• Breaking News

    Tuesday, October 22, 2019

    Personal Finance If you're renting, you need to run credit and criminal checks on all adults

    Personal Finance If you're renting, you need to run credit and criminal checks on all adults


    If you're renting, you need to run credit and criminal checks on all adults

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 09:07 AM PDT

    Hi. Just like a PSA. I have friends who recently became landlords and despite my advising them strongly they needed to run background and credit checks, they didn't. Guess how that turned out. I used to work as a property manager and the reality is most folks who turned up, couldn't get approved. I learned quickly not to judge a book by its cover. Lots of lovely, polite people with horrific rental history, credit or criminal past. Let the big complexes who are desperate for tenants be the ones who deal with the bad credit, terrible tenant history, criminal history folks. There are many people out there just hunting for a private landlord who doesn't check and as soon as they're in, they won't ever pay again. My friends looked into their history after the fact, yeah, this is their M.O. exactly. They'll never see a dime meanwhile they're paying the mortgage and water and now for the eviction which will take months.

    Check. Every time. No exceptions.

    submitted by /u/queenannechick
    [link] [comments]

    I cut my food bill down by 75%!!

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 07:05 PM PDT

    August and September I added I spent almost 800 bucks on food. I spent 400 on groceries and the other 400 on going out eat. This month i only spent 215 on groceries and 35 going out to eat! I'm really proud of that

    submitted by /u/marissadavv
    [link] [comments]

    My parents are ruining my finances - and my fun. How do I get rid of them?

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 02:53 PM PDT

    Long story short, my parents have been unemployed since I know them. They don't own their own house, they have no sources of income and have raised three kids (me and two younger sisters) off govt checks which barely covered housing and food.

    I dropped out of high-school, moved abroad and started working jobs with terrible conditions, at 5 euros/hour without a contract and 12 or 14 hours per day. I have invested all my money into self-education (professional courses, etc.) and eventually got a good job in computer security some years later. I am now 22, live in the Netherlands and earn way above the local average. I have a side business and occasionally freelance, give courses, etc. I earn 100k/yr (gross) in total, which is pretty amazing here.

    I have always helped family but I have grown tired of having to support my parents when all they do is watching tv series and sleeping all day. They've always done this. I have tried everything, from using a bit of empathy and being nice to bursting into rage and shouting to them how poorly I think of them. I have been trying to have them writing a CV for at least 8 years. I am tired.

    It will sound cold from someone earning well, but please understand I have been supporting their "lifestyle" even when I was earning $5/hr. I've done construction work and risked my life in building sites without any security measures. I've been into therapy for this. I am done. I cannot enjoy myself because I just burst into rage when I think about them. This sounds like a marriage of convenience, but with... my parents.

    Is it right that I want to get rid of them? Should I?

    submitted by /u/nwafanz
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a used car for free!! ??

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 06:41 PM PDT

    I bought a Mitsubish eclipse for $5K from a used car dealer. They charged my American express via square payment processing. Well, it turned out that the car was not street legal so I brought it back. The dealer said he would refund it to my AMEX - but after about a week, it never showed up. So I called my AMEX to put a stop payment and report it as a potential "fraud" - so AMEX started their own investigation. About 2 weeks in, I went to the dealer to ask him where my money was - well, instead of the money, he offered me another car. After thinking about it, I decided since I needed a car - and trying to get money back from him would be like pulling teeth, I took the car. This car was street legal and it was a good car. It wasn't perfect, but it was "ok".

    Here comes the funny part - AMEX gave me back my $5K. Their investigation found that it was a fraud since the dealer never returned their call. So I got my $5K back - but I felt guilty - So, I went to the dealer to offer him the $5K because I did get a car out of him and I just figured he was out $5K. Well, the dealer told me that he has his $5K and had already spent it - so he didn't need anything from me. So not sure what to do. Where did this $5K go? I called AMEX and they told me that I owe them nothing. The $5K never went to the dealer ... What the ...???? Any advice on what I should do? I'm just afraid in 5 years, somebody is going to be knocking at my door claiming that I owe the $5K plus interest. At this point, I don't even know who to pay? Nobody wants my money ...

    thanks

    submitted by /u/reduserabc
    [link] [comments]

    21, Made horrible decisions in life. 12.5k in debt.

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 06:14 PM PDT

    Hi,

    It took me a very long time to realize that I have been spending more than I make and owe and needed to make a change. I have made horrible financial decisions by applying for and using credit cards and personal loans like no one's business because it felt good to have money to spend.

    I've written down my expenses and calculated my income.

    I make $17 an hour and work 40 hrs a week as a line cook and wouldn't trade it for the world. It's the best line cook gig I've had in years and I don't know any other position like it could compare to how great the pay is, so changing jobs is not an option for me. It also feeds me, so buying food thankfully hasn't been an issue.

    Breakdown:

    Monthly income: $2098.22 after taxes and state taxes

    Rent: approximately $600 a month

    Gas/Energy: $95

    Internet: $140

    Now for the good stuff:

    Credit Card and loan debt has an incredibly high interest rate ranging between 20 and 35 percent.

    I have about 9500 in personal loan debt with a $425 min monthly payment

    I have 4 credit cards:

    1: $126.12 balance, $30 min

    2: $159.65 balance, $62.54 min

    3: $1,347.23, $41 min

    4: $1617.02, $63.64 min

    After doing the math on this I have $506 left to spend on necessities or to pay more on one of those debts.

    So, what can I do to better my situation? Is there anything I'm missing and if so, what? Any suggestions?

    I have already began to sell the things I don't need and I'll update on my progress.

    submitted by /u/MahDang
    [link] [comments]

    Putting most of my money into a savings account. What are some options?

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 05:12 PM PDT

    My current situation goes like this:

    27 years old

    -$0 in debt

    -making $200K-$250K a year. I work a union job hourly pay so this varies, but work is consistent as a journeyman, I could potentially make upwards of $350k, but should never dip under $200k given the historical amount of overtime my line of work sees.(everyone needs electricity) , hourly may raise if I move into a foreman position in 5-10 years.

    -maxed out yearly 401k, roth ira, and HSA.(maxed contribution since I started my apprenticeship at 23y/o)

    -given i stay with this union(which i think i will), I should have pension, annuity, etc at retirement age.

    -rent and utilities are 1,200 a month( 2,400 split with housemate), 2014 accord is paid off, paying 100 a month to insurance

    -I try to spend at most $400 a month on food, etc.

    -leaves me with roughly 10-11k a month with around 150k in an ally savings account.

    I grew up poor so one benefit is that lifestyle inflation doesn't really get to me, what are some of my options? Taxable brokerage account?, mega backdoor? or should I really be seeing a professional financial advisor.

    submitted by /u/hoonlee96
    [link] [comments]

    I compared my grocery order on Walmart Pickup vs. my chain grocer (Frys Clicklist - a Kroger brand) - Walmart was (as expected) cheaper, but surprised at how much cheaper

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 02:40 PM PDT

    Below is my grocery list for the next couple days. This was not intended to be a representative list or any sort of standard sample. This is my actual grocery list. I always knew Frys was more expensive than walmart, but I liked (on principle) not shopping at walmart, and felt like I was supporting a better employer by shopping at Frys, however I love walmart's grocery pickup service. I was surprised at how much more expensive Frys was.

    I put both of my orders into the online ordering system. For my list of 16 items, the difference was $10.63 - this was really shocking to me - 34% more expensive! I thought this was interesting so I decided to share.

    When doing the compare I used store brand for store brand, and if the package size differed, I priced per ounce (for the basil, bacon bits, and the sun dried tomatoes). Frys didn't have parmesean triscuits, so I priced in two boxes of the regular triscuits.

    https://imgur.com/a/mi7QDcw

    edit: in response to a comment about store brands not being comparable (I only did that for pizza sauce and for the bacon bits) I looked up brand name for those two products, and used Ragu pizza sauce and Oscar Meyer bacon bits - the difference stayed basically the same (a little higher) at $10.92.

    submitted by /u/thatgirl2
    [link] [comments]

    LF ADVICE: Dealer is attempting to change Car lease terms after signing

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 03:01 PM PDT

    So I signed my first-ever lease for a car. I've never been a car-lease kind of person due to my approach to spending on cars.

    I signed a lease on a Hyundai Electric Vehicle (due to some crazy deals they were clearing out). Purchased from a Maryland dealer. I live in DC, which I found out from the dealer 12 days after signing, that leased vehicles are subject to a 10.25% sales tax on the purchase value of the car (not the lease payments), even though the car is being leased. This is adding anywhere from $2100-$3100 to the cost of the lease (extra $61+/mo for 36 months). The finance officer called to apologize that they made a mistake on the calculation and even though I asked several staff before signing whether there would any other charges after signing, they assured that the signed lease was the cost for the term of the lease.

    I told them that I made the decision to lease the car based on the quoted price (and the price I signed at). I asked them to propose a workable solution.

    I like the car. It was a great deal. But I don't want/need the car if I have to pay the new lease rate. Any advice on how to approach this when I go in to discuss this with them? thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/EquivalentVermicelli
    [link] [comments]

    Should I refinance my mortgage now or wait for it to go lower?

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 06:11 PM PDT

    One year ago I bought my home and have an interest rate of 4.625%. I am seeing rates a point lower at 3.625% after a quick search of the internet. Given that refinancing costs money (or adds to the loan amount) and rates might go even lower if the US economy worsens, should I refinance now or wait?

    submitted by /u/TarquinusSuperbus
    [link] [comments]

    Company has reached out to my mother and I offering to connect us with money from my late grandfather, only if we promise 25% finders fee

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 11:58 AM PDT

    My Grandfather passed away in Feb 2017 and after a lengthy probate process we were able to execute his last will which entitled us to 50% each of his estate.

    The process with his Credit Union was much easier, and quicker. We were the only beneficiaries and the check was quickly issues, his IRA, checking and savings accounts were given to us within weeks of his passing.

    Two years later my Mother and I are getting letters in the mail informing us that there is unclaimed money that we are entitled to and that if we sign a form promising 25% of it to be given to the company in the event, and ONLY in the event that the money was tendered to us.

    We sign the forms and return and in quick fashion the company lets us know that there's some 200+ stocks with the firm he worked at for nearly 4 decades.

    They listed the account number and amount that the stocks were worth at the time of his passing, listed my mother and I as the sole beneficiaries and that we would be signing over all of the money to this company, who will then disperse the money to us.

    This is my first red flag, IF there was money, which I am doubtful of, the contract seems legit enough that they couldn't legally leave us out to dry and run off with the money.

    The second red flag was that my credit union didn't want to give me a "medallion signature guarantee" stamped notarized form without a CoD and a copy of the will. When I got in contact with their representative they said just get everything else but that notarized and then they would just put the stamp from their broker.

    Honestly, my question is what recourse can this company really take if I just go to the firm and request the stocks be given directly to us. The paper we signed did specifically state we would still owe them if we decided to do that, but I skeptical how true that is.

    Any help would greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/charliemajor
    [link] [comments]

    Help with Health Insurance scenario

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 07:05 PM PDT

    Here is our scenario...it will cost nearly $900 per month for health insurance through my small employer. Employer covers $500 and $400 comes out of my paycheck (this is about a $400 a month increase from last year). We get nailed for every 5 year increment in age...the next jump will be un-affordable. We are a tiny company (four full time employees).

    It will cost $500 a month to add my to my wife's employer plan...kids are already on her plan...same provider as my employer.

    Can my employer just give me a monthly salary increase of $500 or equivalent quarterly bonuses to help cover adding me to my wife's plan?

    submitted by /u/Flagdun
    [link] [comments]

    1st credit card

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 08:18 PM PDT

    I'm 21 years old and I'm looking to get a credit card for myself. What are some things I need to know and what is the best place to get a card through?

    submitted by /u/Jayton31
    [link] [comments]

    Whole life for a minor

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 08:14 PM PDT

    I am getting whole life for my 3 year old. I am trying to understand what is the best way to pay for it. Should I just pay directly or gift him the money and then have him pay for it? Are there any benefits or negatives in going one way or the other. In US we can gift 15k per parent a year to the child in pre tax dollars.

    Not looking for pros and cons of getting or not getting whole life. I am pretty set on getting this for personal reasons.

    submitted by /u/insatiableevil
    [link] [comments]

    Zelle on Discover

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 12:22 PM PDT

    Zelle just went live on the Discover App! It took a little while, but here it is ladies and gents.

    Personally speaking, anyone know if there is any talk/deal in the works to have Charles Schwab use it as well?

    submitted by /u/5_Star_Safety_Rated
    [link] [comments]

    Student Loans drain me down to $0 every month.

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 04:33 PM PDT

    I work for a fair trade company in sales, put 40+ hours per week, drive UberEats on the side, have a room in a shared house and have to go to the food bank every weekend to be able to pay rent and my loans. It's destroying me and leaving me stressed and frustrated monthly. I feel as though I've done a budget and still only have $150 extra a month to save without unexpected expenses/entertainment.

    submitted by /u/Contagious_Diarrhea
    [link] [comments]

    Stupid to commit to house/apartment in town while looking for jobs out of state?

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 07:19 PM PDT

    Hey, r/personalfinance.

    I've (31, M) been in a transitional period in my life since May. I ended a long-term relationship and moved back in with family.

    The temporary move has been mostly great for me in terms of personal finance—barring car payments and additional costs (gym membership, internet for the family house), I've been able to save almost every penny from every check.

    I'm stable enough after several months to jump to a new place independently. Get an apartment or even entertain the notion of purchasing a house. In my area, buying a house is a much more affordable avenue than getting a lease for an apartment.

    But here's the conundrum: I'm actively applying for jobs outside my area. And I've been doing so for a long time. More than a year. A couple of close calls, but nothing promising. I don't know how long it will be before I move, but I really want to move, because the markets and industries I'm applying for have zero presence where I'm located.

    Ultimately, it feels like I'm putting life on hold, wasting time in my family's home when I could be prowling the market for something that might give me back my adult independence. I just don't want to be locked down when/if a job opportunity in another city calls my name.

    Am I out of line in hesitating to make a move? Or should I absolutely be aggressive in seeking out a home away from the family?

    TL;DR - Broke up with girlfriend, moved in with family. Stable enough to purchase my own home/rent my own apartment but in the process of looking for jobs out of state. Worth waiting until job opportunity to make a move?

    submitted by /u/Zenn-Latte
    [link] [comments]

    We haven't worked in the US for 2 years, so we can't get a loan. Good salaries and credit score, and no debt. Has anyone been in this situation?

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 05:42 PM PDT

    Hello! My husband and I moved to the US last year and after renting for a while we want to buy a house. He's American, but he hasn't worked in the US for more than two years either. However, he's kept an excellent credit, we don't have debt, a combined salary of 100k+ and a decent amount of other liquid assets.

    We've talked to several lenders, big and small, but nobody has been willing to offer us the $200k mortgage we're looking for. We can put down 20% and all of that, but they all say the same thing: "you guys haven't been working in the US for at least 2 years; it's our guideline".

    So my question to you all is: has anyone dealt with this situation successfully? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/patbobbie
    [link] [comments]

    I just got kicked out of my house at the age of 18 after a fight with my family. I live in Toronto, and I don't know what to do past tomorrow morning.

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 05:39 PM PDT

    I am writing this on an alternative account from my main one in a hotel in Toronto. I have $1800 and a MacBook Pro on me only, and I don't know what to do. I have no solution or help, and the thought of being homeless is literally killing me. I just started a recent job and also about to start training for a second one, and I am suppose to continue my studies in February, Any help is appreciated, I am literally so weak right now just balling my eyes out.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/FFFFFFFZZZ
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord asking for additional payments for items not in lease

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 04:10 PM PDT

    I just started renting a townhome from this landlord a few months ago and it's been mostly smooth. Today I received an email requesting money (~$40) for an "annual storm water" payment that apparently he handles as the owner.

    Is this considered part of my utilities or should this be included in the lease terms? I'd certainly rather pay $40 than create trouble with my landlord, but I don't want to open myself up to anything by accepting these sorts of casual requests for additional payments I didn't originally agree to.

    Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

    submitted by /u/dj615
    [link] [comments]

    If you're thousands of dollars in student debt how do you accept that you'll be broke for a while if not the rest of your life?

    Posted: 21 Oct 2019 04:19 AM PDT

    I owe $100k in student debt and have no clue how I'm gonna get out of being broke. I'm already struggling to get my rent and other things paid for. The thought of buying a house and starting a family sounds out of the question lol. I know things can change but I really feel fucked and that this is how it's gonna be. I'm gonna be broke and stuck like this for the rest of my life.

    submitted by /u/bayfarm
    [link] [comments]

    Card in the mail with gift cards and coupons, is this a new scam?

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 06:43 PM PDT

    Hello, mobile Reddit so excuse the layout.

    I received a card in the mail, addressed to me, with no return address. Opened it to a card, that's says congrats on the pregnancy (which I'm not) and there's a bunch of coupons for different stores and items, and gift cards that are "activated" totaling $245. I'm not really sure what to do or think of it. Is this some kind of new scam that people are trying?

    submitted by /u/ZombiePandaX
    [link] [comments]

    Someone just tried to use my debit card, bank declined the transaction--are there any next steps I should take to protect myself?

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 02:55 PM PDT

    A few hours ago, my bank informed me through email that they'd declined a suspicious transaction. I don't recognize the transaction and replied accordingly; they said they'd follow up for additional information. Should I be worried? Do I have any next steps to take to protect myself? Should I just sit tight and wait for the bank to handle everything? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/jesuisunchien
    [link] [comments]

    Safe deposit box and document security question

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 01:18 PM PDT

    I just paid off my car. Hurray. So the bank is mailing me my title. And I'm aware that the title is the legal ownership of the car so it should be stored securely and aware from the car itself.

    So I was looking into getting a safe deposit box but neither my bank nor credit union offer one...

    Which leaves me with storing it in my apartment. How do you all store car titles? What about social security cards or other official documents? Should I get a lock box for my closet?

    submitted by /u/StrwbrryInSeason
    [link] [comments]

    Umbrella insurance dependency on home and auto insurance

    Posted: 22 Oct 2019 06:37 PM PDT

    I have been using the same insurance company for many years for my homeowners, auto, and umbrella insurance policies.

    I was looking around for a better auto insurance rate and found a more favorable quote at a different company. I would like to switch but then I found that my umbrella insurance policy is dependent on my homeowners and auto policies. The exact statement used in the umbrella insurance policy document is "Named insured agrees to maintain the following Required Underlying Insurance Coverages and minimum limits during this policy's term." It then proceeds to list my current auto and homeowners insurance policies.

    What is the recommended course of action in this scenario? Should I switch all three insurance policies to a different company?

    submitted by /u/DeliriousHedgehog
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment