• Breaking News

    Monday, October 19, 2020

    A warning about /u/Altruistic_Mind4836 and Private Messages Insurance

    A warning about /u/Altruistic_Mind4836 and Private Messages Insurance


    A warning about /u/Altruistic_Mind4836 and Private Messages

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 01:30 PM PDT

    There is a user sending unsolicited Private Messages to people that have participated in threads regarding diminished value. Their original username was banned from the sub last year for soliciting business. The new tactic is to redirect you to their website in order to sell you their professional services. Or they're going to harass you for a different opinion. If you received one of these messages, you should hit the report button since they're breaking site-wide rules against advertising as well as trying to circumvent their ban. I also strongly recommend that you not engage with this person since the only thing that you know for sure at this point is that they have decided that Reddit rules do not apply to them.

    submitted by /u/key2616
    [link] [comments]

    The right insurance company may not be the one that charges the lowest premiums. Make sure they will be there for you when you need them the most.

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 07:05 PM PDT

    Tagged this as home, but this applies to all personal insurance and especially P&C lines. Don't stop your search when you find the company with the cheapest price. While there's no reason the cheapest company can't be the best one, there are other considerations. Keep in mind that literally the only reason to have insurance (other than being required to by law or a mortgage agreement) is to be taken care of if you have a claim, so consider the following:

    Customer satisfaction ratings - pay attention to satisfaction among people who have had a claim

    I have worked at two insurance companies and been exposed to the workings of many others. During the worst catastrophes where companies have thousands of claims made at once, I've seen some companies rush to send executives and claims professionals to the site of the event and help people any way they can as soon as possible, up to and including issuing checks for hundreds of thousands of dollars within a day of the event. I've seen others respond with a note on their websites saying something to the effect of "We are experiencing increased claims volume due to the recent catastrophe; if you can't get a hold of our claims office, please send us an email detailing your claim and we will get back with you when we can." If you lost your home in a wildfire or hurricane, which level of service would you want? (Good or bad claims service can be found in small or big companies)

    What you should do: Look up your company's homeowners claims satisfaction rating at JD Power here: https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2020-us-property-claims-satisfaction-study. There's an auto version as well. If your cheapest price is from a company that scores poorly here, stay away. You can't trust that company to deliver in the only area that matters. Also, if you have a small nuisance claim, pay attention to how the company handles it. If you can't trust them to handle a $100 roadside service or $2,000 Comp claim correctly, you shouldn't trust them to be there for you if you have a $250,000 injury claim or total homeowners loss.

    Financial Strength

    Insurance companies' financial strength is regulated similar to that of banks. Like your deposit at a bank, your claims are guaranteed by the government, this time the government being your company's state of domicile (Texas if you use USAA, Illinois for State Farm, etc.). But if your company goes insolvent and that guarantee needs to be used due to your company not having the funds to pay your claim, the state may take longer to pay or may only pay up to a certain amount, the second point particularly if you have an expensive home or car.

    What you should do: AM Best is an American company that is solely focused on providing financial strength ratings for insurance companies. They have access to essentially anything they need at any company in order to assess that company's strength, including combing through the company's finances annually and meeting with its executives several times a year. Search your company at https://ratings.ambest.com/, or just search "[company name] am best" on Bing or Google. I suggest staying away from any company that doesn't earn a B+ or above.

    What coverage is being offered? Is it enough?

    The cheapest insurer may be the cheapest because they are offering you less coverage than the other companies. Make sure the limits are adequate to take care of you even in the worst possible scenarios, make sure you have all the optional coverages you need (example: if you live in an earthquake-prone area, you need to actually buy earthquake coverage on your home; that's not automatically included), and make sure you have the assets necessary to pay any deductibles you may have.

    With new insurance companies starting up and existing ones pushing into new states, the market today is quite possibly the most competitive insurance market in American history. Make sure you take advantage of this fact to make sure you and your family will be taken care of when you need help.

    submitted by /u/Actuary50
    [link] [comments]

    Insurance company requesting backpay of over $10,000

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 02:09 AM PDT

    Hello. I'm trying to seek some advice. I'm insured with AETNA's Foreign Service Benefit Plan. The plan includes physical therapy as a benefit, and I have been going to physical therapy sessions in South Korea for the past 5 years. I sent receipts from my physical therapist to AETNA, and have been receiving claim payments for the past 5 years. However, AETNA recently sent a letter in the mail stating that these claims are invalid and I owe over $10,000 in backpay.

    The problem is, in South Korea you cannot explicitly say you have given "physical therapy" unless you're a practicing doctor. The physical therapist I have been going to is certified as a physical therapist by the South Korean government, but does not practice medicine. The receipts as a result say I received "Rehabilitation Exercise," not "Physical therapy." AETNA is not convinced by this.

    I already sent a formal letter attaching my doctor's recommendation for physical therapy from 2013 as a result of continued back pain/shoulder pain, and a copy of my physical therapist's certification by the South Korean government. I'm sure going to a regular physical therapist with no MD would have been no problem in the US.

    I received a letter in the mail today stating again that I owe over $10,000 in back pay, no mention whatsoever of the letter I sent around a month ago.

    I do live overseas, but will be calling them soon and wanted to receive any advice on this. I'm not sure why I have to pay all this money back when they made the mistake of accepting these claims from a 5-year timeline. I think taking legal action will be costly as well, and I can't actually appear in any hearings since I'm overseas. What should I do if AETNA does not stand down on this?

    submitted by /u/stdinis0
    [link] [comments]

    Auto Insurance Claim leading to sue

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 10:03 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I currently reside in Alberta Canada. Back on March 20, 2018 my SO was involved in an at fault accident. Essentially the person in front of her lost control of the car and his car turned sideways, my SO ended up hitting his rear driver door. There was no significant damage the car was completely fine besides the cosmetic issues (dented side door). There was multiple accidents at the same location the same day however my SO's was the first. Initially the insurance company offered us 50/50 fault.

    Eventually the insurance company determined my SO at fault. Under my 1M liability the individual was paid and the case was settled. Alberta has a 2 year policy to sue for insurance issues.

    The passenger in the car with the not at fault person filed a claim on March 17, 2020 (based on the law firms stamps) 3 days before the 2 year claim expiration. Essentially they are claiming they were stationary and my SO lost control and hit the rear of their car. Based on the pictures I saved I see only damage to the left side drivers door (the persons car slipped and went sideways hence the side hit). The passenger is now sueing my SO and myself (car was registered under my name) claiming over 200K in damages, they claim they have severe nerve damage, nausea, shock, significant bodily damage basically I'm struggling to name some sort of damage they claim they didn't have.

    They also claimed my SO was distracted on the phone, likely fatigued or under the influence, driving at an unsafe speed, and that I did not maintain the car properly hence why the crash took place. None of which was true (I understand it's my word vs his)

    At the time of the accident, a police statement was written however no ambulance was called and the officer said to obtain damage stickers and that was it. The person was completely fine.

    I'm now wondering what steps to take, I've been told I have 20 days to reply to the notices by the law firm. Thanks for everyone's advice.

    submitted by /u/playcs
    [link] [comments]

    So frustrated.

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 10:17 AM PDT

    I live in Iowa and our home was nailed by the derecho that went sweeping in on august tenth. This has been a frustrating and confusing process. That's still not done. Like, at all.

    An electrical wire was pinned to my roof, shredded shingles, whomped the steel siding, and apparent damage to the front of my roof and two holes in my garage roof and other property damage that I have to go after the electrical company for because it's not incident related - retained wall destroyed so trucks could get in to get to poles on adjacent property and when they got the tree off my roof, they let the pieces drop and two impact points on my poured patio. Hooray...

    I thought the adjuster had gone on my roof. I saw the guy on my garage roof. But it seems he only went on my garage roof and relied on a drone to take pictures of my roof. He noted 4 shingles needing replacing, and a siding panel, trim and flashing.

    First rain, I had water coming in from the front of my room into the office. Like, bring a baby pool in and put it under the light fixture, wet vac bail it out 3 times. Notified insurance. They said to find a roofer and update with more information. By this time, they had already thrown a check at us. We squirreled away the portion meant for the roof and trim.

    Ghosted by a roofer with high referrals from friends who also never went up top, said if things leaked, call but confidant everything was fine based on adjusters paperwork. Ghosted by second company. Finally find one that comes out next day (this past Friday) explain that at this point I just need it tarped, and then will proceed from there, here's my insurance adjusters paperwork. He goes up, gets his big ass ladder and comes back down. Shingles gone up front. Some places down to the felt, others no felt. Easily have been seen if someone had gone up. They tarped it to prevent further leaking. Are dealing with my insurance.

    At this point do I ask for a second adjuster? Like this is ridiculous now. It's halfway through October, I now have to deal with getting insulation in my roof replaced, possibly new light fixture, there's a fan system in my roof that is not working since this storm. And my insurance apparently is only covering 4 shingles of three tab, to repair a lost patch on one side and I have steel siding that has been scratched to hell and back and I know this now because it's rusting. Did I mention I am a corner property? You can see three sides of my house from the road because of the nature of an adjacent property/hill.

    Do I have the right to ask for a second adjuster to come and actually go up on my roof, not use a drone, and walk with my contractor? This is not the contractor messing around up there. He has come out weeks after this happened and confirmed what I knew from water coming in.

    At what point do I go from polite with my insurance, to asking to speak to a manager. I am selling this house in two years, moving to another state and I want to make sure this doesn't bite me in the ass.

    Also what the hell was this check they cut me then? I can't fix everything wrong with my roof or siding for 3k.

    submitted by /u/tequila_mockingbirds
    [link] [comments]

    Weird multi-state auto insurance question...

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 11:00 PM PDT

    I have two addresses (weird situation with storage accessibility + work), one in New Jersey and one in Massachusetts, I also have a vehicle primarily used in the summer months in MA, but stored/garaged often in NJ. I am a Massachusetts resident and work/live in MA.

    I am wondering if it would be a problem to register/plate the car as a NJ car, as it is garaged/stored there from ~October to April, but is driven around and used in MA for the remainder of months. Would I be able to insure it under the same policy as my other car which is in MA year round? Is this a problem legally with MA police? I also know MA/NJ have different laws regarding tint/exhaust/etc and would I be in violation in MA for having NJ acceptable tint/exhaust/etc?

    Not trying to fraud the Ins Co. out of anything... NJ auto insurance is more expensive if anything!

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/MassachusettsRebel
    [link] [comments]

    Agent canceled my policy by mistake?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 03:20 PM PDT

    I'll start by saying I have emailed my agent and his manager for an explanation in the morning, but I'm anxious so thought I might get some useful advice here in the meantime. I'm in Indiana.

    In July, I sold my house and bought a new one. I purchased a new home policy through my agent with the same company. On Monday of this week, I got an email that my old policy was going to be canceled for nonpayment. I forwarded the email to my agent asking him to clear up whatever happened that caused this policy to not be canceled back in July and get me a refund of the premium.

    Today I get home from a weekend trip and find a check in my mail refunding the premium of my NEW policy that was paid in full for the year. I check the carrier website and it says BOTH policies are canceled.

    What are the potential consequences? As far as I can tell, right now my house is not insured and I'm guessing when he got my email about the old policy, some miscommunication happened between him and the carrier. Are there any questions I should be sure to ask as my agent fixes this?

    submitted by /u/clevername2165
    [link] [comments]

    What do I do in this situation? Dr Charging me as a "cash" patient even though I had coverage and met deductible,

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 02:45 PM PDT

    It's complicated so I'll try to make it as simple as possible.

    1. I'm on my wife's plan and her plan number changed on 12/1/19, but the new number counted for the 2019 insurance year (according to insurance company)
    2. I met my and my family's out of pocket and deductible by 11/19 -- we had a baby at the beginning of that year.
    3. I had a procedure on 12/2/19 that my insurance company said would be 100% covered
    4. Dr's billing office submitted bill and said that I owed somewhere around $700
    5. I asked them to resubmit as I had met my deductible. They did, and the insurance company said I didn't have coverage on 12/2 (they clearly re-submitted with my old information). Dr's office now saying I owe $3500 "as a cash patient"
    6. I called my insurance company who said they needed to do an internal audit, but that I was covered and shouldn't pay
    7. I asked dr's billing office to resubmit. They do. Same $3500 answer. Pay now or be put into collections.
    8. I tell them that I was covered and that I can get them on the phone with an insurance company rep to assure them.
    9. They say they refuse to talk to my insurance company and are giving me ten days to pay or be put in collections.

    I don't owe the money -- and I can't pay $3500 in the next week -- and I doubt my insurance company will get their act together before then.

    Should I try calling the Dr and explain to him what happened? So far his billing office has been really aggressive and threatening.

    EDIT: I'm in California

    submitted by /u/Haunting-Mortgage
    [link] [comments]

    Disputing a Hospital Bill

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 09:00 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    In late September I went to the ER for a leg wound. I fell off my bike and kept pulling out wood pieces/mulch from my open wound that was over 30 days old. I decide to go to the ER because I was positive there was another piece of wood in there. The doctor walks in and I start explaining my situation to him. He laughs at the idea of me mountain biking and asks if I was riding a tricycle.... I then proceed to show him the wood chunks I've been pulling out for the last month and he says "awww, you brought them for show and tell" Then he says, "listen, there is nothing I can do for you" and walks out.

    That was it.

    Now I have a $1050 hospital bill despite not being treated and helped. The CPT code they used is 99283. I filed a complaint with the hospital and spoke with the Emergency Room Director and she agreed that his behavior was out of line.

    I do not feel this bill is justified and would like advice on how to dispute it. Should I call the hospital first? Or my insurance company? Would love to hear any advice you all might have.

    To end the story, the same day after the ER I went to my dermatologist and she pulled the last chunk of mulch out.

    EDIT: FL USA

    submitted by /u/fffabi
    [link] [comments]

    Just a question

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 07:29 PM PDT

    Damage to auto while being repaired. Who is liable? (Florida)

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 04:46 AM PDT

    Had an at-fault accident in another state. Truck is garaged in FL. The truck rolled over during the crash. Accident damage was less than 80% ACV, so insurance is fixing it.

    On the estimate, it was noted that all the engine oil leaked out while the truck was on its side, so an oil change was included. Once the shop changed the oil, they started the truck for the first time since the crash. Once started, The engine (6.7l powerstroke diesel) immediately "ran away" until it blew up. (Google "run-away diesel" if you're not familiar with the term). The shop then called me to let me know what happened, and to expect the truck to be totalled because a replacement powerstroke diesel would put damages well over 80% ACV.

    In my eyes, the motor ran just fine before it went to the shop. Besides the oil leaking out, no damage to engine, or engine bay from the crash. There are procedures and checks to do before starting up a diesel involved in a rollover, for THIS EXACT reason...and its un-clear if these checks were done.

    Who is, or should be liable for a replacement engine? Seems like I'm facing something thats gonna be hard to prove. No word from my adjustor yet.

    submitted by /u/intensity17
    [link] [comments]

    Claims Adjuster Licensing in Illinois

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 07:28 PM PDT

    Wondering if there are any claims adjusters from Illinois in this group. I'm looking for direction on online resources to look into regarding getting your license in the state.

    submitted by /u/maefair319
    [link] [comments]

    Inaccurate “Pre Auth” for Breast Pump

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 01:29 PM PDT

    My healthcare plan allows a pump every 36 months. I had babies 14 months apart. Before my second, I reached out to the pump company and they sent me an email that said "I verified your insurance coverage and you are eligible for a breast pump!"

    I called my coverage and they said they don't pre auth pumps. The pump company must have just verified that my coverage covers them and not that I hadn't already exhausted that benefit. My coverage denied the pump company's claim and the pump company is billing me. Am I ultimately responsible for the pump even if the pump company told me I was eligible?

    This was two years ago. They are haphazardly statementing me and no statement has mentioned collections. I am worried about poking the bear so need to know my responsibility before I decide to follow up.

    submitted by /u/International_Animal
    [link] [comments]

    Can I buy travel insurance as short-term gap coverage health insurance?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 08:42 AM PDT

    I recently just moved to a new state (California) and started my first job out of school. My new job provides health insurance but it doesn't kick in until 11/1. I do not qualify for Medicaid because my annual income is above the threshold but since I JUST started work I also cannot afford purchasing a private insurance plan for one-month at the moment (no paycheck until next week and moving is expensive). My state does not offer short-term coverage health insurance plans. I do not qualify for COBRA since this is my first job. I also do not qualify to be put on my parents' health insurance.

    In a situation like this, am I allowed to purchase travel insurance to function as my emergency health care coverage even though I'm technically not traveling? I am very healthy and don't anticipate needing medical care these next 2 weeks but I just want to be safe in case some sort of emergency should arise. Right now it's looking like a fairly good back-up option to me but not sure if there are any laws and regulations against this. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/agl2006
    [link] [comments]

    New Approach or Walk Away?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 07:00 PM PDT

    Hello all,

    Just some background before I get into my real question, I never studied finance in undergrad and had very low to no interest in the field before/during my internship/employment with one of the top firms. I was GIVEN an internship my junior and senior of college by my uncle, which I took because I had no other opportunities. After seeing the my uncle's and his top client's net worth I realized how lucrative a career I hated could be. Each day consisted of cold calling an endless list of companies and I inevitability became decent at "sales". Before the end of my senior year of college I was offered an FAA position with my uncle's group where I was required to pass the SIE, Series 7, and Series 66. I was warned up front I would get one attempt at the SIE and 7 and 2 max at the 66. Having never studied or really applied myself in school and only putting in real effort at various paid jobs throughout high school and college I was unaware what it would take to pass any of the professional exams.

    I was able to pass the SIE by frantically reading the STC book, taking over 40 full practice exams, and god's gift that is Investopedia. I had no plan before beginning studying, I just showed up and from 8-6 everyday and let my fear that I would fail drive me to not take my eyes off the material. After passing the SIE, my anxiety of failure began to drop and I was told I would become one of two brokers for his top client pending my exam results. I soon started calculating how much I could realistically profit my first year out of college and was almost brought to tears. I spent a majority of high school and college working/applying to internships because I was hell bent on becoming successful/rich, I had thought it would bring me happiness and still do. When I began studying for the 7 I had noticed it covered most the same info it just went a little bit I deeper than the SIE. After passing my first exam I gained a sense of false confidence and really only skimmed the 7 book. I was given almost a month and a half to prepare and failed the 7 by 5 points. I was let go by the firm the following business day. Three months later after reaching out to multiple recruiters and spending 9-5 m-f applying to jobs in marketing/fashion (what I had studied in college) I was unsuccessful at finding a new full time salaried position. A finance recruiter reached out to me and connected me with 3 insurance/finance companies willing to sponsor me for whatever exams I wanted but couldn't offer any guaranteed money. I took a job with an independent bd with mostly insurance based reps. I had no intentions of learning anything my employers taught me because from day one they were pushing me to call everyone in my and my mother's phone book to try to sell them insurance. Oh yeah I passed the life, accident, and health exam before being hired. It was nothing compared to the 7 and I took it way before I was ready, only passing by a point or 2.

    After 6 months at the new firm I had added 3 advisory clients to my boss's book and wrote a few insurance policies for family, friends, and a warm lead. I understand thats not a lot of business for a 6 months but for a majority of the work day I was simply pretending I was calling family/friends and really studying. During this time I was also still on the job hunt in a completely different field and was connecting, emailing, and interviewing with folks in the marketing field but was unsuccessful at landing a job. I was doing 3 things at once and was unsuccessful at all 3 as a result. I had no long term or method to how I was going to achieve my goals, I was simply waking up every day and trying the hardest I could (not much thought, just do). I took the Series 7 twice while at the 2nd firm and I failed with a horribly low score the first try due to an anxiety attack and failed the second time by 4 points. I did pay about $800 in tutor fees before my second attempt but I feel I may have not gotten the full bang for my buck because I only had her review specific questions with my in 1 hour intervals a few weeks leading up to the test. After my second failed exam my firm asked me to resign and I did not push back because I had hated every moment of the career up to that point.

    As of today I have not found a new salaried 9-5 (ish) job that I so desperately desire and still have the idea in the back of my mind that if I were to just pass the 7 and 66 I could return to my uncle's group at my first firm. Almost every other day I receive a LinkedIn message from a new financial services firm about a commission only sales position that could sponsor me for my exams. I KNOW I have the sales skills and work effort to make it in the business if I could just pass the damn tests. While I don't have a genuine love for the industry the dollar amounts I could make per year are so enticing that I cannot simply move on with my life.

    My questions for the readers of this are ...

    Should try again with one of the commission only (primarily insurance based) firms in hopes I have what it takes to hit my sales numbers and pass the 7 & 66 simultaneously?

    If yes how do I prepare for the 7 in terms of study time, tutoring, study material, etc?

    If no and you believe I should leave the finance industry behind for good, please tell me why?

    I have laid nearly everything about post grad career out for you all and I am in need of advice. All and any comments are appreciated. Please excuse my use of commas if I have used them grammatically incorrect. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

    submitted by /u/ANAP_Rocky
    [link] [comments]

    Can you insure a vehicle not registered to you

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 05:55 PM PDT

    I am a insured driver to a truck my mom bought me but after a collision I think it's going to be a salvage title or something like that and they want me to pay the increase of insurance or whatever.

    submitted by /u/Iseesyoubiotch
    [link] [comments]

    Involved in accident where other driver fled scene, denies accident

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 05:23 PM PDT

    Hi,

    Earlier this morning I was involved in a car accident in which a car tried to pass me on the shoulder of an entrance ramp to the highway. The car struck my car on the right side and kept on driving. I immediately pulled over onto the shoulder and called 911 and an officer showed up to gather details (including the suspect license plate).

    An hour later, the same officer called me back and said that while the suspect did admit to being in the area of where the crash occured, he claims he did not hit my vehicle. The officer ended the conversation by saying that the suspect had not yet provided his insurance information.

    Three hours later, the officer called back saying that the suspect ended up providing insurance information and that I will receive it by mail within 3-5 business days.

    I'm not sure what can be done regarding insurance since the suspect denies the accident yet admits being in the area of the accident. There are no witnesses. Can insurance do anything or am I SOL?

    TL;DR Got into a car accident suspect kept driving, I called 911 and officer got in contact with suspect who denies the accident. There are no witnesses. What now?

    EDIT: I live in Pennsylvania

    submitted by /u/Whitegirl211
    [link] [comments]

    Auto insurance said they will cancel my check to repair my vehicle (Florida)

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 11:24 AM PDT

    On September 2 my vehicle was involved in a car accident, the traffic crash report said I wasn't at fault. I later called the at-fault party for repairs for my vehicle but they said that they have to consider if they were at fault them-selfs "Ok?", plus I've had gave them my crash number. Two weeks had gone by and I didn't hear a word from them. The third week I was calling them constantly but the adjuster never called back after I've left my claim number, phone, and name.

    After a week I get a phone call saying from the adjuster "We don't claim liability since both parties cant comes to an agreement on whos at fault". I was in disbelief at what she said because I've had sent them a traffic crash report of the accident. I then told her I've had a dash camera and that the crash is on video. She went silent for a good 30 seconds to a minute, she then tells me to send the video but "we may still not claim to be liable". The very next day they claim liable.

    Around October 1-5 I sent very detailed pictures of my vehicle and mileage to the appraiser. The appraiser did an in-person estimate of my vehicle shortly after. I was sent a check to repair my vehicle around this time also. I get a call on October 16 saying that they are going to cancel the check that they sent me (it was currently in my hands by then) and they are going to total lost my vehicle because the "SHOP" had found additional damages to my vehicle. I've had never took any of my vehicles to any shop before in my life. Then the adjuster gave me two options: I give them the car and they give me the cash value or I take less for a salvage title and possibly try and get a rebuilt title for it. I told them I"ll call them back, they are closed on weekends so I'll have to wait until this Monday to call them back.

    I have a few questions: Do I have an option to not total my car? Can I do anything for them to reconsider? The reason why because I feel that the damage is very little to repair. It had taken me many months of searching to find the vehicle I have. The vehicle was not a common option. As of right now, there is none in the state of Florida listing anywhere. The cash value they are telling me for the vehicle is the same price as the estimate they had given me. Why would any auto insurance company have approved of the repairs for a vehicle if the cost of the repair had exceeded over 100 percent of the cash value based on an estimate? In Florida, a car is considered a total loss at 80 percent value. The adjuster never said anything about the car being total after the estimates and after the check was with me until the last minute. The cash value they had given me for my car is easily half of what I've seen similar examples of my vehicle go for either private or dealer listings. My vehicle had no dents, good paint, and is mechanically sound before and after the accidents.

    Background I'm a mechanic for a good number of years and now currently working as a tech at a dealership, I could have easily fixed the repairs in one day then have it painted by someone else the next day. I've also had driven the car 1200 plus miles since the accident had occurred and it still drives straight and even my headlight still worked. The damage to the vehicle was the passager fender, passager headlight, front bumper, and hood. The car has ZERO frame damage and since the fender, and bumper are plastic, they just broke at the mounts.

    I really feel like this insurance is trying to trick me and are now saying that my vehicle was worthless before the accident. I know I can sell my vehicle right now with damage close to the cash value they had given me

    I have proof of the adjuster saying that my vehicle is at a "shop" and they had found extra damage on my vehicle but I've never had taken my vehicle to any shop. I only had taken my vehicle to and from work.

    submitted by /u/Packrus
    [link] [comments]

    Auto Insurance for a car that mainly sits?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 05:19 PM PDT

    Hello, I was wondering if you guys knew about any companies that offer good rates for a car that I haven't driven since May. The reason being for getting it insured (used to be with Nationwide and paid $125/m) is that I want to start driving it again, but since I'm not commuting anymore I only want to drive it the bare minimum so it doesn't break or something lol... I am looking to possibly sell it by the end of the year since it's such a hassle and It would be *so much cheaper* to just Uber everywhere at this point. (I go out like once a month, twice at most) I'd be driving like 5-20 miles per week tops, or maybe like twice a month just take a small cruise on the freeway and back home.

    Details... it's a 2018 Mazda6, I had 1 improper lane change ticket I paid (forgot when, but maybe early 2020 - my memory is so foggy...) I did have an accident Aug. 19th 2019 (just a minor bump) that I claimed with Nationwide where I was at fault, but I don't think the other person reported it since I never heard about it after it happened, but it was a small scratch on the side, nothing serious. (doubt insurance companies will care that it was very minor though?) It's my first car owned and paid for by myself at 28 yrs old. Got it financed (still paying it) in mid 2019. I'm a total newbie so any tips comments or pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated!

    EDIT: I live in the US, in Virginia to be precise.

    submitted by /u/ZenLeTomson
    [link] [comments]

    Help finding medical insurance while unemployed/not a student

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 05:10 PM PDT

    Hi, I (X21) recently dropped out of college and moved home due to worsening mental health. I have bipolar disorder and PTSD. However. I also just turned 21 and my insurance through Tricare (my father was in the military) expired. To get a new insurance card, I would need proof of being a full time student. I can't prove that because I'm no longer a student. My mother is currently unemployed due to layoff (covid forced the company to downsize) and I'm not working because of relocating/not being able to due to how sick I am. We can't afford to pay out of pocket for me to see the necessary doctors. It's a bad situation where I can't work/be a student without treatment, but can't get treatment without working/being a student. I live in Connecticut and am unsure of what my options are. Where can I start?

    submitted by /u/Virtual-Pomegranate
    [link] [comments]

    Purchased newly renovated home with apparently failing sewage lines. Have has main line snaked 3 times in 6 weeks. 23k quote to repair lines - looking for advice

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 09:31 AM PDT

    Image of job proposal here: https://ibb.co/7CYWym0

    We are located in Columbus, Ohio

    My wife and I bought a house originally built in 1918 but was completely gutted and rebuilt from the studs last year. The main sewage line was not replaced. We have lived in the home for 6 weeks and have had to have the line snaked 3 times. Roto Rooter has given us an estimate to excavate the basement floor and replace the main line under the foundation until it reaches the clay pipes outside the home. The clay pipes outside the home are in good shape according to the technician and his supervisor who were looking at the camera.

    We have home insurance through liberty mutual and pay for the additional sewer water backup policy but are not able to talk with the claims agent until regular business hours and fear the additional policy does not cover the replacement of the main line just any water issue due to backup.

    The estimate is for a total of $23,000 they want to remove all the old piping and put in pvc pipes. Install sump pump and drain bed and run the storm drain line out the backyard to the city storm drain (~75ft).

    Our plumping is technically in proper working order right now after they cleared the line of cast iron debris for the third time.

    Should we look into purchasing an additional utility line warranty so when the drain totally fails it's covered?

    Does anyone have any idea if this is something liberty mutual may cover, or any advice on the best way to get this covered or financed?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Arlowtis
    [link] [comments]

    New College grad looking into an Underwriting Career - any advice welcome and appreciated

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 04:21 PM PDT

    So I'm a new college grad with an Economics degree and 5+ years of property management experience. I'm looking into an Underwriting career and I've been trying to find resources online and a majority of the blog posts/articles seem to direct me to first becoming loan officer/loan processor before becoming an assistant/junior underwriter?

    Unfortunately I don't have prior experience with DU/LP, but I'm willing to take online courses/self-teach with any resources available out there. The only real experience I'd say I have with risk management is my experience in vetting tenants for tenancy. I do everything from screening background checks, proof of employment/pay stubs, previous tenancy history and all of that jazz before I determine whether or not they would be a fitting tenant for the properties. I'm trying to leverage this experience in job applications, but a majority of the entry level job listings say they require years of experience in DU/LP, understanding guidelines, and etc.

    If anyone would spare a few minutes of their time to let me know how I should get started and whether or not my experience as a property manager can really help me place a foot in the door in potential job interviews, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

    (P.S. Looking into getting into commercial loans & I live in Northern California/Bay Area)

    submitted by /u/astronawttt
    [link] [comments]

    Short Term Disability Continuation

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 11:45 AM PDT

    I left my company in August, at which point I was five months pregnant. I had short term disability through them with Cigna to partially cover lost wages during "maternity leave." I am scheduled for a c-section 12/22. My new company also doesn't offer maternity leave and doesn't offer short term disability immediately. Even if they did, I have a preexisting condition. 1) Can I somehow continue my previous coverage 2) Is there a different way to get coverage? 3) Will the delivery being so close to the new year cause an issue or does it potentially change my options?

    submitted by /u/International_Animal
    [link] [comments]

    I (20m) drove my friends (20F) car alone with only a permit (with permission), and scratched another car parking. Will her insurance deny her? New Mexico

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 11:35 AM PDT

    I know I messed up big time, but I'm just looking to assess the damage I've caused. My friend was at work and left her charger at home. I had just gotten off shift so she asked if I could go grab it for her. I think she assumed I had my full license, and I said yes because I was sure nothing bad would happen. Well, I was very wrong, and on my way pulling back in I scraped the back bumper of another car. My friend wasn't mad, and she traded insurance info with the car's owner. The insurance is getting a picture of my license as well as my friends. I guess my question is, will I most likely be on the hook for damages, or will insurance still cover it? I assume my friend will find out regardless that I only have a permit, as she is friends with her insurance agent, and will most likely see in the insurance claim. I screwed up and most likely lost a good friend. Any help with the matter would be much appreciated.

    If this helps I'm 20, Male, and live in New Mexico. My friend is 20 and female.

    submitted by /u/throwaway95375
    [link] [comments]

    Personal property inventory after water damage?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 10:37 AM PDT

    Our house got severely damaged due to broken pipes. I don't know what we should we list in our personal property inventory. For example, our clothes and beds got wet but probably can be salvaged. Do we list those items in our inventory list to be submitted for personal property claim? Thank you very much!

    submitted by /u/Clueless__123
    [link] [comments]

    Underwriters, do you like your job?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 01:34 PM PDT

    Starting an entry-level position in E&S Underwriting. Wanted to hear the thoughts of experienced Commercial Lines Underwriters!

    Also, what are some of the biggest challenges/most annoying things about the role?

    submitted by /u/beastofbang
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment