• Breaking News

    Monday, October 14, 2019

    Selling Agent Bluffing? Opinions? Real Estate

    Selling Agent Bluffing? Opinions? Real Estate


    Selling Agent Bluffing? Opinions?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 04:55 PM PDT

    The house we are interested in has been active for 180 days and the price has not gone down even once. The only activity on it was one contingent offer back in July which fell through due to the buyer's finances. The sellers are asking $450,000 and we originally offered $415,000. The selling agent said there was another offer and for both buyers to submit their maximum. We went up to $425,000 with a written cover letter. The selling agent then said the wife was leaning towards our offer and liked our letter. The next day he says the minimum they will accept is $435,000. We said we were sticking at $425,000. He then says how about we meet in the middle at $430,000? We agree with a one year home warranty. They verbally agree. We sent in our signed portion of the contract and didn't hear back for two days. They finally get back to us after several emails and phone calls from our agent (we have the inspection scheduled) and tell us that the original buyers from July might have gotten their finances in-order the same day we submitted our offer and the sellers want to wait until Monday to make a decision, the selling agent also mentions this isn't the first time the original buyers have said their finances were in-order when they were not. We have full-approval with a 10 day close, are putting a 20% down-payment, and 5% earnest money. We don't understand why they would wait around for the other buyer unless they are offering listing price. We are looking in the south suburbs of Chicago and winter is approaching which is a very slow market so we are surprised they would wait around. Additionally, the sellers already moved out of the home so they are paying taxes and utilities on a home they don't even occupy.

    One selling tactic I can think of is that they could be trying to make us wait and panic in hopes that we raise our price even higher. After talking to us our agent replied telling them if they did not sign by 5PM yesterday the deal was dead and that we are very frustrated. They didn't reply. We started this process 10 days ago. If the selling agent actually isn't playing games, I have a feeling that the wife wants to sell it ASAP but the husband is stubborn on getting listing price or as close to it as possible (since the price hasn't budged in 180 days).

    Do you think there were ever any other buyers to begin with? Do you think the original buyers are even back? Do you think our offer was used as leverage to pressure other buyers? Or is this all just a bluff being used to get us to go higher in price? If there were other buyers why would they waste our time with us?

    Have a feeling we will hear from the selling agent again tomorrow (Monday) but trying not to keep my hopes up. We love the home. Guess we will see! We have a year to shop around so no rush for us : )

    submitted by /u/UnitedPurpose
    [link] [comments]

    Is it true that you cannot get a mortgage for a certain amount?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 01:03 PM PDT

    Hey guys. I'm planning on buying an investment property, however, I'm looking at 50k+ properties. The problem is that this would be my first house and I have not spoken to any banks, mortgage lenders or any agents yet.

    I asked someone about a low priced house that I wanted to get a mortgage for, they said no one gives loan for like 70k or less.

    Can someone please point out if there is a limit to getting a mortgage for a certain amount?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/shakespear94
    [link] [comments]

    Taking a ten or twenty year mortgage.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 12:38 AM PDT

    So I just got an agreement for my first house for around 165.000 euro and had a question about what option I should choose when it comes to the right mortgage.

    Right now the mortgage rate are at a national low at around 1.20% for 10 years. This means that my mortgage would be around 550. But a lot of people advise me to take the 20 year mortgage at 1.70% because they believe the mortgage rate will be back at 4 – 7% in eight to ten years and that way I can remortgage my next home for 1.70% (for 10 to 12 years) and the normal mortgage rate for everything above the 165k.

    So the house is perfect for me right now. I'm 27, single and don't think that I want to start a family for the next couple of years. But reality is that in a couple of years I'll be 30 and this house is not going to be big enough if I decide to marry and have children. Also, the house is in the middle of the city which is not really child friendly. That and because the amount I will be making will be doubled in the next 8 to 10 years I will be able to move to a bigger place in 5 to 10 years.

    So long story short, which mortgage would you guys advice, the ten or twenty years mortgage?

    submitted by /u/adobeacrobatreader
    [link] [comments]

    Cashout Refi on primary or investment property?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 02:06 AM PDT

    I need to do a cash out refinance on either my primary residence or my one investment property in order to purchase my next second investment property. According to calculators, I can get about the same amount out of either one and keep my monthly payments the same. My primary residence is worth $375k with a $220k balance at 4.375% and 29 years left - would hope to refi to 3.5%. My first investment property is worth $275k with a $130k balance at 4.875% and 20 years left - would hope to refi at 4.5%.

    I'm thinking I'll do my primary residence as changing interest rates and the likely interest rate bump from doing a cashout Refi on my investment property may actually make it about 4.875% again so no real interest rate benefit whereas my primary truly does stand to benefit from a new reduced interest rate. I'm further along on my investment term at 20 years left as well whereas my primary is just resetting back to 30 from 29 so whatever. Anything I'm missing before pulling the trigger?

    A third alternative is that I could sell my first investment property and do a 1031 exchange, but it's cash flowing well at $300/month and I don't need that much cash for this second deal.

    submitted by /u/jazzmanj
    [link] [comments]

    How do I prepare my house to go on the market?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 07:33 AM PDT

    We want to sell our house and have received a lot of different advice as to how to prepare it to be viewed by prospective buyers. Has anyone done this recently? Also...we want to move about 45 minutes away from our present home and rent for 1-2 years. Should we go find a house to rent now or wait? Quick facts that may help: Our house is in South Florida, built in 2006 and in great shape. We're moving to get closer to my job. Thanks to all in advance!

    EDIT: Wow...such great advice from everyone in just a few hours...thank you! We are really stuck on whether to move to a rental now and move all our furniture out - or - move everything to storage and wait til we sell to go find a rental. Any follow-up advice on this? (full disclosure - this is our biggest disagreement of this process) 😃

    submitted by /u/TropicalMoTown
    [link] [comments]

    Good Location/Bad Condition or Bad Location/Good Condition?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 07:32 PM PDT

    What would you choose?

    Tight on budget, so it is either one or the other. I can't seem to decide.

    submitted by /u/itsreallymedoh
    [link] [comments]

    meeting with realtor today

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 03:45 AM PDT

    we bought this house almost 2 years ago and we want to leave because it is emotionally distressing living here. we got a first time home buyer loan and you have to live here for 5 years typically for it to be forgiven but i cannot do it anymore. i told this realtor all the problems we had back in april & she maybe mentioned getting the loan forgiven somehow but i don't know. just been in contact with her since then off and on & now i'm ready to leave. sellers totally misrepresented their house when we bought it. i look at the old selling info for this house and it describes it as a "quiet neighborhood" & the house in "immaculate condition" & i just want to cry even harder. it's nothing like that at all. i don't have the resources to bring any litigation against the former owners. they never took care of their house. they missed a lot in inspection. when we moved in, the house was so dirty & they told their realtor they did a "deep clean" before they left. there were stains everywhere, hairs, food mashed into carpet. i just want to get out of here asap. it's not good for my mental health. it's like living in the twilight zone. maybe we can do minor repairs but i can't keep throwing money at this place when i don't want to live here, it's not worth it to me. what's worth it to me is finding the home i wanted to begin with. i want to sell "as is" & just get out of here. it is imperative. i'll never forgive myself for making this mistake ever again. thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/apple_extract
    [link] [comments]

    What are the conditions when asking for a lower price in my rent?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 03:29 AM PDT

    Hey everyone, I thought this might be a good place to ask

    I've been renting a unit under a house for a few months - I've always paid rent on time, always clean, quiet, and keeping to myself. My parents are helping me pay rent as I'm in university - I've come to a cross road where I have the opportunity to move home but I would really like to stay here, my rent is $255 a week but I was going to see if there is an possibility of a rent reduction - I'm about to finish uni, I'm looking for a job and my parents are still assisting me, but I'd just like to see if there is any possibility of reducing my rent at all... I'm a bit afraid to ask as I don't want them to just kick me out because they will think I won't pay rent - I will continue to do so even if they say no but I would be more on the verge to want to move somewhere cheaper or move back home. I'm quite stuck at the moment, I don't want to feel stingy or anything but I'm just asking to see if anyone has been approached by their tenants regarding such a situation / how would you approach it / how would you like to be approached / would you be unhappy with an ask like this?

    Thanks in advance - I hope this is a place I can ask this

    submitted by /u/diddypink
    [link] [comments]

    How to Sell Undeveloped Lot

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 02:35 PM PDT

    I purchased a lot about a year ago and am looking to sell. I plan on doing own research but I want to get y'alls help on where to start. Do I need an agent? Can I sell the land myself? Thanks for the help.

    submitted by /u/Riveraj0301
    [link] [comments]

    Stupid Question about Downpayments and selling.

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 03:05 PM PDT

    I plan to list my house this spring. I will have about 10,000 liquid, and another 25k once I sell the home.

    My question is - how does this work on a sale? Assuming I would want to use the sale of my house as the downpayment?

    Do I just schedule both closings the same day and have the banks exchange checks?

    submitted by /u/rettribution
    [link] [comments]

    CC&R Surprise - Defunct Architectural Committee

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 12:07 AM PDT

    I'm getting ready to close on a purchase for a home that is not in an HOA. I started pulling up some of the documents listed in my Title report and, surprise, I have CC&Rs. Most of the stuff is fairly innocuous. However, there is one item that has me concerned.

    It says that no building shall be erected without the approval of the architectural committee. If the committee does not take action within 30 days, the plans are automatically approved. The CC&Rs then list the members of the architectural committee which are two people who worked for the developer when the document was recorded and then says that when the builder has sold all the lots, they will each appoint an owner as a replacement.

    AFAIK, there is no functioning architectural committee. I have friends in the neighborhood who were surprised to hear this and have never submitted plans to an architectural committee. Is this something that could come back to bite me if I build something and there is not committee to approve my plans?

    submitted by /u/DifferentNumber
    [link] [comments]

    If I buy a $400,000 home for $200,000 because its been abandoned for a few years and needs a lot of work, would I be paying taxes for the 400k or 200k?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 07:57 PM PDT

    Any other info about buying a home like this would be much appreciated!

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/wot-in-ternation
    [link] [comments]

    Should we finish renovating before selling?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 07:09 PM PDT

    We've lived in our house for five years and might be selling to move cross country next year. Don't have a realtor yet because we might wind up staying. Anyway, since we bought our 1970s ranch in Phoenix we've replaced the sewer, main stack, replaced the carpet with LVP, redid the bathrooms minus the tubs, replaced the water heater, and painted the kitchen cabinets. We'll most likely be replacing the AC in the spring before it gets hot again.

    Looking around our area, similar houses that are outdated sell for about $225k maybe and houses that are marketed as newly renovated are $285-310k. We've been to a few open houses and the cheap things I think what we would still need to do that I've noticed would be to replace anything brass (a few light fixtures and 7 door knobs), replace light switch plates since they're the older style and some are yellowed and upgrade the bathroom lighting. It's dumb little stuff but I know that's some of what can make an older house feel new.

    Expensive stuff-wise, the kitchen cabinets are ok on the outside, especially now that they've been painted, but kinda gross on the inside like old contact paper. The stove works fine but is black and the fridge (we bought when we moved in) is stainless. Dishwasher is dinged up. Washer and dryer don't match. Sprinkler system in the back got totally borked when they replaced the sewer. Popcorn ceilings. Needs curb appeal.

    So do you guys think trying to fix what's left to be "newly renovated/updated" is worth it? We know we're going to drop some serious cash on the AC and we're not all that liquid. Part of me feels like updating the little finishes might go a long way to making it feel more updated without putting in a new kitchen, but also that also seems like a waste of money. But it is kind of like staging.

    If we put in new cabinets (only 8 doors across as is, and I would add another cabinet by the fridge), new cooker and dishwasher would we be able to advertise as totally updated and would it matter? The updated houses all have new, though small, kitchens. It just feels like we're so close to having basically flipped it while we lived here but not quite. We would have to take out a loan or HELOC or something to do it.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/claraaintgottime
    [link] [comments]

    Out of state properties

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 07:02 PM PDT

    I am thinking of buying out of state properties for rental since the market where I live is not really great. If any one has out of state properties, how do you manage your properties? Is it worth to employ a property manager for just one property?

    submitted by /u/mywill1409
    [link] [comments]

    Property tax bill for previous owner was in the mail. Do i have to worry about it?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 04:46 PM PDT

    Hello i closed on house couple of weeks ago. I just recieved a property tax bill from the county treasurer-tax collector addressed to the previous owner. Can I disregard this mail? Im already paying my own property taxes via my lender.

    submitted by /u/GotPain
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a SFH in August and received a school tax bill in the previous owner's name. What do I do next?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 10:30 PM PDT

    (Texas) I bought a SFH in August and received a school tax bill in the amount of...$250 (senior citizen w homestead), in the previous owner's name. What do I do next?

    Currently, I have an escrow with my mortgage, taxes all included.

    submitted by /u/okiedokie321
    [link] [comments]

    Is this normal for rental agents?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 09:50 PM PDT

    I'm considering using an agent to rent a condo or apartment. One agent that has an exclusive listing on a condo I'm interested in has listed in their forms "If the property shown for rent is ultimately purchased in result of showing the property for rent [Agent] will collect 2.5% sales commission of the purchase price from the Buyer"

    Is this normal? Have I just never noticed this before?

    Does this mean that if I rent a condo, and buy it years down the road, I would have to pay this agent a fee to rent and a fee to buy?

    submitted by /u/inseminator9001
    [link] [comments]

    Multiple Counter Offer - CA

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 06:03 PM PDT

    If there is only one official offer on a house (i.e., only one offer in writing sent to the listing agent), is the listing agent legally able to send a multiple counter offer form back to the one person that made the offer (or more accurately, to the buyers agent), in order to make it look like there are more offers?

    What about if the additional offer is only "verbal"?

    submitted by /u/oinkyboinky7
    [link] [comments]

    How long should it take for a house to go on the market?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 09:18 PM PDT

    My parents are selling their house and I hate the agent they have chosen, we signed with him a little while ago on a Friday, and he called up later that night saying that he had someone interested and wanted to bring them though on Monday, and my mother was really tired and said that they needed a couple more days to prepare, and he said he would call back the following Wednesday we had not heard from him at all so we called back and sent a photographer the next day, she refused to take pictures of the main selling point of the house the 4-5 car garage or photos of the complete front of the house, it was 6pm Sunday before they got back to us with the photos floorplan and everything else for the brochures and website, we then paid the 20% deposit and nearly 24 hours later it's still not on the website, how long is it supposed to take?

    submitted by /u/Chocolatejellyfish1
    [link] [comments]

    Realtor demanding realtor fee and security deposit be paid before landlord has signed the lease

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 09:10 PM PDT

    Apologies in advance if my formatting is off or I miss some details, it is my first time posting here.

    My roommate and I were looking at apartments and found one we really liked. We looked at it and it was great so we said we'd like to move forward. Landlord wanted it rented ASAP so the process has been moving along a little faster than it has in the past but a few things have been bothering me.

    1. The realtor tried to tell us we had to pay the realtor fee and security deposit literally the day after she sent us the lease. I told her that was a bit much and seemed like I was being pressured as I only got send the lease the day before.

    2. Realtor said landlord wants us to pay rent via PayPal. Okay kinda weird, I've never done it before but it seems like it's a thing. Then says the landlord is "setting up his paypal account" which just makes me question if it was even his idea in the first place. But whatever, I'm not home 13 hours a day when working so on my day off I go to sign up for PayPal. It says it takes 2 business days to verify my bank account info, as if I just linked a credit card they'd charge me 3% of every transaction. Since it's rent and not just chump change obviously I didn't want to lose that much money every time when writing a check would be free for me.

    Well, the realtor kind of gives me snark about it taking so long because she was "able to set it up quickly" meanwhile she's the one who told us to use this method, and she didn't even mention anything about this hold time ! How was I supposed to know? And now I get snark for it?

    Then my roommate was having trouble when trying to send money, it wouldn't let her use her linked bank account and kept just asking her to add a card. When using a card there of course was that 2.9% fee so she texted the realtor to ask if we can send as a "for goods and services" instead of "friends and family." The realtor replies that the landlord is going to set up a Venmo instead and now we can use that !

    I put my foot down there and said no, this is absurd. I am not going to be running around putting my bank account into app after app due to a small setback that they imposed! I said if PayPal is causing issues then you are going to get paper checks.

    1. Here is the thing that is not sitting quite right with me. We received the lease, and as tenants we e-signed it. However, we have not received any word or copy of the landlord signing the lease. I have never given a security deposit before all parties have signed the lease and I feel weird doing so. Especially because they also want the realtor fee paid at the same time. This is thousands of dollars that I would be handing over and I feel really uneasy doing that without a signed copy of the lease from the landlord. I don't want to worry about having to get my money back if god forbid something happens.
    submitted by /u/seachelle18
    [link] [comments]

    Do agents lose money when a house is sold after only 1 year?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 09:01 PM PDT

    Odd question but I called my agent regarding selling my home after only one year and things got weird. Quickly after my lender called me to discuss it as well. Do agents and lenders lose funds if homes are sold "quickly" after they were purchased?

    submitted by /u/fffggg626
    [link] [comments]

    property sale as co-owner on deed

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 05:14 PM PDT

    hello - hoping this is the right place for this type of question.

    my father passed away 4 years ago, and prior to his passing quitclaimed his house to my brother and myself. we're looking to sell the property now, and in looking up the town records and my father is listed as the owner, with my brother listed as co-owner.

    we want to sell the property (this is in CT) and split the profit - but am unsure of proper the course of action for us to correct the deed in advance or if we even need to.

    thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/_roc
    [link] [comments]

    What do I need to know/do if I want to build my own house one day?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 07:23 PM PDT

    I'm interested in designing my own house in the future and want to know what I need in order to be an owner-builder. I'm aware that there'll be a lot to worry about, from local codes to regulations, local plan approval from an engineer, compliance with international building code, plumbing code, electrical code, fire protection code, and other local permitting requirements.

    I've always been interested in architecture since I've been young, but I want to know what types of certifications, degrees, and education I need to get if I ever want to design and construct my own houses.

    I'm completely new to the field of homebuilding, but want to know if it makes sense to work with an engineer, become a general contractor, or something else completely. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/derekmei
    [link] [comments]

    converting garage to suite - value add or value minus?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 03:00 PM PDT

    I live in Canada in the west coast (Victoria BC). Real estate is very expensive. The median house price is around $850,000 (about 17x the median individual income or about 9 times the ave family income), and many houses have suites in them to offset the cost.

    I have a 2K foot house with a connected double garage. I'm considering converting the garage to a suite. This would create some extra cash, but at the same time, takes away the double garage.

    In general, and in more expensive markets, does this sort of conversion add value or take away value from the house assessment? For many having a suite makes the house more desirable due to it's income generating capability, but to others, they may prefer a garage.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/just-4-me
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment