• Breaking News

    Wednesday, September 30, 2020

    Really sad. Got criticized for the home I’m buying. Real Estate

    Really sad. Got criticized for the home I’m buying. Real Estate


    Really sad. Got criticized for the home I’m buying.

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 09:04 PM PDT

    I'm buying a new townhome and it's 3 bd/3ba, in a cul de sac and it's got a nice yard and a two car garage. In the area that I love very close to my family too.

    My area is extremely high priced and this was within my budget. I'm tired of paying rent for a tiny apartment in a sketchy part of town. So I proudly told my friend that I'm gonna be a home owner. This will be a starter home to finally build equity. I've worked two jobs to achieve this dream.

    My friends said that I'm wasting my money buying a townhome and that it's just a big apartment and that I'm making a horrible decision. The thing is, all the other Starter homes In my area are fixer uppers or in a bad part of town. These friends also still rent and live in tiny apartments.

    I was so proud but now feeling defeated. I should still be proud to own my own home even though it shares one wall, right?

    submitted by /u/jaellys
    [link] [comments]

    Finally no more wondering what I’m going to do when the lease is up!

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 03:26 PM PDT

    Finally becoming a home owner this year (closed back in May) the one thing that is so satisfying is no longer wondering what I'm going to do when my lease is up! Got so tired of year after year, ok am I going to move to a different apartment or what? You knew they were going to jack the prices up each year for no reason. Being able to settle down, actually set up my home how I want it, not worry about my price increasing, accumulation of equity rather than flushing money down the toilet. This is all so refreshing!

    submitted by /u/upyourz55
    [link] [comments]

    What's up with all the townhomes?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 06:30 AM PDT

    I live in the suburbs of a major US city and it seems that there are so many townhomes for sale. and not too much else that I would bother looking at. It's not like my budget is super low either. I'm looking for <$500k, but I'm seeing lots of townhomes between $400-500k.

    Is this a generational shift that is happening in real estate? I know many people my age probably like the convenience of townhomes because they don't have to worry about lawn maintenance and snow removal (if you're in a cold-weather winter climate). I'm 26 but want nothing more than a decent-sized yard for my dog to play in and a bit of space to just relax so it's tough for me to find something. Not crazy about sharing walls with other people (been there, done that in college).

    EDIT: edited to reflect that it's not that I'm not seeing some nice single family homes that I like within my budget, just was surprised by how many townhomes I'm seeing and how expensive they are. Also surprised by how big they are! The house I grew up in is about 2350 sq. ft. and it felt huge, I'm now seeing townhomes that are 2500 sq. ft. Just skinnier and taller I guess haha

    submitted by /u/WildTomorrow
    [link] [comments]

    Signed a rental lease for a house. Now I'm being told the property cannot be rented out. What can I do?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 12:46 PM PDT

    My friend and I moved from California to Missouri this past weekend. We signed a lease, and gave them a check for first months rent/deposit. Everything has seemed legitimate as far as renting a property goes.

    We got here over the weekend and were told by the landlord's agent that we had to go to our City Hall and get an occupancy permit on Monday. We went there and we were told by the Permit Clerk that this property we are at cannot be a rental property. She said that we needed to have the property owner call her. We spoke to the landlord's agent and after she looked up some stuff she concluded it was because the owner didn't get a "landlord license" and he would get it done asap to fix this.

    Today we're now being told that this area has a 30% rule where no more than 30% of properties per block can be rental properties and that we may have to move. I love this house and absolutely do not want to move again. My friend and I both picked up everything we have, and drove 1,800 miles to start a new life here.

    Any advice regarding rental properties or any legal action we should take would be really helpful and appreciated. I'll be here to answer any questions anyone may have. Thanks.

    Edit: also posting this is r/legaladvice

    submitted by /u/Kriptonyte
    [link] [comments]

    "High Value" Home Inspection. Anyone familiar with this?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 06:36 PM PDT

    Hello, home inspector here from a small province in Canada. Our market is very hot right now and house values are sky rocketing.

    I got a phone call from someone from outside the province looking to purchase a $1.2 million dollar home.

    It's roughly 5500 sq/ft, several out buildings, indoor and outdoor pools, large hot tub, theater room, two kitchens etc etc etc.

    It's much bigger and much more elaborate than I'm use to dealing with and the buyer wanted to know if I offered "High Value" real estate inspections. I should ad this will be a private sale with no real estate agents involved.

    From what I'm reading a high value inspection is similar to a commercial inspection, which I'm use to, where I'd sub contract various trades to inspect various parts of the house. I.E. a pool guy, roofer, electrician and so on.

    Is this typical? Is this common in higher value cities? It's rare to see anything sell for more than $500k in my area. Any insight would be greatly appreciated as it seems like this isn't a service offered in my area and I'd like to help this client out.

    submitted by /u/ThermalTechHS
    [link] [comments]

    Clear to Close!

    Posted: 30 Sep 2020 03:59 AM PDT

    OMFG, It is actually happening! After 3 years of looking and building credit, 2 months of looking followed by 3 months of waiting due to COVID followed by another 3 months of looking. Found our dream home, got it at a reasonable price, and finally have a date and time set to close!

    Best part? It is vacant so should get to move right in!

    Someone pinch me I am dreaming!

    submitted by /u/Mister_JayB
    [link] [comments]

    Poop fountain

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 03:10 PM PDT

    Hey guys, FTHO here just closed on a new construction 11 days ago. After I flushed today's "morning glory" I was greeted by a geyser of human poo! I did everything I could to contain the backup inside the bathroom but some inevitably got into the carpet and closet outside the poo room. After cleaning what I could, I called the builder who called an emergency plumber. The plumber shows up, removes toilet, scopes pipes and finds/clears soft blockage. Wanting to be thorough he starts scoping other drains in the house until he finds a second blockage in the pipes from the garage. He pulls out a rag and some plastic (obviously from construction) and says he'll report it as such. The builder was informed if the cause and agreed to fix the damage to the home. Assessor comes though and reports water damage to the flooring and some of the drywall. The builder assured us he is having a crew come over tomorrow to start the rehab.

    Is there anything I should do to make sure all goes well? Open to hearing what you think about the situation.

    Location: Ca

    submitted by /u/i_camb
    [link] [comments]

    Property in Central FL- Need help in finding driven realtor to facilitate home sale for parents

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 11:40 PM PDT

    My parents (80M+70F) have a property in central FL <15 miles from Disney World and they are looking to put their home on the market in the near future. I'm hoping to find a few realtors to tour the property and see what my folks options are. My husband and I have sold a couple properties before in a totally different part of the country, but parents and their property is a whole different ballgame. Are there any specific things that I should look for? Questions to ask? Any other suggestions?

    Ideal situation is someone driven, technologically competent, and able to handle a sale from afar. My husband and my sales have been facilitated by a personal reference/friend, so we are at a loss with a property that resides clear across the country! Thanks for any help and suggestions you can provide. Personal anecdotes welcome! Just trying to help out my parents!

    submitted by /u/USS_SMEGMA
    [link] [comments]

    Should I shop around for better rate

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 06:22 PM PDT

    We are locked in at 2.99 with 5% down on an offer letter mortgage and now that I'm looking around on here I'm seeing people with much better rates.. not sure if I should be looking around at lenders again or ride with the 2.99 we have.. 30 year, conventional, in Northern California

    submitted by /u/Giant-slayer-99
    [link] [comments]

    What type of loan do I need for purchase and renovation?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 08:39 PM PDT

    I've been searching around and I'm not sure the type of loan I need exists. I am planning on buying a home from my parents for the existing remaining mortgage of $150k but I also want to renovate it to add a second floor which will run about $450k on average. How do I fund all of this? Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/GeeRodreezy
    [link] [comments]

    (NC) Is it even possible to negotiate after paying a high due diligence fee?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 10:38 PM PDT

    I am in NC - where currently in order to have any offer considered, you need to put a (non-refundable) high due diligence.

    Our offer has been accepted, and now we are on to the inspections - but unless something major comes up, do we have any negotiation power what-so-ever? (and even if something major comes up, seller could refuse to negotiate and we'd be out several thousand dollars! tough game for buyers right now...)

    Anyone been successful in doing so? Please share your pointers!

    submitted by /u/housedreamin
    [link] [comments]

    [Help] Do the Plans come with the Lot?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2020 02:08 AM PDT

    I've rented for years and I finally want to buy/build a home. I was looking on Zillow/Trulia/Redfin etc. and I stumbled upon a lot that already has plans for it? (At a relatively good price for the area it is in)

    In the pictures for the lot, there's the 3D Rendition of the building and I even went on the real estate website to look further into it. There's drawn up plans, the whole 9 yards, you get the point. If I purchase the lot am I also buying those plans? Or do I need to purchase the lot, and put a down payment on the plans. I assume it's the latter but, I was generally curious. I know how regular home buying works, but lots are different for me. The plans are gorgeous and I am honestly considering it, just want to know what I would be getting into though!

    submitted by /u/JustSomeSmolBean
    [link] [comments]

    Mortgage rates

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 05:21 PM PDT

    My wife and I are closing on Thursday after being under contract for over 90 days. We're very excited to say the least. We locked our rate fairly early in the process at 2.875 for a conventional loan with no points. I know at the time there was a lot of talk about rates going lower so I'm curious to see what people are getting now and if it was the right move to lock in at that rate back in July.

    submitted by /u/SWS55
    [link] [comments]

    Can we still close? [OHIO]

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 12:56 PM PDT

    We are set to close 10/2. We just found out this morning the seller has passed from COVID complications last night. My realtor is still looking into everything, but I can't wait. Has anyone has this happen? The seller has a son, is he able to act in place to close the deal? What do I do about the mortgage? I feel for the family but I'm certainly very confused and anxious.

    submitted by /u/covidhouseproblems
    [link] [comments]

    [Help] how do I find out who owns a particular property if I have the address?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2020 12:18 AM PDT

    I have the address and would like to talk to the owner. It may actually be the previous owner of the property. They had some property on the land that I was talking to them about and I lost their contact because the app we were communicating through was dissolved and I live across the country.

    I was looking into all these sites that were talking about charging me like $1.25 for a record, but giving my credit card info seemed sketchy.

    Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/thesupersoap33
    [link] [comments]

    Low appraisal via desktop and asking for a full appraisal?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 04:42 PM PDT

    Long story short, appraisal came in low by 20k and after negotiating with sellers we agreed to split the difference. We have asked our lender to do a full appraisal, not just a "desktop" appraisal. Is there any likelihood we will get a higher appraisal? Desktop appraisal used old data, comps that aren't apples to apples in home size and the terrible photo from the sellers realtor, which did not feature the entire home. Oceanside CA in Rancho del oro, great school district and location. Any input is welcome! Thank you

    submitted by /u/hotburnedpork
    [link] [comments]

    Examples of commercial properties turned residential?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 11:11 AM PDT

    I'm fascinated by large commercial properties that people have bought (generally in towns past their prime) and turned into personal housing. Does anyone know how to find examples of this being done? Any subreddits or communities I should look into?

    submitted by /u/Ninjinka
    [link] [comments]

    Buy ~100k condo in Bridgeport CT

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 05:11 PM PDT

    Currently living in Manhattan and paying 3900/month in rent. Was thinking about buying a cheap condo (e.g. https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/325-Lafayette-St-Unit-3202_Bridgeport_CT_06604_M44569-08970?view=qv ) with cash and recouping the sum within a year because of the fact that I will be remote working for the next 12 months. Does this make sense? Looking to move back to Europe so not keen on dropping much more than 100k which makes my options limited.

    What are your thoughts? Thank you.

    submitted by /u/SicilianBull
    [link] [comments]

    Any tips on winning over the real estate/vendors?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 10:40 PM PDT

    My partner and I inspected our dream home yesterday and we absolutely loved it. We can offer the max price they're asking for if need be, but we found out today that they're having 42 other people go through the property before the end of the week, which is when we can submit our offer.

    We are desperate to get out of our current situation and we love the house. Are there any tips or anything anyone has for when we submit our offer to stand out more than anyone else?

    Any help is appreciated

    submitted by /u/immaculate_
    [link] [comments]

    What is the strategy for selling a home in a hot market during the pandemic?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 04:27 PM PDT

    I am in an extremely hot market. Before the pandemic the general strategy was to list mid week, open houses on the weekend, pending by Tuesday. Usually with multiple offers.

    Now my state basically killed open houses for the foreseeable future. Has this changed the strategy at all? Houses still sell in a couple of days here. I have no idea if they have multiple offers anymore. It seems the weekend open houses really fueled that.

    submitted by /u/SillyMeSea
    [link] [comments]

    Realtor underpricing home [Can]

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 10:10 PM PDT

    We are looking to sell our duplex that we have lived in for five years. The previous owner bought it new and lived there for three years, so it is eight years old. Our property tax assessment was $346,000, we originally paid $355,000 but we knew the housing market was dropping. However, our realtor provided comparable home sales from the past few months and thinks we will only get about $320,000. We are listing for $329,000. When I look at current sales, comparables are more around $334,900, and anything under $330,000 is either much smaller or doesn't have a garage. There are even townhouses that are listed for more than our price. My question is, should you always base your list price on prior comparables? Does it seem like we are listing too low? The only upgrades we have made were to plant a tree and several shrubs in the front yard, and to install air conditioning. No damage or issues with the house.

    submitted by /u/clarinetgeek
    [link] [comments]

    Closing tomorrow, attorney and real estate agent not attending due to COVID policies

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 09:48 PM PDT

    Does anyone have experience with this situation? My attorney and real estate agent opted not to attend the closing due to COVID policies that allow them to skip closings. I will still be able to communicate with the attorney through email or phone so he can review the documents. I am a first time homebuyer and kind of nervous about this, not sure what to expect at all. Are the attorney and agent really necessary at closing? Anything I should look out for since I will be on my own?

    submitted by /u/plasticblowfish
    [link] [comments]

    Suppose to Close Thursday AM. My broker just told me there may be a title issue.

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 09:34 PM PDT

    I am suppose to close on Thursday AM. I've taken my day off. Started organizing my move and all and yet I haven't heard about a final walk-through from my broker.

    After asking him for 3 days what time what time, tonight he said that my lawyer is working through a title issue that came up. I emailed my lawyer just now bc no one's told me anything. I'm hoping for some clarification.

    Is this normal? Has anyone run into this at the last minute? Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Z0diaQ
    [link] [comments]

    Buying from my landlord: help

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 09:11 PM PDT

    Hi guys,

    My landlord is looking to sell the property my wife and I live in and has given us the option to make an offer before it goes on the market.

    I know he wouldn't make this offer if it wasnt convenient for him. I know he won't have to pay estate fees or do the little fixes to make the house look pretty before selling.

    I want to quantify the amount he saves by selling to tenants over sale through an agent, or some other private sale.

    What else is there to think about here?

    We live in NZ, that's likely important.

    submitted by /u/IncredibleTeacherMan
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment