• Breaking News

    Tuesday, October 13, 2020

    If you get the response 'sounds good, call me tomorrow afternoon.' do you set a time or just call? Sales and Selling

    If you get the response 'sounds good, call me tomorrow afternoon.' do you set a time or just call? Sales and Selling


    If you get the response 'sounds good, call me tomorrow afternoon.' do you set a time or just call?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 07:28 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    **edit** Looks like I am being misunderstood, let me clear it up. I send out a cold email and the response is 'sounds good, let's connect on the phone tomorrow.' I am not currently on the phone with him/her. So if I respond with a time, they might not respond. So how do I get them from 'sounds great' to 'great, here is my number, let's connect at this time.' **end edit**

    I am new to sales and we have a cold email campaign that is doing pretty good. But occasionally we get a response that says 'call me tomorrow afternoon.' We have their phone number so should we just call them or try to set a time?

    I have been trying to set a time but what typically happens is that they don't respond and 'tomorrow afternoon' comes and goes. So what I am thinking is responding with two times that work for me and then if they don't respond, I pick a time and give them a call.

    Are there any downsides to this? Or should I be handling this completely differently?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Keet_
    [link] [comments]

    Are sales job interviews turning into an enormous waste of time?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 09:14 AM PDT

    Look, I get it. Finding out my current/previous sales quota, what % of that quota was met, my sales strategies, and day-to-day are incredibly important to know should you wish to bring me on board your company's sales team. But if you expect me to send you materials outlining incredibly detailed specifics (mine as well as my colleagues whom they see as my competitors) with screenshots taken from my CRM (which I don't even think is allowed) that would take HOURS to send over then you are a fucking lunatic. I'm already incredibly busy at my current job and you expect me to do all this work following an INITIAL interview??

    Sales job interviews are turning into massive wastes of time and are shockingly inefficient. I have been working in education for the last 13 years (7 years in the classroom, both domestic and international, as well as 6 years in successful sales development and direct sales in SaaS edtech companies) but these edtech companies think sales people just grow on trees. You want to talk about the state of education technology sales and the appropriate strategies to mitigate COVID? I could write a book on it at this point. You want to speak about what gaps need to be filled by your platform as it relates to K12 district needs? I can speak on it in my sleep. But no, they would rather go with the 24 year old with even less experience but is willing to make 90 cold calls a day. Idiots.

    Every time I relay to their sales manager the need to conduct outbound sales in a strategic fashion (taking into account existing CRM data for reference purposes, mapping out the company inbounds in your region to serve as even more ammunition) they interpret this as weaseling out of conducting cold calls. OF COURSE, cold calls are necessary but the point they keep missing is it would be far more advantageous for literally everyone to not focus on the 90 calls but the conversion rate increase. They seem like they want sales to make cold calls just to make cold calls!

    At the end of the day companies, especially in this vertical, think they can just build something and people (to them, idiots) will flock to THEM. They aren't flocking to them? Oh, well, let's just dramatically switch that over to devoting ALL your time to random cold calls without any rhyme or reason. Market deliverables? Nah. Website updates? Ha! Contracting out BDRs with no experience in this industry in providing the most god-awful leads I've ever seen in my professional life? YES!

    submitted by /u/Andman0121
    [link] [comments]

    Do you work with unqualified leads?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 06:26 AM PDT

    My company is taking a terrible direction and has increased lead flow which they think is great while ignoring that the majority of their leads are unqualified. I'm wondering if anyone else deals with this and how? It's burning me out and I'm looking at other sales positions where the lead is prequalified because I'm tired of wasting my time.

    submitted by /u/rexxyrex
    [link] [comments]

    How to Stay Entertained While Cold-Calling

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 08:51 AM PDT

    Hey all, brand new SDR here. I'm working remotely and expected to make about 105 cold calls/day. Apart from training and occasional meetings, my entire job is just doing cold calls and scheduling demos.

    I'm having a really difficult time staying engaged and positive throughout the day, as the typical no answer rate is about 70%, sometimes even worse. I also just find cold-calling in general very monotonous. Consequentially, I'm falling short of the number of daily dials.

    I think the job would be much more pleasant if I had some form of passive entertainment in the background, I was thinking maybe podcasts or music. Does anybody have experience with this situation, and what did you do to keep yourself entertained?

    submitted by /u/Prowland12
    [link] [comments]

    Been selling handmade Italian steam systems door-to-door for 5 years: Ask me anything; or just tell me what you do

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 07:06 PM PDT

    Doing this post for 2 reasons: 1. people in r/sales (especially new salespeople) can learn how good they have it, maybe pick up a few things, or ask about the many different professions of selling 2. I fucking love sales. I get off to this shit. I want to know what type of other sales that are out there

    Think 1960s door-to-door vacuum cleaner salesman. Think Fuller Brush man. Think the Kirby man. Think sharp dressed guy in button up shirt and Allen Edmonds. That's me.

    Started with another in-home product a year before the steam cleaner company started making machines for the US (110v outlets). I basically moved across the country and convinced this successful retired fella to mentor me in life and he was so busy that I'm still lucky I get to meet with him one day a week. Not too long after I started working under him he was contacted by this steam cleaner company to be a distributor and basically went "hey I don't need the money and I'm too busy to really put my all into this. But it's a good opportunity for you and I'll guide you when I can."

    In short I was a 20 year old snot nosed kid still wet behind the ears who was given a couple machines and a pat on the back and told "okay go get 'em tiger" We (the people who agreed to give this company a chance) had no idea how to sells these machines. It was like a bunch of horse jockeys trying to figure out the best way to race Formula One cars.

    So I started out in about the worst possible position: enthusiastically naive and alone

    You see my career was just a little bit different than other in-home product salespeople.

    Most other distributors either had officers from their previous product or had 10 years in the sales game.

    I had never really knocked in a house and sold a product without a canvasser or a team leader. I never really worked by myself before.

    No morning meetings. No provided leads. No outside influence. No one to follow as an example. No idea how to even really use the machine. I just knew it cleaned well and could be sold. So my first 6 months I pretty much fucking starved and cried in my car every day: on the way to the field and on the way home. My poor mother. All those long phone calls.

    But knew it could be done.

    In the 4.5 years since I've learned how to:

    • create a teachable duplicatable demonstration • create a need, build value and overcome objections • get referrals, pick up names and numbers on doors and call to set appointments • get in a house using anything as a door gift - from a bottle of water to an iPad with before and after pictures of what I've cleaned.

    I'm the best in the world at what I do now. As far as selling price, self sufficiency, quality of paper, mental game, and just general skills. I will never master this shit. I've knocked thousands of doors and still see new things every week. As I bring on more people I will only have to master new things. But my love for sales only grows more every day.

    Ask me anything; Or tell me what you do

    submitted by /u/godsfavoritequiche
    [link] [comments]

    New job new issues, not liking retail.

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 09:50 AM PDT

    So I just started selling mattresses for a well known company and I've been pretty good about masking my concerns on selling enough and staying focused on doing the best I can. I've made sales with relatively no issue so far, but it's getting ridiculous.

    First thing, upon becoming eligible for commission the company restructured commissions so I'm supposed to be at $900 for what I've sold, but now I'm at $500 so not even breaking draw. That's fine I'll work with it. Just need to sell and upsell more. Well that's not fine, because it's October and who the fuck makes big spending decisions in October? Maybe it'll get better..

    But wait now there's literally no inventory and all my objections/cancelations have turned to our unreasonable expected delivery dates. Most dates showing mid December now. So fuck my sense of urgency. I know many stores have the same issue, but that knowledge hardly puts food on the table when I have people canceling or getting pissed off when I have to let them know they aren't getting their shit until two months later due to a delay in stock.

    All that said, I know it'll be ok for now. But I can't help but wonder if I should just go ahead and aim to prospect SaaS companies to work for. I want to build a career in sales and I just took the first thing which has definitely opened me up to sales but I'd definitely like to have different problems to deal with rather than no inventory and sitting alone in stores all day and weekends..

    Any advice on how to handle no inventory objections when customers fall in love with a product they can't get soon?

    And I've been here two months now wanting to move into tech sales already. Want to wait it out so my resume doesn't look like shit, but with a computer science background I don't want to do retail too long, so any advice on planning a good career move that won't bite me in the ass?

    submitted by /u/itmaywork
    [link] [comments]

    I'm considering moving into account management

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 09:22 AM PDT

    I'm considering moving into account management with my company and was wondering if any other AMs on here can give me some insight about what they like and don't like about their job?

    submitted by /u/rfyoung
    [link] [comments]

    BDR/SDR comp plan adjustments during pandemic

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 07:34 AM PDT

    Hello. I was wondering if any BDR/SDRs out there experience a comp plan change in the past few months of the pandemic because meetings booked were few and far between? As an org, we shifted our focus to creating more and accurate contacts in SFDC and targeted messaging. Things have picked back up since and a number of RFPs have come in but overall, as a team, we're looking for some type of fair compensation for the work we've done over the past 6ish months that just now is starting to pay off. Happy to answer any additional questions. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/whyamisoitchy
    [link] [comments]

    Microsoft Dynamics CRM Tips and Tricks

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 11:55 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I've been using MS Dynamics CRM for a few years now and while it's not my favorite, I have found a couple of useful tricks inside of it. Things like:

    - Using the "editable grid" format to sift the information a bit easier, or using a contacts view to do mass email list either through the CRM or through a mail merge.

    - Setting up custom views for each type of customer you have and saving these to your personal views so you don't have to filter each time you're looking for a certain kind of prospect.

    Obviously there's a lot of customizing involved in it and it's largely going to depend on your organization and your industry but I thought it would be nice to have a place to share some of these tips.

    So, I was wondering if anyone else had some cool tips and tricks that maybe the average person doesn't know about?

    submitted by /u/alldata_guy1
    [link] [comments]

    Worth buying sales nav?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 06:13 AM PDT

    I work at a company that uses salesforce and gives all their sales reps domains and warm marketing leads. These are good, and a lot of reps hit their quota with just this. But

    I want to supercharge this strategy, and was wondering if it would be worth it to pay for LinkedIn sales navigator out of pocket.

    submitted by /u/Thebreezy_1
    [link] [comments]

    Fear of swinging the bat

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 08:27 AM PDT

    Looking for help/resources on a nasty mindset that has developed this past year and I can't seem to shake:

    I think using a baseball analogy will help explain my issue...

    I love baseball. Love playing the game, love hitting the ball, love everything about it.

    However, I am having an issue with fear of getting a chance to swing the bat. It's an "I hope the next person strikes out, so I don't have to swing".

    This mindset is screwing up my swing. (or in my case, a sales call to a qualified lead "I hope they don't answer the phone")

    Does anyone have any good tips on how to shake this?

    submitted by /u/Recent_Mirror
    [link] [comments]

    How to find passion in something you’re selling

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 10:11 AM PDT

    I need some advice. I'm a little over a month into a new sales job with tools. This is my first job out of college and I don't have much experience but I love sales and want to continue in sales. I'm outgoing, competitive, hard working, and my company is fantastic and rapidly growing.

    My problem is i'm not passionate about tools. It's hard for me to get motivated to sell something i'm not passionate about nor very educated on. I know everyone says "you can't be a good salesperson if you're not passionate about the product" but this is a great company and I can grow with and I need the experience.

    My question is: Can I become passionate in an industry I wasn't initially passionate about? Has anyone been in my situation and succeeded? Any tips, tricks, advice, or motivation would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/ellisbb
    [link] [comments]

    What to ask/say to VP of Sales on that 15 min call?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 03:17 PM PDT

    Double post because I didn't get a response initially.

    Have received some great advice on here related to job searching and how to treat your job search like a sales cycle by prospecting and finding the right contact (ie VP of Sales) and connecting with them on LI with an invitation for a quick chat.

    I want to know what some of you would ask/say on this call. How would the general flow/agenda go? What would you be sure to ask? How would you close out the call - with an ask to be considered for X position??

    submitted by /u/botalwaysints
    [link] [comments]

    Mortgage Loan Officers - Purchase Application Advice

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 08:46 AM PDT

    I'm an LO at a pretty big lender so we have a ton of inbound leads. A lot of purchase leads are coming through and I often skip over them since the calls can take like 30+ minutes since I have to break down EVERYTHING for the borrower. I'm the kind of LO that explains everything in detail so it's time consuming.

    I need some advice on how to quickly navigate these purchase leads and just get more efficient applications. Maybe I can just try to say less and let them just ask what they want to know. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

    submitted by /u/picklez91
    [link] [comments]

    SaaS AE looking to take the next step

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 12:22 PM PDT

    Hey all, thanks in advance for your advice. I have learned a lot from everyone in the past few years.

    I am trying to determine my next step in software/tech sales career. Right now I am in a transactional SaaS sale (80-90 deals per year) for a multibillion dollar company selling into a vertical. It's a good place to work (great product, decent compensation w/ 107k OTE & benefits), but it is not something that I want to be selling next year.

    Ultimately, I am wanting to move into a more technical sale and/or certainly selling larger, more complex deals.

    Just interviewed with Salesforce and it could be an option coming in at their ground level AE in a quickly growing vertical. The hiring manager says this is a tough role and I have friends at SFDC who say that SB / GR AEs really have work hard, but there is a lot of opportunity.

    What direction would you recommend that I look?

    submitted by /u/Comprehensive_Aioli7
    [link] [comments]

    Should I choose ophthalmic assistant or optometry assistant ?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 12:04 PM PDT

    I recently graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical chemistry. I'm interested in pharmaceutical sale. I have experience in working with customer services in 5 years at a restaurant, and I used to volunteer at the emergency department at a hospital in 2 years. I got into pharmacy, but I decide to drop out of the program. I just receive a job offer as ophthalmic assistant and optometry assistant. What should I choose?

    submitted by /u/iluvt3rang
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get back on track?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 11:06 AM PDT

    I'm going to try to make this simple. For the first time in my sales career, I've completely fallen off the horse. For the last 4 months I've had completely sub-par performance and haven't hit my number. I'm in outside sales as a Field Account Executive.

    Ever since Covid started, it's been a disaster at my job. My company hasn't had a plan, hasn't provided us with any resources to help our WFH situation, and my manager doesn't really want to help, he just wants to give lip service and then hope it gets better.

    I can't blame everything on my company of course, I just haven't simply been trying. I can't find the motivation to pick up the phone or call my customers.

    Covid has shown me that I don't see a future with this company, and it has completely killed my motivation to do the job. However, as I search for a new job, I do need to try to earn money and make sure that when the inevitable layoffs come (probably here in December) than I'm not on that list.

    How do you find motivation to do your job when your heart isn't in it anymore & you know it's time to move on?

    submitted by /u/Triplettmusic
    [link] [comments]

    Any former top performers STILL struggling working from home?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 10:57 AM PDT

    Howdy all,

    I've been struggling for a number of months since WFH began, after finishing up my first full year on the job well over 100% of yearly plan. For generic reference I'm an outside rep for an HCM company - my main question is has anyone else experienced the same struggle (and maybe overcame it?)

    I can complain about my territory (had to work my ass off and really get creative last year to achieve those results) or a lack of additional opportunities given to me by higher ups, but I know that bottom line I need to overcome this challenge until returning to the field. Essentially just looking for some perspective, maybe some "ah-ha" moments or best practices y'all implemented to overcome these challenges. Thanks I'm advance!

    submitted by /u/flapjackunicorn
    [link] [comments]

    How do you deal with burnout?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 10:43 AM PDT

    Long time lurker but first time engaging here. I'm currently in a bdr program at a very successful SaaS company. I've been in this role for just over 2.5 years and am really struggling with the burnout that comes with the role.

    I know the lifespan of a typical bdr is around 12 to 18 months but I can't seem to get over the hump. This also drives the motivation out of me. I feel like even my reps I am supporting aren't even completely engaged anymore.

    I've been applying to other roles externally but have a feeling the road is a little bit more difficult for someone who's been in this type of role for so long.

    What are some tips that you all have used when you feel you're getting a little burnt out?

    submitted by /u/Jonbond2
    [link] [comments]

    How much do you oversee your SDR?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 10:37 AM PDT

    And how much are your performance are they supposed to be responsible for? In general our SDRs wildly underperform but how much time do you spend working with them and coaching them to get them to their quota. IIRC, my SDR is supposed to set about 3 of my appointments per month, which at 100% close rate would be about 10% of my quota.

    I kinda wonder if they're even worth my time.

    submitted by /u/ghostoutlaw
    [link] [comments]

    Landed a Meeting w/ Huge Player, Quick Q

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 09:13 AM PDT

    My friends,

    Just landed a meeting with a member of the C-suite of a massive company (not celebrating early, just enjoying the fact that progress is progress), and he dropped this line in an email:

    "I am also standing up IR, so a bit swamped!"

    Did he mean to say starting up internal review, or am I missing something?

    I know this barely warrants a post, but I'm curious.

    Also: why doesnt r/sales have a daily thread for quickly-answered questions? Jc

    submitted by /u/Thumbless6
    [link] [comments]

    Headset recommendations

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 05:44 AM PDT

    I need a headset for Zooming/VOIP sales calls that uses 3-channel AUX input (3.5mm jack with three rings on the plug corresponding to left speaker out, right speaker out, and mic input). Wouldn't mind if it also looked nice. Any suggestions? Microphone audio quality is also very important.

    submitted by /u/chris_conlan
    [link] [comments]

    Salary Negotiations

    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 08:30 PM PDT

    I just got off a call with someone in HR and accidentally told him that my salary expectations were way lower than what im looking for. I said a base of 60, is it hard to negotiate this if i was offered the job?

    submitted by /u/kingosbingos
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment