• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 26, 2020

    How do you deal with clients who don’t read (or want to follow) a contract they’ve signed? small business

    How do you deal with clients who don’t read (or want to follow) a contract they’ve signed? small business


    How do you deal with clients who don’t read (or want to follow) a contract they’ve signed?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 03:04 AM PST

    I tutor English at my home and have contracts students must sign before joining a class. I have a copy printed for me and for the students. I read the contracts out loud while they read along. They bring their copy home.

    And yet, I seem to have clients who ignore (what I think are) very simple clauses in the contract. Such as a 30-minute cancellation policy and my days off / already scheduled lessons), which are listed at the end of the contract and every subsequent renewal form.

    Without fail, I get people who want me to bend the 30-minute cancellation clause for them or say they thought it would be okay "just once" if they disregard it.

    I also routinely have another student who asks to take lessons during other scheduled lessons. That time slot is written at the very top of every contract renewal page I send him and it's very clear (I've both said it and written it several times via e-mail) I have that time slot already reserved. Yet, like clockwork, he constantly requests that time slot or another filled time slot for his lesson. As a result, I have to constantly respond to his e-mails saying "that time slot is occupied and will always be occupied every week. Please check the contract. It's written at the top."

    But this still happens. I'm getting rather annoyed and don't know what else I should do to drill it into his head that this time slot is unavailable.

    Any advice?

    submitted by /u/Mishishi_Kiseki
    [link] [comments]

    My emails keep ending up in client's junk mail

    Posted: 25 Feb 2020 08:21 AM PST

    I'm a fairly new business and have been contacted by five clients, all Gmail users. However every time I respond, they don't reply until a day or two later and noting that my email ended up in their junk mail.

    I'm using Gmail with G Suite to use my domain with my email address. I don't see why Google would mark my Gmail account as spam. Any way around this?

    Edit: Thanks for the responses guys. Got it all setup on my end. Hopefully it all works without issue now.

    submitted by /u/Marzoval
    [link] [comments]

    If funding for you business wasn’t an issue....

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 12:04 AM PST

    I'm curious to know how many small business owners here think they could expand their business and increase their revenues if they simply had enough funding?

    Also, what amount would be needed in order to take your business to the next level (ie. opening another storefront, hiring additional staff, expanding your product line etc.)

    This is my 1st time posting. Go easy on me!

    submitted by /u/Nulevel1
    [link] [comments]

    How Custom Packaging Boxes can Help Grow Your Business

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 04:51 AM PST

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUvgOBJKJ5w

    Custom Packaging Box is all about one thing: branding, as they represent an identity as well as completes and reflects the vision of your company's products. Your packaging boxes should print out the same color scheme, font and the subtle message you aim to convey. It's important to keep updated about the new & latest trends of designs, styles and packaging strategies.

    Virtuous and desirable designs of your packaging are going to draw and bring in more loyal customers. The range of popular and modern designs consists of elaborate design patterns, alluring color schemes, and other minor things, help you entice more customers. Your brand's boldness, sophistication, and level are loudly exclaimed by the packaging.

    While your custom packaging box should retain a clean & simple style with a minimalistic approach. We also recommend frequent improvements to your packaging design in a timely manner, keeping the product to update and adding a new feature to keep your loyal returning customers engaged. We should be interested and curious about what's next in-store for customers to inquire about.

    Custom packaging boxes offer up to several different varieties & options. It is important to find that the correct box shape where your products fit perfectly. From correct dimensions to right size everything need to be a certain standard. Your box should also help in waste reduction and ensuring not issues arise during shipping.

    submitted by /u/sophiegrace192
    [link] [comments]

    Authorising Payments for Bookkeeper

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 02:36 AM PST

    Utterly stumped with the best way to enable my bookkeeper to process payments from my business account.

    I work with a lot of freelancers so rack up a lot of invoices that need to be paid on a monthly basis. I have an in-house bookkeeper and it makes sense for them to make these payments. I've contacted the bank (Santander Business) and they have no facility unless the individual is named on the account.

    Does anyone know how I can get around this? I've looked for third party solutions but am struggling to find anything.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    🙏

    submitted by /u/philozzophy
    [link] [comments]

    Taxes

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 01:57 AM PST

    The GF and myself run a independent distribution route for the big soup and cracker company in the US. We have 0 employees, what information do I need in order to file for the biz myself.

    I dont see any point in paying for someone to do our taxes and would rather learn how to do it myself. Were that small. So please I understand that the BEST way is to hire someone but I'd rather learn.

    submitted by /u/andnosobabin
    [link] [comments]

    Can I be my own registered agent?

    Posted: 25 Feb 2020 05:22 PM PST

    I started a small face and body moisturizer business 2 years ago and recently had a baby so had to slow it down a bit. I currently have legal zoom hired as my registered agent because I didn't want my house address listed publicly but now that I'm not pulling in much income I don't want to keep paying for this service. Is hiring a 3rd party for this a must or can I do this on my own?

    submitted by /u/ss10163
    [link] [comments]

    10 ways to naturally prevent and reverse diabetes - My Wellness Building

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 04:09 AM PST

    Check out these 10 natural ways to reverse diabetes.

    submitted by /u/mywellnessbuilding
    [link] [comments]

    Client trying to control payment terms, will I burn a bridge?

    Posted: 25 Feb 2020 07:34 AM PST

    We have a client, who seems to very happy with out services.

    We completed a software project for them last summer. They then hired us to re-design their website. which we just launched. During the build of this website, they came to us for a much, much larger software project which they haven't committed to (yet). They mentioned they would make a decision about that project after they saw how the website turned out.

    We expedited the project for them (at no additional charge) and late into the build out, they requested additional pages they had "forgotten" they wanted. We had no issue adding these because they were within the unique page design limit we established at the start of the project. We both agreed they would need to be done post launch in order to meet their original launch date.

    The site was launched on time, and the two additional pages are slated to be complete in the next few weeks.

    Our payment terms require the balance of the project be paid prior to launching a site. Because they had a good track record with us, I authorized my staff to launch without receiving final payment.

    A few days later, I receive an email from the company president stating they would only be making partial payment against the final invoice and would pay the remaining balance once we delivered the remaining pages.

    We really want this larger project, so my gut tells say nothing, get the pages done, suck it up and get paid. I should have stuck to our policy of not releasing the site without payment. I shoot myself in the foot every time I do that, but I didn't want to make things difficult since we care about this relationship and want to secure more work.

    I feel any change in payment terms should have been discussed prior to us releasing the website, not after the fact.

    If I allow them to do this and say nothing, am I setting the stage for this type of behavior should we continue to work with them? Or, is it wise to not raise stink in hopes of landing the larger project. Should I say something, but not push for full payment?

    I've been through the carrot and stick routine with other clients, but I don't want to burn bridges over what amounts to a relatively small amount of money, either.

    Thoughts on how I should handle this?

    submitted by /u/kirkmiesle
    [link] [comments]

    How much did the SBA lender ask you to put down?

    Posted: 25 Feb 2020 07:45 PM PST

    I'm enjoying drawing from the pool of knowledge and experience on this r/ and thank you for contributing to keep these conversations going.

    I am considering acquiring an established childcare business in or near a HCOL/MCOL city. Targeting centers doing ~1MM revenues but more importantly looking for something with a team in place. My wife and I want to focus on marketing, growing the business and letting my staff/director do what they've done well thus far. I will continue to consult in a different industry and my wife will be involved in the business as needed.

    There's a disconnect between the ads I peruse on bizbuysell which purport to be able to get me "into this business for only 10% down!" and the SBA lenders I have spoken with thus far. I don't think the references to these down payments include bridge financing by seller or anything to that effect.

    Recently, I spoke with Chase who said they will ask for 25-30% down and this was even before they reviewed my personal financial statement. Chase claimed this was because I was interested in a "high risk" business, but when pressed informed me everything that isn't an attorney/doctor/CPA practice is considered high risk by the banks.

    I'm trying to get a better sense of what price range I should be looking at, though I guess my preferences are leading me to a certain asking price (MCOL and up, $150KSDE and a salaried director in place).

    Though I realize SBA is personally guaranteed, to the extent that I can, I'd prefer to use OPM (other peoples money).

    So, how much did the SBA lender ask you to put down? Were you able to move the needle?

    submitted by /u/finch5
    [link] [comments]

    Reasonable Preparation Steps for Pandemic Effects?

    Posted: 25 Feb 2020 05:19 PM PST

    I'm thinking through what steps I can take as a business owner to mitigate potential risks in the event my city is hit by this novel coronavirus and we see measures put in place like those in China or Italy or wherever else.

    I don't want to be alarmist or go overboard, but I'm wondering if there are some basic things I can do given that I have no plan currently.

    My business would almost certainly be heavily affected. We rely on having the general public show up to our office in order to sell our service. Our clients have to fly into our city in order to use our service. If there's a citywide suspension on public events, we have no business. If travel is restricted elsewhere in the country, we lose business since clients can't come out or don't want to.

    We can do the work remotely, but without in person interaction about 95% of our business is gone.

    So I guess I'm more curious about ways we could quickly stem bleeding, cut non-essential costs, things like that. What to do about hourly employees. That kind of thing.

    submitted by /u/Apptubrutae
    [link] [comments]

    Ways to increase the productivity of communication during the day

    Posted: 25 Feb 2020 04:51 PM PST

    Hello there. During the day I have found myself refreshing page with the email account while waiting the answer of dealer I'm working with. The relationship with dealers is being once in a few weeks, but intensive It becomes uncomfortable to answer for an email for X times per day with official parts every time. Is it Ok to ask dealers communicate in WhatsApp or Viber, or there is some "business" messenger that solves this problem?

    submitted by /u/Vol4arad
    [link] [comments]

    Is it cheaper to buy an existing restaurant and franchise it or build the restaurant from scratch?

    Posted: 25 Feb 2020 10:19 PM PST

    Is it cheaper to buy a washed up run down restaurant and franchise it as another brand like Buffalo Wild Wings or build it up from scratch?

    submitted by /u/hiiigoon
    [link] [comments]

    High Ticket Customers? Clients that spend more than your average. . . How to leverage?

    Posted: 25 Feb 2020 08:50 PM PST

    Hello fellow small business owners.

    I run a moving company.

    What do you do for customers that spend over $2,000 dollars with your company?

    Do you do anything?

    I know that there are ways to:

    • Show appreciation for their business.
    • Potentially leverage this into more referrals or at least keep our company name remembered in their minds.

    Ideas:

    • Follow-up call: (How did we do? Can we improve? What did we knock out of the park? How did you hear about us? Why did you choose us?)
    • Thank you card with coupon for future move
    • Welcome home gift baskets
    • Massage because moving sucks

    Any and all advice or commentary is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/exitnextright
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to start a Game Store etc. How do i get started

    Posted: 25 Feb 2020 01:56 PM PST

    Catering towards esports/TCG/retrogaming/board games. How do I get started? Where can i go to register a business? How can I get approve for loans etc. Completely new to this. Anything would help and be appreciated. I come from an IT/programming background so I can basically do all the IT related stuff.

    submitted by /u/NovusAetas
    [link] [comments]

    PSA: Stop worrying so much about reviews and start worrying about the numbers.

    Posted: 25 Feb 2020 03:21 PM PST

    Reviews and customers can deceive but like the age old saying, the numbers never lie. I am writing this from experience of running two successful ecommerce companies through 2010-2020. Yes, reviews do provide social proof/value which is critical. Yes, many people do take a glimpse at reviews. But as I am sure many of you know, there are a lot of really dumb people who buy and review products. e.g. 1 star because the mailman dropped the box and it leaked. 1 star because I didn't read the giant stop sign leaflet that had critical instructions on it.

    As I write this, we sell a patented product on Amazon that only 2 other companies have licenses to sell. It is the lowest rating by far of our products (which range from avg. 2.5 stars to 4.6 stars). We charge double that of our main competitor, mainly because we have more user-friendly packaging, better customer service, faster shipping, and independently test each batch for safety. This 2.5 star product (1,000+ reviews) has consistent sales growth of 25-35% per QUARTER.

    Please read, listen, and address legitimate concerns from your valued customers. I know it is easy to get depressed and upset over failed social validation and hateful words-- I've been there. Friends and family would go "Hey UH2000, these people really hate your product." Yeah well the sales figures would say otherwise.

    I would love to hear if you disagree with me though, because truly deep down I am making a highly educated guess that shoppers don't care as much about reviews as business owners might. Of course if you do not have a good product to begin with, a string of early negative reviews isn't going to do you well.

    tldr: We live in an age where product reviews follow almost anything we buy, where it raises red flags to see products without them, and where people can say mean things behind a screen. Keep bettering your product and maintaining excellent customer service.

    submitted by /u/UH2000
    [link] [comments]

    My Market Research Survey for a new phone case brand Please fill out

    Posted: 25 Feb 2020 02:40 PM PST

    Hey, I'm trying to start my own phone case business and i would love it it you could fill out my quick survey. Thanks so much!

    https://s.surveyplanet.com/pK-AZrDa

    submitted by /u/bip_bop_bleep
    [link] [comments]

    Is an EIN necessary if I will have 1099 Subcontractors?

    Posted: 25 Feb 2020 05:57 PM PST

    Do I need a EIN for my small business if the only true employee of the company will be me? I am only taking on subcontractors for any additional help.

    submitted by /u/cashby13
    [link] [comments]

    What are the best ways to work with a social media manager?

    Posted: 25 Feb 2020 05:24 PM PST

    I'm preparing to hire a freelancer for some social media management. However, I'm interested in best practices for our agreement beyond just the work for hire contract that our lawyer will draft.

    How are these usually structured, and what are some good expectations for client + freelancer to have in this particular job? If you have a social media manager for your business, what are your expectations for them? For example, a certain number posts per month/week? Responses? Is that a thing? Our goals are more informational and brand-oriented, not sales, in terms of what the social media presence should accomplish.

    Thanks in advance for sharing your experience - I'm just sure that I'm not thinking of a lot of possibilities and options, and want to be as informed as possible moving forward.

    submitted by /u/msadvn
    [link] [comments]

    Canadian Selling a couple Units on Shopify from ONTARIO to BC - Do I owe sales tax? How lax are we talking here.

    Posted: 25 Feb 2020 05:17 PM PST

    📷

    In British Columbia (like some other provinces) you are required to register to collect PST if you regularly sell taxable goods, taxable software or telecommunication services to customers in BC etc etc.

    Now, considering you have to wait 30 days for your PST application to be approved.

    Am I allowed to launch my shopify (even to customers in PST provinces like BC) without charging PST before I scale to "regularly" selling taxable goods in BC, as my application is being processed?

    Like in the next 30 days I could see getting 0-10 sales max from BC, is it normal to start slow and apply for PST during your build up to "regular" commerce? Or is it something you set up before you ever make a shopify live?

    Thank you I would sincerely appreciate anyones thoughts.

    submitted by /u/hechonk
    [link] [comments]

    Getting crushed on contract negotiations, need advice...

    Posted: 25 Feb 2020 04:56 PM PST

    My business partners with other consumer product brands and secures a percentage of gross sales as a commission for growing the business. Using some made-up numbers I will explain the situation. Our proposal opened up with 5% which was negotiated down to 2%. This was reasonable because of the size and growth potential of the business. On the last leg of the contract negotiations the client decided they would like just change from gross sales to net sales. This resulted in about a 60% decrease in our potential commissions. This essentially removes almost any reward for working hard on the account. Even if we were to double the account I forecast that this would result in a commission of only $1,700. That's pretty ridiculous for doubling someone's business. It's pretty reasonable for us to help clients increase sales by 20 - 50 percent, and in some cases we have doubled and even 10x sales. The issue now is that my business partner won't let me counter with a change in percentage. He's extremely bad with money and does not understand that after labor costs we will never make money on this account even if it grows. Initially on the 2% of gross there was enough upside that we could reinvest back into the client and really reap some rewards. My business partner believes that breaking even on this account is worth it because it is a legitimate client in a category that we want to penetrate this year. I'm not convinced that it's worth it. We completed one project for this client already and increased sales 30x on a single product. If we walked away now we would still have a great case study to Showcase to help land new business within the category. In theory there is opportunity to grow this particular brand, but again 2% of net instead of gross is killing me inside fiscally speaking. Any advice anyone can offer would be super helpful in the situation. Both with negotiating with the client and my partner and with the idea of breaking even in order to penetrate a new market. I am quite conservative and believe that we can penetrate this Market the same way we have others without having to break even or take a loss. Thanks for your help. Feel free to ask any questions.

    Sorry for grammer, using talk to text.

    submitted by /u/King_of_Dew
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a service I can use to send texts out?

    Posted: 25 Feb 2020 12:11 PM PST

    Doctor (Pediatrician) looking to send periodic texts on what's going on in my area (from a health standpoint) along with sending automatic milestones to look for. Also just want to provide useful links and resources.

    Is there any service I can use to do this.

    I guess the hard part would be the milestones as each person would need a pre loaded text once they hit a certain age.

    submitted by /u/RLWSNOOK
    [link] [comments]

    How do you get good at strategizing?

    Posted: 25 Feb 2020 03:45 PM PST

    The basics of it makes sense to me. choosing which people to sell to, what products to sell, how to sell/market to them. Managing the brand, budget and profit margins. I don't necessarily known the ins and outs but I can understand the basics.The thing that is confusing is what to aim for in a 1 - 3 year plan and more importantly in the 3-10 year plans.

    Are these 10 year plans here to show rough outlines of paths to take the current niche company to a medium sized business?

    Does a business keep track of market trends, competitors, and new technology, swot, and then as the years go on, to try to create a solid 10 year strategy. In order to find routes in the market where the company slot in and become a larger more profitable business?

    submitted by /u/Putrid-Excitement
    [link] [comments]

    1 comment:

    1. Do this hack to drop 2lb of fat in 8 hours

      Over 160k men and women are losing weight with a simple and secret "water hack" to drop 1-2 lbs every night while they sleep.

      It's scientific and works with anybody.

      Here's how you can do it yourself:

      1) Take a glass and fill it up half the way

      2) And then use this strange hack

      and you'll become 1-2 lbs lighter as soon as tomorrow!

      ReplyDelete