• Breaking News

    Wednesday, September 30, 2020

    Father passed due to COVID, mother is divorced but wants to take over my life insurance? Insurance

    Father passed due to COVID, mother is divorced but wants to take over my life insurance? Insurance


    Father passed due to COVID, mother is divorced but wants to take over my life insurance?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 11:38 AM PDT

    My dad passed away in June 28th due to COVID, and was remarried to my stepmom (duh) since 2019. There was a life insurance policy for my brother and I, and the next of kin would be my stepmom since my bio mom has been separated for quite some time. She has been asking me to sign papers to transfer ownership of the life insurance policy over to her instead of my stepmom, whom I trust more. Bio mom says she needs my dad's death certificate but my grandparents don't want to give it to her. What is she trying to do? Is there money involved in this or something?

    submitted by /u/Zacharide
    [link] [comments]

    Daughter in catastrophic car accident

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 04:50 PM PDT

    My 16yr old daughter was in a catastrophic car accident. She was driving her boyfriend's truck. A car swerved into her lane (to miss a deer) and hit her head on. This was 3wks ago. She has massive brain injuries and will never be the same. She also shattered her pelvis, broke both legs broke as well as 3 ribs. We will go after the other driver's auto insurance and home insurance but we are looking at life long care and a life that will be extremely compromised. If the other driver had minimum insurance, ate there any other avenues that we can consider in terms of help with bills? We live in South Carolina.

    submitted by /u/Tonyp963
    [link] [comments]

    Attention Commercial Underwriters, How do you like your submissions

    Posted: 30 Sep 2020 01:22 AM PDT

    I send up to 20 submissions a month. I want to be efficient as well as thorough.

    My questions:

    Do you want a long drawn out submission with business history, operations, photos, details on all 5K plus claims, detailed spreadsheet of drivers and equipment, loss runs for 5 years, resume of owner if new venture.. or do you want quick at a glance info to determine right away if you can compete?

    I often spend hours on a submission to get an auto decline within minutes where an underwriter glances at the submission and automatically assumes something isn't a risk they can place. Or they ask for items I already provided and they didn't see it attached. I don't want to irritate the underwriters or want to get irritated by their constant questions already answered on the submission summary.

    I welcome any ideas. I'm in Minnesota.

    submitted by /u/jessiethepanda
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any reason to have Underinsured Motorist Property Damage higher than the worth of the car?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2020 02:53 AM PDT

    Hey guys!

    21 Male here, located in the good ol' PNW - Specifically Washington.

    I first got my license at 16 and never had a ticket or accident. My rate has usually been around $600-$700 per 6 months (I currently have 50/100/50), and I've only ever seen this number go up. I've decided to shop around for more options.

    I got a quote from Geico for a 100/300/100 for around $350 (for 6 months, without comprehensive/collision). I'll have to call and confirm this but I've probably quadruple checked everything and seems like all my information is correct (this quote is not including the 15% off discount and is if it is paid immediately).

    My question is if there's any reason to get Underinsured Motorist Property Damage at a higher level than what the car is worth.

    Please read this: This is not what Geico calls "Underinsured Motorist coverage," which pays for your injuries caused by an underinsured motorist or hit-and-run driver. I have this at 100/200K at the moment.

    Instead, this is "Underinsured Motorist Property Damage," where the insurance pays for damages to the vehicle caused by an underinsured motorist or hit-and-run driver. Say the value of the car is no more than 10K - would there be a reason to purchase anything higher than that amount for the car? Is there any case where it would be beneficial to have a higher amount?

    Also, as a bonus question, do these values look fine? Basically 100/300/100 and then 100/200 for underinsured, and 15k for the underinsured property damage (the value of the car is around 9-12K).

    Thanks in advance:))

    submitted by /u/OpenLog
    [link] [comments]

    Car insurance and lawyer's office won't return my calls - one month window after being served is almost up

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 08:59 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, I've been reading this thread for the past year and a half for advice after my car accident and it's been an immense source of information and comfort, so firstly thank you for this.

    I was served with papers almost a month ago and the 30 day window expires this weekend. I was only finally paired with a lawyer's office a few days ago, and since it was over the weekend I had to wait for a business day (tuesday, since monday was a holiday). I have left voicemails since friday night, monday, and now tuesday, and I have gotten no response. I have only wed, thurs, and fri left to contact my lawyer and see if they have responded to my service papers. I don't know what happens once 30 days expire with no response from my side.

    Has anyone ever been in a situation like this? I feel very frustrated and at a loss - what else can I do besides leave voicemails?

    submitted by /u/ParadoxicalFire
    [link] [comments]

    Car Insurance when buying your first car

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 05:09 PM PDT

    Wanting to move out when I'm done with high school, because I'm tired of living with my parents. Love them, but I'm tired of the way they ignore me and just use me to do stuff as if my time isn't valuable and I'm trying to do stuff like learn how to drive. Just came here to leave this and see if anybody had any tips with insurance especially for your first car when moving out before I look stuff up tonight.

    submitted by /u/CJ_headstone
    [link] [comments]

    First claim; kitchen leak

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 08:42 PM PDT

    This will be my first insurance claim process. I noticed it was wet under the kitchen. I figured out the faucet was dripping so I replaced it. After a few days, the wood cabinets are getting stuck and cabinet doors don't close properly. I called the insurance company today and a 3rd party is coming tomorrow t o inspect the damage. Anything I should know? If I could get a new kitchen out of this with minimal additional $ put in past my deductable, that would be great. Also, the insurance mentioned that my premium would increase for the next 5 years if they had to make any type of payout. Is this legal and normal? Located in Southern California.

    submitted by /u/SmoothSector
    [link] [comments]

    When does income count toward ACA?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 08:16 PM PDT

    For plans purchased through the ACA/Healthcare Marketplace, what/when does income count?

    Specifically, which year would income earned in December 2020 but payed to me in January 2021 count towards? 2020 or 2021?

    submitted by /u/AnnaLauren47
    [link] [comments]

    Test results invalidated due to incorrect preparation

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 08:01 PM PDT

    My husband had a cortisol stimulation test. He was not informed of preparation of stopping steroid medications. No mention was made to stop using his psoriasis creams which are also steroid based. He was asked at the test but didn't understand the question fully, he thought they were only asking about oral medications Or inhalers.

    So his results come back "normal". However, there's a large possibility the test is invalidated due to inadequate preparation.How can this test be done again? Do we have to pay for testing twice?

    location, Oregon

    submitted by /u/Cyclone-wanderer
    [link] [comments]

    i am an additional driver on an auto policy, does this coverage extend to me when i rent a car?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 09:26 AM PDT

    Hi I drive my sister's car sometimes, I am on her policy but not as a named insured. We live together. I am renting a car this weekend, does her liability and physical damage coverage extend to me with my rental? She has a policy with state farm in Washington. edit: thanks for the feedback, i'll have my sister contact the agent.

    submitted by /u/dma488
    [link] [comments]

    Racecar Crashed by 3rd Party

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 05:48 PM PDT

    I'm in a situation that involves a vehicle that is close to a street legal racecar (think Fast and Furious), the vehicle is registered and fully insured. The vehicle is loaned/rented to a 3rd party for the purposes of competition on a rather informal basis, but the agreement is the vehicle is to be returned in the condition it was lent.

    Recently the vehicle being driven by the 3rd party was involved in an accident during a competition/race. Damages are near $20k.

    Could the 3rd parties Homeowners policy help cover him for the damages he incurred to the owners vehicle? If so what type of policy/coverage language should he be looking for? One concern with going that route is the insurance totaling the vehicle which would be a bit of a loss with the parts and preparation that went into the vehicle, is it possible to get it adjusted to be a higher amount?

    submitted by /u/Malodorous_Money
    [link] [comments]

    Settlement changes coverage category at last minute - filed complaint with state

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 04:53 PM PDT

    Edit to add that I am in Colorado, USA.

    Hello,

    Please see below for the text of the complaint I filed with my state's division of insurance. I've anonymized the text of my complaint but it is otherwise identical.

    Would appreciate hearing any advice/tips/perspectives on this. A little bit frustrated by the outcome here - hoping I will be made whole in the end, but not going to hold my breath. Really appreciate your input.

    Detail of Complaint

    "I discovered my on-site storage unit had been burglarized on [date] and filed a claim with [Household name ins. agency] immediately. A large portion of what was taken from my storage unit was ammunition, which per the original claim was filed as being covered under my All Unscheduled Property limit ($60,000). Throughout the claims process I was verbally reassured that my ammunition would be covered under this limit.

    Today (9/29/20) I heard from my adjustor, [Name], who offered me a final settlement. He stated that after talking to his colleagues, they decided that my ammunition (per him estimated actual cash value of approx. $11,000) would fall under my "Guns" coverage limit ($2000), even though I have a separate rider that schedules all of my individual firearms by serial number (~$30k limit).

    Because of this sudden and arbitrary change of category, I received only $2000, and not the ~$11000 that I would have been entitled to had ammunition been considered under the original coverage limit (All Non Scheduled Property).

    The language of my policy does not make it clear - or in fact, suggest anywhere - that ammunition would be covered under the "Guns" coverage limit. It seems that the decision to consider my ammunition under my guns coverage limit was arbitrary and perhaps deliberate in order to limit my cash settlement."

    Describe what you would consider to be a fair resolution to your complaint.

    I would like the ammunition that was stolen to be re-considered as "All Non Scheduled Property" and to receive full payment for their actual cash value, minus the $2000 that was already dispensed to me.

    submitted by /u/CODE10RETURN
    [link] [comments]

    Unplanted tree blown over

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 09:18 AM PDT

    Had a tree that I was in the process of planting in my front yard, well a storm came and ended up blowing it over before I got it planted and it hit my neighbors car, curious on where to start? Am I liable? Who's insurance should be contacted first? What's the process and expected outcome from something like This? In Indiana US

    submitted by /u/Dillow_13
    [link] [comments]

    TOTAL LOSS NAF WHO PAYS THE LOAN

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 04:16 PM PDT

    A good friend of mine I have insured was in a wreck and the other party was at fault. They declared her vehicle a total loss. They deemed the value $14,500 however she owes $18,000 on the lien. She does not have GAP insurance. How does this work since she was not at fault? Does the at fault party's insurance need to pay the remainder even though they are being difficult? Will she need to file with her own insurance company to get the difference under UM and pay a deductible? Is this a legal matter that needs a lawyer involved?

    submitted by /u/rachelknowsinsurance
    [link] [comments]

    I need help finding an insurance plan Florida

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 03:14 PM PDT

    Hey I hope I'm posting this in the right section but I'm looking to purchase health insurance. I have ADHD and im going to need to see a psychiatrist once a month or a primary care once a month. I'm a 30 year old male in Florida with a clean medical history. If anyone has any advice on which type of plan I need please help.

    submitted by /u/Afloridaman89
    [link] [comments]

    Erie vs. Cincy vs. Amica?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 03:12 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, first time long time. Shopping for new home, auto, and umbrella policies, and got 3 quotes. One from an independent agent that quoted me Erie, one for Cincy, and then I got a quote from Amica direct. Cost of the policies goes like this: Cincy-Amica-Erie. Any specific differences in customer service, claims process, or businesses I should know about? Any red flags? I'm in the Chicago-land area. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/thedeuce545
    [link] [comments]

    How do I scrub a suspended license violation from my record

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 02:51 PM PDT

    A few years ago in 2018 due to some confusion, Unbeknownst to me my license got suspended, apparently I paid a bill the day before something was due and it didn't charge until the next day, resulting in my Ls being suspended. I drove a whole year not knowing I had suspended licenses until a random cop pulled me over and told me. I went to the traffic court DA and explained, she dismissed the ticket for me. I recently checked my record and the suspension violation is still on my record. My insurance wants $687 a f*cking month, which is crazy, over 3x my damn car note. Completely unreasonable

    submitted by /u/FlexDios
    [link] [comments]

    Xpost: I am thinking SIU is involved in this one

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 10:56 AM PDT

    https://www.reddit.com/r/iamatotalpieceofshit/comments/j1y2w3/torching_a_teens_first_car/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

    It seems 50/50 on if people think it's fraud or not. The truth is a large portion of "arson" claims are fraud.

    submitted by /u/opflantern
    [link] [comments]

    Flood insurance/flood zone determination - MN

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 02:39 PM PDT

    Kind of a long story, so bear with me... I bought my house in 2016 and prior to the closing (July, 2016), I was told that the house was in a flood zone and that I would need to get flood insurance, however the previous owners were trying to get it rezoned so that this was no longer necessary. I should note that there is a small creek running through my back yard. When I closed on the house, the rezoning was still in process so I had to pay for flood insurance. About a week or so later, I got notification that the house had been rezoned, was no longer in the flood zone/plain and I got refunded the money for flood insurance.

    A few months later - December, 2016 - I received a letter from my lender stating that FEMA had rezoned my property and it was now in a "Special Flood Hazard Area" and I needed to get flood insurance again. Included with the letter was a copy of the Standard Flood Hazard Determination Form (SFHDF) from DHS/FEMA stating that the flood zone had changed from zone X500* to zone AE. The NFIP Map Panel Effective/Revised Date is listed as 11/04/2016 (this may be important later) and the comments state that the original determination date was 07/08/2016 - just prior to my closing. So it appears the previous owners' request was looked at, they determined that it's not in the flood zone and all was good. Then 4 months later, they looked again and changed their mind about it. Makes sense, although it seems odd that it would change that frequently. Also of note is the date of determination on this SFHDF - 11/30/2016. Anyway, I got a flood insurance policy and assumed this was now just a way of life for me.

    Fast forward to a couple days ago. I'm in the process of refinancing the house and my mortgage guy calls me to ask if the flood insurance is just a personal choice due to the creek, because I'm not in a flood zone. I told him the story and he emails me his copy of the SFHDF form that he received. In this one, it states that my flood zone is X500* and in the comments it says "The subject property IS PARTIALLY WITHIN a Special Flood Hazard Area. The existing STRUCTURE, however, is not affected and is not in the floodplain." The NFIP Map Panel Effective/Revised Date is (still) 11/04/2016. In the section asking if there is a Letter of Map Change (LOMC), the "Yes" box is checked with the date of 11/05/2016. And on this copy, the date of determination is 09/23/2020.

    So, I start poking around on the FEMA flood map web site. When I look at the actual map, it does appear that my house is in the AE zone. But as I'm looking at other available documents and such, I find a "revalidation" from 11/05/2016. It's the LOMC dated 11/05/2016, addressed to the Mayor of my city revalidating previous determinations. And right there in the list of properties is my address showing a flood zone of "X".

    As it appears to me, I don't need flood insurance and I never did. The SFHDF from 11/30/2016 appears to be wrong and it does not list the LOMC from 11/05/2016. And even if it was correct, then the SFHDF from last week would show another date in either the NFIP Map Panel Effective/Revised Date and/or the LOMC section, right?

    I'm working with my insurance company to cancel my flood policy and I'm relatively sure I'll be able to get that done going forward with the new loan. But I'm not happy that I've paid over $12,000 for flood insurance for the past 4 years based on bad information. Is there any way I can get that money back?

    submitted by /u/monster2333
    [link] [comments]

    Auto “liability coverage” cost difference?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 02:36 PM PDT

    I have two cars and both have the same "liability coverage", "uninsured motor vehicle coverage" and "underinsured motor vehicle coverage". All have the same cost except for the "liability coverage"...shouldn't that be the same?

    The one with the higher cost for "liability coverage" also has comprehensive coverage and collision coverage which individually has it's own itemized cost but I don't see how that would make a difference for the "liability coverage.

    USA, SC

    submitted by /u/qb2020pe
    [link] [comments]

    Question about Supplemental STD / Maternity Leave

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 05:33 AM PDT

    my wife and I are currently going through IVF. My wife started a new state job right before the quarantine started and she just found out that her employer doesn't offer STD or maternity leave for mothers (which to me is crazy because she works for a school in a large district). They have to use all of their sick and PTO time if they want to goet paid (which also has to be used for appointments). Essentially my wife will be out of PTO and sick time before we have the baby.

    my questions are:

    1) if my wife's pregnancy occurs mid October (estimated date due to IVF) is it too late to sign up for any STD/Maternity leave plans like Aflect, Metlife, etc.

    2) i saw online that some insurance companies offer supp. STD but have waiting periods. Aflac, for example, had a 10 month waiting period. Lets say she gets pregnant, has the baby in 9 months, and 1 month later is 10 months of waiting period. Would she be able to get the insurance for the 10month forward? or since she's already on disability would that claim be void?

    Honestly, we're just kind of stressed out because we just found this info about her job last week after waiting weeks for a definite answer and now we're to the point where our IVF starts next month.

    Any information at all would greatly be appreciated as this would be our first child.

    submitted by /u/rel4th
    [link] [comments]

    Exclusion state/permissive use

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 10:13 AM PDT

    I live in CT which is an exclusion state, which to my understanding is that if you live with a licensed driver, you have to add them to your policy OR specifically exclude them. My S/O recently moved in with me and we added each other to our separate auto policies. However, they added us as a "non-driver" because we answered "no" to the question about if the driver uses your vehicle more than once per month. There is rarely ever a situation where we would need to drive each others car, however I am worried about us being "non-drivers". We use each others case less than 12 times per year so I'm not worried about that. But what I am worried about, since I am listed on her policy as a non-driver, if I take her car down the road to the store, does that count as permissive use even though I am on the policy? Should we just put yes and say that we use each others cars more than 12 times per year and deal with the increased rate? Or in a situation where if we go out to dinner and I've had one too many and she doesn't drink so she will drive us home in my car.

    I just want to make sure we are properly protected and if that means a slight rate increase we are fine with that.

    Thank you for reading.

    submitted by /u/countingbodies_
    [link] [comments]

    Property insurance question

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 01:42 PM PDT

    Hi all!

    Some background, my boyfriend and I had a house fire in our home a month ago. It was contained in our kitchen and our home is still standing. Everything was obviously taken out and cleaned. We have received the estimate for our damage as far as our items that we owned. My iMac was cleaned and determined it didn't need to be replaced, but, the adjuster included the price for it on our estimate. Will they pay us for items and allow us to keep them as well? Or do we only get the choice of keeping our items or being paid for them? Also, we have Travelers if that helps. TIA!

    Edit, I am located in Rome, NY, Oneida County.

    submitted by /u/siobhansanti
    [link] [comments]

    I need some advice...

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 12:58 PM PDT

    Hello everyone! I have a pending application with an insurance company and I'm halfway through the XCEL Solutions course. I have problem though. With the Pre-Exam and the state exam, I have a problem remembering the material. I tried almost everything; handwritten notes, flash cards, and I can't remember anything! Is there any way for me to remember the material so I can pass my two exams? (For those wondering, I have to take the Pre-Final Exam and the New York State one. I need a proctor to take them. Apparently NY is the ONLY state that a proctor is required for the exam.)

    submitted by /u/starbound1332
    [link] [comments]

    Tips or Tricks for series 65 Exam

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 12:58 PM PDT

    Hey yall, I am taking my series 65 exam in a couple of weeks and wanted to know some tips on how to pass the exam. I have been using ExamFX program to study and so far its been going ok I am just a horrible test taker and have bad test anxiety. Anyone out there that can give me any information to help me pass would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Seabear04
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment