• Breaking News

    Tuesday, February 4, 2020

    Dentist told me cleaning was covered by insurance. Now I have $500 bill. Insurance

    Dentist told me cleaning was covered by insurance. Now I have $500 bill. Insurance


    Dentist told me cleaning was covered by insurance. Now I have $500 bill.

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 04:16 PM PST

    My wife and I went to see the dentist for a routine cleaning and xrays 2 weeks ago. We were told that everything was covered by insurance but the fluoride, which was $20 each if we wanted it. We said we did, and paid for it at the end of our visit.
    Today, we logged into our Health Equity Account and see two $500 unpaid balances from the dentist. Flabbergasted, we look and see that it was originally $1200, down to $700 for the in-network discount, and insurance paid $200. We're stuck with the rest. First, this seems insane for a cleaning and x-ray. Second, this is not what they told us.

    What do we do here, and how do I prevent this from happening again? This has already happened once with a doctors visit, they said it was covered by insurance but I got stuck with a bill, it was just small enough that I paid it and moved on instead of fighting it. I'm new to having heath insurance and not sure how to navigate these things.

    Edited for more info: pulled coverage, both in and out of network dentists are 100% covered for cleanings, xrays, etc. This was our first cleaning in over a year because we moved and needed to find a new dentist. No other work was done (fillings, etc).

    submitted by /u/HoneyBeeControversy
    [link] [comments]

    Insuring Multiple Cars Cheaply?

    Posted: 04 Feb 2020 02:39 AM PST

    Hello, I am a 23 year old single male in Michigan. I own three cars, which I enjoy driving, but are not worth full coverage.

    I'm just looking for the cheapest way to be able to drive them all legally. One of them is my daily driver, the other two are running projects. Insurance, liability-only, on the daily is $110/month. One project is also $110/month, the other is $90/month. All three together after a multicar discount are about $270/month. That is too much for my income.

    So, I keep the daily on liability and the other two on comprehensive-only storage insurance. I used to be able to call the insurance company and ask them to swap the liability and comprehensive between vehicles for a few days if I wanted to take the Jeep offroading, for example, but about a year ago my insurance provider told me I could no longer do that, and they would only allow changes in 30-day increments. This has led to me just not driving my fun cars because of insurance costs, which sucks.

    Is there any company that will still allow me to swap coverage like that for a few days to a week at a time? Is there any coverage in Michigan I can get that just provides liability-only coverage to me in any vehicle I drive? It seems crazy to me that there wouldn't be an option for someone in this circumstance.

    I've heard of Metromile, but I don't think it will work for me. One of the vehicles in question is not OBDII, so none of the dongles companies provide will work for it at all. The other two, due to tire choice, do not accurately count their mileage (Jeep's tires larger than stock, daily's snow tires smaller than stock). The one that isn't OBDII is old enough to be a classic, but it isn't yet restored and is not worth full coverage unless classic insurance is cheaper than regular liability.

    submitted by /u/AggyTheJeeper
    [link] [comments]

    I've found some insurance agencies that do not have websites. I run a web development agency, and I'm wondering, for each agency, how a website can help there business.

    Posted: 04 Feb 2020 12:12 AM PST

    Any advice? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Mjjjokes
    [link] [comments]

    If a surgery gets prior authorization, does health insurance tell you exactly how much you're going to pay?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 07:32 PM PST

    It's out of network (long story, but it has to be) and I'm trying to figure out how much insurance will cover, and I don't know if they'll tell me beforehand. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Lg457
    [link] [comments]

    Medical insurance appeals question

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 11:00 PM PST

    I have a question about what's typical in an appeals process for medical insurance. I'm in South Dakota for reference.

    My wife is covered under my employer's insurance policy as my spouse (as of this year). This insurance includes prescription drug coverage. My wife has several medical conditions, and after years of trial and error they've finally found a combination of meds that treat her condition better than anything else they've tried and afford her some semblance of normality in her life. We just found out that the insurance company will cover both meds individually, but not in combination with each other because they consider that to be "experimental".

    My wife's doctor sent in an appeal, and we got the first denial letter on Jan 10. After talking with her doctor on the 23rd, her doctor sent an appeal on Jan 31 and she sent in her appeal on Jan 28.

    On Feb 1 we received a letter from the insurance company stating that they received an expedited appeal request on 1/21 and that they were upholding the denial. No one in her doctors office sent an appeal prior to Jan 31. There are no records in her file of any appeal being sent prior to that date.

    We've asked the insurance company for details of the appeal request, and they state that they cannot provide that to us.

    How can an insurance company deny an appeal that was never sent?

    What questions do I need to ask to figure this out?

    Her doctor's office has spoken to the only two people who would submit appeals (the doctor herself, and the pharmacist) and the only appeal was sent on the 31st.

    I'm just lost, and this doesn't smell right.

    submitted by /u/sodakdave
    [link] [comments]

    Insurance for pregnant wife

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 10:28 PM PST

    Hello guys,

    We suspect that might wife might be pregnant, so we're looking to buy health insurance for her and keep throughout her pregnancy and moving forward. I'm finding this very difficult as everything I can find is for Open Enrollment dates and stuff like that. I am not looking for government subsidies, but simply a plan that we can enroll her in. Any website, or place to start would be appreciated.

    We're in California, if that matters.

    Thank you in advance

    submitted by /u/notalwaysaussie
    [link] [comments]

    Collision insurance for a fairly old car

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 10:15 PM PST

    I'm a new driver who is looking to get car insurance on a 2010 Toyota Corolla I bought from a friend for about $3000 (KBB values the car at around $4000).

    Is it worth it for me to get collision insurance for this car when the car itself has such a low value? If I get collision coverage with a $1000 deductible, I'm not sure how worth it is to have this coverage.

    submitted by /u/Kydele
    [link] [comments]

    A woman backed into me as I was exiting the parking lot. Not the first time this has happened to me, but this time major damage to my car. The other driver had minor paint damage to the bumper. Police refused to file a police report because the parking lot was considered private property. Who pays??

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 09:37 AM PST

    https://imgur.com/gallery/U2OaNa0

    I immediately (well after I got out of the car and called her a variety of curses) called her insurance company and filed a claim and uploaded pictures of my damage.

    submitted by /u/mbkthrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    Company health insurance question in California

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 08:54 PM PST

    Hopefully someone can help me out but I work in retail and I pay close to 100 every paycheck for insurance but in December some events happened and I had to move part time and lose my insurance but my company said I still had to pay for January so I was fine with that.

    January 3rd passes and they charged me then again on the 17 but then they charged me fully on the 31st of January for what essentially most likely is one day of coverage.

    I was wondering this is the correct way I should have been charged or if the late payment should have been prorated.

    submitted by /u/isaacfp24
    [link] [comments]

    How much insurance do you generally need and how long does it take for your premium to decrease?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 08:07 PM PST

    After shopping around I think I've found the best deals I am able to get for now, but how do insurance companies calculate your risk because I feel like in a few years I will hopefully be able to keep a good level of insurance and not pay so much for it?

    Originally I had Geico for both my car and motorcycle, but my car alone was $1,300 every 6 months so I switched to progressive after they offered me a better coverage for a lower price. I still have my motorcycle with Geico though because its cheaper than progressive for what I think is pretty good coverage even after factoring in a multi policy discount.

    I'm 20 years old with a good driving record, have never gotten a ticket and my credit score is decent as well which I read factors into things. What can I do to lower my premium over time? Also how much coverage does someone reasonably need? I know I am on the high end of things but one of my fears is getting in an accident and having a giant pile of medical bills. I do have snapshot and am just waiting on them to send me the obd2 device that is supposed to plug into my car,

    Car Premium (6 months): $792

    On my car I have:

    • $500,000 Single Liability
    • $500,000 Uninsured Motorist
    • $10,000 (per person) Medical Expenses
    • $500 other than collision deductible
    • $500 collision deductible
    • $600 Transportation Expenses
    • $75 deductible on towing and labor
    • Gap Insurance

    Motorcycle Premium (Annually): $564

    On My Motorcycle I have:

    • $300,000 Single Liability for Bodily Injury
    • $50,000 Property Damage Liability
    • $300,000 Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury Liability
    • $50,000 uninsured Motorist Property Damage
    • $50 Comprehensive Coverage Deductible (Somehow was only a few dollar difference from $500)
    • $500 Collision Deductible
    • No Deductible on Towing
    submitted by /u/kf5ydu
    [link] [comments]

    Confused about accident in no fault state?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 07:33 PM PST

    I live in Florida and was recently in an accident where I was deemed at fault. No one was hurt at the scene and we both drove our cars away. From what I understand because FL is a no fault state PIP will pay up to 10k and after that a person can try to sue to recover additional money. The driver of the car I hit has made a bodily injury claim to my insurance and has lawyered up. I am genuinely confused. Does this mean I somehow injured them enough to cause more than 10k worth of medical costs and lost wages already? The accident happened a week ago. Or is it par for the course for them to make a claim regardless of PIP? Also how is this likely to play out. This is my first accident and I'm young with no assets.

    submitted by /u/FormerMountain0
    [link] [comments]

    Can a police report be used as evidence to claim I wasn’t at fault?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 07:14 PM PST

    So I got into a accident last week and wasnt at fault and the other driver even admitted it was his fault and the cops agreed and ticketed him. His insurance called me and told me he's disputing it. They told me they cannot use the police report as evidence and now he magically has a witness that says he was in the right. Is that true that you cannot use the police report as evidence for a claim even though he was at fault?

    submitted by /u/QuesXt
    [link] [comments]

    You guys think my insurance company will total my car?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 06:55 PM PST

    Some old people ran a red light and hit my car.

    It's a 2011 Honda Civic. The only damage to my knowledge caused by the crash is what's visible on the picture. (the bumper)

    It's only been in one accident prior, which again was a low speed collision where a guy turned left in front of me.

    The car's in very good shape, I take good care of it, I just want to hear my chances from some people who're probably more knowledgeable than me 🤷‍♂️ Any help's appreciated.

    I've pretty much won the case with my insurance company, as I have witnesses and footage showing that the lying old people (they said that I ran the red light, and that they had a yellow) ran the red light, so there's no question who's at fault.

    submitted by /u/UndiiviiduaI
    [link] [comments]

    Question for BI Adjuster

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 06:51 PM PST

    I was driving home from work and was hit by driver who ran a red light. The impact spun me around and flipped my car onto its roof. The driver was cited and 3 witnesses collaborated my side in the police report. My vehicle was a total loss and has already been settled on the auto side. Amazingly, no major physical injuries (broken bones or major cuts) but I was diagnosed with whiplash, a shoulder injury and acute post traumatic stress (which I've been having the most trouble recovering from). Now I am dealing with the BI adjuster without an attorney and need some advice/guidance on how to proceed.

    I turned down the initial offer and countered. In my counter, I included future lost wages for my massotheropy sessions that I was prescribed by my physician that are scheduled during my work day. I was told by the adjuster that they are not responsible for those wages and that it is my duty to schedule treatments outside of my work day.....is this accurate?

    Thanks in advance for the advice.

    submitted by /u/Omegaman2379
    [link] [comments]

    Policy help

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 12:01 PM PST

    This is my manufactured home policy, is this an acv or replacement cost. The adjuster keeps telling me it's actual cash value and even when repaired or replaced they will not pay me the replacement cost.

    COVERAGES, COVERAGE A - DWELLING are settled at actual cash value at the time of loss. This means there may be deduction for depreciation. We will pay the lower of: 1. the actual cash value at the time of the loss of the damaged part of the property; 2. the amount necessary to repair or replace; 3. any limit of liability described in the policy; or 4. any applicable Coverage A limit of liability.

    (1) until repair or replacement is completed, we will pay only the cost to repair or replace less depreciation; (2) after repair or replacement is completed, we will pay the difference between the cost to repair or replace less depreciation and the cost you have actually and necessarily spent to repair or replace the property; and (3) if property is not repaired or replaced within two years after the date of loss, we will pay only the cost to repair or replace less depreciation.

    submitted by /u/jessi1117
    [link] [comments]

    How much does a claims adjuster trainee at Progressive get paid 1st year on avg.?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 05:36 PM PST

    With everything included; Base+ % of anything. Just wondering, was having trouble finding this. Ty!

    submitted by /u/Ricknroll323
    [link] [comments]

    I was rear-ended and injured. Insurance coverage conflict has been keeping me from going to the doctor. Please help (NJ)

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 04:49 PM PST

    I was rear-ended a little over 2 weeks ago.

    My unique situation is this: I was driving a rental car I obtained through a rideshare rental app who connects drivers with private owners and dealerships who would like to rent out their vehicles. The app also provides insurance coverage during the rental period. I was not online, so it's not an Uber/Lyft issue.

    I left the scene of the accident by ambulance to the ER. The car was picked up by the dealership and they are handling the property damage claim on their own.

    I then had to get a PIP claim going for the ambulance, ER, and follow up appointments. The orthopedic group refuses to see me until I have a medical claim number from the auto insurance (won't allow me to use personal health insurance, or for me to be billed directly). It took me 2 weeks to finally get in touch with the PIP provider, who then informed me that because I live at home, my mother's auto insurance is who I will primarily get PIP coverage from. However she is afraid her rates will go up if I open a PIP claim. Her agent tells her that her auto policy has her health insurance selected as primary, over PIP. Rental insurance responds that they need written denial of coverage, and also require a deductible ($250 that I don't have) and will cover 80% of charges.

    Side-note: At-fault insurance is conducting an investigation before accepting liability. I don't know status of this because I'm not handling property damage claim.

    I don't know what to do at this point, or should be doing. I just really need to see a doctor. I've been considering going back to the ER but I don't know if persistent back pain is a valid ER visit, and they will just end up referring me to the ortho group again.

    Should I be trying to go through at-fault's insurance at all? I don't have the deductible, or 20% of the medical charges. I know NJ is a no-fault state, but I would also like to be reimbursed for lost wages.

    Any help is hugely appreciated.

    submitted by /u/ohfuuudge
    [link] [comments]

    Totaled and what should I do

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 04:37 PM PST

    I bought a car a recently and haven't changed the title over to my name yet (but I do have insurance already on it). The car was involved in a small hit but the body repair cost is the cost of what I paid for the car(I paid 2500 cost of body repairs is 2600) . The person who hit me is wanting to get my car fixed through his insurance and doesn't need my insurance details . My question is if the car will be totaled and if it is, will the company need my title . Because if they don't need it than and my car will be totaled anyway and I'll get the money than that can save me the title transfer cost . I can get the title transferred quickly as well but I just want to know if the car has a high likelihood to be totaled and if i need to even transfer the title since I still have a bill of sale proof.

    submitted by /u/raviolihorse
    [link] [comments]

    Auto Insurance debacle

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 04:21 PM PST

    Long story short....My son recently purchased a new vehicle and literally the next day he lost his license for driving under the influence(don't worry he is in big trouble lol). What I was wondering is even though the vehicle is under his name only but wont be able to drive it, is it possible for me to insure the vehicle even though I don't own it? He will be making the payments and taxes and all that but just wont be able to drive it. Or do I have this wrong and he has to put the title in my name in order for the vehicle to be insured?

    submitted by /u/TwentyLegs
    [link] [comments]

    Got into a car accident due to bad weather, any way to avoid insurance from going up?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 03:34 PM PST

    Cop shows up an hour later when it started to snow and got a ticket for driving an unsafe speed and it'll add points to my license. This will increase my bf's insurance and I already owe him a lot and almost went into debt because of the accident. Is there any way out of this? I'm really struggling with financially and trying to do better and I feel like it's unfair to him.

    submitted by /u/Naviyr
    [link] [comments]

    What can I reasonably get from a claim?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 03:14 PM PST

    I t-boned a driver who blew through a red light. My details of the event match his and he admitted to the police he ran the light and his admission was noted on the police report and he was cited.

    This happened in Ohio.

    His insurance carrier is Geico, they stated they are 100% liable after they seen the police report.

    My vehicle was totaled. According to NADA it was worth $6550. I just bought the car 6 weeks ago and paid $6500. I've only made one payment. My own insurance carrier gave me a quote of $5000. My payoff is $7800.

    What I want to know is... Can I reasonably ask for his carrier to pay for my car in full ($7800). They are already covering my hospital costs 100%. I had to take out another loan on a vehicle which jumped up my APR and my credit score took a huge nose dive. (I probably should have waited for the pay off but I absolutely need a car for work).

    Accidents happen, I get that, I am not out to make bank on this claim. I just want my car paid off.

    (please save your comments regarding GAP insurance, that's a whole different issue I am fighting with my own insurance carrier about).

    submitted by /u/PupShutter
    [link] [comments]

    Does having a disability affect obtaining/the pricing of car insurance?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 11:28 AM PST

    I am in my late 20s, never owned a car, never had a license, and never really looked into this stuff before; so I am 100% ignorant on this topic. I was going to start looking into the process of getting a license, but was curious if being disabled would impact either obtaining car insurance or the pricing of it if and when I get to that point?

    Some more details if they matter:

    • I am crippled from cancer and confined to a wheelchair.

    • I have the full use of my upper body and partial use of my legs to a minor extent.

    • IF I get a car, it would be a normal (unmodified) car with portable hand controls installed (the $100-$200 variety that just latch onto the gas and break pedals and then rest in your lap), I don't have the money for more advanced hand controls.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Hartagon
    [link] [comments]

    Two unwitnessed hit and runs on my vehicle while parked in same policy period. Is there anything I can do to keep my insurance from going through the roof? 26M

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 03:07 PM PST

    This morning I came out to my car parked on the street to find damage on two panels on my vehicle and filed a police report. This morning marks the second time I came out to my car to find damage on my car. Both times were unwitnessed hit and runs and the police likely won't be able to find the party responsible to file the claim against their insurance. I tried speaking to my insurance to find out what kind of effect this will have on my policy, but couldn't get a straight answer. I am concerned because I am a 26 year old guy and I am filing a second claim on this policy. Previously, I was on my parents insurance and did not have any claims or citations for my driving. The first claim the insurance paid out ~$1200 and this claim it will likely be more. Is there anything I can do proactively to limit how much this will affect me long term? Will my premium go up substantially or due to me not being involved will the increase be minimal?

    submitted by /u/TrustMeImAReptilian
    [link] [comments]

    Driver hit me and proceeded to tell different lies to everyone

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 02:40 PM PST

    So on my way to work a huge work truck ran a red light and we collided as I was making a left hand turn from a green arrow turn lane at the time.

    Police wrote a ticket for running the light and cited it as the reason for the accident. This was after he tried to lie to the officer that it was me that ran the light. But the officer challenged him on this and he changed his story.

    Now nearly a month later my car is still smashed up because insurance is still trying to determine liability because he told his insurance the original story that I was the one that ran the red light. For some reason insurance hasnt gotten the police report yet, so I just payed the $12 to download it and sent it to the adjuster myself.

    Can they still claim no-fault with a police report showing that he admitted to running the red light?

    submitted by /u/XMFLOAT4X4
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment