• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 9, 2020

    A 60-second masterclass on selling. Ignore at your own peril. Sales and Selling

    A 60-second masterclass on selling. Ignore at your own peril. Sales and Selling


    A 60-second masterclass on selling. Ignore at your own peril.

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 10:34 PM PDT

    Pulled from Hacker News:

    "1. Sales is a lot like golf. You can make it so complicated as to be impossible or you can simply walk up and hit the ball. I've been leading and building sales orgs for almost 20 years and my advice is to walk up and hit the ball.

    1. Sales is about people and it's about problem solving. It is not about solutions or technology or chemicals or lines of code or artichokes. It's about people and it's about solving problems.

    2. People buy 4 things and 4 things only. Ever. Those 4 things are time, money, sex, and approval/peace of mind. If you try selling something other than those 4 things you will fail.

    3. People buy aspirin always. They buy vitamins only occasionally and at unpredictable times. Sell aspirin.

    4. I say in every talk I give: "all things being equal people buy from their friends. So make everything else equal then go make a lot of friends."

    5. Being valuable and useful is all you ever need to do to sell things. Help people out. Send interesting posts. Write birthday cards. Record videos sharing your ideas for growing their business. Introduce people who would benefit from knowing each other then get out of the way, expecting nothing in return. Do this consistently and authentically and people will find ways to give you money. I promise.

    6. No one cares about your quota, your payroll, your opex, your burn rate, etc. No one. They care about the problem you are solving for them.

    There is more than 100 trillion dollars in the global economy just waiting for you to breathe it in. Good luck."

    submitted by /u/gsifers
    [link] [comments]

    "I am your ONLY contact!"

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 01:31 PM PDT

    Curious if you guys have experienced the following scenario:

    You demo one of the points of contact at a company in your book. You followup with them, but they never get back to you. You're ghosted. (If I stopped here I'm sure everyone's answer would be yes...)

    So, because your POC hasn't gotten back to you, you start reaching out to other people at the same company who might have decision making authority.

    But as soon as you do that, the original POC reaches back out to you all pissed off that you'd have the gaul to go around them.

    Today I got an angry LinkedIn message from someone I hadn't spoken to in months after she stopped returning my calls. Apparently she's pissed I reached out to others, especially on their leadership team. She literally included in the message a line about how she is my ONLY contact at this company. Says who??

    People like this make me want to spam everyone who's ever worked for the company...

    submitted by /u/ZwischenzugZugzwang
    [link] [comments]

    Does switching industries hurt long term?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 02:08 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    I was an SDR for 1.5 years at a software company, now looking for the next gig. I have a few great conversations going in interviews, and one of my favorite is actually in outsourced services.

    Does it hurt my long-term career if I am switching industries this early in my career? Or does it make sense to employers to try and find my spot? I always had the mindset of just going to a company that provides the most value, regardless of business model.

    submitted by /u/GoldFeeling
    [link] [comments]

    Have you ever felt like your growth was stunted?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 04:19 PM PDT

    tl;dr in the bottom

    I work as an inside rep at a very large VAR of IT solutions. If you work in sales at Dell, HP, etc., you probably know who we are. Got the role ~ 4 months back, with 3 months or so on the sales floor. First job out of college.

    My role, and company at large, is bureaucratic, slow, and inefficient. We're responsible for all outbound/outreach and traditional account management as well, as far as placing orders, applying for discounts with different vendors, making quotes, etc. We have over 100 partners and they each have their own rules and regulations; I've definitely improved at working the system but no matter what it's still a system. Turnaround time for me to get a quote together is minimum a week because I spend so much time waiting on our resources to reply.

    Moreover, I sell to the public sector and IT procurement cycles tend to be very long (9 months +). I knew it would be slow to start in this position, but not this slow. I've made a few sales, with more to come, but relative to my training class I'm somewhat better off despite not performing very well at all. A friend of mine just got his first quoting opportunity 3 months in. It's commonly said here that you need an entire year to establish yourself with your accounts, with the following years collecting bounties, which is all fine but...

    I don't feel like I'm learning anything.

    This job is just about pivoting between solutions. I've barely been given a script/guidelines to pull this off and feel like there's too much to digest at a company with over 100 partners. I'm not learning how to persuade, how to get prospects to agree to demos, how to provide value, I'm not learning much of anything save for asking questions until I find a need we can provide. I could deal with the fact that's it boring, cumbersome work, but I hate the feeling that I'm not growing as a person professionally at all.

    I got into sales because I wanted to learn how to close. I wanted to be challenged and grow my skills of persuasion, networking, negotiation, etc. It also seemed like an incredible challenge; I'm very type A and thrive in high-pressure environments. I don't feel like I'm much more qualified to make a cold call now than I was 3 months ago. I have a few accounts that I can call on who I'm on a first name basis with, but for the most part I have next to no confidence in my ability to actually drum up new business or understand the nuances of a successful cold call. In fact, I wouldn't say it at work, but each of those accounts feels like a fluke to me. I don't feel like I actually did anything to earn their business or their trust. They were just more open to working with a new provider, which is great for my commission, sure, but I'm more concerned with building skills and growing as a professional, especially at this point in my career.

    Does anyone have advice? I ask my manager questions often but it's like I'll ask a question and he'll answer it and 7 additional questions as well and just leave me kind of confused. I've considered looking into a coach, because these skills are important to me, but they're expensive, and even if I start to crush it I'm not sure if 'crushing it' at my company will really be worth the investment. It's a given I need to change companies at some point but with COVID and my lack of experience I know I'll need to grit my teeth for the foreseeable future.

    Any advice deeply appreciated.

    tl;dr: Don't feel like I'm learning anything in my convoluted inside AE role at a large company. Can't leave yet. Want to improve my skills but not sure how.

    submitted by /u/nme112
    [link] [comments]

    Alternatives to ZoomInfo?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 05:05 PM PDT

    Big fan of ZoomInfo, but I'm doing a consulting gig for a start-up, and they don't have the budget to drop $25k on their software.
    Are there any other good reliable data sources that are similar but cheaper?
    I need to download about 2,500-5,000 records over the next month.

    submitted by /u/DJwaynes
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on Switching from Aerospace Engineering to Sales?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 04:27 PM PDT

    TLDR: How do I move from mechanical/aerospace engineering to a technical sales role, possibly in SaaS?

    I have been working at a major defense contractor for the last ~3 years as a systems engineer and have been looking to make a career change. I knew late in my college career as an aerospace engineering student that I would eventually transition out of engineering. If I could go back and do it all over again I think I would either be a CS major or a Business major, but that's all in the past now.

    Despite most of my education preparing me in the world of mechanics, structures, and fluids, most of my work is on the networking and software side of aerospace vehicles. And now I've gotten to the point where I'm far more interested in the application of software/networking than I used to be. That has led to a stronger interest in the tech industry (SaaS) than in the aerospace industry.

    That being said, being an engineer doesn't interest me any longer. My favorite parts of my job are interacting with leadership, developers, and customers to suggest and develop capabilities, but I'm not particularly fond of the implementation aspect of it. I have met a few technical sales people and the way they describe their job seems very appealing to me. I love the idea that you can interact with lots of people, talk technical details, close the sale, and move on to the next customer. Furthermore, I know they also make good money which is one aspect that I do appreciate about engineering. Unfortunately I currently have no sales experience.

    At my job I currently have the following general responsibilities and skills:

    • Work with end users and customer leadership to recommend and define improvements to software/network capabilities, and then work with software developers to develop, test, and deliver those features
    • Provide on site support to show customers how to use the product and to troubleshoot issues they are having
    • Serve as point of contact between customers and engineering teams, frequently connecting users to subject matter experts when I am not skilled in that area

    My question is, what sort of sales jobs (if any) would make sense for a next move for me? As a side note, I'm definitely willing to move to where the work is.

    I have been looking at AE roles, but it seems like the prevailing sentiment is that you first need to be an SDR. I don't mind working my way up via the SDR path except for the part where it may be a HUGE pay cut for a year or two (depending on where you go of course). I am considering Account Manager (AM) positions as it seems more in line with my current experience with a little bit of sales mixed in. This one seems like a good option, but I don't think I fit the usual mold of coming from sales support or a business background. Finally I am considering sales engineer positions, but my only concern is that I don't think I qualify as a technical expert by any means.

    Thank you very much for your help!

    submitted by /u/sweet_t_returns
    [link] [comments]

    Great opportunity in a fast growing company

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 11:15 AM PDT

    Hi All,

    I used to have these guys as a client so I can't apply due to some non-compete clauses but this company is on the way up.

    https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1865679684/

    submitted by /u/shaggymule
    [link] [comments]

    Where would you find a list of ecommerce brands? Any ideas that are NOT incredibly expensive subscriptions like zoominfo, etc.

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 02:52 PM PDT

    Pretty self explanatory. I'd imagine there are plenty of people in here who sell products to ecomm brands. I'd love some advice on ways to find giant lists of ecomm companies.

    I've had access to crunchbase in the past. The results became more lackluster as time went on... I use Apollo and I love it... WHEN you already have the company's web address... I've also been using it for ages... and last but not least xpareto.com is something I may dig back into... as I found it a fairly good resource.

    I have a team in India that's good at cleaning the data, but not necessarily finding these companies.

    (Also, side-note, if you do go through mass amounts of data, this company has been GREAT. Techno Height is their name and they're $3 an hour. Happy to make introductions.)

    Thanks for all your help, and maybe my few resources might help you as well.

    submitted by /u/oldballls
    [link] [comments]

    Anybody have experience with companies that train SDR's for job placement?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 10:44 AM PDT

    Hey all I have been applying everywhere for SDR positions at tech companies when I recently came across a job posting via linkedin and they claim to train you on all the tactics and the skills you need to become a great SDR. They say its an apprenticeship and will pay you while they train you and place you at a tech company. Sounds to good to be true in my opinion. Has anybody had experience with anything like this?

    submitted by /u/slice-o-apple-pie
    [link] [comments]

    Email vs Cold Calls - which is better?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 12:39 PM PDT

    Joking, though I have a preference for calling. Just curious if any SDR made quota from emails only or mostly? Curious how much time investing in emails is worth?

    submitted by /u/pineappleban
    [link] [comments]

    Am I destined to fail at sales?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 10:25 AM PDT

    I've been at it for three months. Slaving away. Having activity that's world class.

    I've worked on my Tonality Body language Script Attitude Activity Etc etc

    Yet I underperform so fucking hard.

    Some of my colleagues don't care at all. They say stupid things. They dress trashy, make somewhat offensive jokes to customers, are extremely pushy. Don't even have pauses in their script, they just burn through. And they kill it.

    I've been trying to analyse everything and learn.

    I've asked my boss and people around me to spot what I do wrong. Nobody can really say what.

    I don't even book as many meetings to present my deal.

    Like why can't I get it?

    I don't want to think people are born to sell or its their looks, color, height etc etc.

    But I literally can't figure it out.

    Any sales book I've read I've tried to make a good habit of using etc etc.

    Yet my results are a roller coaster.

    Anybody who has the same experience or have witnessed something like this?

    I work hard. Try to adapt. Listening. Watching. Trying to learn.

    submitted by /u/sannisen89
    [link] [comments]

    Landed my first sales job!

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 04:23 PM PDT

    I was offered a position as a Business Development Associate this week, and I accepted! I will be starting in about a month. I am making a complete career change, and I am very excited, but at the same time anxious. Starting over again and not knowing what to expect can be scary. Im stepping out of my comfort zone because I believe thats the only way you can truly grow. I know its the right decision, but Im also coming from a family who is not very supportive of this decision which at times makes me second guess myself, but Im going to keep pushing through those thoughts.

    submitted by /u/OwnSuggestion7
    [link] [comments]

    top quality/character trait of successful salespeople?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 04:03 PM PDT

    If you had to distill every successful salesperson you know what would you say is a common character trait amongst them all?

    submitted by /u/thoughtsforgotten
    [link] [comments]

    Insight would be appreciated, have sales departments basically moved away from selling to SMB/Corporate segments because of the current climate?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 04:00 PM PDT

    Really would appreciate some insight from sales leaders or others working in SaaS; I was a SDR for a pretty rapidly growing SaaS company until my entire class was laid offf a few weeks ago (what are you gonna do) and in the search for a new role I'm seeing every company only has listings for enterprise segments. (for both SDRs and AES) Checked in with a friend from my previous company and he had actually been promoted from corporate segment to enterprise much quicker than he anticipated along with a few others. Have companies basically decided as a whole to not put the cost into selling to small business because of the lower ARR?

    submitted by /u/craftbeergoggles
    [link] [comments]

    sales job in SAAS with travel ? My questions never get answers in this sub lol ��

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 03:40 PM PDT

    I am interested in eventually having a position where I can travel (I am aware travelling for work isnt all that great often and glamorous etc etc etc but still lol)

    are there specific industries within the SAAS space (i.e. FinTech) or roles (i.e. AE?) that get to travel more internationally?

    so i can look into being a SDR in those types of companies and work my way there.

    I just want to make sure i start my career in a way that i can end up where i want and not delay it further as i am not fresh out of college, so dont want to waste time

    submitted by /u/better-ever
    [link] [comments]

    Question about selling cars

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 03:10 PM PDT

    First, my biggest question is that, is their some sort of website that shows a history of the car? For example I want to be able to type a car make/model/year > then filter by "sold" and "used" and see how much people sold that specific car for?

    I know about Kelly blue book but I don't want to see how much my car is currently going for but how much it has been sold for in the past 3-6 months.

    Second, any tips to selling cars in general?

    submitted by /u/mateyman
    [link] [comments]

    Im 16 yo and want to start cold calling for my agency, I natively speak spanish but I think I'm very fluent in English. My question is: does having a native accent and fluency has something to do when setting up appointments?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 02:17 PM PDT

    How to turn down demo requests (saas)

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 01:04 PM PDT

    Curious on how folks turn away demo requests (that arent qualified) politely? You know the prospect doesn't have budget, this is a sheer waste of your time to agree.

    For context, self-serve non-business plans in my company dont get human contact to answer questions (they get a chatbot, help page, and Twitter help). So Marketo sends a tonne of leads that are actually just frustrated self-serve category customers looking for answers/free tutorial.

    Any tips? Majority are polite and accept my response explaining demos are for enterprise customers - but some are difficult "WeLL I'm open to considering that plan let's proceed".

    submitted by /u/birdiebear86
    [link] [comments]

    Sales Engineer: Where to start?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 08:15 AM PDT

    Ever since I was a kid, I've had no idea what I wanted to do. No idea at all. However, recently I was recommended a book to read on this front, and I came across sales engineering.

    This is exactly what I've been looking for. I've recently graduated with a First Class Honors in Mechanical Engineering, but ultimately my degree showed that whilst I'm certainly fond on engineering, I don't think I'm actually fond of what being a design engineer entails. I was going to just go into finance and take the safe route.

    As a guy who's always been good at maths, has a good education in engineering, and also is pretty good in social situations and problem solving, this is exactly what I want.

    However, all my CV has to show for me is a few shitty part-time jobs, my degree, and the fact that I was vice president of the Debate Society at my uni. Not really enough to go straight into a position as a sales engineer, and my online research confirms they normally want people with some experience.

    So.. where should I go to get experience if this is my goal? I live on an island and jobs in engineering are non-existent, so I'm going to have to move to the mainland to get this career rolling. Anyone got any other advice?

    submitted by /u/Socawo
    [link] [comments]

    What’s your response to “We are good with what we are currently using/doing”?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 11:14 AM PDT

    I sell for a leading supplier within the pharmaceutical, food, chemical industry. One of my main objections is:

    "We are good with what we are currently using"

    What is the best way to respond to that? I've tried a few different responses but curious as to how you all respond to that.

    submitted by /u/megalymor
    [link] [comments]

    Am I destined to fail at sales?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 10:31 AM PDT

    I've been at it for three months. Slaving away. Having activity that's world class.

    I've worked on my Tonality Body language Script Attitude Activity Etc etc

    Yet I underperform so fucking hard.

    Some of my colleagues don't care at all. They say stupid things. They dress trashy, make somewhat offensive jokes to customers, are extremely pushy. Don't even have pauses in their script, they just burn through. And they kill it.

    I've been trying to analyse everything and learn.

    I've asked my boss and people around me to spot what I do wrong. Nobody can really say what.

    I don't even book as many meetings to present my deal.

    Like why can't I get it?

    I don't want to think people are born to sell or its their looks, color, height etc etc.

    But I literally can't figure it out.

    Any sales book I've read I've tried to make a good habit of using etc etc.

    Yet my results are a roller coaster.

    Anybody who has the same experience or have witnessed something like this?

    I work hard. Try to adapt. Listening. Watching. Trying to learn.

    I know people sometimes believe they work and are in reality very lazy. But I work my ass off.

    submitted by /u/legend503
    [link] [comments]

    AE keeps moving meetings

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 10:28 AM PDT

    My AE keeps moving the meetings I set up for them. It's difficult to rearrange with the prospect and has led to lost meetings as the prospect says to touch base in the future after I come back asking to rearrange our meeting.

    Their excuse ranges from dentists appointment, to wanting senior leadership on the call (for a first call), to having another meeting an hour later which they need to prep for.

    This has happened three times in the past few week- I'm worried about losing a few meetings here. Mostly just voicing my frustration here.

    submitted by /u/pineappleban
    [link] [comments]

    Am I destined to fail at sales?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 10:27 AM PDT

    I've been at it for three months. Slaving away. Having activity that's world class.

    I've worked on my Tonality Body language Script Attitude Activity Etc etc

    Yet I underperform so fucking hard.

    Some of my colleagues don't care at all. They say stupid things. They dress trashy, make somewhat offensive jokes to customers, are extremely pushy. Don't even have pauses in their script, they just burn through. And they kill it.

    I've been trying to analyse everything and learn.

    I've asked my boss and people around me to spot what I do wrong. Nobody can really say what.

    I don't even book as many meetings to present my deal.

    Like why can't I get it?

    I don't want to think people are born to sell or its their looks, color, height etc etc.

    But I literally can't figure it out.

    Any sales book I've read I've tried to make a good habit of using etc etc.

    Yet my results are a roller coaster.

    Anybody who has the same experience or have witnessed something like this?

    I work hard. Try to adapt. Listening. Watching. Trying to learn.

    I know people sometimes believe they work and are in reality very lazy. But I work my ass off.

    submitted by /u/legend503
    [link] [comments]

    LinkedIn "Influencers"

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 10:01 AM PDT

    What do you make of these self proclaimed "influencers" who have taken over LinkedIn with their videos and "expert" advise on sales?

    submitted by /u/jkiv215
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment