• Breaking News

    Friday, June 5, 2020

    Financial Independence Daily FI discussion thread - June 05, 2020

    Financial Independence Daily FI discussion thread - June 05, 2020


    Daily FI discussion thread - June 05, 2020

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 01:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to have discussions which you don't feel warrant a new post to the sub. While the Rules for posting questions on the basics of personal finance/investing topics are relaxed a little bit here, the rules against memes/spam/self-promotion/excessive rudeness/politics still apply!

    Have a look at the FAQ for this subreddit before posting to see if your question is frequently asked.

    Since this post does tend to get busy, consider sorting the comments by "new" (instead of "best" or "top") to see the newest posts.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Another mental FI breakdown

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 10:33 AM PDT

    u/rflorant had a post recently about using a silver coin to represent each 100k saved for FI here https://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/comments/gw2qt9/the_freedom_chip_a_silver_dollar_representing/. It got me thinking again about milestones in general, and a way I've semi-consciously been categorizing it for myself.

    As this is a community passionate about tracking and understanding our expenses for obvious reasons, I find it leads to another way to set rough milestones. Take, for instance, food expenses. In my case, I spend about 250/month combined for groceries and eating out, so 3000 annually. Using a 3% assumed drawdown in retirement, that means 100k to replace food expenses.

    I've hit 100, that means food expenses are (theoretically) taken care of from now on!

    It's something that is personally a way to get excited, crossing categories off a list one by one. Utilities and subscriptions are about 200/month? Another 80k has been saved, that's another ongoing expense category that's been checked off. Car insurance and gas? Call it another 80, so on so forth.

    What do other people think? Does anyone else check things off in a similar way, and if you have a different method than this or something like the freedom chip, what do you use?

    submitted by /u/Lt_Pineapple
    [link] [comments]

    Where's all the content?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 06:35 PM PDT

    741,000 subscribers, and we get maybe 1-2 user-submitted posts per day that make it through the moderation filter here and end up on the "hot" feed. The last couple posts that I put thought/effort into were removed by the mods, despite being all but directly FIRE-related. What's the point of having a community if nobody can start discussions?

    submitted by /u/fupatroopa1
    [link] [comments]

    FIRE or Happiness or both

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 06:16 AM PDT

    Long time lurker, and trying to navigate my FIRE journey. I have a question I'm hoping someone could shed some light on.

    I work in government in a Northern European country. It is extremely safe, OK pay, great benefits and boring beyond belief. I do not like my job, and only a hand full of my colleagues. I also fundamentally believe the organisation is run wrong. It is so bureaucratic it hurts.

    I'm reaching a point at the job where I no longer grow, or advance in my position. It's a huge organisation with limited possibilities if you're not positioned near the top leadership.

    So the work is draining me, and I'm not happy. I can however "disappear" in the organisation as there are so many, I do not have a boss hanging over me, and opportunities for side gigs and extra income through other channels is strong.

    My question is, do you hang on to a job that is not fulfilling, but gives you and your family security, is not stressful while slowly working your way to retiring? I'm 37, financially OK, but have not started goal oriented savings.

    submitted by /u/Tom_bullit
    [link] [comments]

    Any normal retirees on this sub?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 05:07 PM PDT

    Congratulations on

    1) making it through normal working life 2) Being technologically savvy enough to use Reddit

    What are your thoughts on the FIRE path? What are we FIREees missing/ underestimating /overestimating?

    I'm most interested in finding out how much money you actually end up spending in retirement vs what's typically projected.

    submitted by /u/LifeScientist123
    [link] [comments]

    Weekly FI Frugal Friday thread - June 05, 2020

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 01:08 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to discuss how amazingly cheap you are. How do you keep your costs low? How do become frugal without taking it to the extremes of frupidity? What costs have you realized could be cut from your life without pain? Use this weekly post to discuss Frugality in general. While the Rules for posting questions on the basics of personal finance/investing topics are more relaxed here, the rules against memes/spam/self-promotion/excessive rudeness/politics still apply!

    Since this post does tend to get busy, consider sorting the comments by "new" (instead of "best" or "top") to see the newest posts.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment