• Breaking News

    Monday, October 12, 2020

    NooB Monday! - (October 12, 2020) Entrepreneur

    NooB Monday! - (October 12, 2020) Entrepreneur


    NooB Monday! - (October 12, 2020)

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 06:12 AM PDT

    If you don't have enough comment karma here's where we can help.

    Everyone starts somewhere and to post in /r/Entrepreneur this is the best place. Subscribers please understand these are new posters and not familiar with our sub. Newcomers welcome! Be sure to vote on things that help you. Search the sub a bit before you post. The answers may already be here.

    Since this thread can fill up quickly, consider sorting the comments by "new" (instead of "best" or "top") to see the newest posts.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Can i work for you for free?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 09:21 AM PDT

    I am 19 and have nothing around or for me aside from time, so I offer my time in exchange for whatever you have the time to provide in return, knowledge, guidance etc.

    The experience and knowledge I have:

    • 2 years Administration (Technology and Private Healthcare)
    • 1 year/ an NC Qualification in Fabrication & Welding
    • Writing daily for 7 years, whether or not it is good depends on the reader however i list this more on the fact of my consistency to do so.
    • 2 years of telephone/customer experience experience ( I started working full time at 16 )
    • I have taught myself as much as I can cram in my mind about digital marketing during the lockdown however a majority of it is theory as i haven't been able to pay for advertisement to exercise all that I have learned so far.

    I understand if we cannot arrange something as i am certain you are all highly engaged and extremely busy with your business and lives.

    If you could leave a tip in the comments or even an upvote then i appreciate it massively, anything to get further than here will mean more than you know.

    Thanks guys.

    EDIT: Thank you to everyone messaging me and commenting/ upvoting with guidance, advice and more. Another thank you to the those who awarded this post. I really do appreciate the assistance and I'm working to getting around to responding to all of you.

    submitted by /u/TheBiggestWoo
    [link] [comments]

    How to Build a 7 Figure Business - Site Reviews

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 08:48 PM PDT

    A few weeks ago, I posted an AMA called How to Build a 7 Figure Business.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/Entrepreneur/comments/iu8ds0/how_to_build_a_7_figure_online_business_ama/

    Last time, I mainly answered questions from aspiring entrepreneurs.
    Today, I want to help online business owners who've been in business less than 3 years.

    Maybe you're wondering how to go from side hustle to full time, or how to get from $50k to $500k.
    Just post your website, and I'll spend 20 minutes checking it out and coming up with opportunities for improvement.

    Hopefully it will be helpful for you as well as others facing the same problems as you are.

    Specifically I'll focus on:
    - Website design
    - Conversion optimisation
    - SEO
    - Copywriting
    - Content

    EDIT: If you're an online business owner and what I'm sharing is helpful to you, you might like to join my FB group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/anywheremillionaire/

    submitted by /u/zipiddydooda
    [link] [comments]

    Quick Reminder to Not Give Away Your Salary Requirement in a Job Interview.

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 12:34 AM PDT

    I know I've read this here before but had a real-life experience with it last month that I thought I'd share.

    Going into the interview I was hoping/expecting that the range for the salary would be similar to where I am now. When the company recruiter asked me what my target salary was, I responded by asking, "What is the range for the position?" to which they responded with their target, which was $30k more than I was expecting/am making now. Essentially, if I would have given the range I was hoping for (even if it was +$10k more than I am making it now) I still would have sold myself short.

    Granted, this is just an interview and not an offer- but I'm happy knowing that I didn't lowball myself from the getgo.

    submitted by /u/tradewithmiller
    [link] [comments]

    Had a rough first client call today - always be prepared to answer why someone would choose you.

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 04:49 AM PDT

    I had a call today with a tech company founder hiring for lead UX/UI role. He knew I want to discuss contracting as an agency.

    After 10 seconds he put me right into the defense mode

    "Why would I choose ever you over a full time employee?"

    From then on, all my pitches, value props sounded just like I tried too hard. When I finished it was like:

    "I want a superstar, and you're just very good, thanks bye"

    That gave me some real food for thought.How do you address such objections?How would you respond to such a harsh start?

    It's super hard to discuss anything when the other person is just there to prove you are not a good fit.

    Also, several times I tried to learn something about the company and I always heard back

    "I'm not going to discuss my company until I KNOW you are a good fit, otherwise it would be a waste of my time"

    UPDATE

    Love all your responses! One thing I wanted to clarify (unfortunately, I can't edit the title) is that it was my first client call today, not in general - sorry for not making this clear ;)

    submitted by /u/dcedrych
    [link] [comments]

    Referral marketing for early SaaS

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 04:11 AM PDT

    Need some advice, especially advice backed by data/studies/experiments.

    What strategy would best incentivize existing leads on a SaaS product still in beta? Refer to get:

    • First few months free
    • First few months discounted
    • Move up on the list and get to trial beta sooner
    • Anything else??

    Going to try using either Viral Loops or Talkable for this, but if anybody has other recs or experience please share!

    submitted by /u/Infinite_Whisper
    [link] [comments]

    Demand Stacking: How To Create Your Own Niche Market

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 09:55 AM PDT

    Whether you sell services, physical products, or digital products one of common bits of wisdom is that "the riches are in the niches".

    This is totally true and you will almost always find that the margins are better and the competition is lower in small niches than in big mainstream niches.

    The problem is that the internet has become a very mature "economy" and most niches have loads of already established people serving them. Almost the entire internet has become the proverbial "red ocean".

    Trying to compete in these red oceans demands that you be well capitalized and/or have the unicorn product that 'sells itself'. Most entrepreneurs don't have either so you are stuck relying on luck or questionable marketing tactics and usually you just fail.

    So, many people are stuck in searching mode to try and find the ever elusive "blue ocean" where they can start small, carve out a space, & grow.

    The problem is that finding these blue oceans is almost impossible due to the ever more mature market that is the internet.

    My solution...

    Demand Stacking

    What is Demand Stacking?

    Much like the idea of talent stacking taught by Scott Adams Demand stacking is all about finding niches that overlap with each other and then laser targeting your product development & marketing to serve that space.

    To try and make this clear I'll use an idea I had a few years back that I ended up not pursuing but I think would have been great (I still have people like the Facebook page I made for it almost everyday even though I have not posted or anything for a very long time) - Keto Diet products for women.

    In particular I was looking at the Keto supplement space on Amazon. I knew two things; Keto was hugely popular and women was a huge weight loss market. However, Keto seemed to be a very male centric market with most blogs & products orientated to men.

    However, I was personally learning of more women who were starting Keto than I was men so I looked into the intersection, Keto for women, and found it to be under-served. Especially on Amazon where there were some feminine colored products but nothing that was explicitly targeted to women.

    I ended up choosing a different niche to focus on but Iii still wonder to this day how big it would have gotten.

    Some winners who followed this basic formula:

    Cliff bars - A "power bar" for rock climbers that is now a massive mainstream brand

    RX Bars - Clean real food bars for Crossfit fanatics, now a huge mainstream brand

    Those are 2 that I can think of off the top of my head but both found under-served Demand hiding at the intersection of 2 different niche markets.

    How do I find Demands to stack?

    You can follow the standard advice for finding niches, look at what your own interests are, talk to friends, flip through magazines, etc.

    But the trick, and this is where work often comes into the picture, is to figure out which 2 niches have overlap and that overlap is not being directly served (or directly served very well).

    Second example; my wife watches a few different "Mom Bloggers" on Facebook & Instagram. Two of the things that are constantly talked about are coffee & wine.

    Last time I did some research neither niche was well served. I found literally 1 coffee brand that was laser targeted to tired moms. Some could start a company that sells coffee, wine & chocolate for moms and have a huge market with virtually no direct competition.

    This is demand stacking: Mom niche + coffee niche = Mom Coffee niche that almost no one is serving directly.

    Here is one more trick to find Demand Stacks; look at huge niches (think coffee, bottled water, dumbbells, pencils, anything common) and then think of a smaller personality/hobby niche. Mix and match these & then check and see if a potential market exists. In fact, this may be the best way to do it as the big product niches often have an abundance of private label type arrangements that can be made making product development much easier & cheaper to start.

    An example I am making up on the spot; Pencils & libertarian politics. There is a popular book in the libertarian space called I, Pencil but as far as I know there is not a pencil brand (or more generally an office supply brand) that targets libertarians specifically. Why not?

    These Demand Stacks are all over the place. Not everyone of them is going to be successful (would libertarian themed pencils sell? I have no idea.) but the combination of keyword research, niche outreach, and crowdfunding can help decrease costs and improve the probability of success.

    If you start looking for Demand Stacks you will start seeing them all over the place. You can train your brain to find them, then you record them, and research the one's that speak to you. Who knows, you might be the RX Bar and get a 9 figure exit in a few years.

    submitted by /u/Phanes7
    [link] [comments]

    Hello! I'm a UX designer with some 15 years of experience, and I will audit your company website for free!

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 11:03 AM PDT

    Who am I !?

    I'm a UX designer, I worked with many companies from different fields, among which Porsche, Lufthansa, Rolls-Royce, Samsung, AT&T ...

    What's the catch I hear you ask?

    There is no catch. None. I just have some free time coming up and would like to offer audits for those struggling to convert or are dissatisfied with their website's user experience, copywriting, visuals ... etc. I am not even collecting emails of those who submit their websites, feel free to use throwaway emails.

    Why am I doing this?

    I've been designing websites, mobile apps, dashboard for pretty much half my life. And one recurring thing I keep seeing is clients struggling achieving any kind of traction with their business and just can't pin point the root of the issue. And often times all they needed is a proper audit that usually highlights 20% of the problems that are causing 80% of the issues.

    And I also keep seeing that on this subreddit as well, where lots of business owners describe issues in their businesses that can be addressed with a UX audit. And it's saddening when a business owner shuts down and quits without realizing all they needed to do was placing that CTA a little bit to the top of the page, it's often the little things.

    Use this Google Forms form to send me your website link and I'll send back my audit with recommendations.

    submitted by /u/TheMexicanJuan
    [link] [comments]

    One HackerNews comment brought me more subscribers than being on the front page

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 11:28 AM PDT

    What a week...got 216 email subscribers from one HN comment and then got on the front page 2 days after.

    I was using Hckr News to get notified for new/recently posts that get on the front page. A few days ago, I saw this post pushed to the front page (5 mins ago)...

    Knowing that "contrarian" comments get traction on HN, I left a comment there (pointing the weakness of analyzing "unicorns" vs "indie founders"). People started upvoting it and I ended up with 22+ upvotes.

    What happened to my email list was pretty staggering. I started receiving notifications (almost every 3 mins) that a new subscriber was added to my list. Although my main domain is ZeroToUsers.com, I've used an alternative one there (FirstPayingUsers) just to track if any people are going to come from HN. And boy they did...216 of them.

    2 days after, I submitted an article on HN and 10 mins later I've noticed it's on the front page! DAMN, I thought...now I'm gonna get 5034504350345034 subscribers.

    Which didn't happen. I only got close to 70.

    Huh? A single comment brought me more email subscribers than actually being on the front page? This can't be...well, it turns out it is. And I'm not the only one.

    From my founder interviews anlysis, I found many people mentioning that engaging with communities brought them better results than actually posting on them. Crowdraising was one such example:

    We reached out to our networks and posted on Hacker News (HN), Product Hunt (PH), and Quora to get our initial bump of traffic, but it wasn't as large as we expected. On HN, for example, Max and I actually got better results when responding to other people's posts like this one.

    I think this will give hopes to founders who think "promoting/posting" on communities is the only way to get users. Many times, just engaging (and mentioning your product in a friendly/useful manner) works better.

    submitted by /u/darkomkd
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a good marketing tactic?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 01:32 PM PDT

    Hello All,

    So, we are trying to get clever with our marketing with less than £150. One idea that i had was to post a job (See the ad below) and literally pay someone to stand outside a London train station to shout "Whatpops" for 3 hours.

    We have created a website that allows you to find the best places to eat in London without the faff. One thing the person will be holding is a board that has some branding on (Suggestions welcome).

    The likes of Covid have obviously caused some massive issues for this. But, we are trying to adapt around it as much as possible.

    https://www.gumtree.com/p/sales-customer-service-jobs/get-paid-to-stand-outside-london-waterloo-station-shouting-whatpops/5397831670

    ^ Job AD

    Let me know what you think!

    submitted by /u/halfysworld
    [link] [comments]

    Starting YouTube kids channel. any advice how to get things up and going with zero subs?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 01:18 PM PDT

    I'm sure some of you have done this already. What did you guys do? thank you

    submitted by /u/KingPic
    [link] [comments]

    I need a third party Escrow service for the website I am attempting to set up. Recommendations?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 12:53 PM PDT

    If anyone knows of any third party Escrow services that are easy to integrate into a website it would be a huge help to me.

    submitted by /u/muh_reddit_accout
    [link] [comments]

    Trademark and Business Name Question

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 12:50 PM PDT

    Hey all, quick question. I'm looking to get my LLC started. There is another company in the US with a trademark on the name, but in a much different industry. They do IT/Business Management, I do PR, digital media and design, public affairs. Can I use the same name or would it breach the trademark?

    submitted by /u/jecasey
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to transition my phone repair business to all online. So I’m trying to set up my website to where it is very simple to ship in devices for repair. This is the rough draft.

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 12:37 PM PDT

    I only have iPhone 8 listed and I marked it as "sold out" so no one accidentally ordered. Also I'm going to get our lawyer to right up the liability part of the description.

    https://www.techfourtech.com/collections/mail-in-screen-repairs-1

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/ShizLord32
    [link] [comments]

    I was looking for content on the difference between money vs. wealth

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 02:24 PM PDT

    I've been hearing a lot of the differences between the two and tbh I didn't think there was a difference. I read this article [http://swombat.com/2014/1/10/money-and-wealth] and I think I finally understand the difference.

    Here were some of the takeaways:

    • "The first and perhaps most important mistake people make is to confuse money for wealth." — Daniel Tenner
    • Daniel prefers the definition of economics: all things that have a monetary or exchange value or anything that has utilities and is capable of being appropriate or exchanged.
    • "The more I realize that wealth is not money, but the ability to generate money (and other things of value)." — Daniel Tenner
    • Just having money does not make you wealthy. However, having the potential to make money through net income generating assets such as businesses, investments, or any personal skills—makes you wealthy.
    • The purpose of wealth building shouldn't be to become the wealthiest in the world, but merely to own the freedom to do whatever you truly want to do.

    If you have any other articles on the difference between the two, I'd love to read them.

    Also, if you're interested, I try and curate the most valuable content on the internet at www.gradually.co

    submitted by /u/Dflyerr
    [link] [comments]

    How to ask for Home office Setup expenses

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 10:10 AM PDT

    So, since everyone is working from home not everyone is sure if their employers offer home office setup or workspace setup expenses or not. If you don't ask you never know, hence I prepared copy-paste email templates which you can mail your boss next time!

    Subject: PFA WFH Upgradation purchases Message: Hi {Employer Name}, Greetings, I am looking to purchase the following for WFH upgradation, as this will be useful for enhancing my productivity as well as relieving back pain for happening due to long sitting. Let me know next steps before I make the purchase. {Screenshot of List of items} Total cost: $$$ Thanks, {Your Name}

    Or

    Subject: WFH purchase Message: Hi {Employer Name}, I just wanted to check in to see if we have any WFH upgradations policy, If yes, do let me know process and the next steps? Thanks {Your Name}

    source

    submitted by /u/MrFelixjosemon
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for partner for fintech firm that is close to launch

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 01:43 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    A partner and I have been working on a fintech startup that is getting ready to launch, but we're in need of someone with some serious marketing chops. Someone who knows where, how, and when to promote on social media and to be able to do so on a small-ish budget. What makes this especially challenging is that the group that we're attempting to marketing to exists within a very small niche.

    Specifically, we're looking to market directly to clients of Interactive Brokers. The idea is that they can link their IB profile to our site and sell their trading activity, on a subscription basis, to other people. Our site explains this concept in more detail. If you know of anyone who can help us in this endeaviour, please reach out. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/pagesmack
    [link] [comments]

    Relaunch brand - Fund development via Patreon?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 12:40 PM PDT

    Hi,

    The back story:

    About ten years ago I was part of running a startup in the consumer electronics category. All in all we sold products for maybe $1M until we for different reasons could not continue with the venture.

    There was quite the following and our old customers are still asking for a successor to the product we sold.

    I'm now thinking about creating a successor product and relaunch as a sole D2C business (previously we sold directly but also through retailers and distributors). We were profitable on direct sales but not through the other channels, the latter also drew a lot of personnel and travel costs that I'd like to slash this time around.

    I'm confident in the new product and that I can make it fly. The last years I've launched a new consumer brand from a employee position and managed to get out in top tier media (through professional PR services) and gotten recognition for the product as best in show at CES.

    So, what I'm thinking about is if it would be possible to fund development of the new generation of product through Patreon. I don't know if this would be seen as an naive request or if it would be accepted as a means to make the product a reality.

    After a certain amount of recurring incoming funds I guess part of the pledge could be returned as payment for the finished product in the future.

    I know that Kickstarter and Indiegogo exist but they require a finished product and I'm not at that stage just yet.

    This is my first time reaching out in this community, any thoughts and recommendations to guide me forward are highly appreciated!

    TLDR: I want to relaunch my old consumer electronics brand by funding product development via Patreon - good or stupid idea?

    submitted by /u/Puzzleheaded-Tank203
    [link] [comments]

    Real estate Wholesale

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 12:32 PM PDT

    I've been looking into real estate wholesale for a while now, and I know the basics of it but what are a few things these wholesalers don't tell you about? Is it worth it? Any tips?

    submitted by /u/Pulvarize
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to find a resource who knows SQL and perhaps EDI?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 12:31 PM PDT

    So I co-own / run a software company called ProEDI. It's nothing fancy but we make a living translating people's raw data into POs, Invoices, Healthcare transactions, and trucking EDI transactions. Our software is rather dated, written in COBOL and tough to actually update at the core level.

    However, it works fine on all versions of Windows, and meets the needs of our clients.

    One issue I run into often is someone not being familiar enough with their own data structure coming out of an ERP system, or most often a SQL database. I'm not a DBA and neither are our support staff.

    I personally don't want to learn SQL and MySQL just to assist with this part of my job, and I would be happy to employ someone PT or on an as needed basis. I just don't know the best way (Fivvr? Monster? LinkedIN?) to find this type of talent. Remote work is OK.

    Skills needed:

    • A basic understanding of what EDI is
    • MySQL experience
    • Microsoft SQL experience
    • Some experience working with business professionals in IT
    • Basic understanding of IT from a business standpoint (POs in, Invoices out, etc)
    • English speaking

    A simple thing that I cant do would involve something like re-arranging an extracted .CSV to have a 'header' field with a Trading Partner's name and the transaction, and the following 'detail records' underneath following would loop in a sequential fashion. I have no idea how hard or easy this task is for an average DBA though, and my partner / boss has been burned on temp workers before... I feel like the solution is attainable without a huge amount of investment or risk.

    THanks for any advice!

    submitted by /u/ProverbialFunk
    [link] [comments]

    Stupid question about payoneer/revolut

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 12:25 PM PDT

    So I want to make it so that I can bounce money from Paypal to Wechat and vice versa. Due to the fact that one cannot send from one to the other, there needs to be something intermediate like a bank account.

    But I don't want the money touching the bank account so I want to use something like Revolut. I actually had a lot of trouble registering on revolut. My card got declined time and time again with some error so I gave up. I also have payoneer that's linked with my bank account but I don't quite get if those two are the same.

    From what I understand, I may not be able to use payoneer to send the money, only withdraw (because there is no card linked there) but I'm not sure if I can withdraw with revolut either cause it's just a virtual card. I'm not skilled with this and does anyone have any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/LordAntares
    [link] [comments]

    What did you do to find success?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 11:50 AM PDT

    The £1000 profit in 3 weeks guy is back

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 05:30 AM PDT

    Hey everyone!

    It's me again, the dice guy who had a great first month!

    Well, I thought I'd give an update, as it's now October and I've been running my own little start up since June.

    It's been a crazy couple months in E-Commerce, it's gone surprisingly well... the game I love has provided me with a bloody good living and consistently remained profitable...

    We're now a limited company (The Frog and Flute LTD) and I've just got an accountant. And we've just expanded into our new big ranges and tripled the size of our inventory and advertising due to some private investment.

    I feel super grateful that everyone on this sub was so supportive of the store when it launched and the traffic from my first post alone massively improved my google search rankings! So I'm happy to take any questions or help in any way I can if anybody had any questions? I'm 23 and British, this is my first 'official' company but I've been grafting with different ideas since I left high school.

    Thanks all! Danny Simm TheFrogAndFlute.com

    submitted by /u/DannySimm97
    [link] [comments]

    Importance of NDA in food industry?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 11:14 AM PDT

    Specifically I'm going into the protein supplements industry. I will be working with a manufacturer to make flavours that I have not seen yet in the market but I am unsure the importance of non-disclosures in general and more specifically in this industry. Should I be making the manufacturer sign one before I disclose what ingredients I would like them to source or are non-disclosures not that important?

    submitted by /u/Idkmanusernamesrhard
    [link] [comments]

    How can I prove that I provided a service?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 04:45 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I run a service based business where I offer site creation, marketing on social media and coaching 1-on-1 with my clients.

    My clients purchase from my website by using their cards, and my payment processor is Stripe.

    I was wondering, if someone calls their bank and says that I scammed them, or didn't provide the service, how could I possibly win the chargeback?

    What evidence could I present?

    Thanks for reading, and an up vote is always helpful, and could help someone in my same situation.

    submitted by /u/Insanefarmer123
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment