax season which will also be going into my business.

    submitted by /u/OTBGames2019
    [link] [comments]

    Trash talk our website or kindly criticise it

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 12:45 AM PDT

    Hey guys, hope you are all well.

    After months of work and researching, we have launched https://trappisone.com as a platform for curious people to share and discover interesting knowledge. We are doing a little well thus far, but we need strong outside criticism to continue improvements.

    The platform is buit under the concept of "Did you know" as a way knowledge is shared and discovered on the platform.

    Please check it out and let us know what you think. https://trappisone.com

    submitted by /u/Worried_Fondant
    [link] [comments]

    Barcode database

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 10:27 PM PDT

    Run a small business of converting video tapes to dvd and digital, need a system where I could bar code all incoming vhs tapes and then track them. That way i never mix up customers tapes and if i do I can scan it to see who owns the tape as their contact information would be included.

    Looking for free or close to free.

    I tried to do this in libre base, but it is tedious having to enter the customer information over and over again for every entry.

    https://ibb.co/VVGH3T9

    submitted by /u/waloshin
    [link] [comments]

    Launching my small business

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 10:06 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    Recently I've been thinking about launching my own line of clothing by having a psychedelic theme and my own designs. I'm looking to partner up to start a business plan. Let me know if you're interested ☺️

    submitted by /u/merdimerdi
    [link] [comments]

    SEO on Etsy

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 10:04 PM PDT

    Hi all, I recently started an Etsy. At this point 85% of my traffic comes from my social accounts. I'd like to start bringing in organic traffic from Etsy. Does anyone have any advice on low-cost or free ways to find effective tags and optimize content on Etsy? Thanks in advance! I'm linking my Etsy for context!

    submitted by /u/ArtByBrieCo
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone use Regus office space membership for private offices (5, 10, unlimited)? Thoughts? Are they considered pricey?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 11:27 PM PDT

    Just curious

    submitted by /u/element805
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to market/build a customer base for an online store

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 12:32 AM PDT

    I have used facebook and google ads; however, i'm wondering if there are any other methods to gather a customer base. I also tried doing leads for a while, but it is not as effective and used the majority of my marketing budget to only gain two leads.

    submitted by /u/Scottxslapz
    [link] [comments]

    Raising prices every year even already being higher priced than most competitors?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 12:18 PM PDT

    I've always seen people say to raise your prices every year by 5-10%. My prices for pressure washing and window cleaning are already higher than most competitors in an area that is very heavily saturated with competition. I really don't even have that many repeat customers. It seems that people will let their houses or windows get just god awful dirty before they feel the need to get them cleaned again. Even people who appear fairly wealthy/upper middle class. So, ... keep prices the same?

    submitted by /u/swm43
    [link] [comments]

    How to write off start-up costs?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 10:57 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I just started an LLC, creating custom furniture. This started out as a hobby, so I already have most of the tools/equipment needed to get started. How do I go about transferring these items, and even previously owned inventory, over to the business? From what I have gathered, it seems like making a Capitol Contribution might be the correct route. If that's the case, what steps do I need to take? What will those transactions look like in my books?

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/krtales
    [link] [comments]

    My girlfriend and I want to start a small business in the future. What are some "essential readings" that will help us on this journey?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 11:53 AM PDT

    My girlfriend and I want to start a health related small business. She's a registered dietitian, and my previous small business experience is running a computer repair "business" out of the back of a van.

    We're looking into marketing, startup costs, inventory, how to rent a space - how to do it all. I have a little marketing experience, mainly with print advertising and advertising myself on FB, but we're looking more into how to break into a market if that makes sense.

    Any and all resources will help me on this journey. Thanks everyone.

    submitted by /u/59216945822948032
    [link] [comments]

    Can I put a hold on a Vendors payable for money he owes me personally?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 06:25 PM PDT

    This is a uniques situation; My wife owns a small business. Back in January she gave a personal loan (cash) to one of her vendors. It was for $5000.00 and he promised to return the money in March. Then Covid hit and he couldn't come up with the money. So he has been performing his regular services for the business but we have been holding back the money due for services (because he owes her 5k) - Now we are just about even. How can she recoup that 5K she loaned to him, in essence from her business? She is a C corp. I can't think of any way to do this with it looking funny to the IRS should she get audited. I know the right way is for the business to write a check to the vendor for services rendered, and then have him write her a personal check for the 5K she loaned to him. But we don't trust him to do that. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/jonboyohboy
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need to file for a DBA (Doing Business As)?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 05:11 PM PDT

    I have a single member LLC in the United States. We're about to start selling a new product online. The website domain is the product name. The LLC name was created prior to creating this product and is completely different than the product. Not sure if any of this really matters. Any advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/bennerj
    [link] [comments]

    Setting Expectations Between Myself And Manufacturer

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 08:33 PM PDT

    I am working with an individual across the country to produce a wooden product. My relationship with this manufacturer began informally over facebook. I found them by chance when searching for other wooden product manufacturers in the same space. After earning their trust as a someone who will see this project through to a successful launch and beyond, I realized that they are putting little to no focus in the marketing/advertising for their product. I offered to assist with this along with taking care of all the marketing/branding/selling for my own product. The manufacturer would produce and dropship for me.

    We have come to a verbal agreement to do a profit split model for both businesses. We must now get something written on paper to make sure that the proper expectations are set for both parties in terms of what we will do to make these small business' a success. I am getting stuck when trying to think of what my expectations for both the manufacturer and myself should be on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. Any tips?

    submitted by /u/Injusticeee
    [link] [comments]

    Presentation & Imposter Syndrome

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 07:05 PM PDT

    Hey all, I recently started my dog training business and am struggling with the way I put myself forwards and reach it to clients.

    It feels completely bizarre as in my main job as a Vet Nurse I am capable, confident, and have little to no concerns about the information I put across to clients.

    I'm constantly second guessing myself about how my business appears to others, and whether I'm putting myself across the 'right' way. If it's too much or too little detail, the right balance of professional and personable, and whether or not it's likeable and satisfying content from the client perspective.

    Do you have any resources for advice and growth in these areas? I want to make sure I cover all of my bases in terms of gathering info from the client, discussing legal aspects, and setting appointment expectations.

    If you can give me any help or advice at all, thank you :)

    submitted by /u/cranberryleopard
    [link] [comments]

    What websites or companies to trust when wanting to start selling sticker designs?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 06:51 PM PDT

    I hope this isn't a silly question. I don't really know what to ask but if one were to want to start selling stickers from my own designs, what website host or printing companies are good to rely on (like Redbubble or similar)?

    Also, could be this an ok business for a college student?

    submitted by /u/lavand3rt0wn
    [link] [comments]

    Can you get a small business loan for a home-based business if the use isn't specifically allowed in the zoning?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 12:35 PM PDT

    Hypothetical: say I'm running a small home-based business out of a garage (I'm not, currently), and wanted to get a business loan to scale up a bit (for equipment, tooling, but staying in the same footprint). Is the loan officer going to look at zoning in the process of approving a loan? It seems like they would want to know a lot about the business first so location would be a thing. I'm looking at houses to buy and would really like to keep the option open of running a legit home business, and while there's a few unzoned or commercially zoned residential areas, there's just not that many coming up on the market.

    submitted by /u/3deltapapa
    [link] [comments]

    How Important is it to Categorize Expenses in QuickBooks (x/post tax)

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 05:49 AM PDT

    I just started my own small medical consulting business last fall, and one thing I've not been sure of is why I have to categorize expenses and how important it is to accurately categorize them. For example, if I buy a "jump bag" for medical equipment, it could fall under medical supplies, or travel expenses (since I'd only use it when I'm on the road). Other than meals, which has a 50% rule, does it really matter if the gloves I purchase go under office supplies (for cleaning), building maintenance, medical supplies, or travel expenses (I use them when visiting other work sites)? For my own purposes, obviously it's helpful to know what's going where, but for a $5 box of gloves, I really don't care that $0.50 worth of gloves were used for everyday cleaning, $0.25 were used when I was doing building maintenance, and $4.75 were used for patient care, $0.35 of which were used when I was travelling away from my main work site...

    submitted by /u/WuMedic
    [link] [comments]

    What kind of strategic partnerships have you had with other stores? (Marketing)

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 06:15 PM PDT

    My partner and I have been actively trying to market our DTC ecommerce shop (food & beverage cpg, one product) for the past few months and are at a standstill with not much success. We've done the classic fb/ig ads and didn't see anything notable while we ran ads ourselves and even after we brought on a digital marketing studio. Did the whole 'influencer' charade with horrible results. Then we spent a few weeks designing a direct mail campaign that also flopped.

    Since then I've been trying to think of some unconventional routes to market the brand. Been reaching out to tons of subscription boxes - lots of which are super interested in having our product but can't afford/aren't willing to share our cost with us (we can't afford to give free product either). Now in a desperate measure I'm considering reaching out to other dtc kitchen/home/food ecommerce brands in a complimentary space and seeing if we can somehow partner and offer our product for sale on their website and we split the proceeds (our product is pretty universal and a great upsell item).

    I'm wondering how to best approach other companies about that idea. Has anyone here done something similar, or some other kind of unconventional marketing?

    submitted by /u/spetri3658
    [link] [comments]

    How long did you take to save up in order start your small business?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 06:14 PM PDT

    My friend and I would like to start a cafe. We're currently preschool teachers and I'm discouraged by how long it is going to take us to save up enough money. For some perspective, I was wondering - How long did it take you all to save up before being able to launch your brick and mortar small business?

    submitted by /u/LadyTherese
    [link] [comments]

    Can somebody help me with first-time UI filing [GA]

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 05:50 PM PDT

    Long story short, I never setup a GA DOL account, because, well, I didn't know UI was a thing, didn't know it was yet another tax we had to pay. So, I'm trying to get caught up, and I need to file from Q2 2018-present.

    I've gone thru and built spreadsheets for each quarter, with all the info I need. However, on the next page it's asking me for 'non-taxable wages'. WTF is a non-taxable wage? I'm assuming in the spreadsheet portion, I'm simply putting gross pay and thats it, right?

    Also, I got a letter in the mail stating what they 'think' I owe, and the penalties & interest applied thereto. Is there ANY way to avoid any of those fees if I'm just getting setup and pay ALL of my bac UI before the due date?

    For the record, I've tried calling the UI offices, and thats a complete waste of time. They don't answer and you can't talk to anybody for help. I've asked my CPA for help, but he's covered up until the 16th, but my due date is the 19th, and I really don't want to screw this up. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/kendogg
    [link] [comments]

    Would appreciate feedback on what I can do to improve my online women's clothing boutique!

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 05:46 PM PDT

    Hi all! I opened an online boutique with my sister around 2 years ago. We were able to get a few sales in the beginning through sharing to our friends/family. After maybe a year or so we realized we were buying too much inventory and not making our money back, so we didn't buy new inventory for maybe 10 months or so and just promoted what we had with new photos, etc. But because we had no new merchandise, traffic slowed down too.

    At this point I'm not sure where to go. We mostly do marketing through social media, although we've been getting less and less reach as time goes on. We did Facebook ads for a bit too, but the results weren't great so we stopped. Also did some influencer marketing for a month, but saw little traction.

    We also opened our shop on Depop and Poshmark which has upped sales a bit but hasn't really led to people going to our main website.

    I'm of the opinion that our store isn't "focused" enough style-wise, we need to market more (but how?), and our prices might be too high? It's the normal markup but it seems like price could be an issue.

    Kind of stuck and don't know what to do.

    Please let me know if you're interested in providing feedback by commenting and I'll send you a direct message! Or if we're allowed to post a link here (not completely sure if it's allowed), let me know and I can edit the post to include it.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/journalofjam
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment