• Breaking News

    Sunday, February 2, 2020

    How I made $27 profit yesterday by keeping my eyes + ears open Entrepreneur

    How I made $27 profit yesterday by keeping my eyes + ears open Entrepreneur


    How I made $27 profit yesterday by keeping my eyes + ears open

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 09:39 AM PST

    My school has a Facebook group where people can sell their stuff — yesterday someone posted in it saying he needed some Photoshop work done to make higher-resolution versions of some images he had.

    I know a little about GIMP but have no Photoshop skills whatsoever. I did a quick Google search for "convert images to higher resolution in Photoshop" and found out that this is, indeed, possible.

    Then I messaged the guy and said, "I should be able to take care of this for you — what are the images you need converted?"

    He sent me five pictures. I immediately went on UpWork and posted a job for "need these converted to higher resolution."

    I got a proposal from a lady in Eastern Europe quoting $5, the UpWork minimum for a fixed-price job, saying she had already found those very same images in higher resolution just by doing a Google search.

    I message the guy on Facebook and say "I can do the job for you — does $8 an image (40 total) sound fair?"

    He agrees. I hire the lady and she gives me the images she found.

    One of them wasn't high-resolution enough for my buyer, but he agrees to pay me $32 for the four that are.

    So all in all we have $32 revenue, $5 in expenses for a $27 profit. I maybe spent an hour and a half of my time doing this. So that is $18/hour (which is not bad if you're in college) to flip a job I found on Facebook.

    Checked my email and the guy PayPal'ed me the $32 this morning! Might actually figure out the Photoshop trick to increase image resolution for the last $8 as it didn't seem that hard.

    Thanks for reading!

    submitted by /u/Nixon_37
    [link] [comments]

    Building another source of income through mobile apps

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 03:41 AM PST

    Hey everyone. I m an android developer that has a full time job but at the moment I am trying to build another source of income.

    I want to develop several android apps that I can place in the playstore and that would bring in some extra income.

    The problem is that I don t really know which type of apps should I be developing. I m thinking smaller apps with basic functionality and setting a price for like a dollar or inserting ads and making them free.

    If anyone has some input regarding this idea, that would be great.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/nitupaul91
    [link] [comments]

    Change my View: Only self-promotion can save this sub.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 02:57 PM PST

    Alright, I've seen too many awesome posts get shouted down and removed because they mentioned their own company or linked to a blog or something.

    It made me realize this sub is full of people that don't understand the economics of content creation.

    First order of business: Businesses don't sell products - they sell to an audience.

    That means one of the most effective strategies for building a business is giving people legitimately useful information even if you aren't one of the owners of the tools you're recommending.

    What you own is the relationship with the reader where they perceive you as an expert.

    Ideally, they share it with others and more and more people share the content because hey, it's useful and it adds value for them to share it too.

    And it's actually a really great thing. The long term rewards of content creation are great enough that expensive and highly skilled experts can invest time and money sharing their knowledge with the masses. It generates a massive audience that's attracted to the upfront free value and then buys other products and services based on trust.

    That is, unless we say that content creation for the purpose of personal gain isn't allowed. The experts don't have an incentive to put useful information on reddit and since they can't use their personal brands to back up the legitimacy of content us laymen can't tell snake oil from experienced insight.

    Suddenly there is no reason for actual experts to come on reddit and drop value-bombs for our 600K+ readers.

    So what happens? This sub gets flooded with cheap insight, made mostly by people that don't understand how to market their business. Or shills. False testimonial. Unverifiable claims of success.

    People that if they knew their industry well enough to get paid for their insights wouldn't bother posting here at all. Fakes. Wannabes.

    If you allowed self-promotion, Gary Vee would be on this sub dropping knowledge every day, responding to questions, and giving amazing insight to questions from young entrepreneurs. Is he the single greatest marketer of all time? No. Should you follow his advice like religion? No. Is it better than anything I have to say? Most likely.

    But you won't allow that here. That would be against the rules.

    As entrepreneurs, we are supposed to understand that people helping each other is about mutual benefit. Why is this sub expected to grow and improve on people working for free?

    There's an audience of 600K readers that want good information from seasoned entrepreneurs on how to grow their businesses. Guess what - the talented, experienced, and successful entrepreneurs you want to learn from aren't about to do this for free. Not to the degree that they will do it on a platform like LinkedIn where they can benefit from the time and money they invest in sharing their knowledge.

    Stop being crabs in a bucket. Someone benefitting from sharing knowledge on the subreddit doesn't hurt you. If you feel negative about someone else's success you should quit now and get a job because this isn't a zero-sum game.

    Just my $0.02. Heading back to LinkedIn to share everything I know about sales and marketing automation and my story of how I solo-launched a profitable SaaS because that isn't allowed here. ✌️

    Have fun with your dropshipping and crying about shills.

    EDIT: P.S. you're just doing free work for reddit and their advertisers by building this community and it's against the rules for you to benefit. Why would entrepreneurs waste their time?

    EDIT 2:

    From Reddit's sitewide rules on self promotion. Reddit admins apparently expect that we would self promote on subs like this.

    But on Twitter I... And our social media consultant said... But that other brand is...

    reddit is different from any other place on the web - first and foremost, it's about community, discussion, and sharing. Honor that and you'll love it here.

    Think of it like networking. It would be appropriate to give an elevator pitch and exchange business cards with others at a networking event. There are some subreddits that are like that (/r/startups, /r/entrepreneur). But for the most part, subreddits are like your next door neighbor's kid's birthday party that you've been invited to. The reason you're all there is to celebrate a birthday and have cake. It would be completely inappropriate to give your elevator pitch and business card to everyone there - your host would likely ask you to leave or not invite you back again. Meet people, participate in discussion about the reason you're there, and make some new friends instead of trying to promote yourself and you'll have a much better time.

    submitted by /u/RyanMatonis
    [link] [comments]

    How My Startup Reached The Front Page Of Hacker News Yesterday

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 12:13 PM PST

    I launched Callstop (https://www.callstop.com/) on Hacker News and snagged the #3 spot yesterday afternoon. Here's how I did that and how I organized the post. Hopefully, this will be helpful to people who have thought about launching a startup on Hacker News.

    Here's the Hacker News thread for reference: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22211791

    Problem: I set up the problem ahead of the rest of the post by briefly mentioning that about half of all phone traffic nowadays is spam. Mentioning the scale of the problem and giving some context means that even if readers aren't in your country where the problem is, they can follow along.

    Solution As An Analogy: I then created a good analogy so that people could understand what my startup does. Labeling my app as "Superhuman for your phone number" allowed people to understand the goal of the new product (increased productivity and organization) without having ever tried the product before. One user pointed out that analogy wouldn't work as a description in the long term, which I totally agree with, but it provided as easy way for people to get the idea up front. Most people on HN know what Superhuman is.

    Description of Features: I then listed each feature of my app in subsequent lines. I think you want to be concise with each feature, but make sure there's enough that there's no doubt as to what your product does. I tried to focus on emphasizing the ease of use portion, because in order to get actual downloads, people need to feel that your product is easy to use. It also has to be a certain degree better than current solutions, so listing out useful features that are going to separate you from current offerings on the market is key.

    At the end of the post I gave a brief summary of the general purpose of my startup, to keep readers from getting lost in the specifics of features and tie it back to a general purpose.

    Participate In The Discussion: This one is a no-brainer. There are a lot of people who are crazy smart on HN, and you should definitely respond to what they think and have a discussion.

    Based on this experience, if you've worked hard, never fall into the trap of fearing that your product isn't polished enough to launch. Each time you launch another iteration of the product, you'll get valuable feedback from people who want to use your product. You'll also get feedback like "I'd use your product if you added XYZ", and those are the types of requests that help you know what to build next. Earlier this week, I thought about waiting around until another set of updated, improved design screenshots came in before launching would be the best option--and now I'm very glad I didn't.

    I hope this is useful to other entrepreneurs out there who are thinking of launching on Hacker News. If others on here have insight or experience, I'd love to hear that as well.

    submitted by /u/callstop
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone here questions their motives from moral or philosophical standpoints ?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 04:18 AM PST

    Hi, this might not fit here, I guess I need to ask this however as it has been on my mind lately and I would love to see other peoples view.

    I am not an Entrepreneur, just as most people here are not. I am a student who has always dreamed of being an entrepreneur. I am that person who has a lot of his ideas but never actually committed to them, as I have to study and work at the same time.

    However, lately I have been sort of overthinking my "dream". I started wondering whether it is moral to be an entrepreneur, whether even capitalism is a system I want to support with my behavior. I just cannot see myself being employed as I hate authority above myself, but how will I be better if I am going to be the employer ? Have you ever though about the welfare...why should you try to make a lot of money, buy property etc. when there are a lot of people starving, sleeping on the streets ?

    Also I am getting pissed with the word entrepreneur, which I know I used myself though. Every fucking Instagram model or influencer calls him/her self an entrepreneur.

    This post is not any kind of propaganda, just my curiousness from me and a little rant about things that just messed up my head.

    submitted by /u/prois99
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get over a product not working and realize that I should move on to something else

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 01:00 AM PST

    I've been having a little problem lately and don't know how to get passed it. When I started looking for ways to grow a business, I tried starting small and for example, I made very saturated products like printable planners, notebooks (physical) with a design, graphics for stickers and cases, etc. These took well a ton of time to make but looking at them now, I realize I am unable to sell them and tried many ways to.

    I feel like if I focus on them, and keep trying to sell them it might work, but in reality I know it won't. I keep looking at the $ sign even if it is low, but don't know how to work it out. It still stays in my mind but I don't want to just throw it away, I want it possibly to be used but somehow pay off the time I worked on them.

    I know I should just put it aside and work on something I have experience with, but what are some things I should know or be said to get passed this phase? What are some things I need to remember and has this happened to you aswell?

    Thank you everyone

    submitted by /u/chris2450
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone buy a franchise to get started?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 01:42 PM PST

    So I saw this franchise opportunity for something called CodingNinjas. It's a learning program for people to send their kids to learn how to code.

    And it basically is you buy a building space and they provide the learning curriculum plus how to hire teachers/staff. And how to setup the operations.

    My question is do you recommend someone buy a franchise? And does one like this sound promising in a college town?

    (For context I have tried multiple online businesses trying to "make it" and pretty much all have failed, little profit etc)

    submitted by /u/wysteriafox
    [link] [comments]

    Alibaba private labelling (as a UK business)

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 01:41 PM PST

    Hi guys - hope you're having a good day.

    I am looking to start a private label product business in the healthcare niche. I have found a dozen+ alibaba manufacturers that will private-label my product and ship samples.

    I am from the UK however - and I'm aware of duty costs/VAT for shipping.

    My question - does anyone have knowledge/experience/tips to share with me as a starter? Will the duties/costs eat into my profits? Is UK shipping from China even viable? I am worried about this part as I'm having HUGE issues locating a US manufacturer that will make these products for me, (let alone an EU supplier!).

    If you guys 1) have experience with China-UK private labelling or 2) know of alternative, closer manufactures I can get in touch with, please let me know! (I'm aware that shipping from elsewhere doesn't negate the duties/VAT - I'm just looking for a geographically closer supplier for my products to reduce risk).

    Thank you for your time! :)

    submitted by /u/OliverB199
    [link] [comments]

    I've build an MVP, now what ?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 01:34 PM PST

    Hello,

    I have build a web application for french real estate business. It list all available house / appartement and compute the potential renting price / profitability. User can sort and see the most profitable house / appartement to buy in seconds.

    For now everything is free, so I don't know if it worth because I do not know if user are willing to pay for this.

    I launch it 3 months ago, didn't do any paid marketing, only shared the MVP on some forums. I got like 200 users the first week and got some positive feedbacks. Now each day, around 10 peoples are coming (recurring user).

    Should I spend more time on this project ?

    submitted by /u/MyForeverED
    [link] [comments]

    Cold feet regarding starting a business partnership with a colleague / friend

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 01:09 PM PST

    Hi r/Entrepreneur!

    I am in the very beginning stages of starting a business with a colleague / friend of mine. I was genuinely excited about this initially, but now I'm feeling apprehensive and experiencing a serious case of cold feet.

    I have read every possible post on Reddit and the internet at large about this, while also reading 'The Founder's Dilemma,' and talking it through with close friends and colleagues.

    I've been wrestling with this more intensely as of late. So I'm posting about my own unique situation here... with the hope that the insightful, hive-mind POV from various professionals on r/Entrepreneur will help to give me some clarity and hopefully, a path forward.

    Some background about me:

    • I am a well-rounded, multiple hat wearing director, producer, editor, and business woman. I come from the production / post world, but I have always had a skill and love for the creative side.
    • Most of my work is for ad agencies as a director... however through freelancing for the last 3+ years, I have been very successful working directly with brands, coming up with creative ideation, and seeing a project through from beginning to end.
    • This is pretty much what I've always wanted: working on less projects to maximize the quality of work, giving me a better work-life balance (thus giving me room to have a life and pursue personal film projects), working directly with clients to make the dated and broken ad agency / production company / post production model way more efficient, more thoughtfully planned out, and far superior overall, IMHO.
    • I have a reoccuring client who is a big time nonprofit organization, so working with them has been very rewarding from an ethical standpoint, while also giving me a ton of recurring and varied work. I have other clients (mostly non-profits) and I'd like to grow and work with other brands or start-ups in different industries, outside of nonprofits.
    • I have been hiring out for various roles that I cannot handle on my own, due to time, brain power, bandwidth, etc. I still manage and creative direct every project from start to finish.
    • The quality of the work (pushing boundaries creatively, never 'phoning it in') and treating people right (clients, contractors) are values that are very important to me.
    • I am getting to the point where I want to grow, but it's becoming overwhelming for me to do it all on my own. Enter my colleague turned friend (we'll call her Sam), into the picture.
    • I was in a business partnership before with a friend / colleague that never got off the ground. He was not pulling his weight to get it going, and I just felt like it wasn't the right move in the end. We are still close friends to this day.

    Potential business partner:

    • Sam has been freelancing for less time than me (under 2 years), and comes from a copywriting / creative director / ad agency background. She is hired all of the time by ad agencies, and has even been offered full-time positions at a few. She's interested in starting her own thing with me, because she also sees how the traditional model is broken and unfulfilling. She doesn't see the longevity or value in the big ad agency system.
    • We met working on a commercial about 4 years ago. She was the ad agency copywriter, and I was the director on the job. We hit it off, personality-wise and taste-wise.
    • We've worked together on roughly 5 projects (3 projects through my main nonprofit client, and 2 others). For the most part, those projects were very successful.
    • We have reached a point through working together, where it makes complete sense to start a boutique creative agency / production hybrid, since we each embody those skill sets and backgrounds.

    Enter my apprehension.

    Pros:

    • She is very smart, driven, great with clients, great at email / follow-up and great at getting things done. She can whip up and formulate creative at break-neck speed. She is very motivated, can't wait to start a business with me, and found a great branding studio in NY to help us get started with slick branding and a combined website of our work under the new company name.
    • She has a ton of experience working at ad agencies and with clients. She could be a great asset in expanding the client roster, as well as being in a sales role in addition to creative.
    • She dropped everything, rented a car and picked me up from the airport when I had to emergency fly home to put my dog down.
    • She volunteers for good causes. She seems to lead a pretty value-based and ethical existence, for the most part.

    Cons:

    • She has a very dominant, sometimes abrasive personality that may be the product of working in the cut throat ad agency world. (I am also dominant and a leader, but in a way that is more natural and inclusive. My closest working relationships with people in production are very supportive, respectful, and giving, even when it's hard).
    • She will sometimes make me the butt of jokes in meetings with clients (albeit in a subtle, humorous way, but a put down regardless) and that makes me feel like she's either been conditioned to do this with ad agencies, is threatened by me in some way (so this is a way for her to assert her dominance), or she has no respect for me. She did this recently in a meeting with my main client, right after they were giving me a huge compliment. Her behavior in the meeting overall was completely erratic and bizarre. She apologized afterwards, saying she's been stressed out from other work.
    • Similarly, she tends to take over in meetings. More often than not, when it's my turn to speak, I feel stepped on or cut off by her. Maybe she has anxiety? Or once again, the dominance / insecure thing is showing itself.
    • Her impulsiveness concerns me. I feel that she goes all-in on things really fast (finding a branding studio without researching about the proper steps to open a new business, like getting an agreement drafted up, writing down our individual goals, etc.) and doesn't take a moment to assess or research before diving in. I feel like I've assumed the role of "safety dad," and constantly have to double check to figure out if her plan is a good idea or not. In my former "almost" partnership, I was the impulsive one, but even still, I never jumped into making a decision blindly.
    • I pumped the brakes on the branding studio hire, and recommended we talk to a small business lawyer to draft up an owner's agreement before spending any of our own money. I told her I'd rather keep the friendship than start a business together, that it's going to be very difficult and similar to a marriage. She got a little hot headed during this conversation, saying that this won't be as serious as a marriage at all, that she cannot imagine our partnership going sour ever, etc. Afterwards, she apologized and agreed that talking to a lawyer would be a good idea, and she didn't realize all that went into starting a business with a partner.
    • In her personal life, she is very spendy and instead of doing a little investigation on a topic, if it doesn't work out, she'll either throw money at it to fix it, or call it a wash and move on. I feel that she isn't very thoughtful when it comes to decision-making, and is a living, breathing example of white privilege, which makes me a little sick. I am also, but I try to lead a humble existence.
    • Lately her creative work has been a bit basic, instead of ratcheting it up and improving it. It seems like she is satisfied after writing the first round of an idea, whereas I want to break the ideas open and do a few rounds of improvement. I am wondering if she's been doing the creative part for too long and is 'over it' in some way now. I also may have an issue with perfectionism there, but regardless, after I work on things and look at everything objectively, they usually get way better.
    • She raised a big stink a couple of years ago where the client chose an idea that I had written 100%. She wanted to be credited as the Creative Director and also a co-writer. I didn't think she deserved a co-writing credit, as she didn't write it and I was looking to get more experience / a credit in that area, but eventually it became too frustrating to fight, so I just let it slide.
    • More often than not, I feel like I become passive with her when she gets prickly / abrasive. However, I am not a passive person at all. Putting my completely founded feelings on the backburner is not how I'd like to be in a working relationship.
    • I feel like I'm bringing a scrappy, can-do attitude and a deeper understanding of business and all of the roles that are required to make it work. I can do everything (creative, accounting, legal, production, post), and I'm yearning to lower my workload so I can focus more on being creative.
    • Working with her, I feel like she takes the lead on the creative and emailing / connecting with the clients, while I do everything else - which is varying degrees of grunt work. She says she is open to learning and helping with other roles though. I believe her, but I guess we'll see.
    • The website will consist of mostly my work, since she doesn't have a lot of video work to show. She is often hired to concept and write, and then moves on to the next agency to do the same.
    • I am bringing solid, paying clients to the party (3 small, 1 big) while she isn't bringing any, yet.
    • I wonder if I'd be better off pairing with a producer type person who can help me with all of the grunt work, allowing me to be more creative. I wonder if Sam and I have roles that are too similar, that we both want to be the boss in some way. At the same time, I have no clue who this producer person would be.
    • I generally like working with her and I think she brings a lot to the table that I could not achieve as quickly, or at all, on my own. But I feel like I'm being stepped on in the early stages and bringing more to the table in general.

    Right now.

    • I suggested that we do a year trial in working together and then OFFICIALLY decide if we want to do this or not. She agreed, but then continues to vocally tell people that we are starting a business... which grinds my gears a bit. She's either too excited or fails to listen to me.
    • If we go into business together, she wants a 50/50 partnership. If things improve for the better, I'd be open to that. Again, we'll see.

    Questions:

    • For the year trial, we need a branded website / logo, etc. to start getting more clients and start looking more official towards the current ones. My other friend suggested that Sam pony up the money for this in the up front, since she is fully green lit on opening her own business, regardless of my involvement or not. After a year, if I officially want to partner with her, I'd pay her for my half of the branding costs.
    • Is this smart, or is there another way to do this "trial basis" together?
    • She is also trying to buy a house, so asking her to put up $8-10k on her own might be a lot. I haven't proposed this yet.
    • I worry that I might be burning up a year investing in her business, rather than focusing on my own. Or the flipside could happen: after a year things are going great, and we have a solid base that we've built together.
    • I feel that a business partner would be very beneficial for me, but I'm not sure if Sam is the right one. I have brought all of these things up to her in segmented bits, but I plan on having a "real talk live" / difficult conversation this week about my concerns and how I'm feeling.

    TDLR: Having cold feet about moving forward with an impulsive, dominant, yet talented / could be very beneficial business partner.

    Looking for advice on all of the things, but particularly on:

    How do we do a 1 year test trial together? And with that, how do we create branding / a website under the "brand" umbrella in order to get more clients and seem like a company in the interim?

    We are speaking with a small business lawyer this week to assess next steps and what they think.

    Anything else I'm overlooking or not considering in this big decision would be so helpful as well!

    THANK YOU SO MUCH,

    Struggle Bus Business B.

    submitted by /u/mirandapeeves
    [link] [comments]

    Multimillionaires of Reddit, what type of business did you start? Was the market for your business very competitive? How many millions are you worth?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 01:01 PM PST

    Mobile Business

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 12:49 PM PST

    I unexpectedly acquired a mid-70s GMC step van that needs a bit of work. I have lots of ideas for what to do with it but wanted to see if I could get some advice before I do anything.

    Should I...

    1) build a full fledged mobile business to sell, complete with marketing efforts, suppliers, client contracts, active social media accounts, a track record, a following, etc.

    2) build that same business but keep for cash flow.

    3) rehab the step van into something niche but not too niche, ie a food service vehicle and sell it.

    4) get vehicle running, clean it up, paint it, and sell as an empty shell.

    My concerns:

    1) there will be lower demand for a mobile business than I anticipated

    2) running the business becomes tiresome and I lose interest or something happens making the business non-viable (regulations, city ordinances, etc)

    3) too niche, low demand

    4) leaving money on the table

    Any thoughts or experiences shared would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/emryb_99
    [link] [comments]

    Pennyfunding

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 12:36 PM PST

    Note:: Im making this up as a write it

    PennyFunding is to Kickstarter what Twitter was to facebook.

    A miniature crowdfunding platform where you have to get creative and convince your audience in 140 characters or less (friends, peers, customers, fans etc.) through social media that they should invest in your campaign. It can take a physical form of a widget like an effect when you paste your pennyfunding link into any popular social media updates (like how Facebook pulls thumbnail and a description from a link)

    Differences between PennyFunding and Kickstarter:

    - less barrier to entry

    - Quicker to get funding out there and in front of people

    - Smaller audience on average

    - Higher volume of total campaigns running on the platform

    - Smaller Investment amounts

    - Higher rate of failing to get funded

    - Opportunity to use crypto to have no minimum pledging amount required (to cover processing fees etc.)

    - anything I've missed?

    submitted by /u/Trustingmeerkat
    [link] [comments]

    Local SEO Guide: Optimize Your Google My Business Listing

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 11:26 PM PST

    Business owners are always looking for new ways to grow their business online. Therefore, a well-optimized Google My Business (GMB) listing that can get you on Gooogle's local 3-pack is imperative.

    If you don't know what a Google My Business listing is, then I'm afraid that you have some catching up to do. Fortunately, after 4+ years of doing SEO for local businesses, creating an optimized Google My Business listing is relatively simple.

    Here's my local SEO guide for business owners who want their site to be the one that shows up when they search for a restaurant, real estate agency, or whatever industry they serve. Let's get started!

    Creating and Verifying Your GMB Listing

    For those who already know how to create and verify a Google My Business listing, you can skip this part. This part is meant for those who are just starting out and don't know where to begin.

    So the first thing you'll want to do is go to https://www.google.com/business/ and click the "Manage Now" button.

    From there, you'll need to sign in or create a Google account. Then, Google will allow you to either find your business online or create a profile if they can't find your business name. Make sure that, when you're filling out your information, everything is accurate, from the business name to the location.

    Next, you want to verify the Google My Business listing. Google will either send you a postcard, call you, or send you an email. It's important that you don't change any of the information you filled out previously during the verification process.

    Email: Go to your GMB profile and click "Verify Now". Choose "Email" from the list of verification options and then, check your email address. Verify your business via the button provided in the email.

    Postcard: Choose "Postcard" on your GMB profile as the verification option. Make sure that the address the postcard is being sent to is the correct one. If it isn't, change it before you request the postcard. Then, whenever you're ready send the postcard. Most postcards arrive within 2 weeks. During this time period, do not change any of the information on your GMB profile because this will delay the verification process.

    Once you receive your postcard, click the "Verify Location" button from the menu and then click the "Verify Now" button. From there, enter the 5-digit code that is found on your postcard and submit.

    Phone Number: Choose "Verify by Phone" on your GMB profile as the verification options. A message will be sent to your business number which will contain the code. Then, you can verify your GMB listing by entering the 5-digit code in your profile.

    Now, let's get into optimizing your GMB listing…

    Now that your profile is verified, it's time to get you noticed so that Google will put you in their 3-pack results. The 3-pack is the first three business listings that show up when someone searches a query like "law firms near me".

    These types of search queries are the ones that Google will show you because they think that these three businesses will fulfill your search intent. But with so many businesses to choose from, how do you stand out in Google's eyes?

    The first step to optimization is making sure that all the proper information is filled out. These include the:

    • Business Name
    • Categories
    • Location/Services
    • Hours
    • Phone Number
    • Website URLs
    • Description
    • Photos

    Business Name

    The business name should be the name that you have on your signs and legal documents. Don't use keywords in your business name because Google penalizes business names that are keyword-stuffed.

    Categories

    The categories allow you to tell Google what your company does. For instance, if you're an internet marketing agency, you can put that as your primary category. You can add secondary categories as well, such as website designer or digital marketing.

    However, your customers will not see these additional categories. Do not stuff as many categories as you can. This will confuse Google on what your business does and make you seem spammy.

    Location/Service

    Like the business name and category section, you fill this out at the beginning. However, you should only fill this out if you have a physical location that customers can come to. If you don't have a physical location but you do offer your services, then fill out the services area with which areas you provide service.

    Only fill out the service area if you don't have a physical location. Some businesses do both services in different locations and also service at their own location.

    Hours

    Add the weekly hours of operation for Monday through Sunday. You can add special hours on your GMB profile for days when your business is either closed, is closing early, or will be open longer. Use these for holidays and other special events you might have going on throughout the year.

    Phone Number

    If you want to see how many people are calling from the GMB listing, use a call tracking number as your primary phone number. Otherwise, use your local business phone number.

    Website URLs

    All URLs you use must be live by the time they're entered into the GMB listing. To track how many people come to your website through your listing, you can use Google Analytics ' UTM tracking codes.

    The different types of URLs you can add are a website URL, appointment URL, and if you're a restaurant, a menu URL.

    The website URL should link to your homepage. If you have multiple locations for your business, then you should have multiple GMB listings. Each GMB listing should have a website URL that leads to its own separate page for each address.

    Description

    The description allows businesses to tell first-time customers what they do. You can write up to 750 characters, but Google only shows the first 250 characters. This should not be a sales pitch, but rather a way to tell visitors more about your business.

    Go to your "Info" tab and click on "Description". There, create a brief introduction explaining what your business does. Only focus on the most important terms and do not keyword stuff. Do not add any URLs and don't treat this as an advertisement.

    A well-written description will convert more customers than a sales pitch on your GMB listing. You're not trying to convince them to buy your service. Chances are if they've stumbled across your GMB listing, they're already interested in your service.

    So, get your main point across. Use only your most important keywords and above all, make sure it's descriptive. You want the visitor to walk away more informed than he came in.

    Photos

    Photos also play a big role in your GMB listing's performance. They show the visitor what your business looks like in real life. Your photos provide their first impression, so make it a good one.

    Make sure you upload:

    • Cover Photo-This is the first photo your customers will see
    • Logo
    • Exterior/Interior Photos
    • Team Photos
    • Photos of Your Team at Work

    If you're a restaurant, make sure to also upload pictures of the food & drink that you serve.

    So now that we've built our GMB listing, we want to get it ranked in Google's 3-pack. If we can't get the site ranked in the 3-pack, we at least want the listing to be ranked within the pack of business results.

    To do this, we're going to need to focus on:

    • NAP Citations
    • Local Links
    • Updating the GMB Listing

    NAP Citations are references to your business's name, address, and phone number, thus explaining the acronym NAP. These NAP Citations are present in directories, news articles, blog posts, and etc. They're most common in directories, though.

    It's imperative that these citations stay consistent because Googles considers number of citations you have, the accuracy of the data you provide, and the platforms to determine your ranking.

    Here are some directories that you can start out with:

    • Yelp
    • Yellowpages
    • Superpages
    • Local Yahoo
    • MapQuest

    From here, look for local directories within your city as well as niche-specific directories to increase your NAP citations.

    Local Links are links that come from local industry-related sites. This could be from the local news station's website or a blogger based in your city. The best ways to get these local links are from PR campaigns and traditional outreach.

    For example, if you're a juice bar based in Dallas, you could reach out to a Dallas-based blogger who's written a piece on the best juice bars in Dallas. Offer some type of incentive so that they'll include you in the list. An example could be free juices for a month.

    If you want to do a PR campaign, you'll need to be a bit more creative. However, the payoff is much better than traditional outreach. Because you're focused on increasing brand awareness, you need to do something that will catch people's attention.

    Take the juice bar example. If you want to catch the attention of third-party sites, giving out free smoothies to kids after school and providing a study area for students could garner the attention of your local news channel.

    Whether you decide to invest in a PR campaign or go the traditional route and do some outreach, local linkbuilding can be a very useful way to grow your business's site online. Combine this with NAP citations and you have a very effective combo.

    Updating GMB: The final thing you want to do is always update your Google My Business listing. You can respond to reviews and questions, create content in your "posts" section, and correct any mistakes made to your listing.

    Google looks at the quality and relevancy of your reviews, so asking your past customers to update your GMB listing with a fresh review always helps out. You can also respond to any questions that one might have thanks to Google's Q&A feature.

    You also want to update those who stumble across your page with deals and events that are going on, giving them an incentive to keep exploring. Google also allows others to suggest edits to information they might find wrong on the GMB listing, so if there are any errors, you can fix them and improve your business's overall SEO.

    There you have it, guys! This is my guide to optimizing your GMB listing for Google's 3-pack. I know this isn't everything that goes into local SEO. There are other factors that go towards ranking on Google's 3-pack, but the GMB listing is a crucial part of this process which is why I thought I'd share the procedure I use to optimize local businesses.

    If you want me to review your GMB listing or your website, send me a message and I'll be happy to give you my thoughts. But other than that, thanks for reading! If you have any questions, I'll be down in the comments section below.

    submitted by /u/jchang2080
    [link] [comments]

    What should I do with £4k?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 11:46 AM PST

    Having left contracting and entered the perm world as an Product Manager, I've got £4k left in my business account. I could take it as a dividend, but I'm wondering about how I might entrepreneurially invest it.

    Any good ideas?

    I'm adept in software products, but open to all types of suggestions.

    submitted by /u/diffey
    [link] [comments]

    Discussion: Owning property vs Renting as an “entrepreneur”

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 01:11 AM PST

    So the reason I'm bringing up this subject is because of a video that I saw on Facebook of Garry Vee a while back that is stuck in my head. I'm not a big fan of these "social media entrepreneurs" since I've noticed a lot of the shill a whole load of bullshit, but that's another topic.

    So basically what he said in that specific video was something of those lines "If you own a house, you are fucking stupid because you're sitting on a pile of cash which you could be utilizing. So sell it, start renting and invest your money." This quote might not be 100% exact, but you get the point.

    Now from my point of view, that is somewhat correct but I look at my house as a safety net and no matter what, I will always have a roof over my head and a bed to sleep in - I couldn't say the same if I was renting and my investment went to shit or my business failed and I lost everything.

    So let me just give an example of my situation and how I look at it. I'm in my mid 20s, and I have 2 small businesses that are doing "ok", one of them I run mostly from home and I pay about $1700 for rent as I need a little more space. The thing is, once my house is ready I will be pretty much saving those $1700 every month which would also decrease a big chunk of my expenses. On top of that I will have peace of mind, not having to worry about rent, bills or the future.

    What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/R_1_S
    [link] [comments]

    Podcast Monetization for your Business

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 10:19 PM PST

    One of my clients launched their Podcast with us only three months ago (at the time of this post) and had 2,000 listens right out the gate. They've also more or less doubled their listenership month over month.

    Each episode is filled start to finish with highly useful information that can truly help people change their careers. Here's a few ways they leverage this??

    • Every episode not only has mention of the products they sell and all the platforms they're on. Every episode also has the same for the expert guest that they're interviewing... And it converts for both.

    • They can pitch these stats to brands that have the same demographic and start to partner with paying sponsors to bring their listeners products and services that are tailored for them.

    • They can convert each episode into a downloadable PDF that they can give away and build their email list which will turn into sales down the road... or you can put these PDFs behind a pay wall.

    The moral of the story here is that using podcasts as a part of your marketing and sales strategy benefits your business. And not only for the short term. These episodes will available for people to discover for years to come.

    submitted by /u/NICKatMICME
    [link] [comments]

    Learn To Grow Your Investments

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 10:45 AM PST

    Warren Buffett (CEO Of Berkshire Hathaway):

    He's an American investment wizard and businessman who started investing in stocks at 11 years old and real estate investing at 14 years old.

    He's had a few businesses and grew Berkshire Hathaway into one of the most valuable companies in the world based on his 'invest what you know' mentality and strategically investing in undervalued businesses for the long term in many industries.

    Read More HERE

    submitted by /u/survivednation
    [link] [comments]

    Should we find a digital marketing agency to partner with?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 09:52 AM PST

    My partner and I have a web design start up. We have had 7 clients so far but things are slowing down. We are currently charging between $100-$400 for full websites, which we've been told is cheap, but once we have 10+ items in our portfolio we are planning on raising prices.

    We've tried emailing local businesses about their outdated website but haven't had much luck.

    We have spent ~$100 on google adwords but nothing has come from that.

    We have some leaflets coming tomorrow that we are going to post around business parks, we're hoping this will get our name out there a bit. Then we were thinking of calling the companies at the end of the week with a sales pitch.

    We were also thinking of looking for digital marketing agencies that could be seeking web developers they can outsource some of their work to. Is this a good idea?

    site here

    submitted by /u/uniqueusername42O
    [link] [comments]

    I created an app that is perfect for medium to large enterprises, but I have zero connections and zero sales or pitch experience. How do I promote this application in order for a medium or large enterprise to be interested.

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 09:50 AM PST

    It's a Safety related app that allows everyone in the business to do all the relevant training and have all neccessary documentation at hand whenever. And further allows for operators and inspectors to do inspections on site, without paper and be submitted immediately on the spot to the relevant people.

    submitted by /u/Heinrich428
    [link] [comments]

    Wondering if people who sell products online buy any kind of business insurance to protect against liability. If yes which ones.

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 09:45 AM PST

    I've been wondering what would happen if I sold a product to someone that ended up causing them harm and they decided to sue me. That would be a pretty expensive situation to be in. Are people buying insurance? If yes, what insurance should an online business be buying?

    submitted by /u/batmanshome
    [link] [comments]

    Any entrepreneurs here who have their own manufacturing company ?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 11:10 PM PST

    (I hope this doesn't break the subreddit rules)

    Hi! I am a Production Engineering student and I'll be graduating this June. I'm looking to start my own small scale industry in India. Looking for a mentor here who has his own manufacturing company. I have a few ideas which I'm looking to validate. Anyone here who can help ?

    submitted by /u/internet_baba
    [link] [comments]

    (Bakery) Marketing Book Recommendation - Why People Buy (?)

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 09:16 AM PST

    Question first: do you have a recommendation for a book that overviews best colors, shapes, branding, etc. for a retail business (particulary a bakery)?

    Background: I have been reading The E-Myth Revisited and finding it incredibly valuable. I enjoy its message - but also its length and ease in reading. It references Louis Cheskin's "Why People Buy" for the importance of colors, etc in a business. I went to buy this book - but wasn't sure if it is something modernly recommended. Would you recommend it - or perhaps something similar?

    submitted by /u/buns4buns
    [link] [comments]

    Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos Earned $13.5 billion To His Wealth Just In 15 minutes

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 08:48 AM PST

    Hope it’s appropriate to post this here. I’m searching for an entrepreneur to answer 8 questions for me as past of a final year college assignment. Details inside.

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 08:34 AM PST

    I am a forty year college student studying multimedia and web development. As part of a module centred around entrepreneurship, I am required to interview an entrepreneur within the creative industry (8 questions, shown below) this entrepreneur can be anyone who had cerastes there own business in the creative field, such as web design/graphic design. Any assistance would really be greatly appreciated!

    1. How would you describe yourself?

    2. What characteristics do feel you posses that make you a good entrepreneur ?

    3. Tell me a little about your company (s)

    4. How integral is modern technology to your business?

    5. Was there a specific point when an 'idea' became a business opportunity?

    6. How do you measure the success of your business

    7. What has been your biggest learning experience in business?

    8. What advice has stuck with the most you as an entrepreneur?

    A few lines per answer would be amazing and really appreciated. Along with this I would require your email address to forward a consent form. If you require more details or wish to assist me, please email me at kaydargo@gamil.com

    Thanks for reading through!!

    submitted by /u/scipio_202
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment