• Breaking News

    Sunday, October 11, 2020

    Buying is weird, selling is weirder Real Estate

    Buying is weird, selling is weirder Real Estate


    Buying is weird, selling is weirder

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 06:02 PM PDT

    We've been on both sides of the sale as of today and that perspective is eye opening.

    The SO and I have been hunting since March (central FL) and getting exasperated at how quickly things were moving. We ultimately found something, paid high, but locked in 2.99% so we're ecstatic. This took a painful and roller coaster like 7 months.

    Well, now we needed to sell our current house. Our listing hit MLS last night about 5:30 pm. 22 hours, 6 showings, and 5 offers later we are under contract at 11k over asking.

    WTF?

    submitted by /u/MeenalConnalFlanay
    [link] [comments]

    Agent Keeps Calling Me

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 01:05 PM PDT

    I was on the hunt for a house a few months back, spoke with several relators until I found one that suited my needs the best. I bought a house using her and have been moved in for a few weeks now. However, there's one pesky realtor I keeps getting calls from on an almost weekly basis. I was upfront and told him I went with someone else and have already bought a house. However he keeps calling me and asking if anything changes to let him know. I've stopped answering his calls, but he leaves voicemails essentially stating the same thing. Is this just a pushy realtor or is this guy a nut case?

    submitted by /u/Bigjuiceman97
    [link] [comments]

    [Update] Seller didn't move items by end of contract

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 08:00 PM PDT

    Here's a quick summary of my situation:

    1) Closed on house sept 8th. contract states 'Buyer agrees to allow seller 30 days after closing to remove items from barn'

    2) Today is Oct 10th (32 days after closing)

    3) Seller has left 30-40% of barn filled with his tools/stuff. I'd say probably ~5k-8k worth of tools.

    4) I need the barn space to hold my furniture while I remodel the house and his junk stops me from doing that.

    Today the seller shows up and walks into the backyard saying he's going to load another trailer of his stuff. I told him he's way past time and his 30 days are up but he sweet talks his way into me giving him 1 hour to load what he can and get out. After 30 minutes, I remind him his time is almost up and he gets angry and threatens to call the cops (?). The cops arrive and tell the guy this is my land and all the stuff is my property now after 30 days of closing. (I'm not too sure about this but whatever). I tell the guy he has the rest of the hour to get whatever he can and leave. Lots of yelling and he states he's coming back tomorrow 10am to grab more stuff. I told him I'll call the cops the second he arrives on the property but he doubles down saying he will be here.

    As soon as he left, I bought extra locks for every door on the barn and set up a motion camera in the backyard. He probably left ~2k of tools but I'm not letting him in unless I get a letter from an attorney.

    People be crazy out here.

    submitted by /u/i3uu
    [link] [comments]

    Astronomical water bill for first month in new home. Error or major problem?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 07:57 PM PDT

    We purchased a house at the end of August and took possession on the 8/26. We just got our first water bill for the period ending 10/1/20, and the total is $532.66!! It says we've used 72 CCF of water in 38 days, which is approximately 53,859 gallons of water, and it is just me and my fiancée. So if this number is to be believed we have each used 708 gallons a day, which is roughly the equivalent of us taking 41.5 showers/day, EACH.

    This cannot be correct, can it? Is there a possibility something is wrong with the meter? The house had all new piping with PEX piping done in 2015 and had a sewer line repair in early 2019, each job cost roughly $7k. The previous owners installed an irrigation system in the backyard but it's been so wet recently that I haven't had it on for two weeks, and it was running 3-4 times a week.

    The only other option is there is a leak, somewhere, that is not noticeable and has somehow been missed by inspections and myself. There is no evidence of moisture or mold and the yard seems to drain fairly well (though the south side does stay pretty damp but I believe this is because it doesn't get much sunlight).

    Who should I call first? The city? A plumber? What would a good first step be to addressing this huge bill and making sure I never see one like that again?

    FYI since our last meter check (10/1) and today the meter is up 11 from its last ready, which means we've used about 8,000 gallons in 9 days. That just does not make sense. Any advice is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/SeriouslyImKidding
    [link] [comments]

    I’m 17 years old and am really interested in getting into real estate as a career. I would greatly appreciate any type of advice that would benefit me in my future career.

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 01:20 AM PDT

    Buying a house with Fully Paid Tesla Solar System Panel

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 08:48 PM PDT

    Looking at a home that is pretty well updated and it has a Tesla Solar System Panel. Its fully paid for. I know nothing about this and most threads are about leased Solar systems. The roof was updated in 2004. There is no storage capacity per the disclosure.

    So a few questions.

    1. Is this a good system?
    2. Can i really expect to save money on electricity?
    3. Can it be used to store energy and be used as a generator? The disclosure says it doesnt have storage capacity but im wondering if it could be expanded to do this?
    4. Any catches/gotchas about this?
    5. There is also mention about rebates and an SREC exchange whats this all about?
    6. Any other questions that i should ask or take into consideration should i put an offer on the home?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/ICE_MF_Mike
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to finish living trust for father-in-law. House was purchased in 1957 and the title company doesn't exist (or was consumed by bigger company), and the lawyer wants a copy of title insurance or preliminary title report. What's the best way to get preliminary title insurance? (CA)

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 11:56 AM PDT

    Sorry for the long title. This whole ordeal has been a headache and we were almost done before we hit this snag.

    Long story short is we are trying to finish up a living trust for my father-in-law and the lawyer is asking for either title insurance proof or a preliminary title report to be run on his one property. It's already cost us more than we can really afford at the moment so another $1k is quite a blow.

    The house in question was signed over by his mother in 2008 just before she passed and originally purchased in 1957. The title company on the documents we have show that title insurance was obtained through a company in Los Angeles/California called "Land Title Insurance Company". After much searching and calling everywhere we thought the information could be, we found nothing.

    -Is there a way to track down this original title insurance? Or has it disappeared with history? We've tried to call the "Big 3" title insurance companies but have had no luck.

    -The lawyer referred us to some place to get a preliminary title report, and they are quoting $600. Is this high? Do you recommend another place where the same service can be done?

    Thanks much and hopefully that wasn't too confusing...

    submitted by /u/incunity
    [link] [comments]

    Homeowner's insurance raised by $300 a year?!

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 02:56 AM PDT

    About to close on a house. Location SoCal. Had AAA give me a quote at $1100 a year. During the final walkthrough, I was able to talk to the seller. Turned out they are also using AAA, and they are only paying $800 a year. Things to note is that I have AAA auto insurance too, so I should have a multi-policy discount as well.

    Is it normal that after a transaction, the insurance company hikes up the price by almost 30%? And if not, what could have caused it and what can I do about it?

    submitted by /u/j4h17hb3r
    [link] [comments]

    Feel free to disagree (amateur market forecast)

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 08:31 AM PDT

    But I have a hunch that we are not going to experience a crash, or even a dip, any time soon. Particularly in less urban/more rural settings.

    Those who are hit hardest by the pandemic are not (generally speaking) prospective home buyers. Many were already priced out of the market. Interest rates are forecast to remain low. I don't think the supply side is going to come roaring back - all of this uncertainty has been on a more existential level than any of us have dealt with before, and I think people will tend to stay put longer/not jump into the market as sellers. In addition: it increases motivation to buy vs. rent, so I think we will actually continue to see an INCREASE in the demand side as more people make the jump as first time homebuyers, particularly as people are more open to leaving expensive markets as renters to buy homes in more affordable areas.

    Re: rural markets - I think there will continue to be a net migration away from cities and into more rural/suburban markets (exhibit A: the more expensive, urban markets are the ones that have bounced back on the supply side. Read: people are selling their homes there and taking their money to other, greener (literally) pastures.) We are in California and are hearing stories of insane cash offers in more rural areas, and friends who are getting priced out of their own markets in more rural areas by silly bay area money as techies prepare to work remotely for the long haul.

    There continue to be high standards for qualification for mortgages, so while I anticipate some level of increase in foreclosures due to job loss, I don't think this will be dramatic enough to trigger a crash.

    The boom may slow, but I don't think we're at the peak. I'm also betting on this, as we're about to close on our first home.. I'd rather be in a home when a dip comes than houseless when the market climbs out of reach.

    Just feeling like getting it all out there.

    submitted by /u/Rich_Menu_9583
    [link] [comments]

    Talked with a Mortgage Broker that I liked but she got weird when I asked how she gets paid, what her fee is or what percentage they take. She didn’t give me a straight answer and it was the only time talking to her where she didn’t seem upfront with me. Normal? Red flag?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 09:54 AM PDT

    Is it wrong to be really picky on a home?

    Posted: 11 Oct 2020 12:45 AM PDT

    So I've been looking for houses the past few months and I've seen some really good houses, and I've seen some bad.

    With all the houses I've seen I always notice one small fault that I did not like.

    One house I recently put a bid on has a fault that's just eating me away.

    Its about 1390 sqft. Which is ok I guess given im single.

    Built in 1999 but the whole house have been updated. For example:

    1. New Light fixtures.

    2. New paint

    3. New kitchen appliances and granite counter tops.

    4. Harwood floors.

    Things I am finding fault in:

    1. Washing machine and dryer are in a small closet in the kitchen.

    2. The living room and dining is really small.

    3. Not a big fan of mounted TV's but have no option here because no other place to put the TV in the living room.

    I've seen other beautiful houses I wish I got, but its a very very competitive market here in NC and I don't see it slowing down any time soon.

    But is it normal for me to feel like this?

    submitted by /u/Neverknowthefeel
    [link] [comments]

    Broken truss, should I be worried?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 06:22 PM PDT

    Good Home, Bad location, How do I sell?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 08:27 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I am a homeowner looking to sell my 3/2. Its priced about 10k below market value, and it has nearly brand new appliances, no repairs, new roof by closing, move in ready. The only downside to the home is next to a gas-station that has people coming and going all the time.

    I lived there for several years and never really had a problem other than the loud music being played once in a while. However, it seems to be the stick in the mud when it comes to selling the house.

    we have received 4 offers but they all seem to pull out within a couple days after putting them in. I am not sure what else I can do to get the house sold. Maybe I am being impatient, but its been on the market for 18 days and despite several dozen showings, only 4 offers that got cancelled is giving me quite a bit of anxiety.

    Any advice?

    submitted by /u/captnkrunch
    [link] [comments]

    Story time, we’re the back-up offer

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 06:11 PM PDT

    My husband and I are first time homebuyers. After a few months of looking, we found a fantastic house in a great area. We've viewed about 15 houses and this was the first one be both agreed on. The house only had the virtual tour up and said coming soon so we immediately asked our realtor to make an appointment as soon as viewings started. Fast forward a few hours and the house is already set to pending!

    After some back and forth with the listing agent, we find out the sellers accepted the first offer, sight-unseen. The sellers have a new baby and had tight restrictions in place during any showings. We decided to put a back up offer in, $15k over listing, also sight unseen. We have no idea what the price of the accepted offer.

    This is the first time we've put an offer in and I made a major rookie mistake of getting emotionally attached to a house. I know there are other houses and we're in no rush but that doesn't mean I'm not super disappointed and disheartened from the situation.

    I know we live in a very competitive market but I didn't realize it the type of situation where we should be putting offers sight unseen or while a house is "coming soon". Even last week, a house my husband and I were debating was changed to pending within two hours of us viewing it - this was also the first day of showings.

    With this house we did put an offer in, I understand they didn't want strangers to come through their home but lately we are find ourselves in these crazy competitive situations.

    Anyway, that's the rant. Wondering if anyone had similar stories? Advice on competitive markets? success stories of back-up offers being accepted? Or general happy house hunting tips?

    submitted by /u/funnysoccergirl7
    [link] [comments]

    Why would seller take down house address numbers before closing?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 12:28 PM PDT

    I closed on a house a couple of weeks ago and noticed that the seller removed the house numbers and left them inside the house, so I have to put them back up again. The house is still listed on Trulia, I'm not sure if it's related. The picture on Trulia shows the house address numbers, so they must have been taken down for a reason. I'm wondering what the reason is, if anyone has run into anything similar.

    Edit: I'll put the numbers back up myself and it's not a big deal, I am just curious about the possible reason to remove them. The thing that is more annoying is that the house is still up on Trulia.

    submitted by /u/plasticblowfish
    [link] [comments]

    What are some real estate marketing ideas that bring a lot of value to a potential customer while also getting your name out there?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 11:55 AM PDT

    Hello all,

    I am trying to get my name out via marketing, but I do not want to spam potential buyers or sellers with trash that they have to throw away. I have been for years studying my marketing items before I order them. My most successful marketing item has been a metal business card that also has a bottle opener. People loved it, but I can't help but to think there are many more ideas out there that ca help me bring more value to potential customers while also getting my name out there.

    So as the title says, what are some real estate marketing ideas that bring a lot of value to a potential customer while also getting your name out there? I'd prefer an instant "thank you" from a potential customer rather than one quick sale.

    Thank you!

    Edit: Ps, feel free to steal the card idea if you'd like. I'd appreciate some feedback in the future about how your customers perceive it.

    submitted by /u/adibtheman
    [link] [comments]

    First time homebuyer: Buying something under construction

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 03:24 PM PDT

    My wife and I looked at a place today with our agent and loved it. Unfortunately the agent told us the place was already under contract.

    However, the reason why the place was listed was because the developer was building another unit in a different location (better location). She said the unit would be the exact same. Construction isn't expected to be completed until Jan and they're currently working on plumbing.

    There's two buildings being built which each have two units...our agent told us three of them have already been sold.

    My wife and I really liked the place and would probably put in an offer as long as we knew it came out like the unit we saw. We already noticed the windows were already a little different, but that's not a deal breaker.

    How should we proceed if we want to make an offer to ensure we end up getting a place like the one we saw?

    submitted by /u/maddenppl
    [link] [comments]

    How to politely tell a realtor you're going with someone else?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 10:07 AM PDT

    We spoke with several realtors and they were all very enthusiastic and helpful but we can only choose one. How do we politely tell the realtors we are speaking to that we've chosen to go with someone else? (Small town, everyone knows everyone else type situation)

    submitted by /u/hcconn
    [link] [comments]

    She shed

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 10:28 PM PDT

    Hi,

    My wife and I recently bought an office building for her growing small business because as our home is too small to support a workspace.

    Well after 2 short months since we bought the 20x14 building we found out we are expecting our fourth child and need to move to a new house to have enough bedrooms and living space for our family.

    Short question, I will not have the loan on the small building finished by the time we sell our home.

    Would I be able to sell my home with the building included? I would probably use the proceeds on the sale to pay off the loan, but I'm just not sure how that works as far as the buyer is concerned?

    The loan is in my name, so obv I am on the hook. How does the agent usually make this work or is there no issue?

    submitted by /u/iconoclast88
    [link] [comments]

    Homes listed on Redfin/Zillow for a long time

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 06:10 PM PDT

    Currently been looking at homes every once in a while in preparation for when I am ready to buy. Some homes looks really nice, but seems to be listed for a long time. 78 days in this market seems extreme. Is this a bad sign that maybe something is wrong with the home?

    submitted by /u/Justhereforthelemon
    [link] [comments]

    How do I make a passive income with real estate

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 09:52 PM PDT

    Im literally 18, Only 10k to my name along with a low credit due to barely getting a credit card

    After college I expect to have a better credit score along with more money saved but how simple is getting a passive income with housing?

    Do I just purchase a house and then rent it / Finance a house and have someone rent it from me? Or Is it more complicated?

    submitted by /u/mexicanfifaplayer510
    [link] [comments]

    How do i figure out what area to purchase a house in?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 09:49 PM PDT

    I live in winnipeg, manitoba. I want to buy my first rental property but I can't decide which area are rent friendly? I could buy a house a house near youniversity of manitoba but the prices there are between 350k to 500k. And its my first rental property so I'm getting hesitant about it. I would feel more comfortable with 250k to 300k for my first rental. Also talking to real estate agent, dosent help much cuz at the end of the day they just want to make a commission. If you live in Canada any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/eren101
    [link] [comments]

    Incorrect Homeowner Insurance Agency In Closing Paper

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 03:47 PM PDT

    I closed on my new home on 9/29. I've just reviewed my closing paper and noticed they put the insurance agency incorrectly. Initially I sent the lender the policy of insurance agency A. Then I noticed the agent was trying to sneak very high "agency fee" in so I called company A to cancel the policy and went with company B. The agent from company B worked with the loan officer and sent them the dec page (I have all of the emails of these communication). So I would assume the loan officer should get everything correctly, right? Nope.. I've just noticed today that the lender messed up and put company A as my insurance agency. I emailed both the loan officer and the title company regarding this but don't expect them to get back to me until Monday.

    My question is normally when would insurance premium from escrow get sent to the insurance agency? I checked the policy from company A and it was cancelled, so in case the premium was sent to them from my escrow, they'll have to return the money, won't they? At this point, will the lender or the title company need to fix this?

    Location: TX

    submitted by /u/minhtuanta
    [link] [comments]

    Millennial Roll Call - Who Is FOMO Buying and Who Is Giving Up?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 12:52 PM PDT

    Curious to hear the reddit anecdotes - any urban area millennials here FOMO buying or just giving up?

    Prices have literally increased 10-15% since covid, and there are still bid wars with 10 offers within 2 days of list. Just absolutely infuriating and is giving me extreme amounts of stress (on top of all the BS going on at my workplace). At this point, I am beginning to consider moving to a medium cost of living area and settling for a 50k salary job..

    submitted by /u/Stayincalifornia2k20
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment