• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 2, 2020

    First Sallie Mae loan payed off Student Loans

    First Sallie Mae loan payed off Student Loans


    First Sallie Mae loan payed off

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 06:53 PM PDT

    Just payed off my first Sallie Mae bill, looking at paying the next one off by the end of the summer. Really stoked right now

    submitted by /u/m_hearns
    [link] [comments]

    The new lower federal loan interest rates for the 2020-21 school year appear to kick in July 1st. Should I wait until then to apply for the loans?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 02:15 PM PDT

    The rates described here: https://www.studentloanplanner.com/federal-student-loan-interest-rates-2020-2021/

    They indicate that these new rates kick in July First. I just went to begin the Entrance Counseling at Studentaid.gov when it cited the old interest rate of 6.8%, which triggered me to make sure I was okay to apply now. So should I wait or do these interest rates apply to all loans for that school year?

    Thank you for your time!

    submitted by /u/Rin-Tohsaka-is-hot
    [link] [comments]

    Studying 120 credits with the open university, can I get a student loan?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2020 12:38 AM PDT

    I live in Scotland, and I'm going to be studying 120 credits next during academic year with the open university. Am I eligible to get a student loan to cover my living costs? I know that SAAS will pay for the course, but can I also get a student loan for my living expenses? Last year I studied 60 credits, so I wasn't eligible for a student loan.

    submitted by /u/DJRyanReid
    [link] [comments]

    Are Grad Plus loan available after hitting aggregate limit?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 08:26 AM PDT

    I have one semester left and hit the limit, broke, and want to finish.

    Is it possible to still get grad plus after reaching the aggregate limit?

    Says grad plus has no limit. Then read after aggregate limits: no more federal loans.

    submitted by /u/nwtay
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for a social worker

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 11:00 PM PDT

    I finally got my masters (yay!) However, now I have $186,000 in student loan debt. All of the loans are eligible for loan forgiveness, but that's literally 10 years away.

    Until then, I'll have to pay an average of $411 bucks a month. I am a social worker... even with a masters I'm definitely not raking in the money. What advice does anyone have to help pay chunks off until 10 years hits?

    I'm considering an "on call" job on the weekends but my current job takes an emotional toll already so I'm trying to find other ways to make the burden less.

    submitted by /u/Pizo240
    [link] [comments]

    Getting a refund due to not being able to complete a course... should I put it to my loans now or wait?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 04:36 PM PDT

    I'm in grad school. Due to Covid I can't complete part of my program and the requirement has been waived so I'm getting a several thousand dollar refund. All my loans are federal, a balance of 140k ranging from 3-7 interest.

    Should I pay it back immediately (within 120 days of getting the loan so it'll just take it off the principal) or wait until after that and put it towards the accumulated interest (7k) so I get rid of the accumulated interest more quickly and my payments (starting repayment at the end of the year) go to principal more so than interest.

    submitted by /u/futureOTgradstudent
    [link] [comments]

    IM PANICKIMG PLS HELP

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 09:50 PM PDT

    okay why the funk is figuring out who to get student loans from so hard???? ive heard such bad reviews on so many places, and to be honest taking loans from a bank seem like a poop show... sadly the high school i went to failed to tell me anything about loans and .. how to even do them, and now my uni is saying they cant recommend any good loan offices because it would be too involved for them??? im going into the art program and for this school specifically you are required to live on campus your freshman year (unless you have specific needs that cant be met on camp.) so that being said... its cost a trillion forking dollars. so, if any of you have had "good" experiences please help me out.. <3

    submitted by /u/peachyabbyy
    [link] [comments]

    Will schools which I notify of my FSA Entrance Counseling see all of the information that I enter in it?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 02:29 PM PDT

    I've done the entrance counseling before (I'm transferring) and I'm very familiar with all of this information - I was hoping to avoid the loan calculator parts - If i don't enter my real information there, will schools see it?

    submitted by /u/aej11a
    [link] [comments]

    Loan rehab application: how to include the kids I share with my ex wife?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 08:13 AM PDT

    Should I include both of my children under family size if I am not primary caretaker?

    Section 3, line 23 asks for my family size: "Your family size includes you...and your children...if the children will receive more than half of their support from you."

    My situation: divorced with joint custody of two minor children. In my state, one parent has to be designated the primary caretaker, and that's their mom. We split visitation about 60%(her)/40%(me). Child care, extracurriculars, and medical bills/Rx are split 50/50. Given this background, here are my two trains of thought:

    1. As part of our divorce agreement, we each get to claim one of the kids as a dependent for taxes. So it seems that I would only include one of the kids as part of my family size.

    2. BUT I think about child support— the idea is to replicate what I would be contributing if we were still living together. And I make waaaaay more than she does, so it seems by this logic that I would include BOTH kids as I am contributing more than half of their support (lodging, food, clothing).

    What say you???

    submitted by /u/renry_hollins
    [link] [comments]

    Payment due to my school after being covered by FA?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 05:09 PM PDT

    Hello, I was hoping someone could help set my mind at ease with a potential issue.

    I graduated this semester and was lucky enough to have FAFSA cover the cost of my tuition, with the extra money being returned to me through a student refund. After graduating I decided to enroll in a few more classes this upcoming semester because I had enough leftover aid in my student account to cover it. When checking online I had everything fully covered and did not owe anything to the school.

    However, I just got a call stating I owed money for this upcoming semester. I didn't think that was correct so I went to check, and now they are stating I owe a total of over $5k. $2700 for the Fall 2019 semester, $2000 for the Spring 2020 semester, and $500 for the Summer 2020 semester. These were previously paid, but now are showing a balance due with a note that states " Student not in a valid program for Title IV aid" (I guess because I just completed my program when I graduated).

    Is there a chance this is just a fluke, and I don't actually owe this money? I'm a bit shaken at the moment so any and all advice here would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/BeeReckless
    [link] [comments]

    How many years would it take to pay off a student loan of 50,000 USD . I would graduate as a CS grad , assuming my pay per year to be minimum 60,000 USD

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 03:22 PM PDT

    I need to ask before I go to a specific college

    submitted by /u/pablopistachioo
    [link] [comments]

    Federal loan sold 2x

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 07:45 AM PDT

    My federal loan was sold 2x most recently to an out of state company with no entity in my state. They are also stating that I have 45 days to pay in full or I am reported. Didn't they pause credit reporting? Does the statute of limitations for TN apply now that it has been sold out of the govts hands and they are paid?

    In Tennessee. Sold to Jefferson capital first then most recently to Unifin

    Thanks for the help.

    submitted by /u/Titanruss
    [link] [comments]

    Total and Permanent Disability Loan Discharge Transfer to Spouse

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 02:20 PM PDT

    I recently received my disability rating of 100% P and T from the VA and I am continuously researching the many benefits I am eligible for. One of the benefits I recently discovered is student loan forgiveness via the Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) Discharge program.

    Fortunately, I do not have any student loan debt of my own as I've funded my education through Tuition assistance and the post 9/11 GI Bill. However, my fiancee, whom I will be marrying next month, still has about 10k in outstanding federal student loans.

    Does anyone know if there is any legitimate way I would be able to take over her loans and utilize this TPD benefit to take care of this debt once we get married? I contacted her federal loan servicer to inquire about this and see what options I have, but they have never encountered this situation so weren't able to advise. They just told me that in order to take the loan I would need to go though a third party lender and use that to pay off the balance. This won't be a good option for us because to my knowledge the TPD will only discharge federally-funded student loans.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    submitted by /u/StableBean
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about deferring loan due to covid-related unemployment

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 07:54 AM PDT

    I have private loans (with AES) and wanted to call today to see if I could defer them for a couple of months since I'm not making as much because of covid-related shut downs. I had a few questions about this:

    1. If they get deferred, would my monthly payments increase once they went back into repayment?

    2. If they get deferred, would I owe the deferred payments all at once when they went into repayment?

    3. Is there any sort of phrasing I should use or avoid when I speak to someone?

    submitted by /u/BonkersinYonkers2019
    [link] [comments]

    Prepayment

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 01:20 PM PDT

    Hi! I really need advice regarding student loans, I apologize if the question is stupid, but I'm a college freshman and know very little about student loans.

    Basically, I'm thinking of taking the Federal Direct Subsidized Loan for my first year. Is it possible to repay it before I graduate or during the grace period? Can I repay it fully before I'm charged the interests after graduation and the grace period? I'd appreciate any help!

    submitted by /u/beatrix010
    [link] [comments]

    Law School Student Loans

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 08:17 AM PDT

    I just finished my second year of law school, with one year left to go. My parents paid for the first year, I was able to pay for the first semester of the second year out of pocket, and I took out about 30K in loans for this second semester of the second year. I will presumably need to take out full loans for the third year (around 80K would be my guess; I got minimal financial aid).

    I am currently working as a summer associate at a large law firm in NYC, so I will be making probably about 20K (after taxes) for the summer, and I probably plan to work at this law firm after law school (offers have been guaranteed).

    My main two questions are:

    1. Should I start paying back my loans a little now with the money I make this summer? Or do you wait until after you graduated to do that?
    2. Do y'all have a general source of information you use for questions like this (besides this subreddit of course)? I often find myself asking questions of my own school's financial aid office, but they're often unreliable and of course I can't fully trust them anyway.

    Thanks so much!

    submitted by /u/summitice53
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get a Grad Plus Loan to cover living expenses?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 10:48 AM PDT

    I received an assistantship for Grad School which is covering all of my tuition and giving me a $6,400 stipend, which will cover rent for the time that I am in school for my one year program....but how do I finance everything else? I've gone through like 3 or 4 of studentaid.gov calculators to find out how much I'm eligible for with a Grad Plus loan, but it's very confusing because apparently I can only take out a loan for the cost of the school minus the total financial aid package that my assistantship provides...so like $4,000.

    Does this mean I need to take out a private loan for those living expenses?

    submitted by /u/immmm_at_work
    [link] [comments]

    Bad idea to take small loan on 401k? To pay off loan?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 10:02 AM PDT

    Hey all,

    I have had an idea running through my head recently and can't decide if it's a bad idea, or a good idea so I figured I'd ask everyone about it.

    I currently have 3 student loans, - Parent plus with $9,500 left at 7% (currently 0% through Sept.) - Private loan for $37,000 at 4.41% - Federal loans around 26k at 4%

    My current plan of attack is dump whatever I can at the private loans (originally 57k in 2016), and pay suggested payments on the parent plus loan, which ends up at 200 per month, and just throw the interest back at the federal. I plan to attack the federal last.

    If the parent plus loan was gone, I could throw the extra 200 per month towards the private loans, and have it payed off in around 3-4 years.

    Here's where my question comes in. I have about 11k in savings, which is enough to pay off the parent plus loan. But, given the current economic situation, draining my savings definitely scares me quite a bit.

    I have around 60k in my 401k (I'm 27 years old), and given how volatile the market is, I have thought about taking out about 5k in a loan, which amounts to about 90 bucks a month automatically getting taken out of my paycheck until I pay it back. Which I plan to repay once I get my savings back to where I want it.

    So if I take the 5k loan out, use 4.5k from my savings, i could free up more cash to dump on my private loans.

    Am I missing out on some risk here? I plan to pay the loan back in full, so no tax implications there.

    submitted by /u/jkhamp73
    [link] [comments]

    What determines if your loan is refunded back to you or just reduced

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 09:51 AM PDT

    Hi all! I hope this question kind of makes sense. I have taken out a couple of student loans in the last only to end up not needing as large of an amount as I thought. However I noticed that sometimes that amount gets refunded back to me, while other times, the loan itself is just reduced. What determines this?? Thank you in advanced!

    submitted by /u/IssaStack
    [link] [comments]

    Student Loan Forgiveness / Discharge

    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 09:23 AM PDT

    TL/DR - worked at Ashford and got free tuition - university allowed me to take out loans and gave full amount. is this ethical and would it qualify for forgiveness?

    Serious question about Forgiveness but here's some context as to why it's asked.

    In 2010 - I started working for Ashford University as a Financial Service Advisor. I had been working at GeekSquad for a few years before this and was excited to be able to work at a college. First, let me say that Ashford never even interviewed me in person before they hired me. I had a 1 phone interview and I had received an offer letter shortly after for something like $17/hr. I accepted but was weary due to the process. Nonetheless, I went through orientation and started working in their Downtown Office in San Diego. One of the Employee Benefits that Ashford employees have is that you get Employee Tuition Benefits. Meaning, you can go to school for free. So, I happily got started and started taking online classes while working at the University.

    Sounds all great, right? Well, After my first 3 weeks, I had an Enrollment Advisor basically hyping me up to apply for Student Loans; because we had the Employee Tuition Benefit, the University would literally give the Student Loan to the employee - all $9,500 of it (amount at the time). On top of that, we would get the Pell Grant in our pocket as well.

    My question is, Is this legal?

    Obviously, being an inexperienced young adult (22 at the time), I took the money and paid for the necessary books and got myself situated with a laptop and all the goods you could. I had just had my 2nd child at the time so the money slowly dwindled away.

    Fast forward to year 2 - well, of course - I did it again. (Why wouldn't I?) - got another student loan - in two disbursements and was stoked. It's a great feeling to get a $7k check in the mail.

    Needless to say, I've been paying back the student loans now for 7 years now and probably will for a long time to come. However, I am very curious on the legality of this type of practice. Obviously, I wasn't the only one to do this - and after my 2nd year, I wised up a bit and actually sent back the money considering the mounting debt I could see starting to take place. But again, for some reason this practice seems pretty unethical and tbh, I wish I didn't even do it. But does this fall under the Forgiveness guidelines?

    submitted by /u/diemcee
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment