• Breaking News

    Saturday, November 23, 2019

    Legal Advice Police at my door with a search warrant for my Dad who hadn't lived here for 10 years..what should I have done?

    Legal Advice Police at my door with a search warrant for my Dad who hadn't lived here for 10 years..what should I have done?


    Police at my door with a search warrant for my Dad who hadn't lived here for 10 years..what should I have done?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 01:46 AM PST

    This happened in England. 2 riot vans and about 15 police officers showed up at my house after arresting my dad for 'prevention of criminal damage' as he was planning to handcuff himself to railings outside a meeting to protest some climate thing.

    He gave them my family home as his even though he hasn't actually lived here for almost a decade, they showed me the warrant, I told them he doesn't live here, they didn't care and came in anyway, they searched my house found old pictures of my dad and used it to say I was lying to them about him living here.

    Apparently they used some anti terror laws to action the search warrants for the protesters that they shouldn't of and all of the protesters where released with no charges, thing was...I had quite a large chunk of hash and a half ounce of stinky stinky bud which they took from me and arrested me for, so turned out I was the only one who got any charges out of this whole fiasco and I'm pissed off about it.

    Update - Some people seem to want to know where they found my stash, good tactics by the officer I guess, before anyone else came in when it was just me and him, he asked me 'is there anything we're going to find here that we shouldn't be finding son?'

    I with every fibre in my body screaming how wrong it was reached under the computer desk and slid out my tray, handed him 2 1/2 ounces of hash which he brought it up to his eye level and said 'fuckin hell son, thats a big lump'.

    Was a surreal experience going to the station with my skunk stinking up the van. Guy seemed to feel pretty sorry for my situation and told me what to say during the interview then they'd just let me go with a caution. Dad repaid the green debt within a few days.

    submitted by /u/IdontNeedUrKarma
    [link] [comments]

    My mother is refusing to take my siblings and me to the airport to catch our plane.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 05:20 AM PST

    My mother is refusing to take my siblings and me to the airport to catch our plane so that we can spend the holidays with my father. This trip was mandated by the courts as all holidays are the days that my father has us due to their split custody. She is saying that it is because we have no ticket back. However, she is the one who was supposed to pay for the tickets back and has thus either been unable or unwilling to do so. As such my father has already offered to drive us back to the airport. Is there anything that I can do or am I just caught unable to do anything?

    Edit: My parents were able to settle the issue and my father was able to procure new tickets.

    FL, USA

    submitted by /u/Oryzaki
    [link] [comments]

    Mom's medical information was leaked on local TV, even though she specifically asked not to be shown.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 09:55 AM PST

    My mom was in the hospital and a local TV station came in for a news report. They went around interviewing certain patients briefly, and my mom was one of them. She specifically asked them not to show her face and she didn't sign any paperwork. This news station promised that she would not be identified.

    The next day, my dad recorded the event on TV, and she was in full view. Not only that, they showed her medical bracelet with her identifying information.

    She's been stressed out over this, and doesn't want to deal with it. Me and my dad think this is a huge deal and needs to be reported. We also have no idea what kind of damage is we would be looking at, if any from this

    I believe she's stressed out because she doesn't think she can do anything about it. I'd like to understand situation we are in from a legal point of view to help her figure out what we should do. We live in Maine, if that makes a difference.

    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/TheWilted
    [link] [comments]

    Florida. Apartment was never turned over. It's move in day and they say it's fine. Should be condemned.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 05:18 AM PST

    Pictures were of excellent quality living accommodations. Management sounded and acted competent and engaged. An amicable rate was negotiated. Movers were scheduled. Current living accommodations are expiring.

    24 hrs prior to move we got access to the unit, only to find it's unlivable.

    It was never vacuumed, never moped, BUGS, air filter is probably 2 yrs old, spider webs, small animal feces, wood panels are chewed up (dog I assume), carpets have ground in goo, counter "seals" (marine sealant/5200) are black and discolored, ceiling fan is wilted from the weight of the dust, holes in the walls, electrical sockets are hanging out of the wall, half the lights are out, floorboards are gapped so it's not at all sealed from outside, electrical sockets are broken and a clear Hazzard, water damage in the roof around fixtures, black (possible mold) creeping from under baseboards.

    It's just unsafe to occupy.

    Property management says it's been cleaned, turned over and even that the carpets were deep cleaned, none of which is true.

    They say that it's fine and because WE waited till the "11th hour" they can't do anything. They won't contact the property owner or make any effort to rectify the situation.

    Apartment management has already been paid and demands $350 additional to first/last/security deposit for "cleaning the apartment when you move out". That stung.

    I'm trying to keep a cool head and prevail over this obstacle. I'm hopeful that you lovely people, being smarter than I, can bequeath me some of your knowledge of how to affect the change in management required to have liveable accommodation.

    Thanks in advance!

    Edit: The value of having non-liable legal counsel in your back pocket is not lost on me. I know it's not the same as purchased counsel, but the truth is that the education system does not fulfill the requirements of most people to defend themselves against larger or intimidating entities. Simply knowing who to call or how to proceed to produce the best outcome can change lives in a very meaningful way.

    Forever grateful!

    submitted by /u/JohnDoethan
    [link] [comments]

    My neighbors keep claiming that we’ve ‘stolen’ our cat of many years

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 05:48 AM PST

    We let our cat wander so he can get some exercise and sometimes he wanders into our neighbors' yard. They put food out for other cats in the neighborhood and it's cool. However sometimes I have to go out and get my cat back from their yard by calling his name and sometimes my dad goes into their yard.

    In the past they've taken one of our cats and kept her in their house for a month. They got salty when the cat got out and we took her back. From this point on I swear EVERY cat that crosses their threshold is their pet.

    Yesterday my parents got into a fight with the neighbors. They called my mom a racial slur and threatened to shoot my dad (he was probably in their yard to get our cat back). However, fights have stirred up between them before. They claimed that my cat of 7 years has been theirs and always had been theirs and the police was called to mediate .My neighbors are an older couple and there is definitely some 'ok boomer' energy coming from the situation.

    Is there anything I can do legally ? Police report wise, maybe ? They're are always talking smart to my dad and staring at us from the yard.

    Edit: this is in the state of South Carolina

    Update: apparently I got the story all wrong. My dad was taking my cat home from the vet inside a cat carrier. My neighbor started screaming at my dad. My dad put my cat inside and approached my neighbor about what was going on. My neighbor accused my dad of stealing my cat of many years because a different set of neighbors up the street lost theirs that looked 'exactly like him' . The threatening to shoot then the calling my mom names occurred.

    Furthermore, I don't personally like the thought of my cat wandering outside. I didn't think it was a detail I had to share but my parents let him out during the day to get exercise despite my past protest. I've tried to tell them to not enter my neighbor's yard. They don't listen to me. It's a little rough to keep an eye on my cat (as much as I love him) when I'm holding down 2 jobs and school. I appreciate everyone's advice and it is completely valid and I agree. But after this update if I get an 'then you shouldn't have adopted this cat in the first place/you deserve to loose your cat' I'll be a little salty . But no big deal. Again I appreciate the advice. My dad is wrong for entering their yard in the past and my neighbors have EVERY right to be suspicious. Thank you all.

    submitted by /u/R-1102
    [link] [comments]

    Moving out without telling my parents (18yo)

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 01:00 PM PST

    Edit: forgot to include location, I live in Wisconsin towards the lakeshore area, around Milwaukee.

    I'm moving out in January due to tension between me and my parents that has reached extremes. I'm moving in with my friend and her mom, but I don't plan on actually telling my parents. I'm pulling out all my money and taking my social security and birth certificate.

    Will this make me independent? Do I count as an emancipated minor even though I'm 18? I don't want my parents to be making the decisions if I'm hurt and out of it or anything. Is there any way I can transfer my parents guardianship to my friends mom if I need to?

    I'm also wondering if I should take my insurance card, or if leaving my parents means I need to get my own insurance.

    Is there anything I'm missing in order to insure my parents have no control over me anymore, please let me know. I want to be completely removed from their lives at this point.

    submitted by /u/AbaDaba_Doo
    [link] [comments]

    My Dad is suing me

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 07:19 AM PST

    Hello,

    Today i got a letter from the court that my Dad is suing me because i "broke" the Alimony contract he has with my Mum.

    We currently live in Germany were we moved (from Croatia) after the divorce 5 years ago, since then he has to pay me and my Sister every month (where he wasnt consistant, even skiped 1 whole year of payment) till we finish school. I am now 21 and still attending school like i did for the past 5 years.

    Im right now in a Duale Ausbildung where i attend 2 days of school and 3 days of work in that profession that im learning and i get monthly paid for that.

    The letter says i have to pay 2,500.00 kn (336 Euro or 370USD) in the following 15 days. The letter also says he has a Eye witness and something from Tax administration here in Germany.

    I think i can just easly defend my self with a school certificate but my Mum got really pissed and wants to press even more charges for the things he did in the past.

    What can i do and what should i do?
    Do we press charges?

    submitted by /u/Altaccnr1
    [link] [comments]

    Can a power of attorney have a check written out in their name for a payment of inheritance? I have power of attorney over my mother and my uncle just passed away, my mother is senile and cannot recall the fact that he passed away..

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 12:57 PM PST

    It's difficult to discuss these things with her, I want to get access to the small amount of money he left for her to repair her home and take care of her personal bills.. my poor mother doesn't remember her brother passed away and every time I've tried to approach her regarding the topic, she goes into full hysterics crying because she can't remember her brother died.. she is always going back and forth in her memory and doesn't have much coherence at times... any advice is very much appreciated

    submitted by /u/Mimimg
    [link] [comments]

    Virginia- Friend purchased truck, seller isn’t giving title.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 04:34 AM PST

    The story goes. My friend purchased a truck from a private party with a bill of sale off Facebook marketplace. Now months later my friend still hasn't received the title, seller claims he hasn't received it from the bank. To add to it the seller is stating that the wheels on the truck were financed from the owner before him and the finance company is wanting to repo the wheels. My friend doesn't have the sellers address just the bill of sale and a phone number, and his very minimal Facebook profile. Obviously my friend has learned some hard lessons here. I had him remove the wheels and take them off his property. To add to it my friend said the license plate from his research shows the truck belongs to a different mans name in a different state. I feel my friend has screwed himself here and doesn't have enough information on the seller to do anything legally. He has the truck, but gave $14,000 and has no title. The seller has stopped communicating. Any recommendations for him?

    submitted by /u/Zillazoo
    [link] [comments]

    Can my boss take money out of my pay without consent if I did not damage anything? (Ohio)

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 06:10 AM PST

    I work at a small restaurant in Southeast Ohio as a cook/server. I have worked there for the past three months, and have recently put in my notice of resignation as some events have transpired that I am unhappy about.

    I am paid in cash at this establishment (legally, of course, I receive pay stubs with the cash and state/federal taxes are taken out).

    One day, as I closed the kitchen, I forgot to turn off the fryer before I left. This is a semi-common thing to forget, as a few of my coworkers in the past have done the same. On my next paycheck, my boss had a written note in with my pay saying she took out $12.50 for leaving the fryer on. She also charged my manager $12.50 for not checking to make sure it was off.

    I know it is illegal to deduct from employees' wages if property is destroyed or damaged unless it is agreed to in an express contract. In our employee handbook, it does state that employees are responsible for destroyed/damaged property, and I signed this agreement when I began working there.

    Leaving the fryer on does not damage it in any way— she just came in the next morning to clean it, and couldn't because it was hot. It did cost her time, but no part of the fryer was damaged during this. I talked to my one of coworkers, and they informed me that she had only charged them $10 for the same mistake I made. Her reasoning is apparently "Charge them for it, and they won't do it again."

    My question is, is what my boss did legal? I caused no damage to the property/machinery, and she still took money from my pay "check".

    submitted by /u/eggish01
    [link] [comments]

    My apartment has fudged their books, lied, advised fraud, intentionally misled, admitted all of it, and now refuses to give us what we are owed.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 10:45 AM PST

    This all started May 8th. This may be a long and complex post.

    Our lease ended May 11th and we gave an intent to vacate April 1st. They gave us a renewal form March 26th. According to our lease agreement (which we have paperwork to backup all this; hence all the specific dates), the office was required to give us 65 days notice at bare minimum so we could notify within 60 days of intent to vacate. If they do not notify within 65 days, the lease states we only have to notify within 30. They notified considerably late and we notified within 30 days as per the lease agreement.

    We were aware that there would be a pro rate for the rest of May and we were willing to pay that. As we went to pay the prorate we were told that we would have to pay for June as our lease ended in June. We showed her the lease and proved that the lease ended May 11th. At which point she admitted the mistake and said that we still owed it because we notified late.

    We asked her if there was a way we could get it reduced or if she was sure about the amount. At which point, she openly advised that we write an email saying that we're moving out because of hardship in hopes that apartment company would take pity on us and not charge us. She basically told us to commit fraud against her own company. I told her that we were not doing that. In turn we were charged nearly $1,000 paid by check.

    Note: a common tactic that I've experienced with companies is that if you refuse to pay they'll file it on your credit. The best thing to do is to pay it and argue it after.

    The next day I call the office manager with the lease in hand. I record the phone call. On this phone call she attempted to mislead, lie, and misread the contract in an attempt to maintain the check we had given her. After about 45 minutes of going back and forth with her, to the point of where I got her to admit that she was wrong, it ended with her saying "what do you want?" I told her that I wanted to pay only what was owed and not a cent more and asked why was that so hard.

    After doing the math again we were charged $274.65 for the May prorate. It was reduced by over $700.

    That was the first thing. That woman is no longer with the company. The next thing is the deposit that we were supposed to be returned in full. The night before we left, some idiot kid slingshotted a marble at our back door shattering the door window. We filed a police report and an insurance claim and the insurance told us that the apartment was responsible. We sit back and wait for the deposit to come back and when we get it back it is minus $190.57 from the original $450 deposit. Why was it minus $190.57? May Prorate, plus two days because they said we left on the 13th (by the way I spoke to a friend of mine who's a glazier she said to do that job would be right about $200, but that's neither here nor there).

    So we get a deposit return $259.43. We call and say that our return says we left late when we absolutely did not and we can prove that through Google location metadata as we had never been there since the night of May 8th and they had the keys in their possession. The keys were delivered in an envelope signed and dated with a photo of us holding it with the date in the metadata of the photo.

    We contact corporate and let them know and they send us a check for $316.85 with the understanding that the first check was void and this would be a reissue. All they did was subtract the two days of overage. Keep in mind we have already paid the May prorate ($274.65) but they are still charging us for it. Not to mention the prorate that we have already paid differs by over $80 from leaving late calculation ($190.57) and over $140 from the reissued statement ($133.15).

    So by my logic they owe the entirety of the $450 deposit back because we have already paid $274.65 for the prorate. If we do owe the subtraction from the deposit for the May prorate, then what was the $274.65 for? The way I see it we are either owed $450 or $590. But we are at the very least owed something.

    So far we have gone through three office managers, two corporate managers, and over six months of constant fighting and refusal to speak with us, canceled meetings, delegation to people lower in rank who don't know anything, and all we want is to pay only what we owe and nothing else. All we want is for an honest deal and we have been jerked around this whole time.

    Basically I have no idea what to do in this situation or what steps to take. Is there a case here? Is the case bigger than just the deposit?

    Edit: the bot told me to clarify. This happened in Arlington Texas.

    submitted by /u/anon33249038
    [link] [comments]

    Having child support go to me (17M) instead of my alcoholic mother?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 03:24 AM PST

    I'm a 17 year old high school student living in Estonia with some family issues. Yesterday's fight with my mother was the straw that broke the camel's back and I think it's wise I start caring for myself and looking out for my own self interests instead of hoping she'll be good enough to do it.

    My father lives in Finland and currently he pays ~200 euros per month to my mother. I don't know anything about the law over here and I was wondering if it was possible to have that 200 euros come to my account each month, instead of hers. I already told her I would do this yesterday and she got pretty pissed, so I assume it's possible?

    I would still live with her, but buy my own food, do my own laundry and dishes etc.

    And I feel the need to point out that the reason (not the only reason obviously) I'm doing this is because I know that a good chunk of that money goes towards alcohol and sleeping pills. She doesn't buy me clothes or really anything, dad does that whenever he comes around. The things she buys me more or less daily is 1.5 liter drink and some chocolate donuts and I eat whatever my step-dad makes at home. If my step-dad is working, she gives me 5 euros to go out and eat at a local fast food joint. Since she drinks everyday from around 2-3PM till she goes to sleep, that's a lot of money spent on alcohol.

    My living condition is okay, she just isn't. And I would like to know if I have the right to have the money come to me.

    submitted by /u/explosionjesus
    [link] [comments]

    Person renting my parking spot not paying. Ontario, Canada.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 08:20 AM PST

    I live in a condo and I'm renting out my parking spot to another resident in the building. He is not paying his rent. I have left four or five phone messages and I managed to speak with him a week ago. He said he'd pay the next day but I never heard from him.

    What can I do? Can I get his car towed? I don't want any legal trouble.

    submitted by /u/e_tawl
    [link] [comments]

    [Texas] I received a job offer with an inventions clause. Would I lose ownership of my personal projects?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 11:56 AM PST

    I have spent months looking for a programming job that is related to my interests and skills, and, after a lengthy application process, I got the offer. However, after looking through the employee non-compete agreement, I found this clause:

    Ownership of Inventions and Patents.

    Employee acknowledges that Company is the owner of all inventions Employee makes in the course of Employee's employment with the Company. Employee assigns to Company Employee's entire right, title and interest to any patent applications which may be filed with respect to such inventions and any and all patents which may issue or be re-issued for such inventions. Employee further agrees to execute any further assignments, applications, or other documents requested by the Company, it successors, assigns or legal representatives, to obtain any and all copyright registrations or patents for the inventions and transfer or record the transfer of Employee's ownership to the Company, its successors, assigns or legal representatives.

    A friend told me this sounds like a rewording of the Work for Hire agreement, that everything I create for the company belongs to the company. However, to me it sounds more broad than that.

    I expressed my concern to the recruiter, who assured me that the company is just trying to cover all of their bases, protect themselves, and would never go after their own. Plenty of employees have side projects, he informed me, but I'm worried this clause would only come into effect years later, if someone makes significant money off of something they created in their free time.

    I cannot hide most of my projects, as they are either shared as part of my portfolio or created collaboratively. And someday I do wish to sell something I made.

    The company and I are in Texas. I have less than a week to accept the offer.

    So my questions are:

    1. Does this clause mean that everything I create outside of company time, with my own resources, belongs to the company?
    2. If so, what would you recommend I do to protect myself legally? I cannot afford a lawyer.

    This is very important to me, has caused me a lot of stress and grief, and I am very grateful for any advice.

    submitted by /u/throwaway789073
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord passed away over a month ago, and his family has now had the internet, heat, and electric turned off. What should i do?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 03:09 PM PST

    Hi everyone. Might be a long one.

    So i moved into a new place at the end of September. Landlord was a really cool dude. My girlfriend, myself, and my emotional support dog ended up renting a room from him. It was a tiny room but the price was good for all 3 of us. We would of shared a bathroom with the person that rented the room next to us.

    About Oct 18th, my landlord passed away very unexpectedly in his bedroom. At this point we were paid through October and for November.

    His ex wife and her family started coming by the house every Sunday to start taking stuff. That was fine. We still had all the basics we needed.

    On the 1st of November the internet got turned off. We were both annoyed but it is what it is. I texted his ex wife and asked them to have it turned back on. They said they are still waiting on the courts to give them access to his bills so they can pay them. I deal with it. This passed Wednesday (20th), everything got shut off. Heat, electricity, there is no hot water, fridge is down, washer and dryer are down. Everything. It really sucks. We live in Colorado and it's snowing and too cold for this.

    I'm 22. My girlfriend is 20. We have no clue what to do in a situation like this? I'm pissed. Going to be looking at a new place tonight to hopefully move into ASAP.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/frankk47
    [link] [comments]

    NC - owner is not paying me for hours worked, advice please.

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 07:45 AM PST

    I work at an art Studio in North Carolina. I and 3 other employees started working there around 4 months ago. We are the only employees, beside the owner.

    We were told when hired, we would be paid bi-weekly on Friday. She said checks would be ready by 3pm on paydays. Every pay week she has been 2 to 3 days late writing our checks. Today she wrote my check but claimed she didn't have my pay stub yet. I was due overtime hours so I have no idea how many hours I was paid for. The other 3 employees started texting me telling me they were all short 20 hours this pay week. We began comparing older pay stubs and have learned she taking out too much taxes.

    We are wanting to know what action can we take. She is constantly ignoring our text and phone calls, yet she expects us to show up for our shift tomorrow.

    Advice please

    submitted by /u/show_me_your_pitbull
    [link] [comments]

    massachusetts - under 18, but my manager refuses to take me out of a 12 hour shift that ends at 11pm. they claim this shift is legal.

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 08:48 PM PST

    i am 17 years old, working at an unspecified clothing retailer in massachusetts. i am currently scheduled to work a 12 hour shift + 1 hour break on black friday. i was originally only supposed to work a 5 hour shift, but they rescheduled me.

    the massachusetts government website states that minors under 18 (a) cannot work longer than a 9 hour shift and (b) cannot work past 10pm.

    i contacted my manager, figuring it was likely a scheduling error, but they claimed that because of "extended holiday hours", i am legally permitted to work this shift.

    i did some pretty surface level research, but no massachusetts government website says anything about minors being permitted to work later and longer shifts during the holiday season. i have not responded to her text yet, as i am unsure of what to do next.

    is there really a law that states minors can work this shift during the holiday season? if there isn't, how do i call my employer out for lying to me? is there any legal action i could/should take?

    also, after this incident, i no longer plan to remain at my job. so i either get the shifts shortened to a legal shift length, i get proved wrong, or i quit now.

    submitted by /u/fruitsausages
    [link] [comments]

    I am being accused by my landlord and being threatened to evict. [Illinois]

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 01:16 AM PST

    Long story short, i have been receiving a ton of noise complaints from the unit below us and were threatened to receive a 10-day-notice to evict. We have been denying all of them because my unit isnt making any excessive noise. At one point the police was called and even they confirmed that there was no excessive noise, but we still get calls of noise from our leasing agency. We even tried communicating with the unit below us but theyre not really interested in trying to resolve this with us.

    What can i do to make these calls stop and clear our name? The leasing agency refuses to investigate. I dont this affecting our tenant record.

    submitted by /u/Hibjabx
    [link] [comments]

    VA Tenant Question-time running out please help

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 08:41 AM PST

    Virginia

    I had an unlawful detainer filed against me for a $300 balance from October. It was paid immediately and in full + all fees, costs, etc. November's rent is paid in full, in fact there is a credit on my account due to overpayment.

    I asked the landlord to dismiss the case in accordance with VA 55.1-1250 but he refused, he wants possession of the property. His reasoning is because in February last year, he filed a UD and got possession, so he says I can't invoke the right of redemption.

    The law states: ( 55.1-1250)

    A tenant may invoke the rights granted in this section no more than one time during any 12-month period of continuous residency in the dwelling unit, regardless of the term of the rental agreement or any renewal term of the rental agreement.

    He is correct, he did gain possession in February, however, I did not invoke right of redemption at that time. Nor any other time in the last 12 months. (And his claim to possession expired when he renewed the lease.) However, the way I am reading the law, it doesn't say that the prior UD counts against me, what counts is whether or not I have invoked the rights in the last 12 months.

    Who is right?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Far-Breakfast
    [link] [comments]

    Employer pays mileage rate lower than the IRS standard, what should I do?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 01:59 PM PST

    My employer pays per mile for on the job use of a personal vehicle, but the rate is significantly lower than the current IRS standard rate (which is $.58). I drive thousands of miles each year for work, so this is not a small sum. Is this an issue and, if it is, what should I do? Location is Maryland, USA.

    submitted by /u/jtbis
    [link] [comments]

    North Carolina, USA: landlord passed away, daughters now increasing rent and refuse to give deposit back

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 01:45 AM PST

    Im writing this post for my sister who doesn't have reddit but needs some legal advice.

    For two years, my sister rented an apartment from a very kind man who owned a block of apartments and recently passed away. They had an oral agreement that she could stay in the apartment for a certain price every month, with a $500 deposit and a month's notice to leave.

    She got a new job out of NC, gave notice and paid her last rent. Soon after this, her landlord passed away. His two daughters have now taken over. Their first action as new landlords was to unilaterally change the terms of the tenant's leases by increasing the rent that the tenants are required to pay.

    When it came time to do the walkthrough, one of the daughters did it with my sister, without taking any pictures or giving her any written document/evidence to say that they had done it.

    Although my sister had discussed putting nails in the wall to hang pictures up and gotten the green light from her landlord, the daughter claimed that now the terms had changed and that she was retroactively not allowed to have put nails in and should have used a different type of method to hang pictures up. She said this would likely mean 300$ out of her deposit.

    Fast forward to two months after she's moved out, and my sister hasn't heard anything about her deposit. She called one of the daughters up, who told her that the amount of holes in the wall meant that they had had to repaint the entire apartment, which cost well beyond the $500 deposit. They provided no receipt or documents to support this. My sister was audibly dismayed by this and (in an act of kindness, pity or guilt) the daughter said she'd agree to send my sister $250 of her deposit.

    It's been a few weeks and she's not received anything.

    My questions are: - Are oral tenancies protected in NC? If so, what degree of protection are they afforded? - Did the daughters have the right to unilaterally change the terms of the lease by increasing the rent of other tenants and telling my sister she should not have used nails in the wall despite the original landlord agreeing (orally, unfortunately) to this? - Can the daughters make my sister pay for the entire wall painting or only the covering of holes she made?

    We unfortunately have essentially no written documentation of this lease, which makes this so difficult. My sister is a very kind and trusting person who had a very good relationship with her landlord - she would go visit him often and would simply discuss these things in person. She's been very distraught by this whole experience so any help would be much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/KingtotheKonga
    [link] [comments]

    [Missouri] My little brother (16) got the hell slapped out of him by his manager. What do we do?

    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 08:53 PM PST

    My younger brother works at a local pizza joint, and at some point tonight the manager thought it would be a fantastic idea to pimp slap him. He claims that at least three other employees were there to witness it occur.

    I wasn't the one picking him up, and by the time he was off, that manager had since left.

    I've not got any clue as to what the appropriate course of action would be from here. If it's relevant, his manager is a middle aged woman. Any help is appreciated

    submitted by /u/A_White_Dude22
    [link] [comments]

    [CA] How to write a demand letter then go to small claims?

    Posted: 23 Nov 2019 01:27 PM PST

    Due to a fire at an adjacent unit I had to move out for repairs. Homeowner didn't assist just requested I move out before they start the repairs. How would I set up a demand letter to the neighbor for property damage ( smoke damage, several places refused to clean furniture due to possible asbestos exposure). I had to spend 2500 on the new location, spent hundreds on hotel stay immediately after the fire, and other personal property that had to be discarded.

    submitted by /u/Seriously2much
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment