• Breaking News

    Monday, October 19, 2020

    AmeriCorps Education Award ($6K off my loans!!) Student Loans

    AmeriCorps Education Award ($6K off my loans!!) Student Loans


    AmeriCorps Education Award ($6K off my loans!!)

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 07:30 PM PDT

    So I spent a year in an AmeriCorps VISTA program after graduating college. When you complete your year of service, you are eligible to receive the Segal Education Award for $6095 to put towards your loans. My award finally went through with Nelnet so I just saw my balance go down by $6K. Only $22,000 to go on my federal loans now.

    submitted by /u/kperezMKE
    [link] [comments]

    Is it a better idea to pay off an individual loan group vs just paying a lump sum on the whole account?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 11:54 AM PDT

    I kept putting what would be my payments into an account during this whole covid forbearance thing for a little bit of intrest cause every little bit counts. I saved up enough to pay off 2 of my loan groups ( Group A ..ect) but would it be a better idea to just throw it at the whole account instead?

    submitted by /u/MauiiWowiee
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking advice about fiancé’s student loans

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 10:01 PM PDT

    My fiancé is in medical school and when he graduates(after our wedding), he will have around 200k in student loan debt.

    I have a high paying job. By the time he graduates I will have 100k in stocks, 50k in cash, 190k in a trust from my family and 100k in retirement funds.

    I know a resident salary isn't the best, but he could start by paying a bit off for a few years and then quickly attack the debt after making a full doctor salary while I cover our other expenses.

    Or... I could immediately pay off most (if not all) of the debt from my assets and then we could use our combined income to rebuild our financial portfolio.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/un0rgina1u5ername
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a deadline for federal student loans?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 01:53 PM PDT

    Hi everyone I am a student in NYC and I am currently struggling to pay next spring 2020 semester tuition. I am planning to take out a subsidized federal student loan and I was wondering is there a deadline for it?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/chenqin
    [link] [comments]

    If a parent doesn’t pay the parent plus loan off, does it affect me?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 03:15 PM PDT

    Basically the title.

    I'm still in college for a couple of years and my mom has been taking out Parent Plus loans to help me with school. She has a lot of debt already (tbh I don't even know how she was approved) and I honestly don't know if she'll pay it off or even try to. If she doesn't, will it affect me? Or when she dies one day will the unpaid debt become mine? I can't really find information about it online

    submitted by /u/Canadia_213
    [link] [comments]

    Consolidation?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 12:54 PM PDT

    Every semester I get a federal loan from fedloan servicing/department of education. Will I have to pay every loan off one by one or since they're all from the same service There will just be 1 monthly payment? Do you only consolidate different loans?

    submitted by /u/ace1927aa
    [link] [comments]

    Private loans without a co-signer?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 11:15 AM PDT

    Hey everyone. I asked r/Personalfinance and didn't get much info, I think maybe the folks here may have run into this and am hoping for some advice.

    I'm 32 years old and have spent the last 16 years building up my credit so that some day I could follow my dreams and go to college. I come from a poor family. My parents are both retired and have been divorced since I was a young kid. They don't have good credit or very high income. Neither is terrible but it's not so great either.

    My credit however, is immaculate. I've never missed a payment. I've paid off cars, motorcycles, personal loans, lines of credit, etc. My credit score is in the low 800s. I can also show that in 2019 made about 55-60k this year will be less though.

    For some reason, this isn't good enough for places like Sallie Mae and Discover. I have no respect for Sallie Mae whatsoever, as any time you try to get anyone who knows anything you get some one who can barely speak english and has no idea what you're talking about. At least for me when I've called in. When I applied for a private student loan through them they said I would need a co-signer and listed some really dumb and entirely not true reasons as to why, like too many credit inquiries recently (I've had 2 total in several years) and not having a retail line of credit even though I've got 4 credit cards with high limits and balances paid off to 0.

    Discover said they wanted a cosigner too but when I call them I always get some one friendly and helpful. I really get good vibes from them. They said the only reason they wanted a cosigner was because the school I had chosen (Liberty University) fell just below their academic minimums and that's why they want a cosigner.

    The program I'm looking to do(Commercial Airline Pilot with a bachelor's degree in Aeronautical Science), Liberty does it for the best rate in the quickest time. I've tried looking into other universities with similar programs and they are either not in my area nor have affiliates here or they are extremely costly and this program already costs a lot.

    I was told about a company called Ascent that doesn't require a cosigner but you have to prove you make 24k a year to continue to get their loans, even if you've been in school a year or two and are a full time student. I could do it the first year but would be screwed after that.

    There has to be a way for me to secure the funding I need. The total program cost will be about 150k but the first year will be the biggest part of it and take about 70k from a private student loan. Fafsa approved me for 19k which would pretty much go to supplies and living expenses.

    Any ideas or advice would be very greatly appreciated. I've worked a long time to be able to do this and I don't want to give up. It feels like all these places just want to see rich parents for a private student loan which I don't have, but I feel there still must be a way for a credit worthy adult to do this on their own...

    submitted by /u/Foxtrot_Mike_Lima
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment