• Breaking News

    Monday, June 3, 2019

    Personal Finance Weekday Help and Victory Thread for the week of June 03, 2019

    Personal Finance Weekday Help and Victory Thread for the week of June 03, 2019


    Weekday Help and Victory Thread for the week of June 03, 2019

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 04:07 AM PDT

    If you need help, please check the PF Wiki to see if your question might be answered there.

    This thread is for personal finance questions, discussions, and sharing your success stories:

    1. Please make a top-level comment if you want to ask a question! Also, please don't downvote "moronic" questions! If you have not received your answer within 24 hours, please feel free to start a discussion.

    2. Make a top-level comment if you want to share something positive regarding your personal finances!

    A big thank you to the many PFers who take time to answer other people's questions!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Ex-roommate set up an AT&T account in my name without consent, now being contacted by debt collectors

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 07:17 AM PDT

    Around October or so, my roommate said he wanted to set up an AT&T account for internet. He said he would take care of it, and that it would be a shared account, equal responsibility. I was 19, and never used a service like AT&T before. Little did I know, he used my personal information, SSN, etc for this account, while tying it to his email account, so that I cannot even access this AT&T account that I have never used. Shortly after he recieved the router and set it up, he bolted and left, taking the router with him. He refused to do anything about the account. I started recieving calls from a collection agency around a month ago saying I owe money to AT&T. I have contacted customer service via phone, and they said since I do not have the account number or the security questions for the account, and that I lived at the same address as ex roommate, and he used my mailing adresss, it cannot be classified as fraud, and I will have to visit an AT&T store. My ex roommate also apparently tried to set up ANOTHER AT&T account in my name, in a different city, but AT&T said they could do nothing. I have visited the AT&T store, and they claim they also cannot do anything because I do not have the account number. I am getting called 6 times a day by a collection agency, and am not sure who to call or what to do about this. I have nothing in my mail from AT&T.

    submitted by /u/biteszadusto9
    [link] [comments]

    Found a USAA debit card belonging to someone else. The way USAA handled it leaves me uneasy.

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 08:56 PM PDT

    I found someone's debit card on the ground today. I decided to call the number on the back of the card so that I could let the bank know that it had been found, was lost, and should be cancelled. I figured it had probably been left earlier that day at my workplace by a customer.

    Instead, USAA wanted my name, my phone number, and tried to connect me directly to the customer. When they couldn't, they said they were giving my info to the customer to call me back at their convenience, and that if the customer didn't retrieve the card within 48 hours, I was to destroy it.

    What?

    What???

    There are so many security issues and privacy issues with this, I don't know what to make of it.

    Edit: RIP My inbox.

    submitted by /u/Yukimor
    [link] [comments]

    Payroll has been temporarily redirecting retirement funds for company cash flow

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 07:58 AM PDT

    Recently, a friend who works in payroll told me that our company has been using money that's supposed to be going into employees' retirement accounts (our contributions + company's matching) for general cash flow/supply purchases. It's happened a few times in the past where they'll miss making the deposits two or three pay cycles in a row, and then finally make a much bigger than normal payment to make up for it. Most people haven't noticed because they don't check their retirement accounts all that often (myself included) but at least a few people have noticed. While ultimately the correct amount gets added in, this seems super shady (and maybe illegal?) And it's happening again; they've missed the last two pay cycles. My friend also told me that we may or may not have funding beyond 6 months but we won't know for another two months.

    I immediately started the process to find another job but I'm nervous about a bunch of what-ifs. I'm supposed to get paid out up to 6 weeks worth of vacation time when I leave but what if the company goes under before I have another job lined up? Or even if I do get another job beforehand, they might be so short on money they still might not payout. I don't know how likely any of this is but I also don't know what I can do to get what's owed to me for my work. Any ideas what I can do, what I should be on the lookout for? Any questions I should be asking but don't know to ask? Thanks for any help you can offer.

    submitted by /u/JfW1LRQd
    [link] [comments]

    Denied request for raise, employer feels it's a matter of time before I leave and asked me to give a date so they can succession plan (canada)

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 12:10 PM PDT

    I'm in a senior position with my current employer and I wasn't actively looking for a new job or a raise. However another employer reached out and I ended up exploring the opportunity with them, realizing in the process how much I'm worth and my significantly higher earning potential.

    So I did my homework and asked my current employer for a raise based on market data, additional duties & responsibilities and recent accomplishments. Here's where things got messy (all of the below was verbal):

    1. Current employer found out I was entertaining other offers (only one) - I didn't deny that, explained the situation that they reached out to me.
    2. They feel that my timing sucks because we're in the middle of a project (as always) and that I'm trying to use leverage which is concerning as I'm playing a critical role - I made it clear that I'm bringing this up a few months ahead of salary review so there's enough time to consider my request
    3. Then they asked me for a date when I think I'd be transitioning so they can plan for a replacement - this is where I was caught off guard, I never said I'm leaving

    I get it, they want to minimize their risk but at the same time I did not say I'm leaving but they thought about it as an eventuality. My mind is all over the place now:

    What if I refuse to give them a date? can they fire me for that?

    or do I give them a date? it's almost as if I'm giving them x months notice i.e. resigning

    or do I just walk out now (give 2 weeks notice - don't have anything lined up)

    or do I just ignore their request altogether and let things fall wherever?

    I'm so confused and can't think straight right now, would really appreciate your feedback on how to handle the situation.

    EDIT: thanks everyone for the feedback, greatly appreciated. Now that I've calmed down a bit, the consensus is that I won't be discussing any dates as I never said I'm leaving. I will however work on securing my next gig. By looking around I've been flagged as a flight risk in their eyes and they have to plan, however I won't be the first to make a move in this case unless I have a job offer in hand.

    submitted by /u/DiscernibleChicken
    [link] [comments]

    I don't know who to turn to or how to move forward with my 300k student debt

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 05:41 PM PDT

    I have a student loan debt balance of roughly $300,000. I accrue approximately $1,000 in interest each month. My highest interest rates are 7% and they are all through the government; the vast majority are "Grad Plus" loans and the interest that has already grown on them. Right now I make $75,000 per year in California and I love my career. I am a whole, happy, healthy, very fortunate individual but I am lost with how to move forward with this debt.

    This debt was all incurred from law school. I attended one of the best law schools in the United States, one of the top ten schools. On average, students leave making 160k, and even out of my gifted peers, I knew I could rise to the top. I dreamed my entire life of being accepted at the school and when I got my admission phone call, I cried under my desk at work.

    A week before law school started my boyfriend died in our apartment and I found him. I was a shell of a person. I went to ahead with school to avoid the pain and the shock. Binge drinking in law school is the norm, for me it became all consuming. I left law school with the dean's permission to go to inpatient to treat my drinking problem. I've been heavily involved in the Young People in Alcoholics Anonymous Program since that fateful date and celebrated 2.5 years of sobriety last month. However, when I went back to law school to finish my education, any chances of landing a six figure job had went out the window. My sobriety threatens my career and even my bosses aren't aware or my "extracurricular" activities.

    I say this all to explain how easily my life and my well laid plans were derailed. I don't know if it justifies anything, but I get criticized frequently for going to a school I couldn't afford and taking out loans that will follow me for decades --- for making poor choices. I don't think they were poor choices at the time, and I'm proud of where I'm at today, but I need constructive advice on what to do with my paychecks and any savings.

    I spend about $1,500 in rent and utilities; $300 per month in doggy day care (my dog keeps me accountable in sobriety and I accredit a lot of my happiness to her presence so getting rid of her isn't an option); $500 per month in student loans (which is half of the interest that accrues each month because of the PAYE program); $200 per month in food; $200 per month in gas; I contribute 1% of my paycheck to my matched 401k; I'm 28 years old now.

    I can scrape by some savings. Since starting my job in September last year, I've saved up $6,000. I don't know what I should be saving for? Should I contribute every last penny to my student loans? Should I save up for a down payment on a house mortgage? Are there are investing options? I just don't know what to do now.... this loan won't stop growing for the next 20 years and I'm lost. I'm an adult, I'm to blame for it, and I don't know how to face it. Any advice would be much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/cleanhousetattoo
    [link] [comments]

    Relocated for a well paying job, got laid off after only 3 months.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 01:32 AM PDT

    I signed a 12 month lease and rent is $1400. It's a big house.

    I looked over the contract and to break the lease I would have to pay 2 months.

    Should I try finding another job in this city and stick it out for another 9 months?

    Or move somewhere more affordable in the $700 range?

    submitted by /u/throwaway69696asdf
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for work with a criminal record

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 06:44 PM PDT

    Long story short: I ran an unlicensed marijuana dispensary and ended up getting busted. Charged with 100lbs. Hired a good lawyer, was able to plead down my case and ended up doing 48 days in county and two months probation.

    About ten months left of probation.

    Wife is in law school, one year left then bar exam.

    Have about 30k in savings

    I work full time for a custom home builder for $17.5hr. Been there for almost one year.

    Job isn't to bad, just not very rewarding and I don't see much room to move up financially (there's 2 people in the company minus the two owners). Based on what I do, I don't see them paying me much more then what I currently make. Main reason I stay is they are flexible with my hours, there are two-three days a week I have to be home at 3pm to get my sons off the bus while wife is at school.

    I'm 32. Very reliable, on time, work my ass off, common sense, trainable. I have never been fired from a job ever. If you met me, you would never guess in a million years I have a record or did two months in jail a year ago.

    Obviously with my record it's been hard to find work. Only reason I have my current job, they never asked or ran my background. I interviewed several places before this, hired me, then couldn't hire me once background check came back.

    My question: What could I do to obtain a real job, 50k+? I live in Chicago Burbs. Most of my previous jobs I got lucky through friends, but now that I have a record it seems no one wants to put there neck out for me, understandably.

    I look online for jobs but never really seem to find anything that fits my strengths or when I do reach out never hear back. Never really obtained a real job organically. I currently don't make enough to pay the bills until my wife is a working attorney and feeling the pressure to provide for my family, but my precious mistake is costing me more then I anticipated.

    submitted by /u/Hendrixsrv3527
    [link] [comments]

    Running out of time and money...

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 06:08 PM PDT

    So as the title says, I kind of backed myself into a corner.

    I'm 25, graduated from college 3 years ago with fairly useless degree. there's a few parts to this story so I'll try and separate them to make it as clear as possible, and I will label with the year and my age at the time.

    May 2016, 22yo. - start my job out of college. I was a 1099 working for a small TV production company, commuting to manhattan from Long Island. I was being paid 18/hr and generally working 9-5, sometimes longer. - My only expenses at the time were my monthly train ticket (375) a monthly metro card (~$120), parking at the train (80/month), and whatever food I bought, and whatever I did on the weekends. (alcohol, eating out, life events, etc). Didn't cook much as I lived with my parents. Didn't have a car payment as I used my dads to get to and from the train.

    The reason I start with this part is because I can't believe I've ended up in this situation from where I started. I think everyday how good I had it, and how I fumbled my financial independence away.

    So I kept that same schedule for 8 months, commuting 2 hours each way, but with little expenses. As time went on, and things at work got better, and my urge for a social life increased ... I started looking to move.

    I moved into NYC in Jan 2017. Rent was 1000/month, and I paid another 1000 on top of that for security deposit. All cash. I had saved up about 11-12k at this point...

    I think this was the turning point for me. This was when I thought it would last forever. That I would keep my job, the money would keep coming in, and I could last in NYC.

    I started off my time there spending entirely too much money. Had a couple crazy weekends just spending a couple hundred on a night out. I'm not a club guy whose getting bottle service, but my girlfriend was still in college at the time and NYC is not friendly on the wallet.

    Fast forward a few months, and I finally had to pay taxes, as i was a 1099. I paid roughly 3500 in a lump sum that April. After a few Net negative months because of my lack of budgeting, and finally paying taxes, my total net worth was about 4K. Still, I thought I could start spending less and slowly begin to save again.

    Despite my efforts, and while I did cut down on spending, my hours at work started to dwindle. The company was suffering (boss personal life was falling apart), so I looked for new jobs. Wasn't able to get anything.

    Went the summer, essentially breaking even until September when I was laid off. So I had about ~3,500 at this point.

    My dad helped me out with my rent for the last 3 months of 2017 and I essentially moved home at this time. I was so depressed and anxiety filled from my working experience the past 15 months (mentally abusive boss) that I took some time off. Basically went home to my parents and played video games, smoked weed for 3 months. I'm not proud of it. But I just want to give the whole story.

    So around New Years, my money has almost ran out. This is when I started using my credit card more ... which just leads to worse things.

    Also in the new year (2018), I started a job local to my parents house. I was officially moved back in and happy. I felt like I had a fresh start. I started a job working with disabled adults making 17/hr (w-2), working about 32-35 hours a week. (Was only working about 20 hours a week until March). I kept that schedule for the rest of 2018.

    Some things I did wrong however....

    I had booked a vacation with my girlfriend when I was unemployed. We went in Feb. 2018 and I naturally spent too much money..... you may see a theme here.

    After returning from vacation I was in about 3k credit card debt. Had roughly 800 in my bank acct and 3800 on my credit card. As I picked up hours and time went on, I paid it off, although I still wasn't budgeting at all, still being too reckless with my money, but I was living at home and knew I could get away with it. By the end of the year I had 1,000 in my bank account and 0 credit card debt!!! I even leased a car!

    Unfortunately, we're just getting to the good part.

    Near the end of the year my girlfriend started to get restless. She's a year younger than I am so she had been in the work force for a year and a half at this point, and she wanted to move into her own place. As you can tell by my financial situation, I wasn't ready and she agreed to stay if I moved in to her parents basement with her (they would re do the floors and add a kitchen if we agreed to move in and pay rent). Fine with me - it's a good deal, amazing house, still 5 minutes away from home, but now with my own space.

    Now, while I was working in 2018, I was deciding on a future career path (my current position had no room for advancement). I decided on IT - it always interested me. My parents put me though school for the first time so I took out loans for this one. It's just a 1 year program, costs about 12K, so I decided to jump in.

    I started school and moved in with my girlfriend in January 2019. We went on vacation just before I started school and I left my job as well, looking to land an internship / relevant experience instead, while also giving myself time to focus on school since it was a completely new subject matter.

    At this point I once again was in a credit card deficit, about 1k.

    Since then, that debt has only gone up. I've worked about -4 hours a week since then. Have had no luck with jobs or internships.

    Now I'm running out of time.

    My credit card limit is 7,500. My statement is at just under 6,900.

    I have 950 in my bank account.

    I have to pay rent ($500) for this month still.

    My car payment is processed on the 28th of this month ($350).

    Here's my plan to get out of it all....

    I'm currently awaiting a check from my school. I was given 6500 in student loans for the summer, despite my bill only being 1500. So I'm hopefully getting a check for 5k in the mail, in about 2 weeks.

    I'm also awaiting a pay check from the aide job, which will be about $220, also in like 2 weeks.

    I just applied for unemployment. I don't know if I will be approved.

    I'm also in training to be an umpire and will be certified to start working on 6/15. That pays 30/hr and I'm hoping to work as much as possible. Some games are paid on site and most games are paid out at the end of the month, so hopefully that will be 1k to 1500 at the beginning of July.

    So my question is ... has anyone else been in a similar spot?

    I feel like I've done a lot of good things. I've also done some really stupid things by completely over extended myself.

    My question is; am I fucked?

    submitted by /u/BigWaveMan
    [link] [comments]

    How can one plan for long term care?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 09:12 AM PDT

    Asking about long term care insurance options and health care options for the old age that we could start planning while still relatively young. I read the premium costs for long term care insurance have been increasing to unaffordable levels. Any alternatives?

    I have been thinking recently about the high costs of assisted living or nursing at old age. How can we prepare for this? Any recommend readings appreciated and any insight as well.

    TIA. Also, since I will be busy during the day, may not be able to check the thread until later today, but thank you for your input.

    submitted by /u/cubangirl537
    [link] [comments]

    Bill From 4 years and 10 months Ago

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 05:43 PM PDT

    Hello financeteers of reddit!

    Today my dad informed that lawn care business called him about a bill that he owed them. He told me that he got a sob story that he didn't get billed because of bad bookkeeping by a bookkeeper that was embezzling them(claimed she embezzled 60k, and miss billed 100k). In which my dad was told he owed them 300 dollars. My dad was confused because he thought a friend payed for the lawn care as a gift.

    Now the lawn care in question happen about 4 years ago and 10 months, and I feel like it is absurd that he hasn't received any notification of payment in this time. Now what kind of legal ramifications that could happen to my dad if he chooses to ignore that lawn care company?

    submitted by /u/ni431
    [link] [comments]

    I Got First Ever Secure Credit Card! what The Best I Can Do With It?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 03:49 PM PDT

    Hi. i looking for doing my credit for my first time and i want to know how to do it respondable. as myself have learning disablity and autism (mild) so i have a hard time understanding my card is Discover It Secured Card. i have a credit line of $200 and i get my check from disablity $771 end of the months. so can you give me some beginners guide for me and how to use respondable

    submitted by /u/weezleGW
    [link] [comments]

    Tips negotiating for a condensed workweek?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 06:43 PM PDT

    About to hit my one year review and I am going to try and convince my bosses to let me work 9 hrs Mon - Thurs and 4 on Friday. Anybody have any tips to go about this? Should I let them know first thing or let them mention the possibility of a raise first? I would forgo a raise to make this happen but would obviously love both.

    I was the first hire a year ago to this small company and am partly managing one other new hire plus another on the way. I think this gives me a little bit of leverage but I still have a lot to learn and have room for improvement.

    Background:

    • 5 years experience in a marginally in demand design field in a big city
    • I have worked half day Fridays 4 years before at my previous job and my work has not suffered (hope to bring up this point)
    • I don't love or hate my job/profession. Somewhere comfortably in the middle but it can get stressful which I why I'm pushing this.
    • Currently putting in about 45 hrs a week and getting paid overtime.
    • Currently working towards my accreditation which they are helping pay (about $2k)
    • Many of my peers and people I work with have this work schedule.

    Any help is greatly appreciated!! Happy to answer questions to get a more accurate response!

    submitted by /u/Mr_Daniels
    [link] [comments]

    Should I pay or Should I go?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 11:06 AM PDT

    I'll make this quick and dirty:

    I have about $1,900 in credit card debt & exactly $2,000 in my savings account.

    Should I pay off my credit card debt first & then start saving again from 0?

    Like, what would be the pros & cons of paying off my credit card debt vs not paying it off.

    submitted by /u/frazzlecrock
    [link] [comments]

    My internship offers a 6% 401k contribution, but I don't understand if it's worth contributing to or not (or what way to do so)

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 06:16 PM PDT

    Title; basically my Internship I'll be working at for the next ~8 to 9 weeks offers 6% matching toward a fidelity 401k (Offers before or after tax). I only make 15.50 an hour so the amount i'd be contributing won't be very large, or for very long.

    I cannot keep the 401k afterward unless it reaches $5000 accumulated (not gonna happen). If it reaches $1000 it can get rolled into a normal fidelity IRA. It then gets vague, saying that any less and it would just be automatically cashed out at the end of my term (which my understanding is that this is useless/bad).

    My question is should I try to hit that $1000 by putting a significant amount of each paycheck toward it? If I have less than $1000 in it can I still talk to fidelity about rolling it into some sort of retirement account? I'm a college student living comfortably on my scholarship/parents but I want to start putting money toward my retirement now (I'm 20 years old). II still have about $10k in my checking account doing nothing from previous jobs that I want to also put toward my retirement, but again idk how.

    Any help is appreciated, I'm fairly financially illiterate.

    EDIT: And note that I will not be moving from job to job, I'll be going back to school after this summer for a year, so it's not like I can just start this 401k and roll it into a new job's.

    submitted by /u/AdmiralRofl
    [link] [comments]

    SCAM WARNING: GetDivorcePapers.com

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 05:03 PM PDT

    They offer divorce papers for $120.

    You sign up and they send the paperwork, you submit the paperwork to the courts. It's over and final.

    Then getdivorcepapers.com charges you a $30 fee each month, as if you need a divorce every month. I called them to cancel my account, it's some dude in India who can not understand English.

    After they phone call they charge me 2 $20 transactions. After I directly told them to change my account and never charge me again.

    I went online, cancelled my account, they charge me another $30. I freeze my card and report the fraud to the bank.

    DO NOT USE GETDIVORCEPAPERS.com

    Fraud. Scam. Shill.

    submitted by /u/___Ron___121
    [link] [comments]

    How did you become financially intelligent?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 04:59 PM PDT

    I don't exactly have a question regarding my finances, so I hope you all don't mind me going down a slightly different path than most threads here.

    How did you become financially literate and responsible? Was it college and a career choice? Financially savvy parents? Books? I personally have an engineering background, but am thankful to have parents who taught me a lot of good spending habits, how to save and invest, etc. So what was it for you?

    submitted by /u/6armstrong9
    [link] [comments]

    Just started a new job. Can someone help me decide between health insurance?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 07:42 PM PDT

    Employer will pay for health insurance so there will be zero cost on my end.

    Is it worth it to enroll in a high deductible insurance (in network: 2,700 and out of network: 5,400) just to be eligible for HSA? Or should I go with the low deductible insurance (in network: 1,500 and out of network (3,000) and settle with a FSA?

    I am a 23 y.o female that requires infrequent hospital visits.

    submitted by /u/leasequestions408
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best investment to see a monthly income, from 25k?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 09:41 AM PDT

    It's not much, but it's a shame to see it just sitting in a savings account not doing anything.

    submitted by /u/Witcher357
    [link] [comments]

    health insurance question

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 06:59 PM PDT

    I hope this is an appropriate place for this post. I've been a long time lurker and always come here for answers but could not find anything for my specific question.

    My wife and I are both currently employed and she is receiving health insurance through my employer. Since my employer is making some changes, I calculated that it will actually cost more for her to be on my plan than it would be for her to receive coverage through her own employer. However, my coverage enrollment is from July to June whereas her coverage enrollment is from October to September. Thus, if I take her off of my insurance, she would have a lapse in coverage from July until the end of September.

    Since I am not leaving my employer, would I even be able to elect cobra coverage for her? I briefly read something about short term health insurance but am not sure if that would be appropriate either. Is there some kind of simple solution that I am missing so that I can avoid a lapse in coverage for her for 3 months? On the other hand, we are both young and healthy and have not used health insurance in years, what would the penalty be if she did have a lapse for 3 months?

    Thanks in advance for your advice.

    submitted by /u/lookingtoaskaquestio
    [link] [comments]

    I would like some clarification on the Roth vs. Traditional Wiki post.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 06:47 PM PDT

    Hello personalfinance! I've been following for a while and working on getting my finances in order. In general, they're in pretty good shape but I decided to revisit my decision on Roth vs. Traditional saving vehicles.

    I am currently saving money for retirement through a Roth 401k and a Roth IRA. I chose this because I was anticipating the overall tax brackets to rise for various reasons. I'm beginning to question this reasoning. There were a few other reasons I chose to follow the Roth route despite being close the 24% tax bracket (I currently make ~$75k).

    To help me I read through the Wiki page but it has confused me more than helped. I don't have my retirement planned out so some of the location based or the additional income bullets weren't too helpful personally. So I focused on the other ones that might help me. The one about average future tax rate vs marginal tax rate caught my attention. But I didn't understand it so I read the linked article.

    Personal qualms with the writing style aside, I couldn't follow the math presented. Maybe I messed up my math but I got a difference of $2450 between Roth and Traditional instead of the $2502. This was using the approximate tax brackets shown in the plot but the difference is even more drastic using the true 2014 brackets.

    Roth Tax Calculation

    Income: $54,000

    Income minus standard deduction: $34,000

    Tax bracket 1 (0-20,000): $2,000

    Tax bracket 2 (20,000-34,000): $2100

    Total tax liability: $4100

    Effective tax rate using $34,000: 12.1%

    Traditional Contribution

    Income: $54,000

    Income after deductions: $16500

    Tax bracket 1 (0-16500): $1650

    This leaves a slight disparity between the effect rate listed on the website (13.2%) and the income I calculated 12.1%. But pressing forward with their numbers because they're closest, they concluded the couple would need to withdraw $113k per year to reach the same effective tax rate as from when they were working. Why did they calculate the effective tax rate while working with the standard deduction removed but included the standard deduction income in the retirement income?

    Are all the differences from something I calculated incorrectly? If not, is this still a valid method of looking at Roth vs. Traditional? I'm really struggling to follow the logic presented.

    Lastly, the Wiki Page say "I think that my average tax rate in the future will exceed my marginal tax rate now" Am I understanding it wrong or is the website linked not related to the statement? The blog compare effective tax rate to effective tax rate.

    If I were to follow the Wiki page, assuming no change in tax brackets, I would need to withdraw over $38,700 per year for the marginal tax rate to be greater than my effective tax rate (~13.5%). That's not completely unreasonable since my current budget per year is about $40,000 and I hope to travel more when I retire.

    Any help, guidance or clarifications would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Turbo_MechE
    [link] [comments]

    Is it wise to ditch Vanguard and go to M1 Finance?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 05:04 PM PDT

    I recently read this article https://www.howtomoney.com/m1/ which details someone leaving Vanguard to M1.

    I looked on this subreddit and there seems that there isn't a lot of information on M1. Most of the stuff I found links back to M1's subreddit, which doesn't seem like the proper place to get a non-bias opinion.

    **Does anyone have any opinions on M1?** I like the looks of the interface and its ability to rebalance my portfolio automatically. Also, the ability to buy partial ETFs sounds amazing (kinda seems equivalent to buying admiral shares of Vanguard ETF).

    I am currently considering transferring my Vanguard Brokerage Account to M1. I currently have around $3k invested in 3 Vanguard ETFs: VTI, BND, VGTSX.

    I have 2 basic questions:

    1. Has anyone gone through the process of transferring their Vanguard brokerage account to M1?
    2. Are there tax/cost associated with the transfer?
    submitted by /u/Qkb
    [link] [comments]

    PBS's TwoCents is great for personal finance

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 10:10 PM PDT

    This channel is full of useful information about personal finance give it a look. Two Cents

    submitted by /u/nomadProgrammer
    [link] [comments]

    I negotiated with a collections company on a payment plan to consolidate $2600 worth of medical bills down to $1100 and they went back on their word and say I still owe the rest

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 11:15 AM PDT

    Just like the title says, I'm not sure what to do here. I had 3 different medical bills go to collections, one for $1600, one for $720, and one for $300 and they are all under the same account number in the collections agency who has the debt now. In February I negotiated to settle on $1100 with 12 payments of $100. I decided to log into my account to see my progress and they're saying I still owe $2200 which is not what we agreed upon. Am I able to dispute this through Experian? Unfortunately I didn't get this agreement from them in writing and even when I asked for it in writing they said they can't do that but they have the agreement notated in their system, whatever that means. Please help!

    submitted by /u/HmmmmSoYeah
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment