• Breaking News

    Saturday, October 3, 2020

    Accounting TBH me neither

    Accounting TBH me neither


    TBH me neither

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 12:24 PM PDT

    EBITDAC

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 01:38 AM PDT

    I finally got a full time offer!

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 10:07 AM PDT

    After finishing my undergrad in April 2019, I've finally landed my first full time offer and I've never been more happy/relieved/excited

    submitted by /u/Random486
    [link] [comments]

    An example of what not to put on your LinkedIn profile

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 11:36 PM PDT

    I hate accounting

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 07:11 AM PDT

    I'm now into the eighth year of my career in accounting, half of it spent in public, and the rest in the corporate tax group of a Fortune 500. Currently a Senior Manager of ASC740.

    I fucking hate accounting.

    I get fantasies every day of quitting and spending the next six months living on the Appalachian Trail to recover. I never want to see a financial statement again. I never want to open excel again. And sure as fuck don't ever want to hear about the goddamn 163(j) regs ever again.

    There's no way I can do this for 30 more years.

    submitted by /u/FuckJonHamm
    [link] [comments]

    Perfectly balanced, as all things should be

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 11:37 AM PDT

    How would it impact on my career in tax if I took 6 months off to hike the appalachian trail? And do you think my employer would be mad for asking this?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 07:04 PM PDT

    I would plan to go after the April 15th deadline so I dont burn too many bridges and it would take around 6 months to do the whole thing so I'd be back working in November.

    I know I sound crazy but this is a lifelong dream. I lost someone close to me this year way too early and I realized I need to go for this before I miss my chance.

    I dont know if I want to stay in public accounting forever but its good for now. I will likely have 1-2 busy seasons under my belt as a senior accountant when I plan to go, if that changes anything.

    If they wont let me have the time off, I'll probably just quit to be honest. I understand it would most likely have to be unpaid time off. Would this look bad when I go to apply for new jobs? Do you think my employer/coworkers would be mad at me for asking this?

    submitted by /u/throwawayyy8009
    [link] [comments]

    Applying for masters with low undergrad gpa

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 05:47 PM PDT

    Title. So I graduated with a degree in economics (BA), but only graduated with an overall gpa of 2.97. I have not taken the GRE and am not sure if I can in time to apply to some programs with rolling admission. I also took no accounting classes in college. My mom actually introduced the idea, and I became intrigued after thinking about the options passing the CPA could give me in the future. I am however, planning on taking the necessary pre-enrollment accounting courses at a nearby college so that I will be eligible to enroll in grad school. I am worried that my underwhelming gpa combined with no GRE as of now and fresh out of college (haven't been working), it will be very hard to find a program that will accept me. I know I can succeed in grad school because my final gpa was actually an improvement over what it was at the end of my freshman year. Does anyone have advice on where I should apply? I want to apply to schools on the west coast. So California, Colorado, Washington state, etc... would really appreciate it thanks.

    submitted by /u/Drip_Bayless_5678
    [link] [comments]

    How to get boss to implement internal controls?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 08:38 PM PDT

    As the title states, I want to get my boss to implement some internal controls at the company, I feel like it would be important to do this to reduce the chances of fraud.

    Currently I spend a portion of my week doing accounts payable, and I noticed some glaring weaknesses in the system. I have full access to the bank account as an admin, I can set up vendors with no evidence of their bank details being legitimate, and I am the one who processes the invoices emailed to us.

    I want to approach the boss on fixing these issues, but I am not sure if he wants to divide this work up. I don't want to seem like I am being lazy and avoiding doing a boring aspect of my work, since AP isn't my main job and I noted to him before its boring. What is a good way to bring up these weaknesses to my boss, without appearing to be a lazy bastard?

    submitted by /u/tratini
    [link] [comments]

    Got my first serious job offer for a staff accounting position

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 04:16 PM PDT

    Too bad I'm gonna fail the drug test since it's a staff accountant position at a medical company. And here I thought accountants didn't get drug tested and could do all the black tar heroin they wanted.

    submitted by /u/sirnibs3
    [link] [comments]

    Do ratings matter when you’re interviewing to leave Big4 for industry?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 08:02 PM PDT

    I understand your rating determines your raise/bonus but will future employers know your rating when interviewing with them?

    submitted by /u/pocariz
    [link] [comments]

    Lost all my hopes and fed up with Audit

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 06:27 AM PDT

    Fellow auditors,

    How do you keep your sanity while working in this stressful environment?

    I reached a point where I feel like I do not receive any recognition.

    Clients are super slow with information and the time booked on these jobs is so little.

    I am thorough in my approach. I thought I was adding value to the audit.

    I spent weekends and late nights auditing these entities.

    Last week, a manager told me I am not efficient. She said we just need to get the job done.

    What is the point of just getting a job done?

    I thought quality mattered. Well, I was wrong.

    I know fellow associates and seniors who get the job done much quicker than me. They put so little effort. They just roll forward last year working papers and leave so early. I do not want to comment about the quality of their work. However, they are popular among managers.

    I feel worthless. Why did I put all those hours where they only care about getting it done?

    I have lost all my hopes and I no longer believe in this job.

    I hate myself for caring too much about this job and I had no social life.

    I am about to have a mental breakdown. However, I need to finish my training.

    Any suggestions in maintaing my sanity while completing my training?

    submitted by /u/Negative_Walk_4159
    [link] [comments]

    Recent Grad Worries

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 07:11 PM PDT

    Hi guys. Made this throwaway just to share my feelings and seek advice. I finished my bachelors with a low gpa from a top university and basically no good experience. Initially my plan was to move back to the country I'm originally from and work there but the political situation is terrible there and that's why I have no experience in accounting in Canada (where I am currently). I suffered through severe depression and depersonalization in my third year in university (even failed a course), I felt so demotivated after that. No matter how hard I tried in my fourth year (was able to bring my grades a bit higher in fourth year) it was impossible to bring my gpa to a decent level. No place wants to hire me, I got work at a small business for a while which turned out to be a scam because they never paid me but I did learn a bit about AP and AR. Now I'm working in an admin job for $15an hour, which has nothing do with accounting. Everyday I apply to lots and lots of jobs, and wake up to the same emails "unfortunately we will not be moving forward with your application". I know I have to stay strong because accounting is something I genuinely find interesting, I really want to work hard and prove myself but I want a place to take a chance with me, I know I'm not the ideal candidate and I understand why they would have apprehensions about me (she has no prior experience, grades show lack of dedication, etc etc). But I am so eager to prove myself!

    I guess my questions are, how can I change my strategy to make it more effective? I want to do more than just apply on LinkedIn and keep receiving rejection emails. Does messaging recruiters on LinkedIn actually work? I know everyone says network but I don't have a network that includes people who can help me get a job in accounting and I'm willing to add people but how do I go about it? How can I make myself more appealing to the jobs I've been applying to so that someone takes a chance on me? I'm so desperately hoping for someone to recognize me and give me a chance.

    Any and all advice is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/jamielee37
    [link] [comments]

    [Serious] Anyone regret waiting to manager to leave public?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 01:49 PM PDT

    For the longest time, it seemed the ideal "goal" pushed here on /r/accounting was to stick it out to manager before making the jump to industry; the extra few years opening up a lot more opportunities. Lately, I've seen a few posters mention that this approach isn't all the beneficial.

    I think I have it in me to stick it out a few years yet, but if putting in a few years of manager isn't going to open more opportunities, I might reconsidered. I've also noticed a few classmates leave as manager only to end up in a senior accountant / analysis position.

    Soooo... has anyone here regretted waiting until manager to jump ship?

    submitted by /u/blackvariant
    [link] [comments]

    Education path for accounting, Canada

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 06:44 PM PDT

    Hey sorry if this is a common question. If there's already a post or source or something please feel free to redirect me.

    I'm finishing my second year of my bcomm at a run of the mill university in Canada. Known a little bit for its business programs but in general is definitely not elite or whatever. Decided to major in accounting, just wondering what the best way to go about starting a career is. Right now only have a 3.0 GPA but am working to be an A student for this semester and my third and fourth year with improvements.

    I'm able to focus on school for now and won't have to worry too much about paying big bills as long as I'm in school. Getting a masters? Going straight to a CPA with extra classes to hit the 150 credit requirement? As far as continuing education after my undergrad are there other options rather than a CPA?

    I've been told that I should get some intern or summer experience before graduating so I was going to try and get one for next summer.

    Any advice would help! Thanks

    submitted by /u/acnmlpotevnea52577
    [link] [comments]

    PwC Start Summer Internship - NJ

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 06:36 PM PDT

    After submitting my application I was selected for an interview in a few weeks. What are my chances of getting this internship? What I mean is, do I have to ace the interview to get the internship, or if I do reasonably well, I'll get an offer? Really hoping I get in cause I've read that this likely leads to another internship offer and eventually, a full-time offer.

    submitted by /u/nk3623
    [link] [comments]

    Public Counter Offer vs Industry

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 06:35 PM PDT

    I was hired on as an experienced hire at the senior associate level for a regional CPA firm (just outside the top 50) to do audits of financial institutions. I am coming up on my two year work anniversary. This past year has been pretty brutal with supervisor turnover, understaffing on jobs, and the volume of clients we have worked on. A recruiter reached out to me about a senior accountant role for 75K. I ended up getting the offer and when I turned in my notice to my manager he seemed pretty upset. Later the next day the partner called asking for feedback and if I would be interested to hear their "plan" for me. During this discussion he mentioned that they had initially projected the practice group for 7% loss but we ended up having growth of 10% which lead to us being understaffed and the previous year wouldn't be the norm. He then went on to explain they could offer 70k effectively immediately and I would be part of the group of seniors moved up to supervisor around November plus the EOY bonus. All that being said I guess my question are:

    1) Is it worth it to stay to get in-charge experience? I would say end goal for my career would be Controller/CFO role.

    2) In your experience would management resent me for bringing the offer and essentially forcing their hands?

    Sorry for rambling I am just really struggling with this decision and looking for some additional input.

    submitted by /u/Careeradvice4111
    [link] [comments]

    Got lowballed on an offer, looking for advice

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 04:12 PM PDT

    I'm 3 years into a national public firm with a year of senior under my belt and am desperate to leave before busy season.

    I've been job hunting for a few months now and finally got an offer for a fund accountant position. The firm seems like it has a great culture and the accounting group has experienced very little turnover and generally seems like a solid place to work.

    But as the title suggests, they really lowballed me on the offer which caught me off guard. The base offer is 10k lower than the range they had given my recruiter and the base offer is equal to my current salary, however, the bonus is great.

    I'm going to try to negotiate the base salary higher...but would I be an idiot for accepting this offer? Experiencing another busy season sounds like a nightmare. I'm looking for any sort of advice or guidance.

    submitted by /u/EoE99
    [link] [comments]

    First accounting job?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 09:10 AM PDT

    Where did you first dip your toes in the water

    submitted by /u/Jagmeetoff
    [link] [comments]

    [US] Quitting before versus after busy season as a Senior.

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 09:29 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I have been an audit staff for two years and am up for a senior promotion in December. I have solid performance reviews and great connections with the managers who I regularly work with and as such I'm fairly confident that I'll get the promotion. However, I'm quite burned out on audit and the thought of another busy season is honestly terrifying.

    Our firm delayed new hire start dates until 1/15 and our firm has had a lot of turnover at senior in the past two months. I think that this will manifest into a busy season where we're short on in-charges coupled with brand new A1s and an underdeveloped A2 class (due to the fact that they have been remote for most of their time with the firm). This upcoming busy sounds horrible and I just don't know if my mental health can take it.

    My plan is to leave the firm as a senior. Would it be a bad look for industry recruiters for me to basically get my senior title in December and then leave the firm in January? My thought process is that I'll be leaving as a senior no matter what so why should I suffer through another busy season if I'm just going to leave right after.

    Any insight here is appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/sunscreenmonster
    [link] [comments]

    Hiring - Regional

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 09:15 PM PDT

    Im not sure if this is allowed so if it's not I apologize, and will remove.

    My firm is hiring in the midst of all this for all service lines - especially staff and seniors. I wanted to post here if anyone is interested or looking. Happy to discuss my experiences or any questions.

    It is a regional firm with offices in big cities in the Midwest.

    submitted by /u/HellisTheCPA
    [link] [comments]

    If an S-Corp were to dissolve and the final 1120-S return and W-2 forms were to be filed, is it better to file the current year's 1120-S and W-2 or wait to do it next year's forms?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2020 09:05 PM PDT

    My supervisor at my accounting internship asked me to research this, and I can't seem to find any answers online. May be a stupid question, but any help or input is greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/rml1998
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment