• Breaking News

    Tuesday, October 6, 2020

    Has anyone experienced an overly-unusual drop in sales after the stimulus ran out and additional unemployement payments went away? small business

    Has anyone experienced an overly-unusual drop in sales after the stimulus ran out and additional unemployement payments went away? small business


    Has anyone experienced an overly-unusual drop in sales after the stimulus ran out and additional unemployement payments went away?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 07:10 AM PDT

    We sell customizable DIY food gift boxes (like a Make your Own Hot Sauce box) online and the individual components for people to make their own/customize their boxes. A lot of people had special bulk orders and were making their own and re-selling them on etsy and facebook.

    In the midst of the pandemic, right after the stimulus hit, sales exploded to record levels that were 300% higher than Q2 of last year. We then ran out of stock and only had some of the individual components like lotions and emollients in stock, that people typically bought in droves. In August though, sales dropped to 50-65% below last year's. Our competitors sell similar products at a lower price, but our products' pricing is higher based on a few unique features. I tried running a sale to match our competitors' prices in early September, but it did not affect unit sales numbers.

    Is anyone else hurting with similar experiences? I know we don't really know the extent of the impact this pandemic has had on our economy yet but I've gotten such mixed signals of everything being OK, to things being rougher than expected.

    submitted by /u/UH2000
    [link] [comments]

    From one man band to handling large growth?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 04:25 AM PDT

    In short, my boss has gone from doing everything himself for the first 8 years, to hiring me, and subsequently 5 other members of staff within a year after me. A lot of change to deal with in a year, which I understand totally.

    Unfortunately it doesn't feel like his procedures are quite lining up with actually now having staff and not having to do everything himself. I care for the business, and my boss, and would love to recommend him some books that might help him adapt, in turn helping the business adapt to now having staff, and a growing list of clients (over double compared to last year, and projecting similar growth next year).

    Apologies again if this is something addressed regularly, but a quick search didn't show anything quite this specific.

    Your personal experiences, suggestions and book recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/throwawe999
    [link] [comments]

    I want to start a coffee business and need some motivation

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 03:20 AM PDT

    Hello, how you are doing guys?

    Me and a friend are studying and working very hard to start a coffee production business. We know we can get far and better, we have all it takes, but sometimes what misses is an advice.

    This friends is son of a small farmer and they produce some coffee in Minas Gerais, Brazil (the best in the freaking world, really) and we dream in making a living from that.

    We are spending weeks after weeks on this project but still fell like we need some help...

    I had some businesses before and every time I start a new project I can't get this out of my mind hahaha.

    If you have some knowledge on coffee market, would you mind if I DM you for some guidance and chat?

    Seems like nobody else where I live have this passion for running after a big dream or the willing to help.

    Thanks for your time people!

    submitted by /u/RPPPL1
    [link] [comments]

    How often do you give employees a raise?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 11:24 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    So as the title says, how often do you give employees a raise? Is it normal to do it every half year? Every year? What's a good average percentage to keep room for growth?

    If it makes a difference, it's a warehouse with lots of manual labor. None of it requires any specialization, it's all easy work, but I've got a great team and I'd like to not lose them.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/MadHaterz
    [link] [comments]

    When can I quit my day job

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 02:33 AM PDT

    Hello, I started a business back in December and it's grown immensely since.

    Most of which was during my 3 months in quarantine which I'm not sure if that's just because I had so much time to work on it or if everyone else was just shopping online more

    But 3 months back at work and my business has more than doubled. Last month was crazy in particular.

    I very much want to quit my day job, at this point it feels like a giant waist of 8 hours

    But I'm afraid once I do that, things will go downhill

    I know figuring out my financial situation is key to quitting. I've been "paying" myself and plan to continue through this month to see how much I could potentially make

    I Tried quickbooks to help figure it out and honestly can't figure out how I'm supposed to organize my spending so my actual profit is correct

    Any advice? Should I take the leap and just quit or should I stick it out and not jump the gun

    Thank you in advance

    submitted by /u/kelstofer
    [link] [comments]

    Help Decide my Business Name!

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 01:27 AM PDT

    I created a business last year and made the (in hindsight) silly decision to name it after myself-- I have since legally changed my name, and will be changing my business name as well. I work in graphic design and illustration, and maintain a pretty 'cute' aesthetic. I'm currently stuck between 'Otter Space Illustration' and 'Otter This World Illustration' with an astronaut otter mascot.

    I was just curious if anyone finds that one sounds better, rolls off the tongue better, or if the wordplay comes across better on one rather than the other. Thanks so much!

    submitted by /u/DivideByZiro
    [link] [comments]

    How to start a business online?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 11:38 PM PDT

    hello, I am currently wondering how to start a small business. me and my friend want to earn a little and do something with our lives, so we decided to maybe start a business. we want to target the age demographic of under 25 , women preferably, and we want some tips. we both don't know much about business, but my friend is learning how marketing works. any tips?

    submitted by /u/skinny_legend1
    [link] [comments]

    Bread wholesaler

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 11:16 PM PDT

    I am starting a rural grocery store, Ive registered with a wholesaler in a city near by but their selection is extremely limited especially when it comes to bread as it is both low selection and constantly out of stock. Has anyone else dealt with this sort of issue before? Should i be getting bread directly from the manufacturer? Or should i try a distributor?

    submitted by /u/callsfromtheabyss
    [link] [comments]

    I need LLC help.

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 07:18 PM PDT

    So I called a few law firms in my area and I'm trying to get am LLC written up. Iv ehad offers from 330 to 100 bucks to draw me up and LLC. I'm kind of leaning towards doing it myself but have no knowledge of business. Can someone PLEASE send me in the right direction on making my own LLC. Thanks in advanced!

    submitted by /u/Shhhigh
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone signed up for a no-fee credit card processor? This is where fees are passed to the customer at POS.

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 02:55 PM PDT

    I have been slammed with calls from different companies offering no-fee credit card processing. I did some research on a few and finally talked a bit to one of them that I verified as legit. I allowed her to do a report on a month's worth of settlement charges.

    It appears on the surface that it can save considerable money by only paying $25 a month and the processing fees passed along to the consumer. They all like to point at all these statistics that show that this is where the industry is headed.

    However, I have yet to experience a company doing this as a consumer or purchasing for my business. It would be great if this worked but my worry is the response from our consumers.

    Has anyone done this? What was your experience? Since there is no contract, I was thinking about doing some testing.

    submitted by /u/endlessly_curious
    [link] [comments]

    Why you should keep bad reviews about your business/product?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 06:35 PM PDT

    No business like getting bad reviews. Multiple bad reviews can be indicative that there's something wrong with your business or product, but not all bad reviews would mean your business is not doing well.

    Bad reviews in a business, just like the positive ones can help your customers weigh in on your business or the products you offer. They even consider it trustworthy when your business or product has both bad and good reviews. It can also make them spend more time to your website browsing for reviews and will most likely lead to conversions.

    Additionally, bad reviews, whether reasonable or not, is a golden PR opportunity. It gives you chance to show off how diplomatic or customer-centered your brand can be. Doing so in a correct manner will even attract more customers to your business.

    Do you have any other reasons to share why bad reviews are not that bad at all? How did you deal with the bad reviews in your business or product?

    submitted by /u/Team_Elephant123
    [link] [comments]

    What is your experience with Square?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 09:52 PM PDT

    I'm thinking of adding Square because it's worked for a few friends. But they say the fees are also high.

    Is it worth it go get Square?

    submitted by /u/LucidManDreams1234
    [link] [comments]

    Starting to work for father-in-law, what is my role?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 09:28 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I am currently doing my bachellors degree in business and management and due to covid-19 lost my job. As an international student in Canada, my fiances dad has offered me to work for his business he has just started. I will be earning minimum wage and so much lower than someone doing what I will be doing should earn as far as I am aware. However, I don't really mind as I have only worked in retail so I feel like this is a good opportunity for me to get experience in business management and project management. The business is a wholesaling marble and I will be his sole employee/partner. The business is also incorporated.

    I am in the middle of drafting an employment contract with him and we are unsure on what my role is. I will be performing a wide range of tasks including the likes of inventory management, light accounting/book keeping, manual labour moving around stock in the warehouse, and also going to meetings with him and making sales. These tasks are very similar to what he will also be doing, just I will be a little more focused towards the admin side as thats what I am studying, whereas, he is an engineer. Another note, I am the one in-charge of making and maintaining the website and developing our branding (logo, business cards, etc..).

    I know that my title is only a very minor detail in a case like this and what my responsibilities are will play a larger part in my future job applications. However, I want my role title to be accurate so I can put it clearly on my linkedin, CV, business cards, and to make sure he respects me a little bit more. So far we have left it at calling me a supervisor but I don't know how accurate this is.

    Any help and advice is greatly appreciated, and I am sorry if I have rambled or if this is a silly question!

    submitted by /u/Zac6060
    [link] [comments]

    Small Glasses company slowly taking off.

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 01:03 AM PDT

    Hey! We own a small sun glasses company Called Reja Jon that's taking of very slowly. Currently I'm in the manufacturing process and seeking great manufacturers. It would mean to world if you could follow us on Instagram: @rejajon

    Leave your business name and social media platform below, I would love to see what you do and provide some support back!

    submitted by /u/Jerimajerima
    [link] [comments]

    Business with multiple income streams

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 08:49 PM PDT

    So I was just thinking about this. I was thinking about creating a business entity. That it would allow all my multiple business ideas to be under one roof. So for example what I would have is an ATM business, pressure washing business, candy machine business, rental properties, etc. etc. would it be better for me to have all those a separate businesses or under one corporation?

    submitted by /u/thisisme2020110
    [link] [comments]

    Tax question construction framing foreman ir contractor

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 08:21 PM PDT

    I am new to this and I have a thousand questions (so I'll try to keep it a little short for now). I'm sure I'll be referred to a tax subreddit or an accounting one but for now...

    My husband does house framing, has been working for his brother in law for a long time but since seemed to be getting paid less and less went to work for another guy. Now he has some kind of deal where he gets some amount per square foot and then he pays for his nails, tools, etc and pays his workers. So for example he'll get like a check for $9000 and pay his workers a total of $3000 for the week and the rest is for him and the other expenses he has (work truck etc).
    I have to help him with taxes because he is from Mexico, not very well educated and before he met me, wasn't paying his taxes. We're also paying back taxes which is a load of fun.
    Anyway I am wondering, I have to give his workers a 1099? We have an LLC for him already. I am keeping notes on the amount of the checks and how much he is paying each worker. How do I go about printing out the 1099s if that is what I have to do?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/idontknowhowtopark
    [link] [comments]

    Logistics

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 08:18 PM PDT

    Do logistics business qualify for sba eidl if so which

    submitted by /u/Advertising_Obvious
    [link] [comments]

    What media platforms or blogs do you read daily?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 04:48 AM PDT

    Hello, what media platforms or blogs would you advise following to get more insights regarding small businesses and it's branding?

    I know about Paul Graham and his YC, also heard about Inside.com and FastCompany. Anything else?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Mrktbloom
    [link] [comments]

    Liability insurance for small manufacturer

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 07:20 PM PDT

    I'm looking at starting to manufacture some electrical devices that would be used in schools and other commercial facilities. They would be plugged in to 110V power with a long cord.

    I'm planning an LLC to reduce personal liability but what do I need for insurance for liability? I've inquired with a couple of insurance agents but haven't found anything available.

    I want to be covered against personal injury or property damage caused by the devices.

    submitted by /u/1971deadhead
    [link] [comments]

    How did you research your market/industry and decide there was money to be made?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 07:03 PM PDT

    What were some indicators that there was opportunity for a successful business?

    submitted by /u/ladidadi82
    [link] [comments]

    How to get more sales?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 06:28 PM PDT

    Hello everyone. I have just, last month, opened my business 360 Creativity. We had a very small advertising budget and have used most of it. We had about 1000 website views this month, but only 2 purchases. Both were from friends of mine. How do I get more people to buy from me? We have lots of social media reach, but little to no buyers.

    submitted by /u/Novel-Neat
    [link] [comments]

    Accounting Software for small IT Services Company?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 02:15 PM PDT

    Hey everyone! Not sure if this is the appropriate area to post this question. If it's not please point me in the right direction and I'll post there.

    Ive hit the ground running with my IT Services company and I need an accounting software solution, like yesterday. Ive been suggested by two people to use QuickBooks but I wanted to see if anyone else had any recommendations. The more economically priced the better.

    Im also looking for a helpdesk management solution including remote assistance tools, so open to suggestions for that. I think there are other subs that are appropriate for that though. Just thought i'd tack that on here since im posting already.

    Appreciate the suggestions in advance. Stay safe out there everyone!

    submitted by /u/ryanisflying
    [link] [comments]

    Where to get custom size bags?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 05:47 PM PDT

    Hi all!

    I'm helping open a small business and we need custom size shopping bags. Particularly, we need bags that have a square bottom and could fit circular planters. Does anyone have any recommendations where to find something like this? All of the bags we've been able to find are relatively narrow and won't work for us. We don't need any custom logo or anything either. Thank you to anyone who throws out any ideas!

    submitted by /u/Teyaknowles
    [link] [comments]

    Starting Small Business in California

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 04:32 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, I just recently started an online Etsy shop and am kind of confused on the legal requirements. I'm working as a sole proprietorship.

    I know I have to file a fictitious business name, and then publish in a newspaper (assuming after I receive an acceptance letter back). Is there any other filings I'd have to do? I've done what research I can but it's a bit confusing.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/bbybanshee
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment