• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 7, 2020

    3 marketing hacks that helped me grow my side project to 1k visitors/month and 390 subscribers in 2 months Entrepreneur

    3 marketing hacks that helped me grow my side project to 1k visitors/month and 390 subscribers in 2 months Entrepreneur


    3 marketing hacks that helped me grow my side project to 1k visitors/month and 390 subscribers in 2 months

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 03:40 AM PDT

    When you start a side project from scratch, you literally don't have anything. No one knows about you, google doesn't know about you and won't index you even in the 5th page of search results.

    That's why you need to find ways to attract eyes, which will eventually attract users and create interest around your product.

    In the last 2 months, I've been growing Open Startup List to ~1K visitors per month and 390 email subscribers. Using these tactics I will share below, you can do so to.

    1. Build in the open

    Open Startups build in the open, this makes their product into a marketing machine, they share numbers no other ordinary company shares (traffic and revenue). People are drawn to these products out of curiosity and tweet and share about these open startups.

    Conclusion - people are curious by nature, use it to your advantage.

    2. Blog posts are the missing piece

    When I started with Open Startup List, I had only a list of open startups with some interesting links, but not much to support growth. I was looking for ways to differentiate myself from similar lists. I decided I would reach out to founders listed on my website and ask to interview them. Luckily, they were thrilled to be featured in my blog (who wouldn't, that's free SEO), and for me it meant - Growth. This way, once I published a blog post, they naturally shared it with their networks as well. That's free marketing 101.

    3. Be human

    When ever I talk with an interviewee about posting an interview, I do my best to show them my appreciation but also that I will make sure they're absolutely happy with the content piece I'm creating with them. Every step of the way until I publish it and even afterwards. This is how you nurture business relationships, this is how you keep good connections with users. This is how you grow as a person, entrepreneur and as a business.

    The combination of these 3 tips is why I got to where I got with Open Startup List, and these are lessons I will take to any other side project in the future.

    Feel free to visit Open Startup List or read the blog interviews.

    submitted by /u/reCAPTCHA_shape
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice for a low paying and lying client.

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 07:26 AM PDT

    I own an online Python tutoring business, I charge $25 an hour, I tutor and I also have people who work under me. ($25 twice a week). This is my first business, I am a college student.

    For one parent, he told me he really would appreciate if I charged $20 for his daughter and I said that would be fine because of how much he insisted.

    He proceeded to text me and say, "Thanks for doing 15 beautiful girl". I was so angry but for specific reasons I thought it would be fine. (you can pm me if you want the reason)

    Now this father (who has proved to be kind of mean toward his kids, I don't know that I'd say abusive) is asking me if I can take his daughter for 3 classes per week.

    normal client:

    2 classes = $50

    3 classes = $75

    this guy:

    2 classes = $30

    3 classes = $45 <----bad!!

    So 3 classes a week for him would be LESS THAN THE PRICE FOR ANOTHER KID TO TAKE 2. Not to mention his kid takes more time than others (but is a sweetheart), I deal with technical issues every time in which the dad is unable to help his kid, and this man lies to get out of things all the time.

    At this point I feel like telling him off every time I have a lesson with his daughter. I have kept my composure for long enough but I also do not want to derail my business because I got mad at one dad.

    He knows I have extra spots to book his daughter for another hour each week but I really do not want to.

    Should I tell him I can only do 3 lessons at full price? OR Just refuse giving him 3 lessons a week with no reason. ("Unfortunately that will not be possible at the time being")

    submitted by /u/wealthchaserstudent
    [link] [comments]

    Its been 5 years now! how time flies as the owner of a bagel shop

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 07:12 PM PDT

    So every year in June, I do a post on here to give an update on the business my partner and i purchased in June 2015. This year has obviously been crazy, so i will try to keep things very short, and sweet, since Im sure people are reading doing other important things. I almost wasnt going to post this year, but here i am! I will do my best to answer any questions and give any advice i can. Thanks for reading guys!

    So really quick backstory, we purchased a bagel shop in 2015 for $165K. Ill attach links to each update, so you can read them if your interested.

    2019 https://www.reddit.com/r/smallbusiness/comments/cl8dvl/success_as_a_bagel_shop_owner_year_4_complete/

    2018 https://www.reddit.com/r/smallbusiness/comments/8ueecf/wow_its_already_year_of_owning_my_first_small/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

    2017 https://www.reddit.com/r/smallbusiness/comments/6inm0g/30_growth_our_2nd_year_in_the_books_of_owning_a/

    2016 https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/43aeny/the_good_the_bad_the_bagel/

    The numbers

    Real quick ill brush thru our 19-20' numbers, tho they aren't quite complete as June 30th is the end of our fiscal year. We are currently averaging $1478/day this fiscal year, with May 2020 setting our all time daily average record at $1715/day. We have seen a 17% yr/yr growth, inline with the previous years 20%. we probably would have exceeded that, had the SIP/Cv-19 disaster not occurred. We will likely do $525k in gross revenue, depending on June goes. Thats from the previous owners final year of $160k and our first year of $209k, in just about 500sqft of space. One of the single biggest implements this year, (learned from last years post!!) was the using is SPLH. This tool has drastically improved our bottom line, as we went from $38-42 pre-learning, to $46-$55 post. This, coupled with improved efficiency and better staff training has led to our most profitable year yet. WE actually got to make a little money finally, which was nice. Me and my partner are now taking home $50k each along with some benefits paid thru the business, such as healthcare and car. Thats basically double what we made any year before. We also paid off virtually off the business debt by March, which coincidentally, came in handy.

    Our building was purchased last Fall, by a local Real estate investor. This has actually been wonderful. While we did see a nearly doubling of our rent, from $1100/mo to $1950, this guy really cares. He is spear heading a huge gentrification project in our district. He is a born and raised local, and has created a community of business in this district. I couldn't be happier. They have done many repairs to the building, have already spend thousands helping our business, (new AC, repairs, improvements) with more to come. They have hooked us up with a local print shop that now does all our merch, who we really love! We are also locked into a 5 year lease. The new owner literal stops by for breakfast several times a week. So, overall, its been very positive. While our rent cost has increased, the overall benefit has far outweighed that.

    Year over year Daily Average sales starting July 2015

    https://imgur.com/a/W9t0Yod

    Daily Average since July 2015

    https://imgur.com/a/iLMDGsw

    CV-19 / SIP

    So the biggest challenge for any business this year has been Covid. As you can see in the graph above, it really hit hard. Initially, we watched sales drop 40-65% during the first 3 weeks, from March 20th- April 5th. But after the Easter Holiday, we saw steadily rebounding sales, which lead to a record May. How did we have success? We, for us, it was the right time/place. A lot of luck involved. See, we are fast casual restaurant, with a very small lobby. We only had 14 indoor seats before CV19. We also moved to serving food to-go only in 2018. So, basically, when the disaster hit, it did not change our existing business model hardly at all. Our low price point, fast service, and strong local base, helped a lot. A big chunk of our customer base are local essential workers, from LEO, public utility, public works, county, and Hospital staff. Our badge discount, friendly staff, and food all helped keep people coming. We got extra lucky from the layout of store. We were able to close the lobby, and convert out window into a order/pickup windows in an afternoon of rearranging. Coupled with it being spring, we have actually continued keeping our lobby closed and only serving thru our windows, while doing record sales. we also picked up 2 delivery services, Doordash and Grubhub, both which take slightly less percentage wise, allow us to raise prices on their end, and set up custom menus. Those were huge, as after the initial 2 weeks, we started seeing $200-400/ day in delivery sales, and that has carried on. And i was worried about cannibalizing some of our regulars, but have actually picked up a lot of new foot traffic from those services. Also, before the crisis hit, we already accepted all digital payments (venmo, cashapp, paypal, samsung, google). So moving to a touch-less call in system with fast pickup was no issue.

    Image of the front of the shop https://imgur.com/a/1NZo7B2 . As you can see, our window layout really was lucky, and allowed us a great setup.

    We have also been able to retain our staff, which was huge. There were initial hour reductions, but as sales picked up ,and we got out PPP, we are now back to full hours, and have since hired 2 new people! We somewhat felt bad for getting a PPP, when we havent truly needed it, so we have made a big effort to buy the stuff lunches several times a week from other LOCAL establishments, with a big focus on local! We have also worked to increase what we purchase supplies wise from local companies. We also gave our staff bonuses, and some even received raises, to help stimulate the local econ.

    I will be glad to answer any questions i can. I am so very thankful for the wonderful support we have received from our community ,and that we can still provide an excellent service to our community. If i have failed to cover anything or you would like to know anything, just ask or PM me!

    submitted by /u/truckeeriverfisher
    [link] [comments]

    Calling All European Start-Ups!

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 08:39 AM PDT

    I am a young French start-up founder with a problem. European Business efforts are very disjointed and separate even though we have a lot of support amongst EU countries in working together. To try and promote a EU Start-Up community, I was considering creating a Discord for us to collaborate, spitball or even plan projects. Please comment below if you are interested. Preferably those who already have a business or a business concept. Thank you

    submitted by /u/JohnDickCockerfeller
    [link] [comments]

    Should I hire a lawyer?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 08:13 AM PDT

    I just got a freelance copywriting gig.

    So far, it's an oral agreement, but I'm keen to make the offer concrete. I'm thinking of making the client sign a contract. My question is do I need to hire a lawyer to negotiate/draft/review my contract terms?

    Is it worth the money or should I just do it myself? What do you guys do when writing up contracts? I don't mind spending the money, as long as it's an investment, and I know it will protect me. Another question I had is what happens if the other party refuses to sign the contract. I may lose a potential client. I'm not very sure how to go about it. Any thoughts folks?

    submitted by /u/haphazardwizardofoz
    [link] [comments]

    An App Designed to make work from home experience more balanced

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 10:14 AM PDT

    This is a design project that aims to ease problems that are faced by people during lockdown. This is an idea for an application that focuses on personalised wellbeing for people living in lockdown.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSNyfHA-WcI

    submitted by /u/Sir_Emergency
    [link] [comments]

    What kind of business would this be considered?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 11:40 AM PDT

    So I've been interested in starting a business for a while that would essentially exist to provide operational resources to small businesses that could otherwise not afford them on their own.

    For example, if a business wanted to expand their marketing but couldn't afford to bring on a full time marketing person, for a one-time or ongoing retainer fee, they could go to this larger firm that would be able to create a campaign or completely take over their marketing with a team of professionals as part of their "portfolio" that would provide better quality content at a lower price than what it would cost the small business to hire their own marketing person.

    Ideally this business could provide services like this for all aspects of operations from management to finance to marketing and everything in between. To my knowledge this is somewhat similar to business solutions or venture capital without the firm actually investing in an ownership stake in the small business.

    So would this be considered something like consulting or business solutions? And are there companies like this already? Are they considered good a business to try to get into? Thanks in advance for any input

    submitted by /u/vipor3d
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone landscape design/build guys seeking synergistic partnership with a deck contractor in Bucks/Montco & eastern NJ?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 07:26 AM PDT

    We have been in business almost 30 years.We build approx. 300-400 projects a year in these areas and are seeking subs for our patio/landscape work. We sell a good amount of patios as well but not currently looking to do the work 'in house'. It is a good situation as we do all of the design work, selling the customer, follow up meetings and all permit work including sealed architectural plans. We also supply all materials on site. Just bring your expertise, tools and equipment. Must have all required licenses and insurances. If you think this may be a good fit, I'd love to talk

    submitted by /u/btklc
    [link] [comments]

    I'm a graphic designer and want to develop a business.

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 08:50 AM PDT

    Hey,

    [INTRO] I'm 25, working as a graphic designer, can do multimedia design, web/mobile interfaces, branding materials, online ads banners/videos, etc., focusing on both vision and aesthetics.

    Additionaly, I'm interested in marketing, user experience and building brands.

    [WHAT'S NEXT?] I want to start a business (or at least to prepare for it), but I have no idea what business, what to do for this goal and how to do it. I've read some books on UX, Psychology and "Success", but I don't have a clear vision on this.

    The business doesn't have to be related to graphic design, but I think I would have a valuable input on this field.

    [CONCLUSION] I'm willing to gain knowledge, but also move closer to the goal of being an entrepreneur. I'm fine doing everything myself or with a team, but I tend to focus on myself for a while. Can you please give me some advice?

    submitted by /u/LuxBiciz
    [link] [comments]

    An idea for a company came to me in a dream last night, and I have no idea how to get there

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 02:31 PM PDT

    I had a dream last night of a company.

    Subscription-based, you go on an app and customize how you like a certain food/drink product and a shipment gets delivered to you every month

    We had merch, environmentally conscious packaging, everything.

    Now I have 0 experience in running anything, other than what I passively learn on Shark Tank. I'm a service manager at a restaurant. I don't know about app-building, manufacturing, licensing, etc. but I just woke up thinking "this".

    What are some good starting points for me? Obviously, I'd imagine I have to learn about a lot of things first, and I'm totally up for it.

    submitted by /u/spwf
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for opening a drive-in movie theatre

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 02:27 PM PDT

    I had the thought recently that there could be a strong market for a drive-in movie theatre due to covid-19 fears and indoor theatres closing. I've been doing research for the past few days looking into what would be required. I live in a town of around 20,000 people, and the closest drive-in is a 1 hour drive.

    What are some potential problems that come to mind?

    What are the biggest things that a drive-in theatre owner would have to worry about?

    Do you think there is a market for drive-ins now more so than there was before covid-19 hit?

    submitted by /u/roughravenrider
    [link] [comments]

    Any good books on debt?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 10:16 AM PDT

    Are there any books you guys recommend on debt? Leveraging debt or not having any at all etc

    submitted by /u/cant__find__username
    [link] [comments]

    Designing for lockdown.

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 10:13 AM PDT

    https://youtu.be/LSNyfHA-WcI

    Hey guys please have a look at this. We wondered how we could design for a lockdown that lasts longer. This is an idea for an application that focuses on personalised wellbeing for people living in lockdown.

    Thank you so much! Your critique is highly valued!!

    submitted by /u/mountainloop
    [link] [comments]

    Selling t-shirts with lyrics or quotes on them

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 01:22 PM PDT

    So I have no experience selling shirts or much knowledge of copyright law, but I was just wondering what the deal is with selling shirts with lyrics or quotes on them. For example, what if I sold a shirt that said, "Time, she's a fast old train. She's here then she's gone and she won't come again." That is a direct lyric from a Townes Van Zandt song. Let's say I print that on a shirt and try to sell it on Zazzle or Redbubble or Etsy. I assume this is technically illegal, although I may never be sued for it, since he is a slightly more obscure artist who is dead, and it's not a well known line.

    Another example would be a quote from a show. In the first episode of Stranger Things, chief Hopper says something like, "Morning's are for coffee and contemplation." I searched that on Zazzle and saw many shirts with that quote on it. Is that technically illegal, but they just haven't been sued? Or is that different than using a song lyric?

    submitted by /u/Jantonsoup
    [link] [comments]

    Custom newsletter per subscriber

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 01:09 PM PDT

    I'm looking for a newsletter service like Mailchimp but in more powerful.

    I'd like people to choose what they are interested in with a checkbox. So instead of just entering their email like you see everywhere on Internet. They enter their email and tick the checkbox.

    And then, everyday/week they receive 1 email containing everything they're interested in:

    [my logo]

    [block text of category 1]

    [block text of category 2]

    So if a person only tick 1 box. Then he would see only [block text of category 1]

    And if a person only tick 3 box. Then he would see only 3 blocks of text for the 3 categories.

    Of course, all the block of text for each category would be pre-made in this way day1, day 3, day 7...

    Do you know a service that can do that?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/pauldupont34
    [link] [comments]

    I need advice on pricing models for a lead generation company that outsources your inside sales team.

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 01:01 PM PDT

    Outsourced Inside Sales (Demand Gen.); I have expertise in this; 1 year; Profitable and growing; To employ 10 happy employees; Working for the 'Man'

    submitted by /u/SellingWhileBrown
    [link] [comments]

    Which Landing Page Do You Prefer? - Lawyer Based (Any Other Criticism Welcome!)

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 11:33 AM PDT

    I have tried to make this Landing Page as short and snappy as possible and have finally got Multi-Step forms working correctly on Unbounce but can't decide on the background.

    I know the obvious answer is to A/B test it but I thought I would get some opinions beforehand incase people think any/both the backgrounds are terrible.

    Any other Criticism on the Landing Page is also appreciated.

    (Only works on PC / Laptop - Not mobile Devices)

    1: http://unbouncepages.com/debt-test-background-1/

    2: http://unbouncepages.com/debt-test-background-2/

    (I have removed any client information for obvious reasons)

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/UniDropout1
    [link] [comments]

    Providing Mentorship to Underrepresented Minorities

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 11:19 AM PDT

    Looking to give back / provide mentorship (especially to underrepresented minorities). I can provide help around strategy, business analysis/planning, finance, capital raising, etc. Happy to help out in whatever way I can.

    Background: I am currently in private equity and have prior experience in investment banking. I went to a public university and am an minority myself.

    submitted by /u/manatee_chode
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone wants copy written for free?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 10:54 AM PDT

    Why would someone want to write copy for free? The writer seems stupid for wanting to waste time writing something of value and not getting paid for it right?

    Well, most writers go by the saying that giving out value for free will bring new clients and new learnings about the field he is writing in. So by writing copy, and wasting time on it, the writer would make YOU money, he would help YOU and in return receive feedback, which he would use to improve.

    So, back to the question, why would someone want copy written for free? Well, they would get more sales and actually give someone a chance to succeed. There are many entrepreneurs nowadays that became big because someone gave them a chance. Wouldn't you like to be one of those people?

    If you'd like ME to writte some copy for YOU, just say so. DM me or answer this post. I don't want money in return, I just want some feedback, and if my copy gets you results, some referrals :)

    submitted by /u/gueinibba
    [link] [comments]

    The Locus Rule has helped me focus on the work that I can control

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 10:18 AM PDT

    During these challenging times, it can be tricky to know exactly what you can do to make a difference or change things for the better. It certainly seems like a lot of things are out of our control. But, the thing that has helped me is to get a clearer idea of what is within my Circle of Influence.

    Your Circle of Influence and Locus of Control encompasses all of the things that you can impact and control. Focusing on that can allow you to strengthen you locus of control and take responsibility for your life and the environment around you.

    I've expanded on how you can approach this here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOxjTY8fWRc. It seems like it's even more important now, given the times that we are living in. My suggestion would be to gain clarity on your Circle of Influence so that you can direct all of your energy towards that instead of draining yourself with all the other concerns that you cannot control.

    submitted by /u/Chellz93
    [link] [comments]

    What are some questions to ask entrepreneurs to learn from them?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 09:09 AM PDT

    I recently landed a small intern role in an edtech startup, and I have the opportunity to work the founder sometimes. I feel like I want to learn as much from them but a lot of times I don't know what to ask. What are some questions that you would ask? Broad/specific doesn't matter.

    submitted by /u/sealy__
    [link] [comments]

    Articles of Organization/Other documents - Do I need an attorney?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 08:50 AM PDT

    This is the first LLC I ever created. I tried to open a bank account and realized they wanted the "Articles of Organization", but I haven't received this in the mail, at least not yet.

    I'm in Pennsylvania, and I applied, received a notice that it was filed with the state, and then mailed in for an Article of Good Standing, but haven't received it yet.

    Does this mean I do not have articles of good standing yet? If so, is it easy to do by myself?

    Is there anything else I need to do to protect myself? I watched a video on creating some kind of document that states how I will pay myself (in a single member LLC) and I forget what the document is called. Anyone know? Is this something I can make myself too?

    Thanks a ton for anyone that helps!

    submitted by /u/fobreezee
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use brand name that already exists?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 08:14 AM PDT

    Can I use brand name that already exists?

    For example: Dan Bilzerian's brand is called "Ignite", but there are other companies with the same name. Is this actually legal? Can I do the same thing?

    submitted by /u/MilkAtNight
    [link] [comments]

    Is this worth it?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 08:10 AM PDT

    I've been working on creating an affordable skincare company, a way to relax without breaking the bank. I wanted to do this for men and women so that they can feel good about their skin. By building relationships for relief and building better ways to take care of your skin. To kick start this I've planned to spend a big chunk of money and a lot of time investing in this business. Though recently I've felt like what if I'm just pouring my money down the drain. There are places like little Instagram boutiques and big companies like LUSH. So, how will I stand out? And is this is a gamble I'm willing to make? How do i know if my companies worth investing in?

    submitted by /u/Darkness292001
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment