• Breaking News

    Friday, June 5, 2020

    Accounting When you’re a public accountant.

    Accounting When you’re a public accountant.


    When you’re a public accountant.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 08:18 AM PDT

    I can never win

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 01:50 PM PDT

    Manager: "could we expand on this some more? It can use some more detail."

    Same manager, different engagement: "I simplified some of your documentation. I don't want it to look like we're over-auditing"

    🤯

    submitted by /u/ex-taxman
    [link] [comments]

    Little fella trying though

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 01:41 PM PDT

    Partners when discussing new hire compensation:

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 08:22 AM PDT

    As someone studying FAR, this is helping me remember the differences

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 03:12 PM PDT

    KPMG delaying start date to January 2021

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 02:51 PM PDT

    I just got an email that they will delay the full-time start dates along with handing out a one-time stipend bonus to cover any personal expenses from September to January.

    I was wondering if any of you have heard from KPMG delaying start dates to January from early Fall start dates?

    submitted by /u/JackfruitNo
    [link] [comments]

    For Simpsons Fans: Steamed Hams but it's a Substantive Audit Test

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 04:48 AM PDT

    A whistleblower just took home $50 million -- the biggest award the SEC has ever paid:

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 07:26 AM PDT

    I got the frikkin job!!!

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 03:08 PM PDT

    Thank you so much to those on this sub that have helped me through my educational journey and now finally into the small CPA firm I will be working for! I just got the announcement today and I was called in to discuss what my schedule would look like.

    The partners are extremely nice and humbled people. They told me my first month would be all about the basics, which is bookkeeping on quickbooks. Any suggestions how I can start learning over the weekend before I start on Monday? :)

    submitted by /u/level3to126
    [link] [comments]

    Why am I so stupid. I shouldn’t be an accountant

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 08:53 AM PDT

    I thought a client and her boyfriend sold a joint property. I'm so used to only getting HUD statements on sales so I wasn't thinking. I prepared a whole analysis on who should take the capital gain or if it should be split. Then I went to go talk to the partner and after 5 minutes he realized they bought the property. There had been talk of me being promoted to senior but there's no way that's happening lol. I'm way too dumb for this field and it's starting to depress me.

    submitted by /u/doodlebug252
    [link] [comments]

    CPA Canada hit by cyber attack affecting data of more than 329,000 members

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 10:48 AM PDT

    Alright, fess up. Who audited these controls?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 09:30 PM PDT

    Questions on National Tax

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 01:56 PM PDT

    I've currently a manager in tax at a Big 4. I have an opportunity to move into the National tax practice. I'm interested because I could focus on more technical aspects and move away from compliance almost completely. The position is being "marketed" to me as less stressful than my current client-serving role because deadlines are mostly internal.

    However, I'm in a relatively niche area of tax and so the only people to speak with are the handful of people I'd be working with directly and I'm not sure I'm getting a realistic picture.

    Does anyone have experience working in National tax at any of the Big 4? Especially curious to hear from anyone who may have switched from being in the region first and how the roles compared in terms of stress, workload, etc.

    submitted by /u/hashbrownhippo
    [link] [comments]

    Costco Allowance For Bad Debt?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 11:49 AM PDT

    I am doing a research paper on Costco and one of the key elements required is their Allowance For Bad Debts. In Costco's financial notes they say this account is negligible, and on their balance sheet there is nothing listed.

    I am assuming this is because they do not have their own credit card (just partnerships), is this correct? Or is there other factors I am missing?

    submitted by /u/bibimbapdroptop
    [link] [comments]

    Petition for Fairness in CPA Credit Extensions

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 06:33 PM PDT

    Jobs that don’t require managing people?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 06:33 AM PDT

    Tell me about jobs where you can make a 6 figure salary and not have to manage people. I can't do it anymore. I want to be an island.

    submitted by /u/Fent0nCrackshell
    [link] [comments]

    Fund Accountant Interview

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 06:24 PM PDT

    When I say Fund Accountant, I mean accounting for mutual funds, ETFs and the like.

    I have a phone interview coming up for a fund accounting position, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience and advice. Are there any qualities in particular that a fund accountant needs, are there any particular questions that I will be asked, and any examples of an answer that will increase my chances. Are there any ways I can relate my previous experience to the job at hand?

    If it helps to know about me, I don't have a particularly impressive GPA, about a 3.1, although the GPA for my accounting classes is a bit higher, at a 3.4. I have has one internship with a local CPA frim, where I did mostly tax and some bookkeeping work.

    Any help or advice that can be offered would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/DichterUndDanker
    [link] [comments]

    Labeling of Financial Statements

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 09:58 PM PDT

    I sit on a government board. Our CPA firm has to present financial statements for approval to the board they have labeled them:

    Financial Statements

    Year Ended XXX

    with

    Independent Auditor's Report

    Each page is marked with a watermark that says 'Draft'

    No opinion letter is included.

    Is this the proper way to present statement's (the board only approves the actually audited ones there aren't two votes)? I've just never seen statements labeled audited without an opinion letter included.

    submitted by /u/Throwaway5256897
    [link] [comments]

    Financial Modeling & Valuation Analyst (FMVA)?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 06:07 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    Tax associate at a Big 4 firm with ~9 months of experience.

    I have always been interested in financial modeling & wish it were a larger part of my role in tax. While I understand Big 4 will teach me plenty re financial skills, I'm looking to get a head start by diversifying my knowledge base now.

    I came across the Financial Modeling & Valuation Analyst (FMVA) certificate program & the courses look interesting enough & CFI seems like a credible institution. The cost is about $500 (relatively cheap compared to other programs).

    Has anyone ever heard of an FMVA certification? Has anyone ever enrolled? Do you think it's worth it? I would appreciate any & all feedback.

    submitted by /u/Alert_Loan_9904
    [link] [comments]

    Balance sheet question

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 09:49 PM PDT

    I literally can't find the answer anywhere so I'm asking here.

    Let's say I'm in the process of acquiring a company for $4,000,000. The transaction is setup in a way where the bank will lend $2,750,000 and there will be $1,250,000 in equity.

    On the equity side of the balance sheet, we have the share capital and retained earnings. Will the share capital just stay constant at $1,250,000? Of course this is assuming that no other issuance of stock or equity investments will happen in the company. Or will share capital just be your Assets - Liabilities - RE?

    submitted by /u/corp1234
    [link] [comments]

    Performance rating big 4

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 03:05 PM PDT

    How is the performance rating system in a big 4 ? How do they determine your work effciency? Is the feedback from people who have worked with you important? Thanx in advance .

    submitted by /u/ririlalaland
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment