• Breaking News

    Tuesday, October 20, 2020

    Financial Independence Daily FI discussion thread - October 20, 2020

    Financial Independence Daily FI discussion thread - October 20, 2020


    Daily FI discussion thread - October 20, 2020

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 01:08 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to have discussions which you don't feel warrant a new post to the sub. While the Rules for posting questions on the basics of personal finance/investing topics are relaxed a little bit here, the rules against memes/spam/self-promotion/excessive rudeness/politics still apply!

    Have a look at the FAQ for this subreddit before posting to see if your question is frequently asked.

    Since this post does tend to get busy, consider sorting the comments by "new" (instead of "best" or "top") to see the newest posts.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Have any of you delayed retirement to transition to a lower-paying but more fun job?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 10:10 PM PDT

    I'm young and this idea just crossed my mind. Theoretically speaking, if you're at coastFIRE all you need to do is make enough to cover expenses until retirement age, and anything you make above that will bring retirement sooner. Do any of you plan on transitioning to more enjoyable jobs at the expense of a lower salary and a delay in early retirement? For example if you're 35 and could retire in 10 years on your current path or in 20 years doing something more fun and flexible.

    I read so many stories here that focus on retiring early and wanted to see if anyone has any stories more on the financial independence side, where FI might mean you have the freedom to do the work you want rather than the work that pays more, even if you're not near retirement. I'd love to hear your story.

    submitted by /u/disgruntIed_giraffe
    [link] [comments]

    Advise on Career Path

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 04:25 PM PDT

    Background info: I'm 16 and I live in the EU (fr) / bilingual (fr/engl) / straight A student (I work hard)

    As the title indicates, I was wondering what career path I should persue in order to achieve financial independence between when I'm 40-50.

    I am rather lost on what I want to with my life. Should I go for high paying jobs?

    I am debating on whether to go for a business school or a engineering school and I would like your input as the ppl on this sub have experience that I lack.

    I am really interested in finance and how the economy works (especially personal finance) and know that jobs in this sector have high salaries. On the other hand, I would also see myself becoming an engineer of some sort.

    In France where I plan to do my studies, all business schools are private meaning that I will more than likely need to get myself into student loan which I'm rather against. On the other hand, some engineering schools are public so I could study for "free" (living expenses...).

    So my questions are:

    What possible (preferably high paying) careers do you recommend in either fields?

    Which field do you think is best suited for financial independence?

    Thank you for reading this :)

    Tell me if this is the wrong sub or to which sub I could post this

    Tl;dr what's better engineering or finance?

    submitted by /u/EmeraldMoonChaser
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment