• Breaking News

    Saturday, June 6, 2020

    Startups Feedback Fridays - A Friendly Feedback Exchange For Ideas and Products

    Startups Feedback Fridays - A Friendly Feedback Exchange For Ideas and Products


    Feedback Fridays - A Friendly Feedback Exchange For Ideas and Products

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 06:07 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Feedback Thread. This is the place to request feedback on your ideas and products.

    Be sure to give feedback if you are requesting feedback. Equivalent exchange goes a long way towards reaching your own goals and it makes for a stronger community.

    Please use the following format:

    URL:

    Purpose of Startup:

    Technologies Used:

    Feedback Requested:

    Additional Comments:

    Post your site along with your stack and technologies used and receive feedback from the community. Please refrain from just posting a link and instead give us a bit of a background about your creation.

    Feel free to request general feedback or specific feedback in a certain area like user experience, usability, design, or code review.

    You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Never doubt the power of Wordpress for MVP

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 08:49 PM PDT

    Months ago, I dreamed of starting a web based service/platform/business. I tried and tried, but could not get my desired site working. It was just impossible for someone without an in depth coding background to implement successfully. I gave up, and moved on to other business ideas, but always came back to my original idea.

    Recently, I have been learning to code. I thought that maybe one day I could code my dream website. As those of you with a tech background know, coding is EXTREMELY difficult, and to build something on the scale I wanted to, would take YEARS of learning to accomplish.

    Now, here I sit, and will be launching my MVP any day now. How did I do it?

    Wordpress.

    I know Wordpress gets A LOT of hate, however it is an extremely powerful CMS, with zillions of themes and plugins. Using a (quite expensive) theme, some plugins, and some very minor code tweaks, I have successfully created my dream. It is NOTHING compared to a custom coded project, and isn't everything I hoped it would be, but it is VERY close and I have to say I'm in love with it.

    My point is, don't give up. If you can't code, start learning, and in the mean time search for a Wordpress solution or something similar. Sure, once I get the money and or skills to build this MY way I will. However, for the time being, this will definitely suffice. Never give up! :)

    submitted by /u/yellow36
    [link] [comments]

    How to market and sell

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 02:01 PM PDT

    I'm a computer programmer who developed a web application that I'm hoping to make money from.

    At the moment I've developed the application but now I'm completely lost as to how I can start to generate leads and acquire customers. I really have no idea how I can get people to take notice of my application. I've heard cold calling and cold emailing isn't a great strategy but I don't know how else I could start to get customers to use and pay for my application.

    I'll keep this post short but I'm happy to answer any questions in the comments.

    submitted by /u/nedcan
    [link] [comments]

    [Question] How to talk code as a non-technical founder?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 01:09 AM PDT

    Everyone goes on about how entrepreneurs should learn how to code. However, I don't see myself as a developer/programmer for the simple reason that it doesn't speak to me. It's just not for me. I can use my time to learn other disciplines that can help me grow a startup like marketing, analytics etc.

    But, I do want to learn how to talk code. It'll be much easier for me to communicate my ideas/thoughts to my technical co-founder if I can speak their language. I know there's no hack to learn this overnight, but is there really any source out there for me to get started?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/umma_gumma97
    [link] [comments]

    Why do you want to become a startup founder(if you're not one)?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 02:46 AM PDT

    I'm curious to know why people start ventures.

    I've never thought to myself, I want to become a CEO, I just saw a problem and created a solution, I thoroughly enjoy the process of making. from idea to launch, I love it all

    What about yourself?

    submitted by /u/indp_variable
    [link] [comments]

    Who wants to make business in germany?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 01:31 AM PDT

    Hi folks,

    i am 30 years old and have startup experience. i ´m now looking for my next project and was wondering if anyone of you wants to partner up and do business in germany? So maybe you have already a business in the US, let´s make a franchise and i will make it big in germany.I am good in marketing, Sales, Design , business developmen and sales. Let´s talk!

    submitted by /u/Germanguy1989
    [link] [comments]

    Co-found 2x startups simultaneously?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 01:09 AM PDT

    Hey all, I am currently working on 2 startups in the very early stages, market research for both, one we are establishing a PD and preparing our MVP along with my cofounder so we're advancing further than the other which I am solo on. Both are Proptech companies within the construction industry, based in Australia.

    My question is has anyone started 2 startups at the same time? Any advice? All I can think of as a role model for this situation is Elon musk and his efforts with Tesla, space X, Boring company, solar city etc.. I know he does outsource quite a lot but he still is the CEO if not managing director of more than 1 company (I'm pretty sure).

    I suppose my main focus is time management, perhaps allocating one night of effort per startup (I am still working full time as an Electrician, as mentioned, one startup I have a cofounder and the other I am currently solo).

    Any general commentary on this is welcomed :) Cheers!

    submitted by /u/cameronharris18
    [link] [comments]

    Upset/Anxious after shareholder equity discussion

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 12:42 AM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    SHORT VERSION:

    • at month 1, initial shareholder equity discussion split was 30% for the person who brought the team together and the rest divided amongst the remaining 3 cofounders. Nothing was signed.

    • 5 months later, we want to formalize the company and issue shares, the friend that brought us together has suddenly shifted his stance, he said he deserved 60% because he believes he's the glue of the team and without him we wouldn't have pursued this opportunity.

    • after a back and forth, the shareholder split stands at 40% for the friend, and rest will be divided amongst the rest of us. 3/4 of the team agreed to this, however I do not agree. I'm still upset at the sudden change in initial understanding we had amongst us. My share went down from 23 to 20%, while not much, the principle of the changing our initial understanding is really pissing me off.

    • is my outrage justified? How would you deal with the situation if you were me? If I start my own company, is that unfair to the current team?

    • In terms of contributions, my contributions have been the most impactful so far, so I'm definitely pulling my weight and more.

    LONG VERSION

    Five months ago a friend approached me (along with 2 others) about starting an SaaS, the idea is not unique, however it is a great fit to the market we're in.

    Our initial discussions and understanding (month 1) regarding shareholder equity was that the friend that brought us together will get 30% and the remaining shares will be divided amongst us. However, we haven't signed anything.

    We are now in month 5, we've been a bit slow in execution, but we are moving forward. We still hold our full time jobs and we're about to put in money to develop our brand indemnity and our UX/UI and also sign our shareholder agreement.

    Fast forward to today (5 months), the friend that brought us together has out of the blue said that he feels he's the one keeping us together and is the glue of the project, hence he believes he deserves 60% equity. The rest of us were surprised with the new development. After a back and forth, the other cofounders have agreed and are happy with 40% going to him while we split the rest relatively equally.

    I'm very upset at the sudden shift in conversations and initial understanding amongst us. While from a percentage perspective, my share has dropped from 23% to 20%, I am still very upset and my mind keeps on racing regarding what happened.

    The last thing I want is to be part of the team and have resentment going forward.

    However I'm not sure if I'm thinking straight as I am emotional at the moment.

    Can someone who has been through a similar experience share their thoughts please? Is my outrage justified? Should I split from them and start my company, would that be fair to them?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/letsdothis106
    [link] [comments]

    Please help me decide : Do you suggest hiring developers full time or outsourcing the project?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 08:55 AM PDT

    This is a very basic question, but please help me with your knowledge. I run a small travel agency where I'm barely breaking even. I have decided to move the business online. My question is regarding the development of online travel agency website which has complex functions like retrieving the flights availability, making reservations and issuing tickets etc. I believe this is done by integrating various APIs.

    As I understand, I have 2 options: 1: Outsource the development. 2: Hire developers full time.

    Outsourcing may be cost-effective at first, but I'm afraid of troubleshooting the errors that I may encounter after delivery of the portal.

    On the other hand, I can't afford to hire a full-fledged IT team either. Can this be done by hiring 1 or 2 full stack developer(s)?

    Kindly share your expertise and opinion. Thank you very much.

    submitted by /u/mhm20280
    [link] [comments]

    Basic Question Need help

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 08:04 PM PDT

    Hi i had an idea and I was wondering how i would go about turning it into something profitable.

    Basically it would be a pre workout drink but unlike all pre woerkouts thag are currently in the market it wouldn't just be packed with stimulants. Instead I would have carbs protein and sodium in the drink which are scientifically proven to increase energy stores in the muscles and incrose muscle growth after your workout.

    I would sell the drink in bottles like this: https://www.amazon.ca/BOOST-Protein-Chocolate-Replacement-Drink/dp/B00DW4THV4/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=boost&qid=1591409566&sr=8-3

    How would I go about making this? Is there a legal process? does my item have to get tested? I can create a list of ingredients. I know you have to make an LLC but is there any other legalities? Also how would i go about physically creating and bottling the drinks. If there are any skilled entrepreneurs out there who could help me that would be great

    submitted by /u/NecessaryArtichoke
    [link] [comments]

    Startup? LLC? - I need some help!

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 07:32 PM PDT

    Hello, I'm currently creating a website about career advancement. I do not believe that I will make profit for awhile, and this website (or company) is just purely for my own interest. However, I heard that I should have an LLC to protect my logo and the name of website. I'm totally new about this matter, so I have no idea. I did some research and some said that I don't need an LLC unless I make $10k or above.

    I appreciate your thoughts on this!

    submitted by /u/DPCASEY
    [link] [comments]

    Cold linkedin/emailing for a job

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 07:27 PM PDT

    I've been job searching tech startup companies in my area. For those who are founders or employees of startups, would you guys prefer I messaged the CEO or a lead in my field (lead software engineer in this case)? I usually send a quick 2-sentence message asking if they are hiring. Note: this is when they have no recruiter/HR person

    submitted by /u/rustytoaster1
    [link] [comments]

    Any good sources for learning how to professionally write articles, newsletters, or copywriting?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 12:39 PM PDT

    Hello all,

    I'm looking for the best sources for professional copywriting, articles, newsletters, etc.

    I'm not the best writer and would like to sharpen my skills. What resource has transformed you into a great writer? The material can be in any form: books, lectures, courses, or anything!

    submitted by /u/zomboy1111
    [link] [comments]

    Resources on designing an onboarding process for SaaS?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 06:57 AM PDT

    Wondering if anyone has good links to resources on how to do onboarding for SMB / enterprise SaaS clients or thoughts / experiences with designing that process? I was reading a post in /r/startups today that talked about calculating CAC and gave an example ("4 hours of onboarding, at $80/hour that's $320") that had me thinking... I really don't know much about onboarding (there's an overwhelming amount of stuff to know already) and am not really together on this.

    People just sign up, read the docs, and watch a video we threw up, right?

    submitted by /u/calligraphic-io
    [link] [comments]

    Finding Office Space During This Pandemic

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 11:22 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    With 'flex office' companies closing their offices to their customers but prohibiting entry during the pandemic. I've become jaded on these flexible work offices. I have lost all trust for companies with similar business models because a lot of them appear very vulnerable during these times. The last thing I'd hate is to lose money on a space and move-out very suddenly as a new company.

    The only other cheap options are for less than $2k for 4-5 people in Los Angeles' Fashion District (which is fairly near Skid Row).

    Would tech employees be okay with this? Remember they're not being given equity. They're strictly for hire.

    What are your thoughts on getting cheap office space during these times of the pandemic? As a newly-founded startup, would you trust all your new-hire employees to do work from home? How do you create a work culture that they like that helps with retention?

    If you're a tech employee working from home, do you have any insight? Is it worse or better? What are some things you would change? And do you miss the office?

    With a 2nd wave expected for this pandemic and with more intensity, I could only imagine that office closures would become worse.

    I do have a spare bedroom in my corner apartment in Hollywood with floor to ceiling windows and a patio stretching the whole front. Would it be weird if I got tech employees to work in that spare bedroom?

    At this point, I am even open to giving up my apartment to pay for a bigger office space and sleep in bunk beds in shared living or something.

    Do you guys have any advice?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/barrelbarrelbarrel
    [link] [comments]

    Outsourcing Thermoforming Manufacturers

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 07:16 AM PDT

    Looking mass produce custom liners for planters. Does anyone know the most cost effective solution for this? Should I get quotes from local manufacturers or try to outsource internationally? Company is located in the US. Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/ForestCityMaker
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment