• Breaking News

    Thursday, October 31, 2019

    Personal Finance My mom, 62, just got fired and only has 15k in her retirement savings

    Personal Finance My mom, 62, just got fired and only has 15k in her retirement savings


    My mom, 62, just got fired and only has 15k in her retirement savings

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 02:50 PM PDT

    She's got a slew of health issues and needs health insurance until she can get on Medicare.

    She was laid off earlier in the year after working for the same company doing admin work for 20+ years. She only started contributing to her 401k there within the last couple years.

    She got a new job a few months ago and was just fired for performance issues. Basically, she couldn't keep up with the technology. She did herself a terrible disservice by spending so many years with a company that never improved technology or processes. They were still taking orders through fax by the time they sold the business and pretty much everyone got let go (because duh, they were all way too behind the times to keep up).

    Unfortunately she is unwilling / unable to get better with computers. It's just not something she is capable of at this point.

    I worry she won't be able to find work now, unless she gets a job as a cashier or something, and I don't know how easy it will be for her to find a job like that that also provides benefits.

    I'm really at a loss here. I had no idea she had so little saved for retirement and honestly, I'm a bit pissed. She was a single mom who didn't get child support, so she claims she was never able to contribute to savings. But we had cable and shit! She could've put $100 a month away for the last 20 years and she'd be in a much better position now. I'm 30 and I have more in my 401k than she does.

    Is there anything she can do at this point? Or are we going to have to have her sell her house so she can afford COBRA and have her move in with us? I could have her watch our kid for us instead of paying for daycare, which would offset the added expense of another person in the house, but I just really don't want to move her in if it can be avoided.

    Another option would be to have her rent out her house and then move in with us. Her mortgage is $800, but she could probably rent it out for $1200 - $1400. Worth it? Idk.

    Anyone else been through something similar? What did you do? What is there to even do?

    submitted by /u/rachdizzy1
    [link] [comments]

    Won a small claims court, judgement says I am owed $1400. Defendant is not paying up, is there some sort of tax write-off for this situation?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 12:14 PM PDT

    Long story short: I moved out. Landlord said everything was all good. Emailed me saying she has financial troubles and can't get the deposit to me in time. I agree to giving her extra time. That time passes, still no money. I open a small claims case. She stopped responding to my emails and has changed numbers. She never appeared at court, so I won. She legally owes me $1400, but can't be reached.

    To me, I have just lost $1400 + $350 in court fees, with no way of getting it back. Is there some way to get this money back through a tax write off?

    submitted by /u/ImSupposedToBeCoding
    [link] [comments]

    Rescinded refi but refi company accidentally paid off my existing mortgage. What do I do?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 08:09 AM PDT

    I was in the process of refinancing my house, however long story short - refi company started getting sketchy on me on the day of my closing. I exercised my right to rescind within the 3 day period after closing. Loan officer acknowledged the rescind and advise that she will proceed with the cancellation. This took place on the 18th. On the 24th it looks like they paid off my original loan and I just found out today. I emailed the loan officer about the situation and she said she will get me in the right hands. I also emailed the closing attorney. Has anyone went through this? What do I do now?

    submitted by /u/Pastel_cookie
    [link] [comments]

    Negative balance on credit card

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 08:18 AM PDT

    This post is on behalf of my mom. She scheduled a monthly $500 to her credit card from her banking/checking account (Bank of America, BoA) Since she hasn't been using her credit card, she ended up having a balance of -$2000 on her credit card. I helped her to cancel the autopay, but she'd also like to move that negative balance back to her banking/checking account. I also know that she can't just transfer $2K in one month due to her credit limit.

    What would be the best way to go about this? Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/throwawaysorry123456
    [link] [comments]

    My (24) results from my first year tracking a budget! Any suggestions to improve?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 12:26 PM PDT

    Link to graphs:

    https://imgur.com/a/NodN1D2

    Info: US 24yo living alone, taking home about $34k annually, and commuting about 35 miles each way to work. I do have a newer used car, which I bought 18 months ago, because I put on a lot of mileage (45k in 18 months).

    I had never budgeted or had a savings account until a year ago. I used resources like this sub to shape my budget. Since then, I'm proud to share the progress I've made, but I'm always looking to improve! Any suggestions or advice?

    FYI living closer to work is very difficult since there are close to zero rental properties near my job. However, I may be moving jobs soon to somewhere with a higher cost of living but much closer to an apartment.

    graph explanations: Entertainment = vacation, movies, video games; Miscellaneous = gifts, random buys, aquarium hobby; Other Auto = oil changes, carwash; Toiletries/Supplies = soap, toothpaste, floss, etc.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/JXNwarrior
    [link] [comments]

    How do you store important paperwork?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 08:59 AM PDT

    I am just starting to adult and need to keep records and receipts. I had a folder, but then that got full. Then two more.

    Am I supposed to get a cabinet specially for paperwork?

    What do you think of scanning all the documents and saving it in Google Drive?

    submitted by /u/JadenCheshireCat
    [link] [comments]

    Does paying off a credit card balance *before* a statement contribute to the 'payment history' part of your FICO?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 01:03 PM PDT

    This isn't a question about utilization

    I hate having to ask, but it's something that the wiki and numerous threads aren't clear on.

    I'm reading all over PF comments that say "if you pay your balance before a statement, nobody will know that you used your card." Wouldn't your card issuer still record usage, or in the very least on-time payments?

    E: Another way of asking: Is a pre-statement payment still recorded as an "on time" payment?

    submitted by /u/Igor_de_puta
    [link] [comments]

    Ideas for jobs that have flexible hours?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 02:02 PM PDT

    So, this is a bit tangential to personal finance, but so many people here give good advice, so I thought I would ask.

    I am the main bread winner in our family and I do pretty well. My wife has a desire to have a job, but is usually qualified only for basic positions at or near minimum wage. We don't require the money, but the extra income is nice and she likes having the interaction. We travel (a few times a year) and usually she does not have vacation time (I get about 5 weeks a year), but time off unpaid is what we want. We are not spontaneous travelers, so we would always give at least a month or more notice.

    It was like pulling teeth to get any of her jobs to allow her to have unpaid time off, she worked in a veterinarian office. We basically got to the point where either she has a job or we can't take a vacation. Scheduling was so tight that they refused to allow time off and would instead try and force employees to work out the schedule for themselves. The constant drama was not with the hassle. I would have thought that a business would not expect employees to be available 52 weeks a year, but here we are.

    My question is, does anyone have any suggestions for a type of job that would be flexible enough to allow for a few weeks a year off? I've been suggesting to her to start her own small business so that she could be the boss, but that has gone nowhere. Im out of ideas and I don't have the energy to start the cycle over again....

    submitted by /u/stickben
    [link] [comments]

    Husband is losing job.. and we have CC debt

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 12:03 PM PDT

    So my husband found out today he is losing his job. He has 2 more weeks of work. Over the past few months his hours had been spotty and and we ended up using credit cards to help with bills (and the fact we just got married 10/6).

    I have 4 cards I'm juggling payments on. 2 of them are no interest financing until 12/20. One of them is 1% interest until 07/21. The other is 14% variable (whatever that means).

    We still have $1200 in cash from wedding gifts. I'm trying to determine the best course of action. Use all of it to throw at cards? Use some and then save some for necessities (food, water, electric bill)?

    CC Amounts:

    $6600 @ 14%

    $8000 @ 1%

    $3300 @ 0%

    $4900 @ 0%

    Edit: I do work a fulltime job. I make about $2800 a month. Bills for the house and car come out to $2000 a month. Does not include his car payment as well.

    submitted by /u/sno_kissed
    [link] [comments]

    HELP: My new employer entered my address incorrectly into the system, so I was taxed as though I was still living in my previous state

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 08:31 AM PDT

    Title, I was taxed too much because I recently moved and started a new job and my address on file was incorrect. I already contacted HR, but what are the next steps? Will I have to wait until tax season to recieve a refund, and if so, are there any special forms I need to be aware of?

    submitted by /u/spurnburn
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I get a medallion stamp?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 05:53 PM PDT

    I'm in the process of gettin my fathers assets transferred to my account after his passing last month and his largest IRA is requiring me to get their transfer form signed with a medallion stamp. I called my main bank Suntrust and asked if they did them and they do but only if they are involved in the assets transfer.

    So since it's all going to a different inherited IRA account, and no one will do them for a non-member or without having the account open for several months, where am I supposed to get this done?

    submitted by /u/Grand-wazoo
    [link] [comments]

    Should I move back with my family?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 05:17 PM PDT

    Back in June my family got evicted from the house we were living in along with three other families because we weren't on the lease.

    My family was/is poor and they suck at budgeting. They had $0 in case of an emergency where as I (23m) managed to save $10,000 in the previous 2 years working minimum wage (I didn't have a car, but I do now, will be paid off by March 2020).

    I would have felt bad not helping, and a year prior we were in the same situation and I helped then too with no conditions. This time I put conditions, I helped them with the deposit on the place they found with the condition that I will never help them financially again unless they pay me everything back. The place they found only allowed 6 people, and we were 7 (Mom, Dad, Oldest Brother, Little brother, Little Sister, my nephew [sister's kid], and me). I opted to move out on my own. I lent them $2200, and the deal was that the four working adults (Dad, Oldest brother, Sister, and Little brother) would pay me back $555 (I added a 1% interest on the loan) each. So far only my dad has payed me back everything.

    I found a room for myself that is $760 a month (including utility bills). It was basically a first for me living on my own. Before we got evicted I was only paying $400 a month, my rent basically doubled. It was my first time getting a car that wasn't fully paid off, so I'm paying $320 a month and the loaner/dealership wanted it to have full coverage with a $500 deductible on comprehensive/ collision damages until the car is fully paid off. Maybe I got a bad insurance company, but that's been costing me $299 a month. I also had medical expenses increase too. Basically everything got more expensive and I haven't been able to save more than 1% of my income a month ($20-22) dollars. My savings is around $7300 right now and it doesn't look like it's gonna improve much until after March and I'm done paying the car off and can reduce my car insurance by atleast $100. That was the plan atleast.

    But now I got news that my sister and her latest boyfriend are gonna move in together Dec. 1st. And her and my nephew moving out will 'cause the rest of my siblings and my my dad to pay more rent where they are at. They are currently paying $600 each (including utility bills) and her moving out will 'cause the remaining three working adults to pay around $800 a month. My mom and dad called me and asked me to move in with them.

    I'd basically be breaking the deal I made with them if I move in, 'cause I'd be helping financially by doing so. I'm looking at the pros and cons for this, and there are more pros for them than there are pros for me if I do move in.

    The only pro for me: is that I'll be saving an extra $160 a month if I move in with them.

    The pro for them: each working adult won't have to pay an additional $200 a month. That's $600 they'll be able to save themselves from if I do move in.

    The biggest Con for me: I'll have to live in the same house as my oldest brother who gets mad at me whenever I talk about my interests at all. He also comes off arrogant and hypocritical to me. When we got evicted the last time he got mad that nobody had anything saved up even though he also had $0 saved up and I don't like that. Before we got evicted he thought I was stupid that I didn't have expensive hobbies and was just putting money away in savings instead of using it. It sure came in handy when the whole family got an eviction notice.

    Other than that, I love my parents, and I hate to see my dad struggle financially. The biggest reason I can find to move in is for my dad. And maybe the cons are worth it to do it, but at the same time, maybe it's not?

    What do you think Reddit? I'm unsure of what to do....

    Edit: I think I've made a decision. You all give really solid advice. I know that distancing myself might be a better option, and maybe it's the best option, but I'd feel like a huge D*** for doing that. A really huge one.

    My dad told me I'd be getting my own room and stuff. And another commenter on here suggested implementing boundaries and sticking to my convictions. I'm going to move back with them, and this will be the third time I will be helping them out, but I will implement boundaries and want my privacy to be respected, and I will not write off the money they still owe me, so I will still be asking for it, atleast once or twice a month. I will give them the months there as a final chance, but if nothing changes for the better within the first three-five months I will move out and cut off contact for probably a really long period of time.

    submitted by /u/OkCThrowaway2264252
    [link] [comments]

    Account manager is Acting suspicious

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 06:46 PM PDT

    Warning : Long

    I have a question on a mutual fund.

    My father set up a mutual fund for me to mature when I turn 25, with the condition I can remove some early if need be to pay for school/housing etc..

    The total in the trust was supposed to end up being 50,000, but through purchasing a house and moving, it is down to 23,000.

    My father thought it would be a good idea to have me take out the balance that was currently in there and put that toward the principle in my house and then he could send me the monthly amount he would normally add to the trust via PayPal until the full 50k was payed out. More financal freedom for both of us so totally alright with me but when I asked the account manager he said he would cancel the trust with the 10,000 currently in there and cut a check in a few weeks.

    I asked for an update a few weeks later and was met with very quick kind of rude responses, which unfortunatly isn't too weird for my account manager, but the kicker is when I ask how the process was going he said "I don't get why you're so excited for 4,000, it isn't much". Which immediately made me on my toes because I know how he is and I walk on egg shells around him as to not have him act out but this was strange even for him and also a fair amount was missing.

    He said he closed the account when the balance was about 10,000 (minus some change) so for 60% to be missing was weird because in the past the most missing was 16% from taxes, even when previously I took out 20,000. So I asked him why the tax rate was 60% when the normal amount seemed to be 16%. He said he didn't know and I should stop arguing with him.

    I haven't got the check yet and I don't plan on cashing until I get some more detailed answers.

    Also the money going in is post income tax dollars, I don't know if that matters because our account manager says that once he buys the mutual funds you have to pay taxes on the whole amount again when you withdrawal it, but now I don't really trust him on that either.

    But I was wondering if this set off alarms for anyone else, I'll admit I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to trusts and mutual accounts so I came here to get a general feel.

    He also is more or less freelance so I don't have any higher ups I can ask about why he is acting strange unfortunately.

    Tldr; Trust manager removed 60% in taxes when withdrawing 10,000 when the most before was 16%, won't tell me why and got attitude when I asked.

    Edit: Here is screen caps of the convo, first time I reached out in a week or so, also the pictures are flipped in order, sorry about that!! Also amounts are changed, I did that for easier math but still similar.

    Edit 2: link fixed http://imgur.com/gallery/BczS6YZ

    submitted by /u/100DollarArches
    [link] [comments]

    What age do you add bonds?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 03:52 PM PDT

    Just threw $6k into my 2019 roth for VTWAX. I also plan to contribute to my company 401k and open up a taxable account for VTSAX/VTIAX.

    That leads me to my questions..

    (1) At what point do I begin adding bonds? I am 27 fwiw and just getting started with only 2k in a rollover ira from my previous employer. now making a salary in the 60s

    (2) When bonds are added.. do you add it to your roth or your taxable account in the future and why? i know the general rule is 30 - your age pr something like that for %

    Would love some answers thanks!!!

    submitted by /u/tyoooo92
    [link] [comments]

    Overwhelmed and I don’t know where to start

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 04:43 PM PDT

    Very long time lurker. Never posted before. I don't really know how this all works. Took me forever to figure out how to start a post.

    My partner has told me he wants a separation after 23 years of marriage. We have tried to work on our marriage, counseling, etc and I thought things were improving. He sees the world vastly differently to me. He has rented a place and wants us to peacefully coparent.

    I don't know where to start getting a handle on our finances as he has taken care of them for the last few decades. I raised kids for a decade then went back to work 8 years ago. We both work but he earns a lot more than I do. We have two kids in college and two in school. I know vague details about what we owe, what we have invested, expenses etc, but feel very overwhelmed at the moment. I don't really know how to figure out what's an asset (our house is partially paid for, so is the part that's paid off counted as an asset but then the amount we owe is a debt?) and just feel embarrassed that I let myself get this out of touch with our finances. I trusted him implicitly to take care of it all as he is very good at it. He loves to play with investments and move our money around. I don't even have a good idea of which investments I can access without penalty.

    Please help. Roast me if you need to for letting him be in charge, but help if you can! Things I need: Advice on how to start figuring out my finances.

    Advice on what I can expect if we divorce and how I will manage on a very low wage.

    Advice on how to keep myself sane and positive.

    Advice on how to heal a very broken heart (probably the wrong sub for this!).

    Thanks for any help you can give. I am lost.

    If I do not reply, I apologize. I probably cannot figure out how to.

    submitted by /u/Warby3799
    [link] [comments]

    Settlement Money, Unsure What to do

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 04:37 PM PDT

    I was in a car accident in january and am finally getting my settlement money after everything. After all is said and done, I will walk away with somewhere between 6-7k. This isn't as much as I was expecting but it is something. Everyone is telling me to save most of it as I have no really savings yet. As of now, it's at around $300 so not enough. I have some dept in collections that is around $4,600 which I wanted to pay off with it and then save the rest.

    As of now, my current net pay is about $1,800 but I just got a $1 per hour raise that hasn't come into effect yet. I feel like after taxes it will only add another $100 to my check.

    Expenses:

    -Health/Dental=$367 (This amount will change in Dec as my benefits go live at work and I will be on their insurance. Have not had my meeting with HR so i don't know the price)

    -Car Payment=$280

    -Car Insurance=$349 (this is the lowest possible I was able to get my car insurance. I shopped around a lot and this was the best I could do)

    -Phone=$47

    Current Collections Debt Payments=$200

    Credit Card=$140 (Balance of $3,500)

    Paying Back my Boyfriend Money I've Borrowed=$100

    Total Bills=$1483

    The only reason why i'm slightly hesitant about spending most of the money is because my situation with my family is really bad at home. Without going into detail, while I am physically safe, my mental health is not and it is just not livable anymore. I'm lucky to still be able to live at home and am surprised my parents still allow me to but I think they just like torturing me. I cannot live a home for much longer though. I imagine at the end of 2020 I will be thrown out if I do not move out before then. Please advise.

    submitted by /u/nightraven262
    [link] [comments]

    Paying extra on loans or saving?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 08:22 PM PDT

    We have student loans at roughly 4% interest. The payments are about 20% of our take home pay. We are living lean enough to pay down double that and have been doing so for quite a while.

    However, I'm starting to think that it might make more sense to just dump that money into a high interest savings account which gives us a bit of optionality. We loose out on 2% interest, but we could pay off the loans once we get the full balance, use it for a down payment, etc.... What do you all think?

    We have an emergency fund of about 2.5 months of take home pay already.

    submitted by /u/franklsw
    [link] [comments]

    Thinking of purposefully dropping dental insurance, as it seems like a very poor cost/benefit - particularly due to the cap. Any good reasons not to?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 12:42 PM PDT

    As the title says, I'm considering dropping dental insurance. The premiums are about $600 a year (~$49/month) and they cover 2 cleanings. They cover 80% of procedures. . . up to $3,000.

    I would never consider not getting medical insurance, because it protects against catastrophically expensive instances. However, the most this would ever cover, no matter how much happens, would be 3 grand.

    We have an emergency fund that is several times 3K, so I'm considering just dropping Dental completely, putting that money into an FSA, and just paying for the cleanings and procedures out of pocket. Looking back at our dental usage, it is very, very likely we will spend significantly less than $600 on dental care throughout the year.

    Any other reasons not to do this? Anything I'm not thinking of?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Terrik27
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know if Wells Fargo will cash a payroll check from Wells Fargo even if I don’t have an account with them?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 08:08 PM PDT

    I'm working out of state, across the dang country from the house, this company only pays out with paper checks and does no direct deposit, I'm 1700 miles away from the nearest bank of my branch. I bank with regions and my checks are over the daily limit on regions mobile banking ap, I went to walmart to cash a check and it's over Walmart's amount for checks. I was going to wire the cash home to the wife so she could put it in the bank back home. So I'm in a pickle, I guess after this job I'll have to switch banks with one that has branches across the country. Don't have time to do it now. So the plan is now to try a Wells Fargo and see what they'll do. Next option will be try to find a check cashing place but I'd like to avoid going to one of those around here if possible.

    submitted by /u/powershirt
    [link] [comments]

    Do I take $30k pay cut for quality of life and eliminate current high stress commission job?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 05:47 PM PDT

    I'm in auto sales with a $10,400/year base salary. I make about $102,000 a year in total on COMMISSION. Before this I was on an extended maternity leave but previously in marketing. I have an opportunity to go back into marketing as a Director of Marketing. Salary is $60,000 with 20% year end annual bonus (guaranteed). Currently I work 55 hours a week. This job would be 40 and work from home on Fridays. Right now I do not have Saturdays off. I have a young daughter and my custody schedule is strained because of my job.

    I have zero credit card debt/student loans. Just a car payment of $550/mo with $29,000 left at 3.49%. My rent is $1,400. Utilities, gas, food and misc expenses come to about $850 a month. This all includes healthcare and my portion of child care.

    I am 26 years old. I have maxed out my IRA this year. I contribute 7% to my 401k (no match). I have $10,000 in an emergency fund and $3,000 in a real estate investment app. I poorly underestimated taxes on a portion of my income and will owe $6-10k to the IRS come tax season which I am not prepared to pay at all unless I drain my liquid emergency fund which I don't plan to do. I am spending the next few months saving towards what I will owe the IRS.

    Being newly separated, this is the first year I have had this job and the first year I have had any money of my own. While I am interested in the opportunity to get back into my field, I feel like I need to keep my head down and hustle where I am for a few more years to really save up respectable amounts. But, having any sort of free time and the ability to have a better schedule with my daughter means something too. This job is also attractive to me because it is steady money, not commission.

    submitted by /u/loveiscloser
    [link] [comments]

    Automatic Transfers and Monthly Budgeting

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 07:41 PM PDT

    I just wrote about this in a comment on another post and I figured I might as well throw it up here to see if other people operate the same way I do or if it might help some others.

    I'd like to start by saying I'm pretty bad when looking at a large mound of money. That is to say, it just looks like it's all spendable and I don't take expenses into account very well. That's the main reason I started doing my budgeting and saving this way. It automates it for me and I have to think about it very little.

    The first thing I do is figure out my monthly fixed costs. These are things like rent, car insurance, phone bills, utilities, whatever you have to spend money on reliably every month is in this category. I then take this cost and divide it by how many times I get paid in a month. If it's weekly, that's the best for me, it makes the math easy and for 5 week months It's my favorite. You divide the fixed costs by your income rotation and automatically have that amount transferred to a bank account specifically earmarked for that cost; the transfer is made right after or on payday. This prevents you from looking at the account on the weekend and assuming you have an extra $300 in it that should go to the rent account on Monday. In months with 5 weeks, it's essentially an extra week of income into that account and usually, there are 4 months in the year which contain 5 weeks. So by the end of the year, you kinda have the 13th month already paid for. Buy 12 get one free.

    The second thing I do is have accounts that have savings goals. This can be a new car, a new washer dryer, a Christmas fund, whatever. Something that's lower down on the priority tier than monthly bills. For these, I think of a nice goal I'd like to attain and a time period to attain it in. I sincerely think the best way to do this is after getting a large ticket item, start a savings account marked for that item and try to save the equivalent amount of money to the item in a reasonable period of time when you think the item might break or need to be replaced. So if you buy a 15k car you think will last you 7 years, you should try to deposit around $50 a week for those 7 years to buy another car in the future. I like to round up as many know it's easier to scale back on saving than it is to convince yourself to save more. This is also an awesome way to save up for repairs to supplement your emergency fund, which can also be funded this way.

    The third thing I do is check a single checking account each month. Since all the fixed costs and savings are individually earmarked, I no longer have to guess if I made money or not after all of the, what I call, fluid expenses. There are things that you just get along the way in the month, gas, groceries, eating out, doesn't really matter. Since the funds for that are all stored in the checking account and are essentially my weekly net since fixed costs and savings are already taken out first. If at the end of the month, I have more money in the checking account than I started with, that means I can either up my savings amounts or just save it up in the checking account before transferring a large amount to one of my various savings accounts. Right now I'm saving it up to do a lump-sum transfer to my IRA for next year.

    Overall, it's like LayAway for your life and I really enjoy the process and ease it gives me in my monthly bills. Feel free to ask any questions or make suggestions. I think this is an easy way to get someone into saving without it feeling so overwhelming. There is still a place for spreadsheets and graphs to see where you may be overspending. You should still make a budget. But, if you think you're looking for a more relaxing way to save, I think this is a good option. I use personal capital to monitor most of my accounts and I think it's the best around.

    submitted by /u/ToolBoxTad
    [link] [comments]

    [Planning/Housing]Not sure if this is the right place for it. But most likely ill be moving from Texas to Illinois, and ... I need to find an apartment after graduation, but I won't have much time.

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 07:36 PM PDT

    So I don't know how to ask, this is overwhelming and I feel kind of lost.

    I am in Texas, work location is in a Quad City.

    So I have a small amount of money saved up. $3k. I'll be getting paid about $63k a year, in December when I start (it starts before I graduate but the company said they'll wait a bit).

    I graduate Mid December and I'll have to travel to Milan and I'll start basically the same week I graduate. How do I get an apartment? How long does it take? And will it make more sense to live in a hotel for a while and then pick an apartment? Im also scared cause the winter.

    I have a permit, but not a license (insurance fee, so I carpool), so I will need to upgrade this to a real license (I can pass it atleast). I'll need to get a car.

    How do I plan? Im doing research, and its scaring me.

    My plan (attempt): call the apartment owners, show paper work, show credit score 720, fly there, and live in the place I booked?? Or probably stay in a hotel for a while. Uber around, get a license, get the car.

    I hope its appropriate to post here.

    submitted by /u/wanderingAbdul
    [link] [comments]

    How do I know what my Modified AGI is to know if I can put $6k in my Roth IRA?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 01:34 PM PDT

    When I look at my paycheck I've got a Gross Total and a Taxable Gross Total. What am I looking at to ensure I don't go over the $122,000 AGI for the full 6k to a Roth for a single individual?

    submitted by /u/TwinCessna
    [link] [comments]

    Can I retroactively claim a year of ACA premium subsidies as a tax credit if I haven't received any during the year?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 07:09 PM PDT

    This year, I signed up for an ACA plan in January, which began in February. I can't remember what I put for my expected income, because I had been consulting for years and had wildly fluctuating income each year, so I just guessed. Unfortunately, I've suffered from severe health issues this year and have ended up earning next to nothing this year, but as I'm in a non-Medicaid expansion state, that's meant I've simply had to pay for my bronze plan from savings. My thinking was that I could sell some stock and do some part-time work to generate enough income by the end of December in order to retroactively claim a subsidy in January when I file my taxes.

    1. If I haven't claimed any subsidy at all during the year, can I still qualify for retroactive subsidy/tax credit for the entire year when I file taxes in January? (Someone on another sub said I can't do this, if I didn't get any subsidy at all during the year, but I've found some Web sites online that say it is possible/allowed.)

    Again, I'm in a state that didn't expand Medicaid. So I need to have enough AGI by the end of the year to get to about $12,300, I think. Am I allowed to retroactively claim subsidy for the plan I will have had for 11 months of this year?

    I am not trying to game the system, but I want to follow the rules, and if I can retroactively claim a premium tax credit for the insurance, that would be great.

    Thank you for your time.

    submitted by /u/comments83820
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment