• Breaking News

    Friday, October 25, 2019

    Personal Finance Weekend Discussion and Victory Thread for the week of October 25, 2019

    Personal Finance Weekend Discussion and Victory Thread for the week of October 25, 2019


    Weekend Discussion and Victory Thread for the week of October 25, 2019

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 02:04 PM PDT

    If you need help, please check the PF Wiki to see if your question might be answered there.

    This thread is for personal finance questions, discussions, and sharing your success stories:

    1. Please make a top-level comment if you want to ask a question! Also, please don't downvote "moronic" questions! If you have not received your answer within 24 hours, please feel free to start a discussion.

    2. Make a top-level comment if you want to share something positive regarding your personal finances!

    A big thank you to the many PFers who take time to answer other people's questions!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    My parents need to sell their land AND not get kicked of Medicare/Medicaid.

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 12:14 PM PDT

    My parents have land in VT they would like to sell. It's worth somewhere around $40k.

    The problem is that they are both on Medicare and Medicaid. My father had a terrible stroke, and my mother has cancer.

    If they sell it, they're increase in "income" will make them ineligible for Medicare and Medicaid. Which would be reallllly bad

    Does anyone know what we can do? They're in terrible financial shape, and could really use the money from the land to pay medical bills and debt.

    Any help would be great, I'm also probably leaving out important info, so let me know if more is needed. Please anyone.

    submitted by /u/WintertimeFriends
    [link] [comments]

    Have Money. No Debt. Now what?

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 11:43 AM PDT

    My wife and I (no kids) are 36 with steady well paying jobs. We each contribute 15% to our company 401k and I have a Roth. We have a 10 month emergency fund. The only debt is a car loan with .09% interest rate. We rent an apartment (maintenance free is important)

    We want to do something with our extra cash but we don't have a high investment IQ.

    I've looked into real estate, both flipping and investment properties but we are not comfortable with that idea.

    I don't know what to look for in a financial advisor or if I even need one.

    It took us over 10 years to climb out of massive credit card and student loans. Now that we are out of it, we don't know what to do.

    submitted by /u/brakers9
    [link] [comments]

    If I missed a payment by a couple of days will my credit get dinged as late?

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 04:27 PM PDT

    If I missed a payment by a couple of days will my credit get dinged as late?

    submitted by /u/kippy1234
    [link] [comments]

    Love the grammar, A scam I didn't almost fall for. Link at the bottom linked to a tumbler.

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 02:56 PM PDT

    I mean, someone could've fallen for it right?

    https://imgur.com/Iyy3L0H

    submitted by /u/Magnusg
    [link] [comments]

    Ditching Wells Fargo. Suggestions for good banks?

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 11:56 AM PDT

    I'm ditching Wells Fargo after a whole load of hassle I experienced while deployed overseas. I've banked with them since I was 15 years old, and looking for other good options. I live in the southeast US, but may be moving soon to another state. I know local credit unions are usually recommended here, but I've been underwhelmed with the options in my city. Also, with my potential upcoming move, I'm thinking something national/regional may be a better option. I haven't visited a branch in years, so I would appreciate a robust mobile/online platform.

    submitted by /u/aBORNentertainer
    [link] [comments]

    Non-elderly mom won't or can't take care of herself (US, VA)

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 05:31 PM PDT

    Hi,

    So my mother (whom I currently live with) recently lost her job. Rather, she got herself fired. I knew she was going to be fired 6 months ago. Her best friend died and she's been on a downward spiral since. Ever since he died over a year ago, she'd call out of work at least once a month, sometimes once a week, sometimes even multiple days in a row so that she could spend the day drinking, sleeping, and popping sleeping pills. She's an alcoholic who's addicted to the sleeping pill Sonata. She has pretty severe depression, anxiety PTSD, probably bipolar, and who knows what else. While she had a job, she refused to go to regular therapy. She did go to rehab for a month, but started right back to drinking and popping sleeping pills shortly after, wouldn't go to NA or AA meetings or anything. She also gradually started doing less and less things that normal functioning humans do. She won't feed her birds because she's "afraid of the mice", she won't go grocery shopping, she won't go buy her cigarettes, she won't even go to the liquor store to get her booze. She makes me do it all with the threat of kicking me out, calling me a piece of shit ungrateful son, all of that. The day after she lost her job, I was out of town for work, and she apparently sent texts to former coworkers threatening to kill herself and was taken to the psych ward for several days. She's not serious about looking for work. "What is dropbox or google drive???!" She had an interview a few days ago that she blew off so that she could sleep, get drunk, and pop sleeping pills. Whenever I get home, if she's awake, she just sits on the couch with the TV off looking pitiful. She called me today saying she needs to go back to the psych ward, I said "okay I'll take you now." "No, I want chicken and dumplings and I need clean clothes..... I'll go tomorrow." Sure. "I took care of you for 24 years and no one wants to take care of me!" We (my family) are unable to care for an adult who WON'T do anything for themself.

    My fiancee and I got approved for an apartment. I'm not letting my mom move in with us. She's probably going to lose her house and car. The more I think about it, the more I wish I could just put her in an assisted living type of place. That's the kind of care she needs. But I can't afford it, she can't afford it, no one can afford it. She certainly has no retirement, of course. And she's quite a few years from being able to draw from Social Security. She could probably get SSI cause she's certainly disabled by SOMETHING, but, of course, that would take a diagnoses that she'll never get.

    What is there to seriously do? By the way, we're in Virginia. She's an adult, I'm about to start my life, the rest of my living family has a life, there's no good reason why we should have to take care of her. And lord is she a lot to take care of. She needs more than what the pooled effort of all of us combined can do. It'll sound cold, but sometime I wish the sleeping pills and alcohol would finally catch up with her. She's not happy with life, she probably never will be, she's a burden on me, hell, she's screwed me in many ways in life. I love her, but I'm also so incredibly tired by her. She's too much. Are there any kind of state-funded assisted living facilities that could be an option? I don't know what my options for her are :/

    Oh, and of course, we have filial laws, so I can be screwed if she doesn't pay her medical bills and shit like that?!

    submitted by /u/tylerderped
    [link] [comments]

    Received bill from OD 4 months after exam

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 01:18 PM PDT

    In June, I went to my local optometrist for an eye exam and contact lens fitting. After insurance, I ended up having to pay $10 for the entire process.

    Yesterday I received an invoice from the optometrist's office stating that they made a mistake when billing me and that I should have payed $28 for the exam and contact lens fitting instead of the $10 I originally paid.

    Interestingly enough, it seems that the invoice was printed out in late August and lists the due date for the payment as late September....

    I can pay the $18 no problem, but the only payment option they're giving me is to write my debit card information on the slip they provided and mail it back to them which makes me uncomfortable.

    So what are my options here? I'm new to this kind of stuff.

    submitted by /u/scasa1
    [link] [comments]

    Paying mortgage in split payments instead of monthly

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 11:53 AM PDT

    I was discussing this with a coworker and I have never heard of this strategy before. My coworker payers her mortgage twice a month ($1000) instead of monthly ($2000). She states that it will cut of years off her mortgage. Can anyone verify this? I think it makes sense if interest is compounded daily but I just wanted to confirm.

    submitted by /u/DrCoxIsMyHero44
    [link] [comments]

    Are first time home owner programs still worth looking at if I have enough for a down payment?

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 06:49 PM PDT

    I'm looking to buy my first home/condo etc and was looking at my state's first time home owner programs. I have enough for the 20% down payment and it seems these programs are for people who don't - or am I wrong?

    Are there any other benefits I may have missed? These programs seem to be restrictive in the type of property I can get; e.g size, etc

    submitted by /u/slowestflashalive
    [link] [comments]

    Here we go again. Student loans.

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 05:31 PM PDT

    So. Straight to the point on this one. I'm 30, with a useless degree, starting payments next month. I owe $34,000 ($32ish principal). I work a shitty job and make about $1200 a month. Yes, I know I fucked up. I know. However, I have $10,000 in savings and have no idea what I should do with it. A part of me wants to throw it in the face of my loans, but the much bigger part wants to keep it because I feel safer with it. As you can tell, I'm not very good with money. I am constantly applying for better/more work. I've had a difficult financial life growing up and any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need more details, I'll provide what I can. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/dduem
    [link] [comments]

    My wife got a new job while trying to rollover retirement funds. Now she has a check paid to a 401k account for a company she no longer works for.

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 07:39 PM PDT

    My wife used to work as a teacher about 5 years ago where she was contributing to their retirement plan. She left the profession and got a temporary job at The Home Depot.

    Earlier this year we get a letter from the holders of her teaching retirement account, saying she needs to take a distribution or rollover the funds as they are no longer going to hold her money. Not a problem, add we can just roll it over into her Home Depot account.

    However, immediately after starting the process my wife finds a new job. We got the check from her teaching account when she had one week left at The Home Depot. Unfortunately we procrastinated on mailing out the check. Now we have the check and she no longer works at the company. We tried looking at the employee website for The Home Depot but the option to print off an application that gets sent in with the rollover check is no longer available.

    What are our options here?

    submitted by /u/Thander5011
    [link] [comments]

    Insurance Fraud?

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 05:35 AM PDT

    An insurance agent has signed me up for life insurance without my consent. This agent has alot of my information because my family has other policies with them. They have used my SS#, driver's licenses to fill out the documents, falsified my medical information and signed the documents electronically. They have started to charge my account. Outside of canceling the policy, what should I do?

    submitted by /u/sadguy1363
    [link] [comments]

    Gave out Information to a shady person with my Bank name (E.g. Bank of America) and my accounts (blurred out account number). Am I at a security risk?

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 07:16 PM PDT

    I was looking at an off market house for sale.

    I made an email offer to the wholesaler (guy selling the house, for the buyer... PRESUMABLY) and included a screenshot.

    This screenshot was taken with the Microsoft Office snipping tool. It contained my bank name, and showed that I have 4 accounts with funds at this bank.

    I then used the red marker to draw zig zag lines over my account number for each checking and saving accounts I have. I'm fairly certain their is no way someone could discern the exact numbers.

    How much of a security risk am I in?

    Could this guy theoretically use some sort of photoshop tool to remove the red line that I drew before I sent the screenshot?

    .... Reason i'm worried is because now I'm led to believe this guy didn't actually have rights to sell the house. And that he was running a scam to get non-refundable deposits for it.

    submitted by /u/johnnyquest420
    [link] [comments]

    Rolling CA teachers pension into traditional IRA

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 01:57 PM PDT

    My husband use to work as a teacher in CA but has since changed industries and will not be going back to teaching. He has about $20k in the CalSTRS pension that would pay out about $358 monthly once he hits retirement age. Since we are both 30ish and have decades until we retire, I was hoping to roll it into a traditional IRA over at Fidelity and just put it into a target index fund so it can earn as much interest as possible. Has anyone done this before or have similar experiences they can share with me? Any advice I should know ahead of time before initiating the direct rollover? I have a background in banking and IRAs but pensions are a new subject for me.

    Thanks for your help in advance!

    submitted by /u/maggymac
    [link] [comments]

    Unexpected first-time homeownership costs?

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 09:14 AM PDT

    My husband are starting to roughly budget out our first house budget. We wouldn't be buying for another 1-2 years, but we want to get a budget set so we're prepared when we are ready to buy.

    As inspired by another post on PF, what are some of the unexpected, or less thought of, costs of first time homeownership? I know about the unexpected maintenance costs, like the AC breaking or roof leaking, so we'll have an emergency house fund for those. I'm thinking more like things that someone who's been renting a small apartment will need to buy - things like a lawn mower, guest bedroom furniture, etc.

    submitted by /u/notplop
    [link] [comments]

    I’m American but don’t have a Social Security number.

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 07:10 PM PDT

    I'm in my 30s. My birth was never reported and I come from nothing. I have no family, no formal education. I've worked odd jobs my entire life. I just kind of drift around, saving money as best I can.

    Will I get in trouble if I try to get a SS card now? Like, will that raise some kind of suspicion? I don't have any identification documents. Should I just stay off the grid at this point?

    submitted by /u/TysonBlair
    [link] [comments]

    Should I sell my car to pay off some medical debt and/or give myself an emergency fund?

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 05:59 AM PDT

    36m, no savings, about 5k in medical debt at the moment. I have a 2008 Mercury Milan that bluebooks for maybe 2.5k to 3.5k that I never drive (completely paid off). I own an eBike that I use to get to work every day (I live .5 miles from my office) and I live across the street from the grocery store. I basically only use my car for medical appointments maybe once every 3 months or so. Any advice? Is it worth having a car around for "transportation emergencies" or should I just get rid of it and go car-less for a while which may allow me to pay off some debt and put some in an emergency fund?

    Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

    Edit: I make slightly less than 50k a year and I have no other debts.

    submitted by /u/YahtzeeGrammar
    [link] [comments]

    I'm 15, almost 16, and broke

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 06:54 PM PDT

    I'm 15 years old, live in the PDX area, and I've been looking for ways to make money for a while now. I've looked at jobs, but nobody in my area will hire me at my age. I've also tried looking into a business like Car Detailing, but I'm not certain if I'd get customers during the rainy fall. My friends have made money painting house numbers on sidewalks, or doing work around church (I've done the latter but its inconsistent and I make 100 a month max). I really need to start making money so if anybody here has an idea I'd love to hear it

    submitted by /u/ugly-nails-plzhalp
    [link] [comments]

    Best budgeting app

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 09:28 AM PDT

    Looking for a good budgeting app that I don't have to connect to my bank account

    submitted by /u/cryptodude1187
    [link] [comments]

    Should I diversify across account providers?

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 04:05 PM PDT

    I am happy with Fidelity, and currently have all my retirement and investment accounts with them. Is this exposing me to risk, such as if Fidelity somehow goes bankrupt in 20 years? Would it be wiser to diversify investments, for example, by also having an account with Vanguard?

    For context: 60k income with 150k currently invested, age 35.

    submitted by /u/Ellasandro
    [link] [comments]

    Was checking my credit score on Credit Karma and suddenly it shows it as 0

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 06:37 PM PDT

    I have 20+ years of excellent credit history. Any idea why this may be happening? Credit Karma bug? What should I do

    submitted by /u/supreme-brick
    [link] [comments]

    Help reversing denial for chase sapphire reserve

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 03:45 PM PDT

    Hello! I'm moving to another country in January and need a credit card with no transaction fees, but I was denied for the chase sapphire reserve card today. My credit score is in the upper 700s, and I don't have many credit cards open. I called the reconsideration line. They told me I was denied because I had been delinquent on 2 student loan payments (my mistake, thought my mom was paying them but it was supposed to be me). I quickly paid the delinquent balance off and set up autopay. This was about 2 months ago.

    I've done my research and this is definitely the best international fee free card for me, and I'd really like to get approved for it. Any advice on how I can reverse this decision? Was thinking of actually physically going into a Chase bank to try to make my case.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/mirantelope
    [link] [comments]

    Credit Karma savings account

    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 01:17 AM PDT

    Credit Karma just notified me that they offer Savings account at 2.55 APY. No fees or anything what's the catch? Its through 'MVB BANK'

    Credit karma as a website seems stable enough. But it isnt a bank, and I worry about longevity or shadiness in the future

    submitted by /u/ZJEEP
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment