• Breaking News

    Monday, October 28, 2019

    Stocks - r/Stocks Daily Discussion Monday - Oct 28, 2019

    Stocks - r/Stocks Daily Discussion Monday - Oct 28, 2019


    r/Stocks Daily Discussion Monday - Oct 28, 2019

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 01:08 AM PDT

    These daily discussions run from Monday to Friday including during our themed posts.

    Some helpful links:

    If you have a basic question, for example "what is EPS," then google "investopedia EPS" and click the investopedia article on it; do this for everything until you have a more in depth question or just want to share what you learned.

    Please discuss your portfolios in the Rate My Portfolio sticky..

    See our past daily discussions here. Also links for: Technicals Tuesday, Options Trading Thursday, and Fundamentals Friday.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Deceased Grandma bought me Disney stock 20 years ago, how do I access it?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 07:45 AM PDT

    So in some time between 1999 and 2002, my grandmother bought me an undisclosed amount of Disney stock. I do not have any account information, but I did check www.missingmoney.com to find that I have four dividend payments in my name that went unclaimed in Ohio. I am listed as owner, and my deceased grandmother is listed as "co-owner." I have visited https://shareholder.broadridge.com/disneyinvestor/ to try an access my stocks, but I do not have any of the account information. When calling the aforementioned agent, I am met with requests for account information that I do not have.

    I want to see how much those stocks are worth, and then cash them out. How would I go about doing so?

    Thanks.

    EDIT: After speaking with an agent on broadridge, I was given a phone number to call. They input my name and confirmed with SSN and are sending my unclaimed dividend checks to my house with documents that will include with account number. Thanks everyone for your help/guidance.

    submitted by /u/edwardtolby
    [link] [comments]

    $TSLA - Which discrepancies made TSLA analysts so wrong about their predictions of Q3 earnings?

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 06:58 PM PDT

    "On Wednesday, the auto maker reported adjusted third-quarter earnings per share of $1.86, which was down from $2.90 in the prior year, but way above the 46 cent loss expected by Wall Street. Tesla generated revenue of $6.3 billion for the quarter, versus the $6.4 billion estimate."

    submitted by /u/atallerballer
    [link] [comments]

    $SPCE - Virgin Galactic starts trading on Monday. 10/28. To infinity and Beyond Meat.

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 10:10 PM PDT

    This could be one of the successful reverse IPO stocks this year. Good luck trading.

    submitted by /u/Stockbaron
    [link] [comments]

    Found an interesting breakdown of the history of companies on the S&P 500. Fascinating to see how the makeup of the index has changed over time.

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 10:19 AM PDT

    Might be useful for predicting future change too (is IT going to keep killing it or not?), which could help figure out how to invest. Full article here

    submitted by /u/SquareBat
    [link] [comments]

    Alphabet dips on earnings miss

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 01:17 PM PDT

    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/28/alphabet-googl-earnings-q3-2019.html

    Earnings per share: $10.12 vs. $12.42 per share expected, per Refinitiv consensus estimates.

    Revenue: $40.5 billion vs. $40.32 billion expected, per Refinitiv consensus estimates.

    Traffic acquisition costs: $7.49 billion vs. $7.48 billion, according to FactSet.

    Paid clicks on Google properties from Q3 2018 to Q3 2019: 18%

    Cost-per-click on Google properties from Q3 2018 to Q3 2019: -2%

    submitted by /u/coolcomfort123
    [link] [comments]

    $TSLA: Should I take profit?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 06:45 AM PDT

    I mean it went up about 30% in less than a week. And it's such a volatile stock. What do you guys think?

    Should I cash in at the end of this week? Or give the stock another month or so before cashing out? 30% gain in a few days is very unusual, even for a stock such as Tesla.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/b10m1m1cry
    [link] [comments]

    Beyond Meat stock slides despite earnings beat

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 01:14 PM PDT

    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/28/beyond-meat-bynd-earnings-q3-2019.html

    Earnings per share: 6 cents vs. 3 cents expected

    Revenue: $92 million vs. $82.2 million expected

    The company's lockup period will expire Tuesday.

    submitted by /u/coolcomfort123
    [link] [comments]

    Google miss earnings in Q3

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 01:13 PM PDT

    Why $FIT continue to grow?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 08:14 AM PDT

    $FIT is about 50% up (two month period) . Do $FIT still have some grow potential ? Shouldn't it suffer from trade war? Why it continue to grow?

    Is it because of rumors it will be acquired by big fish?

    submitted by /u/Ted225
    [link] [comments]

    New to the stock market, looking for advice.

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 01:04 PM PDT

    18y/o Canadian looking to start buying to hopefully make some money for further investments. How accurate is google's stock price tracking? I'm thinking of starting on Questrade, but any recommendations and alternatives are much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/TheYoungFrogMan
    [link] [comments]

    Tesla’s Elon Musk knew SolarCity faced a ‘liquidity crisis’ at time of 2016 deal, legal documents show

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 12:51 PM PDT

    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/28/musk-deposition-stockholders-v-tesla-solarcity.html

    Emails just unsealed from a lawsuit against Elon Musk show the Tesla CEO was well aware of the 'liquidity crisis' facing SolarCity as he was pursuing the 2016 acquisition.

    Shareholders are suing Tesla over the $2.6 billion deal.

    According to the documents, Musk also testified that the company's solar roof tiles were not yet functional as of June 2019.

    submitted by /u/coolcomfort123
    [link] [comments]

    PGE bid price is $4.17/729. Does that seriously mean if I don’t own 729 shares I can’t sell them?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 10:26 AM PDT

    Also what if PGE goes bankrupt because of the fires? Do you just lose your shares?

    submitted by /u/meinAccounten
    [link] [comments]

    Are you beating the overall market? - Honest answers only please!

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 10:12 AM PDT

    I've come across some data recently that shows most investors lose money over the long term when picking individual stocks vs the benchmark index. On average, retail investors only make 2% compared to the ~7% the index returns.

    I'm only looking for honest answers here, so please don't inflate numbers or performance for bragging rights.

    • If you go to your online broker, and look at the last 5 or 10 years of performance, and you compare it to the benchmark (S&P and/or TSX), are you currently beating it?
    • If you are beating it, how long have you been investing, and do you think you can keep beating the broader indexes over a 20+ year time frame?
    • If you are not beating the indexes, why do you continue to pick individual stocks?
    submitted by /u/LuxGang
    [link] [comments]

    Do you ever just type in letters to find stocks you may not have heard of before?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 11:43 AM PDT

    I found some of my favorite stocks this way

    submitted by /u/meinAccounten
    [link] [comments]

    What to do with paper share certificates

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 09:17 AM PDT

    Forgive me if this question gets asked often in this sub.

    I have a few paper share certificates in UK companies that were issued some time back. Taken together, they add up to a few hundred pounds that I would like to cash in. I now live in Switzerland (ie, non-UK resident), so the companies themselves refuse to sell the shares on my behalf, and the Swiss high street banks I've asked about it have looked at me weirdly.

    Any suggestions or ideas? I'll be very grateful.

    submitted by /u/marksmad
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on Shopify, Mastercard and Pfizer before earnings tomorrow?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 08:44 AM PDT

    Any thoughts on the above 3 listed?

    I think Shopify has already baked in a solid Q in the price, so not sure about the potential increase if it does beat earnings.

    Mastercard and Pfizer, seem to be better value at the moment? I would love to hear what people who hold these 3 and their outlooks on them.

    submitted by /u/learningman33
    [link] [comments]

    Organised list of stocks ranging in value from $1 to $15

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 02:27 PM PDT

    Forgive the "green" question but i'm looking for an organized list of stocks sorted by category (tech, securities etc) from an independent source where they are not selling a course or looking for me to buy the list or advising me on how to trade.

    submitted by /u/naivasha09
    [link] [comments]

    Shorting the market?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 02:10 PM PDT

    Any thoughts on if now is a good time to short the market? I'm looking to possibly short the S and P 500, but I'm not sure if now is a good time. Any advice is helpful!

    submitted by /u/andrewrush001
    [link] [comments]

    Dividends from funds?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 02:01 PM PDT

    So i have money in a few funds, and have had so for roughly 8 months. I can see which stocks the funds consist of, and several of them have dividend yields. I would expect that you get paid dividends from those stocks through the funds, considering that you own some of those stocks if they're a part of the funds you are invested in. I can't imagine that you just miss out on them.

    So considering i haven't received dividend payments into my account, i imagine it's included in the % gain of the fund itself? I used to think that i would get money deposited into my account but it doesn't look like that's how it works with funds. If that's how it is, a fund is really just growth based, so that i have to sell some of it in order to receive cash, or am i wrong?

    TL;DR: if a fund is up 10%, does that include for example 3% dividends and 7% growth, or is it just growth. I'm guessing the former

    submitted by /u/HankMoodyMaddafakaaa
    [link] [comments]

    What you guys think about TWTR rn

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 01:55 PM PDT

    hey reddit twitter has had a few very bad days after earnings i think twitter stock dropped too much what do you guys think? Im thinking about buying at 29.00 do you guys think it will go lower? I don't think the earnings were too bad the stock dropping 25% is crazy any twtr shareholders here have any opinions? i think now is the time to buy twtr

    submitted by /u/angelmercado23
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on BYND

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 10:02 AM PDT

    With earnings coming after close, what can we expect? I saw that Mcdonalds, Dunkin, and other food chains have begun testings rollouts. With the addition of Stuart Kronauge and Sanjay Shah, to me, this company shows signs up an uptrend.

    submitted by /u/michaelhope4
    [link] [comments]

    any subreddit for basic options questions?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 10:01 AM PDT

    Or maybe some good soul can reply here:

    I want to purchase options. In my country, that means if stock price is 100 and the call option is 5, that means only 5 will be deducted from my account (I can later sell or exercise the option before expiration).

    However, I also have now a TD Ameritrade account in USA, and I tried to purchase 10 Tesla calls now, a bit out of the money (USD 380 expiring in November, think r/wallstreetbets), but instead of the ~ USD 50 I was expecting, the summary of operation showed ~ USD 4 K... (I didn't go ahead).

    What is the point of options trading if it will deduct the full amount of the stock? What settings I might have selected wrongly?

    disclaimer: Yeah, I know amateurs should not mess with options, but I restrict myself to calls, never puts.

    submitted by /u/steak_tartare
    [link] [comments]

    Not able to sell PUT option.

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 12:49 PM PDT

    I am down only 5% on my PUT option. It expires on Nov 2nd. Strike price of Google 1200$.

    When I try to sell it says I will get 0$ for this. Why is that the case?

    submitted by /u/yushey1
    [link] [comments]

    How do you think AMD is going to do for the earnings this week?

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 09:57 PM PDT

    Me personally I think there going to do quite well and I might buy some more but I would like to get a second outside opinion.

    submitted by /u/n4torfu
    [link] [comments]

    Is this normal?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 12:15 PM PDT

    Are these straight lines normal? I've never seen a chart like this.

    https://imgur.com/a/ykeiXTf

    submitted by /u/Horesonus
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment