• Breaking News

    Monday, June 8, 2020

    Startups Should I hire a programmer even if I'm a programmer myself?

    Startups Should I hire a programmer even if I'm a programmer myself?


    Should I hire a programmer even if I'm a programmer myself?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 02:21 PM PDT

    I'm working on a pretty advanced app, not like the usual CRUD operations, which requires all sorts of UI animations (multiple drag and drop, etc). I can make the backend pretty easily but I'm not that good of a frontend programmer.

    I was thinking of hiring out some contractors (friends that I know) to help me build just that part of the frontend out, but I don't want to be in a position where customers are asking for features and I don't know how to build them since I didn't build out the frontend (or at least, it would take me a long time to learn how to do so).

    I don't want to hire anyone full time since it seems like I can built the rest of the app out myself, so it doesn't seem worth it getting another cofounder only for them to do a small part of the work. I guess my main problem is I don't want to let go of the coding aspect, like I want to do everything myself. Is this something any of you have also dealt with?

    submitted by /u/satvikpendem
    [link] [comments]

    A lot of business ideas but I don’t have enough time

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 06:09 PM PDT

    I have a lot of good and mediocre business ideas but I really do not have the time to do them all. I am trying out about 3 at the moment but the other ideas are just as good. Any good way to approach this or should I just do it one at a time over a long period of time?

    submitted by /u/jinjinium
    [link] [comments]

    Should I put my startup on hold to do an MBA?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 09:00 PM PDT

    After working at an NGO for a while, I decided to start my own business a few months ago. It's a retail store with a reverse supply chain. Every item it sells is zero waste because any broken items, any items at the end of life, and even item packaging can be returned to be reused, refurbished, or repaired.

    I have built connections with suppliers and am currently building a retail storefront. However, I recently got accepted to an MBA program in the UK (I am in NYC), which I am taking and moving in a few months. My question is, should I still move forward with my retail store and have it go live in August, and have someone manage the supply chain from here in the US while I am in the UK, or should I postpone the whole thing until I have my MBA?

    I am in a dilemma because now I feel like I jumped the gun but also didn't want to postpone my plans for an MBA offer that I could have not gotten. I am also worried that postponing it will ruin the relationships that I have built with wholesale suppliers and make them not trust me anymore when I restart in the future. Anybody has faced a similar problem?

    submitted by /u/maneeshaw
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice... started a business that took off at 20 and am in the middle of college degree I can’t finish. Drop out, stay in w/ major change- any experience with this? Thank you

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 06:14 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I have ALWAYS wanted to own a successful business, and have tried (many times) in the past. I am 20 and have my AS in education, and am continuing the program for elementary education this fall to enter into my junior year.

    I always had a passion for marketing and business, although I love educating and have been working in my public school system for two years. My family always encouraged me try to get a degree with job security, and start a business on the side if I ever wanted too.

    Well- I did. In April I began a small venture of doing social media management for an online business woman. Did not expect this to be a hit. Fast forward three months and I have 10 clients, am making 8K/month, and killing it. Registered LLC. Room to scale more. I've had to turn down probably a dozen clients. I'm currently in the process of having a contract written up to hire a VA ASAP.

    Here's the thing. I'm a hard worker. I'll work day and night. HOWEVER and elementary education program requires part time and full time student teaching. This is impossible for me to do unless I give up my business.

    The family, and I, agree that I can switch to a marketing or business degree this week so I can start at the same college in the fall. Only other option is to not continue my education. I'm a straight A student with an AS in education and served as the Vice President in two honor societies. So to sum that up- I love school. I excel in it.

    Does anyone have experience with this? My mind is scrambled. This is scaling so fast I have no time to think. I feel extremely grateful to have accomplished this and my clients are stable for now. We have great relationships, and there's no shortage of other business women popping into my DM's to hire me literally daily, so I see this working in the long term.

    TLDR: Just finished AS in elementary education, about to finish program for the next two years. Started a business in April- took off and making 8K months. Can't finish my degree and keep the business because it requires full time student teaching.

    submitted by /u/lotsofgab
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor/lifestyle apparel brand advice

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 07:40 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I've recently been working on an outdoors/lifestyle apparel brand. I've got my website set up, LLC registered, trademark applications in.

    Started an Instagram page, but haven't started using yet, as I want to have product ready to sell prior to marketing.

    Starting off with hats(should be ready next week)

    And then going to do a preorder on a t-shirt, so that I'm not having the risk of holding a ton of inventory.

    Any advice on how I should go about marketing. Best ROI?

    Any other feedback would be great! Cheers :)

    submitted by /u/thegratefulkook
    [link] [comments]

    Should I write what features will be on the beta version or after beta on the features part of my website?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 11:37 AM PDT

    If I write all of the features that my product will have after the beta version, beta testers might get disappointed but I send them emails weekly about roadmap so they are not going to encounter anything different than I wrote about.
    What do you think?

    submitted by /u/sweetpotato31
    [link] [comments]

    Reliable & low cost app/web development

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 08:17 PM PDT

    My friend and I are working on a tech startup and are looking to outsource the coding of a site / app.

    We're at a moment on market research, deciding if we are to pivot or stay the course and deciding whether our business is both a B2B/B2C company or purely a SaaS company. Working on building our MVP on a shoestring to establish PMF.

    We're based in NSW, Australia and bootstrapping this, both still working a 9-5.

    Now, I've heard through the grapevine that you can pay relatively low cost per hr for a programmer or coder from Eastern European countries compared to say, programmers or coders who reside in the US or Israel. Any one confirm this? Before people come at me with "you get what you pay for", or "cheapest isn't always best" blah blah.. I get it. If you've outsourced coding and programming, any lessons learned and would you do it again if you were starting over?

    Thanks in advance :-)

    submitted by /u/cameronharris18
    [link] [comments]

    Does it make sense of an early stage startup to hire engineers on a contract basis?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 08:13 AM PDT

    For a startup that is pre-launch and pre-revenue, would it make sense to hire software engineers on a contract basis? Or would you always recommend to hire full-time?

    Or would it be better to hire contract first, and hire full-time as soon as there are sales and product-market fit?

    submitted by /u/startinguppp
    [link] [comments]

    Try to get the same domain and social profiles

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 04:43 PM PDT

    I think it's important to have the same domain and social profile usernames. This way, it's easy for users of any medium to find and locate your business. Get a .com domain, and in the case your exact brand name is taken (it usually is no matter what), add relevant words to the beginning or end of the domain, like the, my, try, buy, use, etc. Also, I highly recommend checking TESS (Trademark Database) prior to naming your venture.

    Don't be afraid to change your name, in the case you can't get matching names. People get too caught up on naming things. As long as your name isn't truly terrible (you would know), it doesn't really matter as long as your service is kick ass.

    Just my .02!

    submitted by /u/yellow36
    [link] [comments]

    How long did it take for your SaaS start-up to generate your first ever revenue?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 03:55 AM PDT

    Would love to hear about the industry you are in as well as the journey it took you to close to the first sale. I'm building an enterprise SaaS startup and it seems to take a much longer journey to get traction, compared to my fellow founder friends who are working on consumer products. Can you relate to the sentiment?

    submitted by /u/startinguppp
    [link] [comments]

    How would you develop a web search engine MVP that needs to attract investors ?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 11:52 AM PDT

    Assume a team of brilliant founders have just discovered a new method to index the web and offer a search engine to list search results online, assume they would like to build a MVP to demonstrate their method and attract investors, how would you go about doing this ? (Assume the MVP is limited to only 100,000 USD in budget from the founders money, otherwise suggest how to finance the project)

    submitted by /u/tkadmany
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice for my B2B Sales Tech startup!

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 11:07 AM PDT

    I began working on a sales analytics SaaS a while ago which is currently in stealth mode. We're building an AI engine that crunches through sales activity data (emails, calls, tasks, meetings) to find behavioral insights in sales i.e what makes the top sales rep in your team tick.

    The idea is to understand, on a real-time basis, the behavioral trends demonstrated by top sales reps and then create a predictive model to power a recommendation engine (i.e next best touch, optimal touch delay, etc). Use cases would also include more effective coaching outcomes and a much more accurate revenue forecast in real-time.

    My predicament is that I need some initial data to validate our ML model. Ideally, we could get in touch with b2b startups with an active outbound sales team and create personalized reports, analytics, and uncover insights that only an ML model could find (for free of course).

    Most of this data lives in Salesforce or Outreach/SalesLoft so getting it wouldn't be hard and the depth of the data is very light so there would be little concern for privacy as well (although I wouldn't mind signing an NDA)

    We're super close to raising our seed and this would be an incredible boost so any advice on approaching startups with this would be helpful

    submitted by /u/startingover1993
    [link] [comments]

    ASO strategies for a dating app on Apple App Store

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 10:58 AM PDT

    Hey guys. I have read a lot about generic ASO strategies but haven't found much information on tips & tricks to go about an effective ASO strategy for a dating app especially as its so competitive in the dating app space on the App Store.
    I have made a dating app with a new swiping concept & am looking for ways to rank better for more competitive keywords. I have seen some apps which are in top 5 for the keyword "dating" which haven't been updated since 2018...I wonder what these guys are doing to maintain that ranking especially when you can't modify the keywords without uploading a new build.

    submitted by /u/curiusapp
    [link] [comments]

    Directory of funding sources for all stages of startup funding?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 04:53 AM PDT

    Is there a website or something where (prospective) founders can look at to search for angel investors, VC firms seed capital etc etc categorised by locality and which areas they are interested in and other factors? Hoping to find a directory where you can look at previous investments of a certain investor and determine what they look for to when giving funding.

    submitted by /u/MLbeginner96
    [link] [comments]

    What are some questions you would ask an entrepreneur/Founder of a start up?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 09:11 AM PDT

    I recently landed a small intern role in an edtech startup, and I have the opportunity to work the founder sometimes. I feel like I want to learn as much from them but a lot of times I don't know what to ask. What are some questions that you would ask? Broad/specific doesn't matter.

    submitted by /u/sealy__
    [link] [comments]

    An accelerator is asking me for a fee to confirm seat for cohort. What should I do?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 05:18 AM PDT

    I'm not sure if an accelerators ask for fees in general. Although I need mentoring and network connects but this feel like a paid software giving me bunch of emails to talk to people.

    The fees is around 500$. Should I see this is an investment?

    I know it'd be more interactive but I'm not sure at what cost is it worth it?

    submitted by /u/mrnerdy59
    [link] [comments]

    Creating a new type of user feedback community based model

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 06:51 AM PDT

    Interested in anyone's experience of user feedback models other than the traditional user interview type model.

    We are trying something that we think is different but we are keen to learn alternative models or peoples experience with these. We are building a community of users, drawn from our waitlist. We are putting everyone on a Slack channel and the idea is to co-opt these users into our design process. We will start small but would like to get to several hundred users by October when we go into a broader launch mode.

    We are recruiting a diverse set of individuals and sharing with them our demos, thoughts, value propositions etc. getting their feedback and engaging in ongoing dialogue with them. The big difference is that we intend to work with this group over the long term. Really get to know them and visa versa. So we get time series data not just point feedback.

    Has anyone tried this community approach? lessons learned? success and failures?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Unifimoney
    [link] [comments]

    Getting a foot in the door pitching large corporations

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 04:52 AM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    It would be helpful if we could share experiences contacting established businesses to proposition them for new ventures, partnerships or projects.

    I've tried to contact Nike to present a product proposal, but they've seemingly insulated themselves in customer service bureaucracy to manage customer grievances.

    Any advice and insight shared would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/getoutofmylab
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment