• Breaking News

    Friday, June 5, 2020

    [Megathread] Rules about the PPP may be changing. Let's discuss that and other EIDL/PPP here small business

    [Megathread] Rules about the PPP may be changing. Let's discuss that and other EIDL/PPP here small business


    [Megathread] Rules about the PPP may be changing. Let's discuss that and other EIDL/PPP here

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 06:54 AM PDT

    Changes for the PPP have now passed both houses of Congress. They include a longer period to spend the loan and less restriction on forgiveness.

    These changes have not been implemented by the SBA yet. We know that implementation sometimes means "interpretation" of the bill in ways different from what you would expect.

    Here's a summary of the changes https://www.journalofaccountancy.com/news/2020/jun/ppp-loan-forgiveness-changes-coming.html

    • Forgiveness based on 60% of payroll but now no forgiveness if you don't meet the threshold.

    • 24 weeks to spend the loan

    • 24 weeks to restore workforce levels and wages

    • Five years to repay

    • Additional elements in the link

    Will this change how you do things? What is the most critical piece for you? What questions should I ask accountants or the SBA if I can put together an AMA?

    *Edit: Doh, even mods get tripped up by the automod sometimes. Thread unlocked.

    submitted by /u/BigSlowTarget
    [link] [comments]

    Bear hug from Coke. Need some advice!

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 08:29 PM PDT

    Bought a coke machine from a local vending supplier 3 years ago to put in my hardware store. It's not a huge money maker but I think of it like my piggy bank. Pocket cash when I go on a trip or whatever. Stock it with soda from Sams Club or the grocery store and things have been great. A coke rep popped into the store last week and threatened to confiscate it because it's property of Coke. He was upset because I was selling several different types of soda not all owned by coke. Here is his solution: He will bring me a Brand new machine with a cc reader and all the bells and whistles. He takes the old one away. Here's the catch, I don't get the money from the machine!! I told him get bent. He left with the promise to be back. You guys have any advice? Would love to hear what you guys have to say.

    submitted by /u/Ballz-n-hammer
    [link] [comments]

    What are simple changes that make a profound difference and make your business better?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 05:12 AM PDT

    What are simple, easy to do changes or even cheaper professional changes that change the character, aesthetics, functionality, life of your business for the better? What are your suggestions that can easily be implemented that make a difference?

    i.e. For us, brand new signage, replacing fluro with LED panels for a brighter and uplifting area, upgrading from push hand wash to automated Purell ES8 Healthy Soap, Changing from an old cash register to Square. Repainting the lines of the car park with fresh paint. Bringing in digital menu boards.

    submitted by /u/M1S1EK
    [link] [comments]

    Why do I need to use accounting software to accept payments?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 05:48 PM PDT

    Hi guys,

    This might be a naive question. I am looking into getting an accounting software and noticed that they charge a service fee for processing payments. I am a bit confused as of why i need them to process payments. Can't customers just pay me directly with directly deposit? Is this more relevant to businesses with many small customers like dropshipping? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/whynotcorgi
    [link] [comments]

    Phone Answering Machine

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 07:32 PM PDT

    So I want to have an answering machine message, but turn the ability to actually leave a message off. So customer calls when business is closed, they hear my recording, and then they cannot leave a voicemail. How can I do this?

    These are the options I am currently aware of:

    I can purchase a telephone that comes with a voicemail box at no additional cost. But either the voicemail is off (they don't hear a recorded message) or they leave a message that I have no intention of listening to.

    I can apparently pay for this feature for (I can't remember how much) some obscene amount of money per month through my telephone service provider. Looking for a less expensive option than this.

    submitted by /u/giddygiddyupup
    [link] [comments]

    Selling My Assets to Competitor?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 03:09 PM PDT

    Ok, so Covid shut me down. Long story, but it's done.

    It's a service business.

    I have a couple of competitors who are still operating and restarting back up. I know for a fact they could grow off my list. One I've HATED... but he's the biggest and prob most muscle behind him.

    I know it's smaller than most, but I have a list of 800 customers who purchased last year for gross 250k revenue. I could blast this group that we have partnered with X competitor to help transition.

    I also have a list of 600 additional from the previous 2 years (old but didn't buy last year). I could reach out to this list too.

    Lastly, have a list of 2-3k prospects (could use services) I used to advertise to on Facebook.

    My questions I need some insights on here (maybe others have been thru?):

    1) in general, how much should I ask for this / these lists? Or whats the formula?

    2) What's the process? Any ideas or things to expect? Should I offer non compete too?

    3) should I get a lawyer for this (assuming small) transaction ?

    Just note too that I'm pretty burned in this, so don't really want to do a "pay for those who convert deal" or anything like that. Not sure how I'd even hold them accountable

    This sub has been super huge. Appreciate any help you can give me... im actually super nervous. Thanks in advance!!!

    submitted by /u/Thunder__Cat
    [link] [comments]

    Business law

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 07:25 PM PDT

    I'm a chef and my old boss is about you use my recipe, with or without consent or credit. I've got screenshots of the convo, just wondering if I have options. As far as I know there was no clause in the hiring paperwork about intellectual property. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/game_cook420
    [link] [comments]

    How to be a better leader?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 08:59 PM PDT

    I run my family's mechanic / fast lube shop, they hired me on as a better alternative than my sister (long story). I am only 22 and I don't possess much leadership skills other than organization and (an always improving) communication skill. What can I do to help my employees more? How can I create a culture to let them know that I am there for them? We are only a 10 person team when things are going good. Any input is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/pinkelise
    [link] [comments]

    Any ideas on what I should call my nature themed tee shirt business?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 10:11 PM PDT

    Starting a new tee shirt company that I'm really excited about. The first line of shirts is Hawaiian-like but I plan on having other lines that are wilderness and desert themed. However, I'm having trouble coming up with a unique and catchy name. Anyone have ideas on what I could call it? Also planning on selling stickers with the same designs.

    submitted by /u/JRice3324
    [link] [comments]

    My partner and I have two side businesses that we operate together. How do we set things up under one umbrella?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 04:02 AM PDT

    1. One LLC and then have the two businesses become single member LLCs under the main one?
    2. One LLC and then setup dba's for the other ventures?
    submitted by /u/1dundundun
    [link] [comments]

    Can you help me out?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 03:17 AM PDT

    I want to learn from you guys. Could you please take a few minutes to answer some questions, on this link? Would really help me out with a school project. As well as my journey to starting my own business. Please only answer if you have been involved with a startup organisation (director, employee, manager, investor)

    https://forms.gle/uXCyyVaDmwMbuXy67

    submitted by /u/_danny__jones
    [link] [comments]

    Got my first bad google review. How much did it hurt you guys the first time?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 01:55 AM PDT

    I work super hard to manage my google reviews for my car repair business and out of nowhere a client decides 2 months later that she's unhappy with the prices we quoted her for work that she declined. Putting the details aside, I just needed to vent at how shitty a feeling it is to work 70 hours a week and get a poor review based on work that wasn't even carried out.

    Sigh.

    Share your stupid google review experience so I can drink beer later and read them to make myself feel better.

    submitted by /u/terribleone01
    [link] [comments]

    Q for small retailers: how much mark up do you make on t-shirts?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 11:55 PM PDT

    I have just started a t-shirt brand and am speaking with small shops in the area who would be interested in stocking them.

    As a retailer - how much markup would you expect to make on a shirt?

    Example:
    If the shirts cost me €10, and my target price to the end customer is €25, what price should I offer them to the retailer?

    thanks

    submitted by /u/SkiPassGeek
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with a buisness

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 11:36 PM PDT

    Hey I know yall probably get a lot of messages like this but I need help starting up a business and what I can sell I've had ideas but none I've really like I'm finding it very I'd appreciate if anyone had any ideas or tips thankyou

    submitted by /u/deanmaherr
    [link] [comments]

    EDDM problem

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 03:29 PM PDT

    I paid for a route that encompassed 3,500 homes on 5/27. When I dropped them off at the USPS the clerk said they may take a couple of days to get distributed.

    Well it is now 6/4 and they still havent been sent (not 100% but the flyers look great, business has good reviews and I still havent received a single lead)

    I know that USPS is backed up with covid on top of the riots going on but is it unreasonable to expect them to be delivered by now?

    submitted by /u/scatterbrainedpast
    [link] [comments]

    Free alternatives to Angie's List, Home Advisor etc?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 02:14 PM PDT

    Are there any free sites that will help us find clients? I dont want to spend money on Angie's List until I feel like this kind of model works for us.

    submitted by /u/SpeculationMaster
    [link] [comments]

    Am I Considered a Small Business in Canada?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 10:33 PM PDT

    I am starting a temporary sticker pop up store in Ontario, Canada on Etsy and wondered if I need a business license to sell stickers. All the profits will go to BLM organisations and the shop will be closed by July or August. None of the profits will go into my income, but I'm still looking to make a profit because y'know charity.

    I am also a international student studying in Canada, which makes me very cautious about selling on Etsy or attaching my bank account as I'd prefer not to be deported.

    Does this count as a small hobby or would I require a business license?

    submitted by /u/grossman95
    [link] [comments]

    Any eminent domain advice?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 10:27 PM PDT

    I'm faced with eminent domain from the county. (Texas) They lowballed a first offer, but now I'm worried they are going to sandbag me if I contest it because of property values (potentially) going down due to Covid. Have a lawyer, but it's a "small world" and I don't know if he's really going to go to bat for me since I am one little client and he deals with these government entities all the time and has a recurring offer/negotiation relationship with all the players. (Why risk fighting too hard for one little client when he can use his credits for a bigger fish.) Nearby private landowner already closed and his offer was 6x mine per square ft. Many of the same comps were used but the appraisal on mine was "discounted" on those same comps. Can't sleep, any advice? TIA!!

    submitted by /u/Dotdashdotdot
    [link] [comments]

    Should I change my business name from "Elliot's Deck Staining" to "[Town Name] Deck Staining?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 09:56 PM PDT

    I don't have a physical location for my Google My Business listing which I think puts me at a disadvantage. I don't show up on the map when searched for "deck staining". I'd rather not list my home address for privacy reasons. Would changing my business name to include my service area help get customers?

    submitted by /u/Stchiken
    [link] [comments]

    Generating small income from a small website/blog - should I set up a LLC to incur business expenses?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 09:55 PM PDT

    I started a blog/website as a small hobby and now it's beginning to generate income (and future expenses as I invest more to improve the business). With the expenses, I'll most likely operate at a operating loss in year 1 (2020) with the outlook of small amounts of profit in 2021.

    Is it worth me incorporating a LLC so I can start deducting the expenses I will incur? Worth paying for those online LLC set up services? (Ie. Zen business, incfile etc)

    submitted by /u/benz1830
    [link] [comments]

    ManoMano Fulfilment rolls out in the UK

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 09:30 PM PDT

    The French giant manomano willing to launch their fulfillment service in the UK, it is the best time for UK sellers to take advantage and use this opportunity and grow their business with the best serviceability
    Refer the blog to know more: Step-by-Step Seller's Guide to Start Selling on ManoMano Marketplace

    submitted by /u/Sara_Fernandis
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to hire my first employee.

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 05:51 AM PDT

    I run a small print shop in Ohio and I'm looking to hire my first employee for part time. Wanted to get input and recommendations about how to go about this the best way. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

    submitted by /u/bigdoinks6669
    [link] [comments]

    Mortgage Loan Originators/Officers

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 08:53 PM PDT

    I am taking my UST on June 29th and I was wondering any tips for passing the exam!! TIA :-)

    submitted by /u/banananuttmuff
    [link] [comments]

    New York - differences between ‘New York Business Certificate (DBA) Form x201’ and ‘Certificate of Assumed Name’?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 08:30 PM PDT

    Hi all. I have a question about paperwork in NY. From my research, I am under the impression that I do not have to file paperwork for sole proprietorship. However, if I want to use a business name, I'm a bit confused at which paperwork I have to file. From doing some research, I have seen both from x201 and Certificate of Assumed Name, but I do not know which would apply in my circumstances. Can anyone give me some insight on this? Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/icegnomey
    [link] [comments]

    What are some tips on how to grow an e-commerce business?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 02:00 PM PDT

    I work for an e-commerce company. We're trying to grow our business especially in the current climate. We focus on selling items that "make people feel special" or in other words, health products and lifestyle products. I have some ideas on how the business can grow, but I wanted to hear from other small businesses some tips that really helped. Sorry if this is not the place to ask this. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Muncamunca
    [link] [comments]

    Struggling With Growth

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 10:00 AM PDT

    I run a very profitable small printing company in the Bay Area and we're struggling with growing our customer base. The majority of our business is from existing customers and random "walk-ins". I'm struggling with creating any leads or new customers, does anyone have any tips?

    submitted by /u/tommilner27
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment