• Breaking News

    Monday, October 5, 2020

    Accounting My brain during a meeting

    Accounting My brain during a meeting


    My brain during a meeting

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 12:24 PM PDT

    Help, my new team is full of workaholics

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 05:14 AM PDT

    This will sound like a shitpost, but it's really not. Also, not meant for you public peeps who love to work your lives away.

    I work for a large F100 in corporate accounting. I just joined a new group and these people seem totally fine with working all hours of the day and were happy to work a full day on Saturday. They "work hard and play hard," whatever that means.

    My old group was far more interested in family life. We did our work, but my bosses and I all actively tried to work as little as possible. It was healthy and how it should be. I really just need to make it through until we get bonuses in 2021. I planned on looking for a new job after that any way.

    I'm just curious, at what point can I stop pretending I'm okay with being online all the time (I'm really just twiddling my thumbs most of the time and just online to make it seem like I'm working or available?)? There's really no amount of money that I'd take to work 6-7 days a week. It's not worth it, even for "career progression."

    submitted by /u/idkmanijdk
    [link] [comments]

    Rant: firms really need to stop misleading college grads into "risk consulting"

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 11:46 AM PDT

    I've seen this way too many times: a college student hears that audit has long hours, requires eventually passing CPA, and is "boring".

    So someone says "hoW aBouT RisK aDvISorY". They see all the buzzwords: consulting, value-add, performance improvement. So they apply and get the job...and don't really know what they do. BUT ITS CONSULTING, SO IT MUST BE BADASS RIGHT?

    Here's a description that I pulled off a job listing:

    • Performing detailed analysis to identify and assess compliance or opportunities for improvement, documenting conclusions, and providing recommendations in the form of high-quality deliverables
    • Utilizing and continuously learning new technologies to collaborate with team members and enhance service delivery to ensure value-add for our clients
    • Utilizing various data collection techniques, selecting appropriate method and prioritization to fit project objectives and deliverables, and applying established analytical models to evaluate data, costs and benefits

    Were the words "test internal controls" mentioned even once? Because that is what most risk consultants will be doing all day (yes, I know not all of them, but a good majority of them). Then they wonder why their only exit opp out of B4 is more internal/IT audit

    Don't get me wrong. It's a solid career path and it pays well, along with its own benefits like a less busy busy season. But firms need to stop with the overly flowery language since it creates false expectations of what the job really entails

    submitted by /u/FirefighterOk6140
    [link] [comments]

    Spreadsheet Nightmare

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 06:22 AM PDT

    Last night I smoked a bowl before bed to help me sleep through the night. I don't smoke a lot, so it hit me pretty good. Around midnight, I sat straight up in bed, gasping for air and freaking out. I'd been dreaming that I was calculating a bank's asset growth and their growth rates in commercial real estate were so high that my conditional formatting was flagging everything in the spreadsheet. I need a vacation or some different weed.

    submitted by /u/salamanda_123
    [link] [comments]

    What's been your biggest fuck up at work to date?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 08:08 PM PDT

    Just wanted to read about other people's mess ups so I don't feel as bad

    submitted by /u/marrymeodell
    [link] [comments]

    Is anyone else considering leaving their firm due to no raises/VC this year?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 04:01 PM PDT

    Just curious - as the title states is anyone considering this?

    First and foremost, yes, I am thankful that I still have a job and I feel for my coworkers that were let go as part of the layoffs that have happened over the last few months. I know that some here will find this post insensitive, but we need to move forward at some point. However...

    Most of the people I know that were let go were already on PIPs or had bad feedback. I had a very strong year and was told that, after a lackluster raise last year due to factors that I'm still not sure about, that this year it would be made up and other achievements that I completed would also be recognized. Few like I worked really hard this year and did a great job, and I'll get 0 reward.

    Further, we have been told over the last few days "raises next year will be there and you will get what you deserve." I'm having trouble finding this to be a credible statement. My team beat plan this year yet we still get nothing. What happens if we run into a similar issue next year and are held down by the rest of the firm? How can they just predict the future like that?

    I will be going on 2 years of being significantly underpaid. Are they going to make that up to me? How do I know that sitting tight for a whole year will pay off for me in the end? Just curious to get everyone's thoughts

    submitted by /u/eyestrikerbaby
    [link] [comments]

    Not extremely ambitious, dont care about my job title, just want a 9-5 making reasonable money. What is the best path?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 08:46 AM PDT

    I'm a first year accounting major and it seems like there are so many options. Audit vs tax, public vs industry, big 4 vs mid sized vs small firms, CPA vs No CPA. It seems like a lot of people in the field are really passionate about progressing in their careers, wanting to get into top schools, work for big 4, exit into a f500 company, etc.

    I dont give a shit about any of this, I just want to make enough to pay for my weed, my bills, and still have enough left over to live comfortably and save. I work 60 hours a week on top of a full class load, so I know how shitty not having any work/life balance is, and the whole point of going to university for me is to not have that issue anymore.

    The issue is, I'm getting the impression that big 4 is expected, that 40 hour work weeks are rare as unicorns, and that you have to start in public to get anywhere. I want nothing to do with the big 4 companies because I've how shitty the work/life balance is, and I'm not willing to sacrifice my youth to get a pretty line on my resume and a pay bump. I honestly dont care where I work, as long as I have to show up at 9 and be home by 5. I dont care about the prestige of my job, or even really how much money I make as long as it's a comfortable amount.

    Edit: thanks everybody for all of the responses! Everybody is very helpful here.

    submitted by /u/RestlessAsTheWind
    [link] [comments]

    Law school for a tax career?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 08:51 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, I'm new here but had a question about career paths. I'm in my 3rd year of college right now and am exploring between audit and tax still. I'm in tax this semester and so far am enjoying it. I was curious if one would need to go to law school to advance in that career or if a CPA would suffice? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Count_Dawg
    [link] [comments]

    Poor internal controls allow employee to steal >$1.3m in toner from Austin Public Library

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 07:45 PM PDT

    [Can] Anyone feel like they cannot get ahead with a career in accounting

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 10:01 PM PDT

    The financial pressure is crushing me, 4 years of post secondary education and we are luck to get a mid 40s starting salary in job markets with 1.2 million dollar homes. Paying rent on that salary is tough enough before you factor in student loans. Then on top of that we need to complete one of the world's most difficult CPA programs. This was alright in the past when firm would reward you with a 60k salary for all that effort. Since COVID it seems we are luck to be in the 50s after getting designated.

    Even industry jobs seem to be paying like shit recently while living expenses have exploded in price. At my firm starting wages have risen 5k in the last 10 years while cost of living has doubled and the difficulty to make partner has risen significantly.

    submitted by /u/canpekingszechau
    [link] [comments]

    Post 2nd year senior burnout

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 07:53 PM PDT

    I'm wrapping up my second year of senior work and did not get an early promotion despite having utilization over my peers and also managing a couple projects.

    On one such project I rolled off and they replaced my spot with a second year manager and gave her a first year senior to assist as well.

    Obviously want to try and make it to manager, but the lack of raises and no promo after COVID is pretty frustrating. I find myself procrastinating a ton and honestly don't even really care if they fire me. I've been applying to manager level roles for the last couple months but am concerned about the job market and haven't been extended any offers.

    For those in public accounting that have been here... how do you push through and do your S3 busy season if you absolutely hate your job?

    submitted by /u/InHoc12
    [link] [comments]

    How to break 6 figures as an accountant...

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 04:54 PM PDT

    How long would it take to break $100,000 post designation in Canada.

    All replies are appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Arrmaaniiii
    [link] [comments]

    Should I add my first degree and education abroad on my resume even if it has nothing to do with Accounting?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 01:27 PM PDT

    Currently an accounting student getting 2nd BS in Accounting at a target state school. My first degree has nothing to do with accounting but I went to a top 10 public university. I studied abroad for a year doing field research in Africa and won a Fulbright Scholarship to do research in Cuba. Meet the firms coming up. I was wondering if I add this to my resume it would make me stand out and serve as a talking point. Yay or nay?

    submitted by /u/beatnikbabe21
    [link] [comments]

    [Serious] Would you still recommend Big 4 to someone with existing mental health issues

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 07:20 PM PDT

    I've struggled with severe depression and anxiety pretty much my entire life. I would lie to say I am good at coping with stress. I see how people on here talk about how they were normal happy people and getting destroyed by working at the Big 4 and it scares me because my mental health is already shit before doing all that and frankly I'm afraid I can't handle it.

    I understand I would be throwing away a huge opportunity that many people would kill to have which is why I'm so conflicted. I have an industry offer for a pre approved CPA program where I know my mental health would be a lot better but my career progression most likely won't be quick if I go to big 4.

    Tell me, should I suck it up and suffer for the next 3 years in public even though I'm scared I won't have the strength to go through (I'm terrified of rejecting the industry offer and I later have to quit as only a staff in public because of my mental health)

    submitted by /u/zxx456
    [link] [comments]

    Family office gone wrong. Need help on the next move.

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 02:12 PM PDT

    Tax nerd here with 3.5 years experience. Was in a public gig that I was pretty happy with (as much as one can get in public, hah). Hours were manageable, I was getting the hang of my work, receiving excellent comments and was on promotion track.

    Unfortunately, with Covid went my job. Was laid off for a few months and was super grateful to land a family office gig doing taxes. Pay was/is sweet, benefits are all right.

    HOWEVER unfortunately, I have even less work life balance here than I ever did in my public career. The expectations to work 7 days a week, "as much as possible" is killing me. Our department is understaffed and my manager is way too busy to be of any help answering any questions. The work is also so complex that I don't even know what questions to ask. I had to take a job though to keep my family afloat during these crazy af times.

    But I can't keep working 70-80 hours a week as a wife and mom, and receive side comments for wanting to take Sundays off to buy groceries and prepare for the week.

    I want to leave and I'm afraid to even stay in tax due to the deadline pressures at this point. No CPA yet (another thing lost to Covid, couldn't spend the money on exams), what should I be looking for in industry/private jobs, or tax analyst jobs? How do I start? What do I look for?

    ETA: when I interviewed for the family office I made it clear I needed work life balance and was told that we never did more than 55 hours or so. Found out from others not in the department that the hours I'm doing are "normal" for this tax dept.

    submitted by /u/L_Reading
    [link] [comments]

    Become an accountant they said...

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 03:46 PM PDT

    Can someone please explain the choice C? I can’t get my head around it. “that present the F/S within a range of acceptable limits”

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 06:20 PM PDT

    When Lawyers Look up Tax Laws for the views, they make some insane assumptions...

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 12:40 PM PDT

    MA CPA Licensing Timeframe

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 05:42 PM PDT

    Hi All --

    Anyone else waiting for the State Board to process their CPA licensing application? I've passed all my exams, submitted my application to the state back in April 2020, now here it is October and application status is still "Under Review." I'm in Massachusetts.

    Called multiple times to try to get an update but alas no response. Anyone else in the same situation? Is this timing to be expected?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/fromchmm
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth it to work in a different big 4?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 09:49 AM PDT

    Another big 4 just reached out to me. I wanted audit exposure to different client industry and it was impossible for me to switch industry lines in my current firm. Problem is my resume looks horrible that I hold each job for 1 or less than 1 years throughout college to now.

    I'm very hesitant to add another short term work experience because I would want to exit public anyways mid next year anyway. But I wanted some experience from a different client industry so it's easier to make the jump. Would you recommend?

    submitted by /u/Xxxxxam
    [link] [comments]

    Salary progression local CPA firm

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 03:41 PM PDT

    This sub seems to focus on discussing B4 salary progression, but local firms are left out. I am talking like still a top 100 firm but the office only has like 5 partners that all actually review work papers and have bill rates of like $250. Can anybody on here discuss salary progression for a local firm? Like we still have a handful of $500 1040 only clients; big tax return clients are like 5k. Revenue per partner is prob like a million bucks. This is a low cost of living area.

    I am starting to have buyers remorse in a way from leaving my big 10 staff job. At the time leaving for the local firm was like a 30% pay bump. Management at my old firm tried to talk me out of it saying "you will be sacrificing compensation long term at the manager and partner level." I have been thinking about that a lot lately; like I don't want to be mid career not making much at all relative to my old peers. I probably would not have been promoted at the old job however and can only imagine really moving up at a local company.

    People on here might say comparing local firms is like comparing apples and oranges, however if across all markets and service lines for B4 there are probably 200+ offices that are B4 so all of these comparisons could be somewhat inaccurate anyway.

    submitted by /u/hiking-travel-coffee
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone worked in Japanese or Korean (or any other) practice at Big4 firms?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 03:38 PM PDT

    I have an interview coming up (tax) so I wanted to find out more about the job, but I couldn't find much online.

    submitted by /u/deritosmi
    [link] [comments]

    Update: Placed on a PIP but Job Offer in mailbox right now.

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 04:57 PM PDT

    Was placed on a PIP few weeks ago, now i'm staring my new job offer in the mailbox. What the correct play here. Currently at a public company do I offer to stay till we file the 10-Q or just give my standard two weeks?

    I have a bonus with a claw-back provision which makes me want to negotiate to not pay it if I stay till we file, but at the same time wouldn't care if they term me on the spot.

    Also I just want to say PIP are fucking shitty, learn to manage and give feedback timely and actually set people up for success. Don't fucking flip flop and tell me i'm doing fine and then serve me a PIP out of fucking nowhere with asinine reasoning.

    submitted by /u/hsidbjakoxj
    [link] [comments]

    Income tax return filing Consultants

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 10:36 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment