• Breaking News

    Tuesday, February 4, 2020

    Student loan for career training? Student Loans

    Student loan for career training? Student Loans


    Student loan for career training?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 05:25 PM PST

    My bf is in the process of signing up for classes via The Recording Conservatory of Austin. He's taking individual classes and on-site, in studio training as well as an externship. The program he is enrolling in isn't FASFA accredited and totals about $9,800 in cost. The school presented him with three options for payment; 1. Pay $9,800 upfront. 2. 6 monthly payments of $1,633, the first one due before orientation. Or 3. An in house loan with a $980 down payment and then a 20 month loan with a 10% interest rate.

    I suggested that he get a private loan through his bank and pay the school the $9,800 upfront because he has great credit and I think he can an interest rate lower than 10%.

    Help us? We have no experience with student loans

    submitted by /u/mergysplergy
    [link] [comments]

    Does taxes on forgiven loans nullify income-based benefit?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 05:34 PM PST

    Hi gang. Quick background- $22k in Federal Direct Loans, graduated with master's in counseling in August, adjust gross income of $18k for 2019, will make $35-50k/ yr depending on where I work. I WAS going to do the PAYE plan because my total paid in the 240 months would be $14000, with the remaining $37,199 of interest forgiven. Obviously if I do PSLF I'll pay even less, but I'd be stuck in a nonprofit for a decade.

    This is obviously cheaper than paying $30,000 in 120 months under the standard plan at $254 a month. BUT now I'm seeing that the $37k that would get forgiven after 20 years could be taxed, and I have no clue how much that could cost me. So I'm worried that I'll be screwing over my future self tax-wise if I do the PAYE plan. Does anyone have experience with how taxes impact that forgiven debt from an income-based plan?

    submitted by /u/htgbookworm
    [link] [comments]

    Keep getting denied private loans

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 08:53 AM PST

    Posting for my fiancé.

    He has a co-signer but they have gotten denied by Earnest, Ascent, and Common Bond so far because there are too many accounts in his co-signer's name. He needs around $4000 after Federal Loans and scholarships. He's not getting any FAFSA financial aid grants. He took all the credits he could at community college and was attending college at the cheapest university in our state. I'm at a loss for what we are supposed to do. Any suggestions of places that offer loans for bad credit?

    My parents have offered to co-sign for him but they are already co signing for me and they have debt, so I'm not sure how that will go.

    submitted by /u/cupcakescandy
    [link] [comments]

    NON-DEGREE PRIVATE Student Loan Refinancing/Consolidation Options

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 04:22 PM PST

    Hey, fellow loan suffers! Posted about a week ago asking for help with private consolidation/refinancing options as a non-degree holder. After a few hours of research and spending 5 hours making business calls with 4 companies, I compiled a list with certain criteria that I was looking for. I figured I'd share it here to help anyone else in a similar situation. Hope it helps!

    EXISTING BORROWER: SALLIE MAE (12/10 WOULD NOT RECOMMEND!)

    Discover (available 24/7)

    • No credit card payments allowed (Auto-debit 0.25% reduction)
    • Must apply as an individual (no cosigner release, but can refinance again if wanted!)
    • 10 or 20 year terms (no prepayment penalties)
    • Hard credit pull
    • Can change loan due date twice a year
    • No payments if in-school part-time, no grace period
    • Forbearance, deferment, and hardship options
    • No penalties/late fees
    • *When applying, add 2% buffer to the principal balance of the loans (approximation of funds to disperse to borrower)

    Wells Fargo (M-F 7AM-8PM Central Time)

    • No credit card payments allowed (Auto-debit 0.25% reduction)
    • Can apply with a cosigner (official release after 24 months/2 years provided 25 consecutive on-time payments OR 48 if any are missed OR refinance)
    • A 5K loan minimum (each balance has to be at least 1K)

    Terms (no prepayment penalties)

    5: 3.99-7.99 (fixed) 3.25-6.99 (variable)

    7: 4.74-8.49 (fixed) 3.74-7.24 (variable)

    10: 4.99-8.64 (fixed), 3.99-7.49 (variable)

    15: 5.24-9.49% (fixed), 4.24-8.49 (variable)

    20: Only for loans beyond $150K

    \All variable rates cap at 18%,*

    • Hard credit pull
    • No payments if in-school part-time (4 years max), 6 month grace period
    • Forbearance: 2 month limit (1 6 month extended grace OR 3 two months)
    • No late fees/penalties

    Rhode Island Student Loan Authority (M-F 8AM-5:30PM Eastern Time)

    • No credit card payments allowed (Auto-debit 0.25% reduction)
    • Can apply with cosigner (no cosigner release, but can refinance again if wanted!)
    • 5, 10, 15 terms (no prepayment penalties)
    • Hard credit pull
    • 40K salary requirement needed to apply (either borrower or cosigner)
    • No undergraduate deferment, graduate deferment at least half time (3 years maximum, no grace period)
    • Forbearance, eligible 3 months at a time (4 times renewal maximum for up to a year
    • 10 day late grace period (6% late fee that can be paid whenever)
    • Any information is reported on the first of each month to credit bureau

    Citizens Bank (M-F 8:30-9PM, Saturdays 5PM)

    • No credit card payments allowed (Auto-debit 0.25% reduction)
    • Can apply with a cosigner (release after 36 months)
    • 5, 7, 10, 15, 20, terms (no prepayment penalties)
    • Soft credit pull
    • 24K a year salary minimum to apply
    • No payments if in-school part-time, 6 month grace period
    • 3% late fee penalty
    • No forbearance, deferment options, or loan forgiveness

    Federal Prime Rate History (for help with variable rates)

    submitted by /u/sourpatchkidj
    [link] [comments]

    How do I log in to FASFA?

    Posted: 04 Feb 2020 01:51 AM PST

    When I try to open https://fafsa. ed. gov/spa/fafsa/#/LOGIN?locale=en_US it gives me an error that reads " FAFSA on the Web has encountered an error. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. "

    I was using google chrome at the time and I downloaded FireFox thinking it was my browser. I got the same error through firefox. I factory reset my pc and have the same error on microsoft edge and chrome. Is anyone else having the same problem?

    submitted by /u/MustyBoi_0249
    [link] [comments]

    Any insight on this and hope

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 02:10 PM PST

    In the fall I got accepted to Med School and went through the week long mandatory orientation. As well as the first week of classes. What happened next resulted in me leaving school to work and make money. I had just graduated from a 4 year undergrad university, 3 months before I began Med School. Not knowing the loan industry or process I regrettably took out a Sallie Mae Loan to fund my first year of college. The rest of the 3 years I used a government parent plus loan, after realizing Sallie Mae don't play. That loan ended up going into default and resulted in me not being able to get federal loans from the government that Med School had offered me. After hours of phone calls to Sallie Mae and FAFSA, it was said that the loan needed to be paid off or in good standing. I was also told that even if the defaulted loan is 100% paid off there is still a possibility that I could be disapproved for the government loan Med Schools financial aid office set up for me.

    Now I'm here losing sleep at night knowing that I'm working my tail off to pay a loan that will advance me no where. I need to attend Med School. No other choice. Now I'm waiting on my tax return to come in and I'm going to use all that including money I saved to pay off the loan. Then re apply and re submit my application again. Except now I'm in the same position .... yet again... not knowing if my loan to pay for school will get approved.

    ANY INSIGHT HELPPPP

    submitted by /u/RaasFawkery
    [link] [comments]

    Can't get anywhere with US Dept of Education on an allegedly defaulted loan

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 08:10 AM PST

    I consolidated all my student loans a few years ago. Prior to that, they were in all kinds of disarray, but since then, I've been making all my payments on time. A couple months ago I noticed on my credit report another student loan that was separate from the consolidated one, but was showing as being up to date (I didn't bother looking into it). Last week, I get a letter appearing to be from US Dept of Education, threatening wage garnishment on a defaulted loan (a loan which I thought had become part of the consolidation). The letter included a request for hearing form to dispute it and some kind of financial form to ask for income-based repayment - both of which to be returned to what is shown to be US Department of Education.

    The only contact phone number on the letter was to a collection agency. I called them, they claim they got the loan a year ago, but don't know anything about its situation with the US Department of Education other than it was apparently defaulted on and that's how they got it.

    I called around to the US Department of Education, spoke to a bunch of people in three different departments (some kind of student customer service, rehabilitation department and financial aid department). All of them verified that I have nothing in default with US Department of Education, but nobody is able to give me anything more about this alleged loan that went to a collection agency.

    What else can I do?

    submitted by /u/brutsarutsa
    [link] [comments]

    Defaulted student loan

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 07:17 PM PST

    What is the best and easiest and fastest way to find and get student loans out of collections and out of default what are my options

    submitted by /u/maygen-
    [link] [comments]

    Brothers and I repaying Parent PLUS loan. Need help differentiating loans on same account

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 05:58 PM PST

    I graduated this past summer, so my loan repayments are due next month. I have a brother who is also repaying loans right now. I know legally it is my parent's loan, but I need to pay it off. On Navient, the parent PLUS provider, I cannot figure out my loans vs. my brother's. Anyone have a similar experience that can help?

    submitted by /u/megan_ez
    [link] [comments]

    Refiling for REPAYE and asks if I have taxable income and I do but I don't have any extra money to pay because I am a broke mofo. What do I do?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 05:30 PM PST

    I know you can call me a piece of sh*t. But I haven't filed a tax form in like 6 years because I simply don't make enough money to pay taxes or my loans.

    The tax form I am filling out now says:

    Have you filed taxes in the last 2 years?No

    Do you have taxable income?Yes

    That's the truth but I am wondering if I should say "NO" to "Do you have taxable income?"

    I get by with a website that sometimes makes a little money and recently my parents have been helping me because the website is a piece of sh*t. I now live in Japan, but formerly I was in SF on foodstamps and street performing.

    submitted by /u/1rub
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for Advice for Parent PLUS Loan

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 11:14 AM PST

    Hello all!

    As graduation approaches, I'd like to get some advice about refinancing/repayment options for the Parent PLUS loans and my personal loans. All are federal. I have both subsidized and unsubsidized. Here's my current plan:

    Apply for consolidation for the Parent PLUS loans to hopefully lower interest rate and have one payment.

    Apply for consolidation on my unsubsidized loans (once again, for one payment) and for my subsidized.

    Apply for REPAYE for all loan repayments to keep them as low as possible as I hope to be able to apply for loan forgiveness for my loans.

    Pay double payments if I can to try to keep a leg up on interest.

    That's my plan! I would appreciate any and all advice from those in the thick of it and those who've paid it off. Thanks everyone!

    submitted by /u/therealsnakebuscus
    [link] [comments]

    Need help in figuring out Minimum Payments

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 11:47 AM PST

    I have been reading as much as I can to help out my girlfriend with her student loans of $72,000. After reading everything we want to utilize the avalanche method and hopefully get her loans refinanced as well. Her current salary as a paralegal is $34k. I keep running numbers and my estimates of her minimum payment are more than what her bills have said. Does anyone have a calculator or formula to help validate the min payments for the below loans?

    Loan 1: Discover-$20,539.58-5.49% Loan 2: Discover-$32,646.31-8.74% Loan 3: Nelnet-$20,515.67-3.40%

    submitted by /u/NateCaruso
    [link] [comments]

    Recertified IBR- Payment went up $160, no significant change in income.

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 10:56 AM PST

    I just got notice that my recertification was approved and my new payment would be $492. My old payment was $342. My income hasn't changed by more than $1000. Still floating around 54K annually. Did formulas change, or do I need to appeal this?

    submitted by /u/k_bucks
    [link] [comments]

    Student Loan Refund Help?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 10:43 AM PST

    Back in 2016, I transitioned from one graduate degree program to another. The former institution I attended didn't send a tuition refund back to my loan servicer/department of education.

    Until this day, the former institution claims they sent it over. My loan servicer never changed between then and when I graduated in 2018. They don't have the $ on their books and the US Department of Education says that a refund would change the status of my loans in the system, which never changed either.

    I have a few grand tied to the loan plus interest capitalizing for a few years. What are my options to get additional help and to help discharge the portion I shouldn't be responsible for due to an issue with a refund? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/HeatFan786
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to pay off student loan debt?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 09:28 AM PST

    I stupidly defaulted on my loans(didn't realize it until I got a letter letting me know what was tacked onto my loans this year) how do I begin paying them back?

    I checked with credit karma and they're all closed which is weird.

    submitted by /u/greengrass164
    [link] [comments]

    I am an American studying at a European University for my Masters degree. Should I take out a loan (if possible for me) for my living expenses or continue to live precariously?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 09:12 AM PST

    Hey everyone. As stated I am now getting my MSc in Europe after I au paired here and ending up applying for University and getting in. Since my au pairing situation was less than stellar I used my savings to move into my own apartment, whereas previously I was getting free room and board and 650 euro a month from my host family. However, my host mom was not the nicest person to work for and working for the family was starting to really wear on my mental health. However, I've found myself even more worried because I now have to pay rent and earn my own living in a foreign country where I do not speak the language well enough to get most student jobs.

    In addition to that on my student visa I am only legally allowed to work 20 hours per week. Throughout my BA I worked full time while getting my degree in order to provide for myself, this is the first time that I have been put in this situation where I am not entirely sure where my money is going to come from and I am not enjoying what it is doing to my mental health. In the meantime I do babysitting, tutoring and other gigs that really are not reliable long term. Having said that I am considering taking out a loan (no more than 25k to cover my living expenses for the next year and a half-two years, after then I will no doubt be able to start working immediately. 25 is the highest I would go. More than that would be excessive.

    I already have 17k in loans from getting my bachelors degree (from 2 1/2 years at my State University, I did the first 1 1/2 years at CC. I have also been financially independent from my parents since I was 18 and am estranged from them. I have no credit card debt (paid it off) but I am not aware of my credit score. I can however get a guarantor if necessary. Can anyone put me into the right direction, which steps should I take etc. I am not really aware of the way to go about these things and it would really be a great help to me to get some clarity. Thanks so much for reading.

    submitted by /u/mauricemosss
    [link] [comments]

    Which loan should I focus on

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 06:49 AM PST

    So I have two loans, a federal and a private. My federal loan is for $25,000 and has a 4.12% interest rate, where my private loan for $97,000 has a 5.3% interest rate. I pay roughly $300 on the fed loan and approximately $850 on the private loan each month. I've been told to focus on the smaller loan and get that paid off ASAP (Dave Ramsey believers). To me, it wouldn't make sense to put more money towards a loan that is going to cost me less in the long run (interest & principle wise).

    Any suggestions? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Britt_unc
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on paying off debt?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 12:24 AM PST

    I'm currently an undergrad right now but it's my last semester. I've been trying to put money into my student loans when I can. I don't work a lot when school is in session because of my full load of classes. Any tips to significantly lower my loan while still in school is welcome, I've got 4-3 months till I graduate!!

    submitted by /u/ali_zae
    [link] [comments]

    Trust me.

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 03:14 AM PST

    Don't let your extra payments for a SM loan sit in "pay ahead". Ask a customer service rep there if you want to know more, it's pure evil to even exist. By the way, you get 12 months of forbearance, after six used tell them you have a sure way to make the next payment, that key phrase is needed for it to be approved and unlock your last six months. Please make sure the payment is allocated properly if you have multiple loans with them. Auto debit is actually a good deal if you want to skip a months payment, just call close before your due date. If you apply for deferment as you'll be returning to school for whatever reason, you must be at least a half time student as determined by your school, MALE SURE YOU SUBMIT THE FORM EVERY YEAR, even though the form has a graduation date spot you need to resubmit every year.

    submitted by /u/Poto11
    [link] [comments]

    1 comment:



    1. Do you need Finance?
      Are you looking for Finance?
      Are you looking for a money to enlarge your business?
      We help individuals and companies to obtain loan for business
      expanding and to setup a new business ranging any amount. Get a loan at affordable interest rate of 3%, Do you need this cash/loan for business and to clear your bills? Then send us an email now for more information contact us now via Email: inforamzanloan@gmail.com

      ReplyDelete