• Breaking News

    Friday, October 11, 2019

    Startups Fundraising Thursdays - A Forum to Ask About Fundraising, Investors, Accelerators, and Other Sources of Capital

    Startups Fundraising Thursdays - A Forum to Ask About Fundraising, Investors, Accelerators, and Other Sources of Capital


    Fundraising Thursdays - A Forum to Ask About Fundraising, Investors, Accelerators, and Other Sources of Capital

    Posted: 10 Oct 2019 06:05 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Fundraising Thursdays Thread.

    Ask about anything related to fundraising, investors, accelerators, grants, and other sources of capital.

    That includes how to find these sources, how to work with them, and how to negotiate with them.

    Don't be shy. The purpose of this is to learn and share ideas and methodologies with one another.

    Any question is a good question!

    If you are answering questions, remember to be kind and supportive. Many are just starting out and have no idea what they are doing. That's okay! We all knew nothing before we knew something.

    You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    How can I tell my clients to tell their friends about my product without making it seem like I am shoving marketing down their throat .

    Posted: 10 Oct 2019 08:29 AM PDT

    Whenever someone asks me to tell my friends I never do so I shouldn't be surprised when my clients don't as well. So back story, I have an A.I. Startup that produces machine learning solutions to clients. Ever time I tell my clients to tell their friends I don't think they actually do. How can I get them to tell their friends without shoving marketing down their throat. It isn't that that dislike the product because clients came back to me. I don't know how to spread it subtly. Any help will be appreciated! Thank you guys and have a nice day!

    submitted by /u/pitin753
    [link] [comments]

    /r/startups Rule Changes

    Posted: 10 Oct 2019 02:19 PM PDT

    It's been a topic of discussion amongst the mods about how to best facilitate discussion and balance spam/self promotion. We felt the rules have been a bit too restrictive in their previous form and have relaxed the rules and updated them. The goal was to allow more discussion about specific companies/tools and sharing links in comments to facilitate better discussion and answers.

    The full rules are always on the sidebar, but the gist of the changes are as follows:

    Rule 2: Narrowed down to self promotion.

    Rule 3: Allowing mentions and links to other non-affiliated resources/companies (self promotion rules still apply in ALL circumstances)

    Rule 5: Old rule was removed (direct requests for support) because it didn't add anything other rules already covered. Replaced with completely new rule about links in discussions. Links are allowed but must follow self promotion rules and require at least an explanation as to why you think it's relevant to the discussion.

    I hope these changes lead to more valuable discussions and not a new onslaught of spam. We are always re-evaluating rules as we see the community grow and change. If you have any feedback please feel free to share it here or message the mods anytime.

    submitted by /u/KingOfDaCastle
    [link] [comments]

    The Washington Post agreed to write about my start next week. How do I make the most of this?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2019 03:01 PM PDT

    Edit: Of course I screwed up the title. I meant to say "startup", d'oh!

    Hey everyone,

    I just got off the phone with a journalist at the Washington Post and she's agreed to cover my startup next week. Pretty stoked but curious if anyone has advice on how to amplify this / leverage the WaPo coverage into getting other media houses to cover me?

    I often see that once 1 media shop features a story, others just pile on. How can I make this happen? I'd be super grateful for anyones advice.

    For anyone curious on how I got the Wash Post interested, I basically just tweeted at a specific journalist who works there and succinctly explained what we do. She liked it and asked me to email her. I emailed her a longer pitch. It took her a week to respond but she got back to me and we had a chat over the phone. She's now writing the story and it will be featured sometime next week.

    submitted by /u/axelonsager
    [link] [comments]

    Risks/downsides to charging customers for a side project without incorporating?

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 12:04 AM PDT

    I've got a small side project I've been working on for the past few months. It's got a solid MVP, and a few customers who have been using it for free. I'm planning on rolling out payments through stripe in the next few weeks ( charging ~$5/month).

    I've gotten advice before that the safe thing to do is incorporate before accepting any payments. If I was planning on making this a legit startup, I would definitely go that route. But, I don't know that this product is ever going to have enough customers to even cover the incorporation fee.

    So, what are the risks/downsides to waiting a bit, and just letting stripe take care of the "accounting"? Suggestions/recommendations are also appreciated!

    submitted by /u/LifeIsBio
    [link] [comments]

    Taking a small investment from a client

    Posted: 10 Oct 2019 07:55 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I'm currently bootstrapping a SAAS product, the MVP is done and I already have a few clients. One of them would like me to add some major features and is willing to pay about $25k to have them done; however they feel that these features would be quite valuable and have stated they'd like royalties on sales. I find that they'll be getting a lot of value out of what they're paying as is, but I'm not against the idea, especially given that having a good relationship with this client will be very beneficial in the future. However I'm not sure what would be a reasonable amount. Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/module85
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on this article and launching your startup?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2019 06:23 PM PDT

    I just read this article:

    I was reading about how Drop Box and Buffer got started with just a video or a landing page:

    '' An MVP is as much a measure of market responsiveness as it is a stage of your product. Though, the debate on this could rage on. ''

    Source: https://www.process.st/mvp-app/

    I do have an idea that I came up/refined over hundreds of hours and I am debating whether to either just get on with the development of it or bring it to a pitch contest (where, at least there's some proof and a large audience).

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/WhatTheUpIsUp
    [link] [comments]

    What's the reputation of the Collision Conference in Toronto?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2019 05:02 PM PDT

    I have a startup in its very very early stages, and I'm only a university student so it'd be a great opportunity for me to get more exposed to the startup culture.

    Though it may be a stretch for us we applied for ALPHA. I'm really, really hoping we get to be featured though, the networking and funding opportunities would be a dream come true. What's the acceptance rate like? Is it really <10% like their email says?

    Either way, I want to attend. It's quite pricey, but I want to register by late October to get 2 tickets for the price of 1. However, I think we get 3 tickets if we get in ALPHA? When do we find out if we got into ALPHA? Do we have to wait and pay for individual normal prices afterwards if we don't get it?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/liashay
    [link] [comments]

    Negotiating compensation with a start up

    Posted: 10 Oct 2019 04:30 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    Not sure if this is the right forum but I have been in interview discussions with a start up that was just acquired by a pretty wealthy company. They won't pay for my relocation but I asked if they would negotiate compensation. They said yes but I don't know what I should ask for outside the current range? How much is relocation typically? What else is available? The relocation is just in the state beside mine. I can live on my current salary but I want to make a strategic move and increase my base if I can cause I was willing to keep my current base if relocation was covered. The company is well funded and there's a lot of growth.

    submitted by /u/derp9039
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for start up advice

    Posted: 10 Oct 2019 08:54 AM PDT

    Hey all, I'm looking at starting a business soon. About 50/50 on current knowledge. I do have a MBA in business and also have been a business partner for a large company for the last 3 years. I have not been to much involved with the funding/financing side of the business though. Can I have/get basic advice on where to start for getting the initial funding, and maybe common mistakes not to do? I would ask my current team, but this is separate and once they find out I will be removed from the partnership (or at least anticipate that) I would like to trademark my brand/logo but maybe a bit to soon for that as I do not have a store yet? Main info I need to get is where to start to get the funding. Any and all help is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/LEGOtylor
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking feedback for beautytech marketing strategy.

    Posted: 10 Oct 2019 11:45 AM PDT

    Hi everyone!

    I recently launched my entry level product which is a quarterly beauty experience. We help women get the makeup look they want for any occasion in just a few clicks. Target market is 30 year olds and mom's who need help with their makeup. The initial challenges I've had are that

    1. We aren't a beauty box but everyone who comes by our website thinks it is. They are shocked at the price of the experience because they compare it to beauty boxes who are monthly, not quarterly, and we have a ton more value in the experience. The website has been updated to showcase the value of the product more since. Also, we are designed for women who aren't good at their makeup. Most beauty boxes are designed for women who are extremely passionate and talented with makeup. So women who are good at their makeup don't see the value that our target market sees, but women who do need the help don't know our solution is out there.

    2. Organic Social media on Instagram isn't converting well. Influencers don't convert at ALL .

    3. When we tested decreasing the price we definitely got more bites but people cancelled after they got the first box discount, despite them providing great reviews. When the price was higher, less people quit.

    So, now I would like us to diversify marketing to Target women who are willing to spend money to have a better, more convenient experience with makeup to get the look they want.

    My current plan is to launch a sales funnel that starts with a Facebook video advertisement for a free makeup tutorial, and then move them down the funnel to educate them on the value and buy the product. Inspiration is coming from Click Funnels.

    Other activities I have in mind:

    • increasing SEO by blogging/cross posting in hopes of getting exposure on a media site.

    • posting in mom groups on Facebook

    • hosting a major "launch" party in the spring

    How should we prioritize these for the greatest impact? Would welcome any feedback or ideas!

    submitted by /u/posie22
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment