• Breaking News

    Monday, October 14, 2019

    Daily Advice Thread - All basic help or advice questions must be posted here. Investing

    Daily Advice Thread - All basic help or advice questions must be posted here. Investing


    Daily Advice Thread - All basic help or advice questions must be posted here.

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 05:10 AM PDT

    If your question is "I have $10,000, what do I do?" or other "advice for my personal situation" questions. If you are going to ask how to invest you should include relevant information, such as the following:

    • How old are you?
    • Are you employed/making income? How much?
    • What are your objectives with this money? (buy a house? Retirement savings?)
    • What is your risk tolerance? (Do you mind risking it at blackjack or do you need to know its 100% safe?)
    • What are you current holdings? (Do you already have exposure to specific funds and sectors?)
    • Any other assets? House paid off? Cars? Expensive significant other?
    • What is your time horizon? Do you need this money next month? Next 20yrs?
    • Any big debts?
    • Any other relevant financial information will be useful to give you a proper answer.

    Please consider consulting our FAQ first - https://www.reddit.com/r/investing/wiki/faq

    Be aware that these answers are just opinions of Redditors and should be used as a starting point for your research. You should strongly consider seeing a registered financial rep before making any financial decisions!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Singapore’s economy dodges technical recession after growing 0.6% in the third quarter

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 07:20 PM PDT

    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/14/singapore-releases-third-quarter-gdp-data-monetary-policy-statement.html

    Singapore's economy — often seen as a bellwether for global growth — avoided a technical recession after growing by 0.6% in the July to September quarter compared to the previous three months.

    A technical recession occurs when there are two consecutive quarters of economic decline.

    In a separate announcement, Singapore's central bank eased monetary policy.

    submitted by /u/coolcomfort123
    [link] [comments]

    TDAmeritrade- on trailing orders what is "Incremental"

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 01:38 PM PDT

    Incremental? https://imgur.com/a/VOoS6X3

    So does anyone know how these incremental orders work I've looked on TD's website as well as googled a few different things and cant seem to figure it out.

    submitted by /u/Gousf
    [link] [comments]

    Haven't heard from Warren Buffett in a long time, where is the most recent interview he gave?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 01:44 PM PDT

    How did the S&P 500 index double when corporate profits have been flat since 2012?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 10:35 PM PDT

    https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CP

    I was looking at this chart and I couldn't help but notice that after tax corporate profits have not moved much since 2012. Why is that? And how can the stock market go up that much without much profit growth?

    submitted by /u/ether2015
    [link] [comments]

    All Value Portfolio or 3 Fund Portfolio?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 01:32 PM PDT

    Hello Everyone!

    About to make my first investment in my Roth IRA and debating between an all value portfolio and a 3 fund portfolio. Since I am a new investor, I would love some advice about others think.

    The All Value Portfolio is as follows (Paul Merriman):

    Invesco S&P 500® Pure Value - (RPV) (Expense Ratio: 0.35%)

    SPDR® S&P 600 Small Cap Valu - (SLYV) - (Expense Ratio: 0.15%)

    iShares MSCI EAFE Value - (EFV) - (Expense Ratio: 0.38%)

    WisdomTree Intl Small Cap Div - (DLS) - (Expense Ratio: 0.58%)

    Emerging Markets - (DGS) - (Expense Ratio: 0.63%)

    The 3 Fund Portfolio is as Follows (John Boggle)

    Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund - (VTSAX) (Expense Ratio: 0.04%)

    Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund - (VTIAX) - (Expense Ratio: 0.11%)

    Vanguard Total Bond Market Fund - (VBTLX) - (Expense Ratio: 0.05%)

    I am leaning towards the All Value portfolio since reading that Value Stocks have outperformed other types of stocks historically (however not recently). I am concerned about the expense ratios and being a new investor this is a much more slice and dice portfolio compared to the 3 fund portfolio. I am 29 years old so I wouldn't be investing in any bond funds just yet.

    Few Questions:

    1. Which portfolio would you go with?
    2. Are the expense ratios for the all value portfolio reasonable for a slice and dice portfolio or are they too expensive?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/PostNarcissism
    [link] [comments]

    Strategy poll - high reward opportunity or steady gains?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 02:46 AM PDT

    Which strategy would you pick?

    Time horizon: 20-30 years

    1. A strategy that promises you to achieve 20-25% returns, no maximum volatility risk.
    2. A strategy that promises you a steady 4-6% return with a limited downturn risk of 10%.
    submitted by /u/caxus1
    [link] [comments]

    Help me understand German 30 year bond

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 08:09 PM PDT

    With German government issuing 30 year bonds with zero yield, I've read this is an indication they're predicting interest rates will not rise for 30 years. Is this interpretation correct? What does this mean for the average investor?

    submitted by /u/kgbhouse
    [link] [comments]

    Can a European living in Europe open an account with Schwab or Fidelity or any of those lovely commission free brokers?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 11:12 PM PDT

    I'm sick and tired of paying $15 per trade with IG. Can a European living in Europe open an account with Schwab or Fidelity or any of those lovely commission free brokers?

    submitted by /u/noooris
    [link] [comments]

    Japan's economy

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 07:52 PM PDT

    why has Japan's economy never recovered? And what has brought it down so much since 1990?

    submitted by /u/luchins
    [link] [comments]

    Gold price in Iran is less than its global price. How i can make money out of it?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 12:01 AM PDT

    Hello everyone. Simple and fast: Gold price in Iran is less than its price in global market. Since exports are prohibited, how can I make money in this scenario? The best doable suggestion gets 10 percent of the profit I earn over 6 month, paid monthly.

    submitted by /u/meysamghorbani
    [link] [comments]

    Average S&P500 returns

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 04:35 AM PDT

    I've been trying to find this information everywhere online but none of the sources are specific enough to fully answer my question.

    Question: What is the average S&P500 long-term return (at least 30 year buy-and-hold) AFTER inflation and WITH dividends reinvested?

    I found this, which I assume is NOT inflation-adjusted, but includes reinvesting dividends (?): https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2016/05/deconstructing-30-year-stock-market-returns/

    Additionally, I found this:

    https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/042415/what-average-annual-return-sp-500.asp

    Which says 8% since 1957 (when 500 stocks were introduced into the index). 8% cannot be the average if you look at the chart in the first link. Do they mean 8% on average after inflation? Do they mean 8% without dividends reinvested?

    Does anyone have a definitive answer to my question? I have been thinking about downloading a bunch of S&P500 historical data and creating a Python script to run through the numbers, but of course the webpage from which I download the data doesn't mention if the market value for each month includes reinvested dividends or not!!!!!

    Thanks in advance folks!

    submitted by /u/iamthespx
    [link] [comments]

    Lazy Portfolio Advice - How does yours look?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 05:35 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I'm 25 years old and I'd like to invest 10k into the stock market. I'm interested in creating a lazy ETF portfolio.

    I'm new to investing and I'm unsure as to what percentage I should put into each ETF. I was looking at 70% VTI, 20% VXUS, and 10% BND.

    What I question is since I'm 25 and don't mind some risk, should I even bother with BND?

    Secondly, should I even bother with VXUS and just put 100% into VTI and not bother with the international markets?

    I'd appreciate any advice anyone may have as well as some examples of how your lazy portfolio looks.

    Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/platinumpoint
    [link] [comments]

    How Dividends work?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 12:16 AM PDT

    Dumb question but I'm a noob when it's comes to finances and investing, I seen in other posts how people make living of dividends. how do dividends work? if a divided pays .05 every 3 months, does it grows in the future or keeps paying .05?

    submitted by /u/rubenr1002
    [link] [comments]

    Modern economy

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 03:30 AM PDT

    '' the modern economy is a scam fueled by debt and immigrants brought in to inflate consumer rates''

    this is a sentence I have red on internet. My question are:

    1) What is the meaning of ''fueled by debt'' ? USA economy (example) is fueled by debt... what is the meaning of this sentence? Debt of who?

    2) immigrants are brought to inflate the the consumer rate

    why do immigrantes inflate the consumer rates?

    submitted by /u/luchins
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice in choosing between an ETF or Unit Trust.

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 11:53 AM PDT

    I am 22, a university student with no income stream. Want to invest with what I've saved during my years at varsity and just hoping for a better return compared to keeping the money in a bank with an interest rate of 5-6%. From what I've seen, a TOP 40 equity unit trust or ETF can or are both high risk but I'm happy with its risk factor and am prepared to leave the money in for 5+ years. I will be going into honours next year and don't necessarily need the cash anytime soon but would like to get my foot in the door with investments now. The amount I have is R20000 and I'm looking between unit trusts or ETF's. Are either a good choice or are there any other options i should think of with my very limited experience.

    submitted by /u/flipflopbellyrock
    [link] [comments]

    Getting in to investing

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 01:13 AM PDT

    I'm 19 and going to uni next year, I was hoping to see if anyone had any tips for someone starting g from scratch with a workers wage. I've seen adverts for really small time investments and crypto currencies and I was hoping for tips or advice on where to start.

    submitted by /u/fufiewillygarage
    [link] [comments]

    Best free investment tools value investing

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 09:59 AM PDT

    As a value investor in general I was wondering if anyone has particular free stock screening tools and other analysis tools that you really like and that facilitates the process of choosing good stocks?

    I do indeed use yahoo finance stock screening tools and I also like using macro trends for more in depth analysis and history. Also dividend history tools.

    Are there any other tools and alternatives that you all like?

    Most of the companies that offer research tools are really expensive so I thought I would ask.

    I am about to switch over to Fidelity so I guess I can also use whatever tools they offer as well.

    submitted by /u/Crazrwire999
    [link] [comments]

    What platform/website do you use to look at international bond yields?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 07:55 PM PDT

    I'm aware that all of these can be looked up individually on Bloomberg or other similar websites but is there a website/platform out there that lists 1yr, 5yr, 10yr, and 30yr yields from multiply different countries in one place (preferably with available charts)? Thanks.

    EDIT: Same question for international stock markets

    submitted by /u/traderlmd
    [link] [comments]

    Does Schwab let you trade ticker: FLRU (a Franklin Templeton ETF) for free? I'm asking because M1 Finance claims to allow free trading but doesn't allow trading of Franklin Templeton ETFs because they have very low trading volume. Thanks in advance!

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 11:14 PM PDT

    Does Schwab let you trade ticker: FLRU (a Franklin Templeton ETF) for free? I'm asking because M1 Finance claims to allow free trading but doesn't allow trading of Franklin Templeton ETFs because they have very low trading volume. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/silly321
    [link] [comments]

    Platforms for investing in VWRD?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 10:26 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm a Singaporean retail investor who's new to the world of investing and after going through many forums and threads, I thought I would invest in the VWRD fund.

    I think I will not be too active, would probably make investments of 1000-2000USD bi-monthly, and planning to hold for no less than 10 years. I have read that FSMOne and Stan Chart are possible options. Does anyone have experience with either of them?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/dixiechann
    [link] [comments]

    Tax-advantaged retirement accounts vs taxable brokerage accounts as a visa holder

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 05:58 PM PDT

    I need some help with deciding where to put some money. Currently I have 50k in a savings account, and have set up my 401k contributions to meet my employer's match. The issue is where to go from here. I am currently on a work visa, with no intention of staying in the US through retirement. I am expecting to stay in the US for a maximum of 16 years, and will most likely leave in a decade.

    I'm not sure that maxing out 401k + Roth IRA is advisable in my situation. My country has no tax treaty with the US, so I'll most likely be subject to the full 30% tax rate on interest and dividend during withdrawal. Will investing in a Roth IRA help me be exempt from this tax? Will investing in a low cost index fund in a taxable brokerage account be more efficient (in terms of flexibility) compared to locking away money until I'm 60?

    On the other hand, I am in a relatively high income tax bracket right now, and I would like to take reasonable steps in order to reduce that burden. If I max out the traditional 401k, will I be able to keep that account open without being a US resident? What's the most efficient thing to do in this situation?

    I've done substantial research on this, and I haven't found anything substantive on this issue. I'm definitely hoping to just set an amount to set aside in a vehicle that makes sense so I can forget about it and focus on income generation for the next decade. Avoiding excessive taxes is preferable but at this point, I'm ready to give up.

    TLDR: immigrant, wants to retire in home country. Which option is ideal?

    A. Meet employer 401k match, invest the rest in an index fund with international brokerage (Charles Schwab)

    B. Max out 401k (19k), max out Roth IRA (6k), leave rest in taxable index fund

    C. Do B, and then invest further 27.5k in Mega backdoor Roth IRA, leave rest (I have very little left at this stage) in taxable index fund

    D. Do nothing, cry in a corner at tax complications from international employment

    If anyone has experience with this, I would also love to hear your story!

    submitted by /u/QueenofAngst
    [link] [comments]

    3 Bond portfolio Fidelity no minimum?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 05:35 PM PDT

    I am finally opening up a Fidelity Roth IRA investment account. The only thing is that I don't have enough to invest in most index funds.

    I am planning in general to follow the 3 fund portfolio. I am also open to doing a combination of index funds and etf's and looking at optical combinations.

    In general I prefer investing in value stocks.

    Has anyone looked at any funds that don't require a minimum balance? Most of them seem to be around $2500 minimum.

    submitted by /u/Crazrwire999
    [link] [comments]

    Money market question

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 05:27 PM PDT

    What are money market funds exactly (swvxx) how often are the dividends paid out, and when am I allowed to sell? If I buy and sell in 1 day, do I get the dividend? What about if I buy day 1 and sell day2?

    Theoretically if interest on loans/margin is less than swvxx, does it make sense to go max leverage in the product?

    submitted by /u/iPoor_
    [link] [comments]

    Doing NPV calculation on future dividends for an equity valuation. Should I use different discount rates over time??

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 05:22 PM PDT

    I know for bonds we can use the term structure of interest rates which is typically upward sloping. Does similar logic apply for stocks? [I hope this is the right sub for a question like this. Sorry if it's too basic.]

    submitted by /u/eknanrebb
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment