• Breaking News

    Monday, October 28, 2019

    NooB Monday! - (October 28, 2019) Entrepreneur

    NooB Monday! - (October 28, 2019) Entrepreneur


    NooB Monday! - (October 28, 2019)

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 06:12 AM PDT

    If you don't have enough comment karma here's where we can help.

    Everyone starts somewhere and to post in /r/Entrepreneur this is the best place. Subscribers please understand these are new posters and not familiar with our sub. Newcomers welcome! Be sure to vote on things that help you. Search the sub a bit before you post. The answers may already be here.

    Since this thread can fill up quickly, consider sorting the comments by "new" (instead of "best" or "top") to see the newest posts.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Combating Human Trafficking

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 08:37 AM PDT

    So recently I was on a road trip from Colorado to Wisconsin and back with my girlfriend. I noticed, at every gas station we stopped in, they had this number to call specifically for if you were being trafficked or needed help. I really appreciate the thought and purpose of it but the execution seems....sub par. How many people in those situations have access to a phone? So I thought what if, instead of the sticker with the number, what if there was a button to push, like a silent alarm? That would alert police to the situation and they could coordinate some sort of procedure with local businesses. Thoughts? Really curious what other people think.

    submitted by /u/lengelmp
    [link] [comments]

    I refuse to use Instagram or Facebook on moral grounds.

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 04:13 PM PDT

    My business is in real estate, and is doing great. Could I garner more business with IG or Facebook? Who cares, I am making money, and feel good mentally knowing I don't participate in a platform which is doing it's best to divide the world, so that a few can make a lot of money.

    I look at all these questions on Reddit, along the lines of, "How much should I spend on IG influencers, or on Facebook ads?" and think that they are just giving their money away to fascists. I mean, how much did you make spending on your influencer? Ask yourself if a young girl on IG knows about a damn thing. Everything on IG and Facebook is so artificial and full of shit, that I just assume they are lying when promoting a product these days. Did you really make money from marketing through that platform? I understand it is trendy, but there is no magic pill when it comes to marketing, and it seems as if everyone out there has been fooled into thinking that they need to spend money on Facebook on IG.

    What do I do to market? I do my own SEO, website development, I knock on doors, I network, and get a ton of business from word-of-mouth, I design and edit video and digital media, and am pretty much a one-person show at this point. I even have a commercial drone pilot license, and do that too... My marketing budget is like $400/year, and I gross over $100k.

    Best of all, my mental health is much better. I used to spend a lot of time on Facebook doing self-promotion... It was soul sucking, and never got me the business I wanted. EVERYONE is so full of shit these days and it is the most obvious on Facebook, and IG.

    If you care about your fellow humans, and the Planet you live on, it would be best to nuke your Facebook account today and never look back. I haven't missed a damn thing since I quit.

    submitted by /u/humaniteer
    [link] [comments]

    Business that helps people get out of debt legitimately.

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 08:28 AM PDT

    So over the past 6 months I've been working with my best friend and his wife to get them out of debt. They aren't out of the hole yet but because I showed them how to create a budget, modify payment dates, negotiate interest rates, and use budgeting techniques they went from negative 410 dollars a month and +20,000 thousand in credit card debt to positive 297 a month and 15,600 in debt an decreasing.

    I found so much enjoyment in being able to help them I'd like to help others is their a way I can do this as a business, do I need licensing of some kind?

    Edit: misspelled word

    submitted by /u/ssryoken2
    [link] [comments]

    Is dropshipping actually dead or just misrepresented?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 08:48 AM PDT

    I'm considering going into dropshipping because I'm sick of my software engineering life. I am fucking over writing code all day.

    Now, I've selected a niche product line in the marine supply industry that I am knowledgeable about, with a supplier that ships anywhere in the US 2-6 days, and internationally, and I've been using my tech skills to build a WooCommerce site. The product from the supplier is also price competitive with what others are selling at.

    Am I naive to think that I can add value by helping people choose the right product for their boat? I've been writing incredibly high quality articles that cover choosing the right unit, ensuring fitment, and performing successful installation.

    Is dropshipping truly dead, or does it just get a bad rap from all the "gurus" claiming you can make a fortune selling generic jewelry?

    submitted by /u/80kgofshitina60kgbag
    [link] [comments]

    Does Jeff Bezos go to the DMV?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 08:37 AM PDT

    I imagine he has an assistant or a service to this for him - does anyone know how that would work?

    submitted by /u/ehmatt
    [link] [comments]

    No formal Business Education, how do you suggest I proceed

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 10:11 AM PDT

    Man I am aching to continue my one day being an entrepreneur journey but I don't have a formal education in Business. I got a bachelors degree in culinary, learned about inventory, ROI, FIFO ect. I hated the work and learned to program and started doing that. I'm always looking for my next venture, but I'm affaraid theres alot of things I don't know I don't want to put my self out there and fall flat on my face because I didn't first give my self the proper education. Are there any free spots to learn these skills? websites ect?

    submitted by /u/familydude213
    [link] [comments]

    Started a web development firm in Ontario - wondering if anyone knows if you could have clients outside of the province without first registering the business in the province where your client operates. Thanks!

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 12:35 PM PDT

    I'm finding it difficult to understand what it means to "do business outside of your province". Does this mean having clients outside of your province? Or Does "doing business outside of your province" mean you have a business location registered in another province? If so, is it legal to have clients outside of the province that you've registered your business in without first registering my business in the province where my client operates in?

    If anyone has experience with something like this, I'd love to get your input on this. Thanks so much!

    submitted by /u/neighbortotoro
    [link] [comments]

    A Business idea I'm participating with in the Hult Prize challenge

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 11:45 AM PDT

    So each year, the Hult Prize team issues a big bold challenge aligned with a large market opportunity inspiring students from over 121 countries to solve it's greatest problem. This year's theme is "Bold Businesses for a better planet".

    Since Nearly 20% of global waste water is produced by the fashion industry, the business idea I came up with is an apparel brand that aims to let your wardrobe be as minimalistic as possible, here's how:

    1. Custom fit clothes: using an innovation developed by Japanese E-commerce company ZOZO named ZOZOsuit; it's basicly a suit that, with the help of an app, takes your full body measurements to help design apparel that fits you perfectly. The clothes won't be knitted manually. Using an innovation called 3D Knitting, a specialized machine knits the apparel in one whole piece so that the measurements taken previously would be precisely applied.

    2. Smart clothing: Using an innovation named Textile Computing which basicly knits sensors and actuators into textiles, giving them the ability to sense and react to the human body. With Textile Computing the clothes become connected measuring your heart rate, temperature, your muscles state etc.

    3. Colour changing clothes: Through ChroMorphous innovation, apparel can change colour with the help of an app. The technology developed by the university of central Florida uses pigments embedded in the thread respond to a switch in temperature and then change color.

    What are your thoughts?

    submitted by /u/20ZOO
    [link] [comments]

    Best inventory management for brick + Mortar and Website

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 11:12 AM PDT

    Hey guys! I have a consumer product coming to market in the next month or so, and i have a question for you all. What is the best inventory management tool i can get?

    A little background- we are a consumer cleaning product for cleaning high end sneakers. My business partner has two brick and mortar stores where we will be selling our product from, as well as our website and amazon/ebay.

    My question, which is the best inventory management product for managing our product across the various stores and e commerce platforms? He currently uses square, but just wondering if there is anything better out there

    thank you for your time

    submitted by /u/BCN10
    [link] [comments]

    Which CRM should I integrate with first?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 01:48 PM PDT

    I'm building an app that is involved with conferences and calls. I'd like to integrate with a CRM. Which do you recommend for (a) ease of integration, (b) potential promotion from the CRM company and (c) market reach?

    submitted by /u/shamoons
    [link] [comments]

    What podcasts have helped you in your entrepreneurial journey?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 01:39 PM PDT

    I'm a huge fan of podcasts, and I'm always on the lookout for other podcasts that I can almost passively weave into my day, but that can have profound, real results. If anything comes to mind from this question, I'd love to hear it! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/fairlywittyusername
    [link] [comments]

    How to market research something that doesn’t exist yet?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 01:37 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I've been grinding on this for a few months and haven't had a ton of luck figuring out how to go about getting some feedback from a sample of people on my business idea.

    The bases of the business has been done (subscription boxes) but the exact category I'm going for hasn't. The only thing I've really found is a place you can pay $1 per survey to get an idea of what people think of the product.

    I was hoping you guys would have some tips or tricks or maybe can point out something obvious I've overlooked.

    Thanks for your time!

    submitted by /u/dragon2047
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone app iMoney Pays You To Download apps

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 01:29 PM PDT

    You download the app and open it for 3 minutes and get paid. Ive earned $200 usd since May using it. iPhone only and Canada/USA only. You can delete the apps you download once you get paid. You can earn $5 within first 20 minutes of downloading easily. Pays to paypal/amazon and more.

    https://static.tryimoney.com/html/web_static/share/index.html?code=138722%2F&fbclid=IwAR0gQ5nRyRrxZerTWUFaJCwMEO1-vnY4rAusYC7v3HoHbCSL817_s7yUcjM###138722###

    submitted by /u/logic565
    [link] [comments]

    Feeling Stressed Tips

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 12:56 PM PDT

    I have a client where I manage their SEO and PPC. It's the first month, but I'm so stressed. already with them They had some issues with their CPA the month prior, so I rebuilt everything from scratch and the numbers are not great. Their SEO on the other hand is starting to do really well, so it's not the end of the world.

    My problem is my stress. I' dream that I'm staring at my laptop freaking out over their performance constantly. I have other clients that pay me well, but this is like an 80/20 focus which is not great for my business. The next month is rolling up and they may or may not continue with me, but part of me feels like I should move on from this client since we are on a monthly contract status. The stress is getting to me bad and I feel annoyed all the time that my other accounts are doing fine, but there's is not. I performed the same PPC strategy as the other accounts, but this one is not working.

    What are your thoughts? Should I work through this and hope it gets to the level of my other accounts, or just end this?

    submitted by /u/tmblast1
    [link] [comments]

    We’re 6 months after securing $1M+; here’s the biggest thing I learned

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 05:09 AM PDT

    Hey Redditors,

    A few months ago, I wrote a post about how three friends and I quit our jobs and started STEPS, a platform that lets people share information about places and things they love. Since then, things have happened pretty quickly. We secured more than a million dollars in our first seed round, expanded our team, launched, pivoted, and launched again.

    I thought I'd share some of my insights with people here because I think it might be helpful to others in this subreddit. If you find this interesting or helpful, please let me know so I can write other relevant posts.

    The most important thing I learned: our predictions and assumptions about how the product ought to be were false. We spent months thinking about and planning each detail, but the real learning happened once we entered the market. User feedback was the essential factor in developing our product; we needed to get out of the conference room and into the field.

    Here's how it happened:

    STEPS is a platform enabling communities to build customized maps by collaborating with their members. But it didn't exactly start that way. We started with one map where anyone could add whatever they wanted – the jazz bar for the non-tourists, the hidden street mural, the best gluten-free cookies, etc. – all on one map. After launch, our map exploded with places and points of interest. Within the first two weeks, there were thousands of what we call "steps" added. People loved the idea, but they were overwhelmed with too much non-relevant information. The map was getting a bit messy. The jazz enthusiast found spots she hadn't known about before but didn't want to see all the gluten-free treasures on her map.

    We struggled to find an organized solution that would preserve our initial idea and keep the platform with just one map. We needed to pivot. Our platform had to be community and niche-based to best meet the needs of STEPS' users. We had to adapt quickly and make maps tailorable to particular communities. So, we developed an updated product that allowed users to create and access unique maps based on their interests while staying on one platform. Communities can create, manage, and share maps made by them and built for them. Now, street food seekers can easily find their eats without seeing information about secret antique collections (unless they want to of course :).

    Our pivot and relaunch were successful. Users love the updated platform. But now we're facing an expected challenge: how to engage community managers and contributors who can create, moderate, and attract users to their particular maps.

    I'd love to hear any thoughts and suggestions about how to face this challenge and, of course, answer any questions you may have.

    -----------

    We made a short video to explain the app a bit more. If you want to take a look :):

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAFbmKGYmpg

    Download:

    Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.steps.app.steps

    iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/steps-discover-explore/id1449597018

    submitted by /u/Baz0r-
    [link] [comments]

    Am I too slow?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 12:27 PM PDT

    Hi everyone! I am a senior cs student. Last summer i had free time, and i had a lot of business ideas. I chose one of them and started working on the idea in the beginning of July. It was a web app aiming anyone playing football as a hobby.

    Whoever I talked, I got always positive feedbacks even some of them excited with the idea there is someone doing it finally.

    However when it comes to build app, i got too slow. I haven't involved in a web app project before as neither backend nor frontend developer. I was in backend team in the last company i worked part time, but i did deep learning works not the web actually. First thing I bought courses from udemy and started studying. Four different comprehensive courses, took a month to finish almost. When it comes to August, i started actually working on the project but i felt too slow since i always ended up googling how to's. Besides i spent a lot of time on colors, grid layouts, botton shapes, etc. that i shouldn't. (i did write frontend again with a new ui framework after i finish this one, lol). I wanted to have MVP before the semester starts, but i am not even close to that, after a month the date semester started.

    I have implemented basic login register functionality for both user and facilities and the basic functionality required for reservation process(for football pitches). There is also a minimal profile page and basic security settings.

    It still lacks fundamental features I was planning to add such as match management and team management.

    And yet last week, i was too irritated by my landing page speed I changed it tenth time, which is obviously an unnecessary work but i couldn't help myself.

    I want to open it to small set of user in a small city to test it, but now i have very strict schedule(school&part time work) and cannot find time to finish those fundamental features. Am I too slow? I had read a lot of comments here stating 2 month is more than enough to produce MVP. After 2,5 months full time and 1,5 months part time working on the project i still have a very minimal, buggy(gui bugs) web app. Can anyone suggest me a way to be faster?

    submitted by /u/bekicaga
    [link] [comments]

    General Contractor/luxury home builder

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 12:13 PM PDT

    Hey y'all. I want to start a business in luxury home building, and I'm looking here to see if anyone has some experience in this field that I could run some ideas by.

    My main point of focus would be looking for a competitive advantage in prefabrication. I think that modern day construction is woefully obsolete, and that whoever takes the next strides will come out on top.

    Another topic I'd like to discuss is entering the market- I've been working in management for the last few years but I dont have any hard time as a journeyman. With that in mind it feels foolish to come out the gate as a full service GC. Instead I've thinking about starting as an owners rep and slowly transitioning into a builder. This would also allow me to start with little to no capital. Has anyone ever done this?

    I'm not planning on starting anything for a few years at least, but I want to start doing my homework now.

    submitted by /u/scobeavs
    [link] [comments]

    How many SaaS tools you use in your startup

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 08:19 AM PDT

    I just started a new product not long ago, and in the first couple of weeks, I found myself on-boarded around 10 different SaaS/IaaS tools. It just feels like I can't live without tools like G-suite, AWS, intercom. mixpanel, hotjar, and more dev related tools.

    Feels like companies today using hundreds of different SaaS tools. What do you think about this phenomenon, any difficulties you experience with so many SaaS? How do you find new SaaS tools to help you scale your business?

    submitted by /u/scopsy
    [link] [comments]

    Gifts?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 11:52 AM PDT

    Hi Entrepreneurs,

    My boyfriend has recently started a business, revolving around marketing for businesses.

    I'd like to get him some nice Christmas gifts that support this new business effort.

    Any ideas?

    What would have been useful for you when first starting out?

    I was thinking maybe a session with a business consultant?

    Budget up to $400

    submitted by /u/arieljoc
    [link] [comments]

    Mark Cuban and others talk about the biggest startup marketing mistakes

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 08:03 AM PDT

    "Solving a problem that doesn't exist" is hard to accept for many of us. http://blog.escalon.services/5-marketing-mistakes-small-businesses-must-avoid

    submitted by /u/reddyplayer12
    [link] [comments]

    Giving away my ecommerce store - was doing 40k/mo, now doing 500-1k/mo

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 11:15 AM PDT

    [Mods - please reach out to me if this post is problematic. I would love to provide verification if necessary!]

    Hello all! I am looking for someone to take over my drop shipping store. I know, this sounds like it's a scam, but it really isn't. The store is in bad shape, but someone with the time and skillset to utilize the resources (email list, loaded FB pixel, etc) that we have acquired with this shop (talk about these below) can really turn this shop around.

    Here's a bit about the store:

    We primarily drive traffic through an algorithm that my partner created. The algorithm scrapes user information from Instagram, then invites them to our ambassador program. I would say 90%+ people who order from our store have discovered us through this program. We have 200k+ people on this email list that we have not done any cross-promotion/email marketing with it.

    Here's a screenshot of our revenue since inception:

    Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 7.39.05 AM.png

    (324K)

    Revenue has been steadily decreasing. Why? We did not innovate on our ambassador program (no time, was in university when I created this store). My partner and I still don't have time to innovate on this, as I am co-founding a startup and he is a full-time software engineer. Instagram has changed *a lot* over these past 3 years, and an ambassador program such as ours is not as powerful as it once used to be. I am trying to give this store away quickly as I have just been recruited to another startup's founding team and just don't have to time of day for this store.

    Note: We have 3 VAs that worked on this store for 2+ years. All three of them are VERY hard working, know drop shipping like it's their middle name, and have done everything for me over the years. Processing orders through Oberlo, responding to PayPal claims, posting and scheduling social media posts, answering customer support emails. They've done it all.

    It took me a while to find three hardworking assistants that had the smarts and integrity it takes to work online. Honestly, I went through 7 other people before I found these three hardworking contractors. I would *love* to give you their information so that you can work with them once I give you the store.

    Also, I have probably 20k+ words worth of docs written on managing the store (i.e guidelines on posting to Instagram, how to process orders, etc). I will also happily transfer all that info for you to use.

    Some possibilities for expansion/good points:

    • Create an outreach campaign for the 200k people we have on the ambassador program email list
    • Set up retargeting ads - we have a very well-aged FB pixel
    • Be more active on our Instagram account (15k followers) + try different ways to monetize it

    Liabilities to consider:

    • We have a 2.7k loan that we are paying off for Shopify Capital
    • We have many unprocessed orders (100+)

    Currently, we are doing about 500-1k/mo in revenue - a far cry from the 40k we were doing at our peak.

    If you're interested, please feel free to DM me! :)

    submitted by /u/brockielove
    [link] [comments]

    From plastic to fuel.

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 11:04 AM PDT

    I have come across this startup from India. It has been moving the plastic waste into extremely low pollution fuel. This can be the next billion dollar idea to pursue. Especially looking at the plastic waste that we create every day. From wrapers to bottles.

    Company: Rudra Environmental Solutions. Place: Pune, India Turnover: ₹10,00,000/month Employees:25 Video link- https://youtu.be/c_bNmiDYn5g

    submitted by /u/tusharg19
    [link] [comments]

    Facebook marking MailChimp landing page as spam. Anyway to combat this?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 10:39 AM PDT

    Facebook marking MailChimp landing page as spam. Anyway to combat this? Domain has already been marked as against community standards, so unable to use actual website. It is for a hunting and fishing store, and that's not in line with Facebook policy, as to why the domain is blocked.

    Other options for email providers to collect them?

    TIA

    submitted by /u/targetstotuna
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking any tips and advice for a first time entrepreneur

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 10:32 AM PDT

    In the spring I will begin my mobile auto detailing business. Any speed bumps I should expect in my first few months ? What's the best way to begin attracting customers ? Anyone with some tips/tricks/advice on any aspect is appreciated. Don't want to leave any stone unturned

    submitted by /u/Rannim
    [link] [comments]

    Selling beverages b2b

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 09:36 AM PDT

    Anyone have experience with this? Lots of companies I know are providing employees various bottles drinks/beverages at their workplaces (At least in the Bay Area), has anyone had experience selling to these companies?

    submitted by /u/PC_player543
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment