• Breaking News

    Tuesday, October 15, 2019

    [NC] Neighbor's property line extends into our driveway; She's asking us to relocate our driveway so she can build a fence at the true boundary. Real Estate

    [NC] Neighbor's property line extends into our driveway; She's asking us to relocate our driveway so she can build a fence at the true boundary. Real Estate


    [NC] Neighbor's property line extends into our driveway; She's asking us to relocate our driveway so she can build a fence at the true boundary.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 07:03 PM PDT

    *x-posted to r/legaladvice & r/homeimprovement.

    Neighbor lady's property already has a fence that defines the edge of our driveway. Her property is a corner lot & the existing fence runs along the long side of our lot. I'm unsure how long it has been there (cannot find any permits online), but clearly long enough that every owner prior to her hasn't challenged the boundary (as made evident by the fact that our driveway exists where it does). When we had our property surveyed, we were made aware of the discrepancy, but didn't think much of it since a fence was already in place.

    Fast forward to yesterday, neighbor lady comes to our door & asks when (not if) we intend to move our driveway so that she can reclaim the 4' of her property that it overlaps. Our driveway is about 11' W currently & sits right up against the house. The other side of our house is bordered by an alley easement (no longer in use, but also not land we own), so there is literally no other spot for a driveway & there is no street parking in our neighborhood.

    We feel like she backed us up against a wall (or perhaps a fence) & we're wondering if we have any recourse beyond asking her if we can purchase the land our driveway occupies (haven't broached that topic with her yet). She offered to horsetrade & give us the land for the driveway if we give her the same amount out of our backyard, but that creates other issues for us (and leaves everyone with a bizarre jogged fence & property line). I totally understand her perspective (presumably: it's my land & I want it to be incorporated into my fenced yard if I ever sell this house), but it's not a very neighborly approach to a discrepancy that's been around for almost a century.

    Other (relevant?) info: We live in an old urban neighborhood & the parcels were defined in 1911, so the borders aren't square; her property overlaps our driveway by 4' at one end and 2' at the other (total of roughly 650sf of land). Our home was built in 1928 & her's was built in 1946. The existing curb cut from the street aligns exactly with the position of our driveway. I have no idea what she intends to do with the extra 4'. That part of her yard is currently an undefined flowerbed with lots of low ground cover & mature trees--not exactly usable lawn. From previous conversations, I know she doesn't intend to add additional square footage to her house.

    Questions:

    1. Is there any legal precedent for maintaining existing use of land?
    2. If she decides to force the issue, are we SOL and without a driveway?
    3. If she wants to play ball with us purchasing the land, would it be reasonable to split the cost of a surveyor to redefine the parcels?
    submitted by /u/SoupSaladBreadsticks
    [link] [comments]

    No permit for windows due to not meeting egress requirements

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 06:11 PM PDT

    My husband and I are first time homebuyers in the Bay Area and we are in the closing process on a flipped home. We've discovered that the HOA has issued a violation letter for not getting approval for the retrofitted windows, and part of that HOA approval process includes getting the city to issue a permit.

    The permit has been issued but only for SOME of the windows in the property. There are 2 bedroom windows on the second floor that are not covered by the permit since they do not meet egress requirements - the window sill is more than 44" above the floor, and the reason those windows can't be changed to meet that height is due to the exterior roof line being at 46".

    The sellers say that changing the roof line would cost too much, but they have already performed the retrofit. I talked to a representative at the city and was informed that those windows can't fall under grandfathered code before the 44" egress rules since the sellers have already touched/changed the windows. So even if the sellers were to return the windows to the originals, they would now be required to adhere to the 44" rules.

    (The whole roof line height barring adherence to egress rules would also kind of be an HOA issue since they would have to sign off on that structural change too.)

    We don't know yet if the HOA will lift the violation letter if the permit only covers SOME of the windows. But IF they do, how serious is this case of not having permits? Is it a smart move to continue with the purchase or should we back out of the contract to avoid having to deal with issues with selling in the future without the window permit?

    submitted by /u/shoelaces789
    [link] [comments]

    (LA) It appears that my new home was built with a bad mix of concrete

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 02:32 PM PDT

    Ah, where to begin. I'll try to keep this brief, as it is a pretty simple explanation. I just don't know where to go from here.

    My wife and I built a new home about 2 years ago, closed January 4th of 2018, and the slab (post tension) was poured roughly around this time in 2017. As the first few months went on, we always come in through the garage as that's just the way the house is laid out, and I noticed I constantly had to wipe my shoes before walking on the tile, as we had constant grit on the floors. No big deal, it's new concrete, right?! As time went on, I noticed some small (tiny) pieces of concrete and aggregate beginning to chip at the base of the garage lip (right where the garage door comes down). This has led to a weekly amount of tiny rocks, aggregate, dust, sand...you name it, forming at the lip of the garage that i'm constantly sweeping up. It looks like little half inch craters on a volcano. Fast forward to today, the entire garage sill is completely broken up. It's not cracked, but every time the car tires roll over it, one or two more little pieces of gravel comes loose.

    I submit a claim in our online portal to our home builder (we still have some warranty thing that the builder will come and fix certain things up until a certain amount of time). I got a terrible response from the home builder customer care person, saying they've seen aggregate come to the surface, and that it will stop. Then, they tell me they'll have the concrete provider come look at it. The concrete provider gives me some BS report that it's delaminating, and that once the small surface amount wears off, it will stop crumbling..... I'm not buying. You can literally scratch away "powder" with a screw driver on my garage floor and garage sill.

    This is everything in a nut shell, which leads to my big question... What's my next step?? Do I get the concrete tested by a third party? Do I contact my Home owners insurance and let them fight this fight? I've been very hesitant to throw out that i'm considering legal representation, but i'm fearing neither the home builder or the concrete supplier are going to raise their hand and say "IT WAS US!" (that's sarcasm).

    The builder is talking about putting some type of bonding agent over the floor and sill, and re pouring the sill to make it look smooth again. I'm thinking, this is polishing a turd. If the concrete below is sh*t, then this is just a bandaid.

    I'm fearing my slab is no good, meaning the house that sits on it is no good. Even if the slab is okay and it's just a problem spot, this is going to really hurt our resale on a brand new house as no one wants to deal with foundation problems.

    Sorry for the rambling, please help with any insight on my next move.

    submitted by /u/thisisnoturthrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    Flipped a large studio into a two bedroom apartment for rent. How to proceed with city and filing taxes?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 11:22 AM PDT

    Hi guys,

    Long time lurker of this sub and appreciate you all for the invaluable advice over the years. I bought a large 1000 sq ft studio that has a den with a window and closet already built in to the apartment, which the prior owner was using as a home office. I had a contracting company come and build a divider wall using sheet rock and a barn door to effectively create a 2nd bedroom in this studio apartment out of that den. I did not obtain any permits from the city and did not change the property from a 1 bed 1 bath, as it was listed, to a 2 bed 1 bath. I am now renting out the new bedroom so I am looking for advice on how to handle this the best way possible. With this new bedroom and the renovations made, I'm assuming the appraisal value will go up by 40-50k however I am not looking to sell anytime soon and will be doing long term rentals. Should I keep it as a 1 bed 1 bath on paper or will that get me in trouble when it is tax time?

    Thanks in advance for the help!

    submitted by /u/sprinklecrack
    [link] [comments]

    Closing on my first rental building this Friday

    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 04:10 AM PDT

    From your experiences is there anything I should be expecting or aware of?
    What was your first closing like?

    submitted by /u/AmNotReel
    [link] [comments]

    Name for marketing and client relationships.

    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 06:25 AM PDT

    My wife has passed her real estate exam, got licensed, and joined a brokerage and is wanting to start marketing. She's been having a dilemma in how to introduce/market herself. Should she go by Jenn or Jennifer? I know it may seem trivial but it's really something she's ruminating about. Thanks for all your help.

    submitted by /u/Wowplays
    [link] [comments]

    According to my insurance broker the home I bought two weeks ago is suddenly uninsurable.

    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 06:24 AM PDT

    After binding us for insurance at closing through Citizens it was noticed that there were two patches on the roof. So citizens has cancelled our insurance at the end of this month. Due to recent mold issues at our current property our broker can not find us any other insurance so we will have to take the expensive "forced place" insurance provides by the mortgage company, which is ridiculously expensive.

    I would not have purchased this home had I known it was uninsurable. I also would have pushed back on the seller to pay for the new roof (or at least part of it) while I still had some leverage. Is this attorney time?

    submitted by /u/halffro777
    [link] [comments]

    Considerations of co-owning a duplex vs. buying alone?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 06:10 AM PDT

    What are your opinions of co-owning a duplex with another couple (4 people on the mortgage) and splitting it evenly versus buying it alone and renting out the other half? Is it worth the stress or is it better to go it alone?

    submitted by /u/Youmightthinkhelov
    [link] [comments]

    Tennancy agreement is dated wrong what do i do?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 03:51 AM PDT

    Hello, Recently i just moved into a new apartment in the UK with my girl friend of 5 years. When we were signing the tennancy agreement on 26/09/19 i noted that the agreement had a start date of 21/09/19 and we were not due to move in until the 27th but ended up signing for the keys on the 28th (the clostest date they were available to come meet us at the property and sign them over).

    My concern here is that i have lost 7 days of my tennancy (which has a value of £276) due to them not wanting to change the date of the contract and i was under the impression the tennancy should have started the date that i got the keys. Also to note i received a tennancy deposit certificate after the TDS was completed and they stated that i payed the deposit and first months rent (1,200 pcm and £1,384 5 weeks rent deposit) on the 21st of the months when in reality it was payed on the 27th when they requested funds. What can i say to them as when i asked about it they said that the tennancy started on the date of the contract even tho i hadnt payed anything yet nor had access.

    submitted by /u/rfjansen
    [link] [comments]

    Allowing pets in rental with carpet?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 05:55 PM PDT

    I have a unit that has carpet through out. I had a tenant that is interested. But, she has two rather large dogs. What has your experience been with dogs in rentals particularly where the entire flooring is carpet? Do you allow pets? Would not allowing them cut alot into my tenant pool? Also, what type of fee do you charge?

    submitted by /u/aoksiku
    [link] [comments]

    Home inspection came back with foundation issues. Curious what my options are as a realtor.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 08:56 PM PDT

    My client found the perfect home. It's a flip built in 58'. The home inspector ripped apart their work. A lot of nitpicking, but a few serious issues came up. Mainly mold in the crawl space, and foundational cracks in the crawl space on the front right and left side of the house. The cracks exceed half an inch, and go through a couple of the blocks. Right now the selling agent is trying to tell me it's not a big deal and the home inspector is just trying to scare us. I called bullshit. My client doesn't want to spend $500 for an engineer to come out. Outside of that our option is to have a foundation company come out and do a free estimate on repairs. Where we stand now the selling agent thinks we are blowing things out of proportion, and my buyer doesn't want to spend anything to fix the foundation. If it's as bad as I think it is repairs could be anywhere from $3k-$7k. I realize having a company conduct a free estimate they will want us to hire them to do the job. An engineer will be honest and tell us if it's necessary. My plan is to submit the estimated cost of repairs for the seller to cover in the form of closing expenses for my client. I don't want to kill the deal, but I believe it's in the best interest of my client to walk away from this. Has anyone had experience with this situation? Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/RogueOneWasOkay
    [link] [comments]

    US citizen buying house in Canada

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 08:54 PM PDT

    Hey guys- seeing a lot of conflicting information on this. Anyone have any direct experience?

    submitted by /u/Boneyabba
    [link] [comments]

    When a home has a heating system with ducts, but no AC, can I upgrade the system to do both?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 10:23 PM PDT

    Considering buying a home in Dallas. Some homes will have a heating system w/ducts, but no AC. A lot of them are beautiful, but the no AC hurts them. Can I upgrade a heating system, so it can do both AC and heat? Does HOA have to be notified about such a thing?

    I'd be willing to jump on a cheaper property, and buy a whole new system. I'm looking at 1000 sq feet, max (townhouse/condo). Is this feasible?

    submitted by /u/the_underdog01
    [link] [comments]

    How do other Realtors deal with the depression?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 01:35 AM PDT

    I'm in my second year as a part-timer. I know most in the community will say that I "need to take the full-time plunge" (as my broker did on Day One), but I'm really glad I didn't now. First year generated 22k in commissions gross. Of that a bunch of time and money was spent driving people around (who may or may not buy), and endless showings with no end. Lots of lookers in my area I guess.

    Don't get me wrong....not ready to give it up at all! But now in the depths of my second year and it looks like it will turn out AT BEST as the first. Ugh.

    I really feel I have the perfect personality for this career. I'm a bit older, easily talk to people, have good financial sense and am a quick thinker......so all should be good, right?

    I have had some successes but feel like I'm just barely treading water until the next closing check. I still have a part time job that keeps me afloat for bare necessities, but that's it.

    My Question:

    How do successful realtors deal with these inevitable slow periods, or periods in between sales. What the hell happens when you've got NOTHING your back pocket?? I'm terrified to quit my day job having seen what a roller coaster this can be.

    Thoughts appreciated.

    submitted by /u/haveadrinkorfour
    [link] [comments]

    [Q - PA, US] is there an obligation of confidentiality between *former seller agent & current FSBO seller?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 05:37 AM PDT

    This house was FSBO for 6-8 months. It changed in price, upward two times.

    Then, my former landlord, who's a successful loan officer and agent was suddenly their agent.

    It sat for maybe 8-10 months. The price went up & down incrementally three times. Somewhere in that time, there were two different periods of "in contract" or "sold" posted on his sign.

    Finally, it turned back to FSBO, with an even higher price than whatever it peaked at in either past situation an has been sitting there for now 6-8 months.

    Obviously something is fishy about the home. I know it had no actual kitchen and no central heating system. Current lady seems like a religious nut and has been using a wood stove and space heaters and electric griddle/burners.

    But that was all listed on the realty website. I'm considering looking into the place if it can drop another $30-50k. So can I ask my former landlord what's up? Or if there is an issue is he obligated to not get into details?

    submitted by /u/personable_finance
    [link] [comments]

    Multiple realtors

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 11:00 AM PDT

    So my wife and I started looking at houses, and started contacting agents and brokers to show houses to us. We have looked at a few houses, but now I have several (7) lines of communication open with different agencies. How do I make the decision on who to use as my buying agent? I feel as if I'm using these people!

    submitted by /u/tonydick642
    [link] [comments]

    Best Way To Network with Industry PPL ?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 11:37 PM PDT

    looking to network with agents and not sure how to do it. is there a convention or " watering hole " to look out for ? located in NYC

    submitted by /u/badbaddoc
    [link] [comments]

    Question about renting out a townhouse

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 02:30 PM PDT

    I'm looking to purchase a townhouse with 4 beds and a basement solely for the purpose of renting each unit to multiple different tenants. My question is this ideal and heard of or do townhouses generally only are rented out by one person ?

    submitted by /u/doxta987
    [link] [comments]

    Closing costs on a construction loan

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 11:05 AM PDT

    We made it through all of the other issues with our construction loan that I've posted about here. And had signed our closing disclosure documents only to get a last minute call from the lender saying that his office "did the math wrong" and we now owe $4500 more for closing. That would be ok if we hadn't already paid $20,000 for closing. And that was $3000 more than they asked for. So their mistake was more like a $7500 one. Is there anyway to "fix" my lender messing up like this? Or should I just pay the $4500 and get on with it?

    ETA We are in the USA, Alabama. The $17000 for closing was not entirely closing costs. The home we're building did not meet the 85% appraisal value to not need a down payment. So that $17000 was for the down payment and closing cost. We sent $20,000 to the closing attorney so that we felt like we were more than "covered" for closing. I got the call that they needed $4500 the afternoon before I thought we would be closing. That was five days ago and I've yet to receive a line by line break down of the costs.

    submitted by /u/BestBiscuits
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with a home loan [TX]

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 08:24 PM PDT

    I am trying to get an FHA loan for $180,000. We have a donor for the down payment and closing is factored into the payment ($175k + up to $5k for closing). I have student loans in collections, am currently in a settlement for the amount. I have been recently promoted at work and have a CPA letter confirming the raise ($54k/yr). I went from contracted work for a lot less than I currently make until I was promoted to an office role for about $37k/yr a few months into the year. My most recent promotion was at the beginning of October, but we are payed weekly and I have multiple pay stubs confirming my raise. My underwriter is declining due to wanted to average my YTD earnings. Is there anything I can do or provide to help show my position to get an approval?

    submitted by /u/Needamortgage12345
    [link] [comments]

    Tax Question

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 08:21 PM PDT

    I have a 7.5 acre horse farm with a large stable/barn and fenced pastures. The farm was purchased 20 years ago for $86,000. 15 years ago, I purchased a new single-wide manufactured home and had it put on the farm on a permanent brick foundation for a total purchase and installation price of $45,000. I have lived in that home on the farm for the past 15 years.

    I am selling the farm with the home on it for $100,000. I'm just double-checking to make sure I'm right that I will not have to pay any taxes on the sale of this property?

    submitted by /u/gpc0321
    [link] [comments]

    Refinancing- frustrating loan officer

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 07:55 PM PDT

    Hi, I am trying to get refinancing done. Dealing with this loan officer has been very frustrating. The loan documents had to be corrected 5-6 times. She put in incorrect numbers and closing costs and I had to repeat multiple times over email. This is a mortgage broker company. I finally signed the "intent to proceed" letter after 2 weeks of back and forth.

    What can I do now to make it easier?

    submitted by /u/bdafsi91
    [link] [comments]

    Am I on the hook to pay buyer's reinspection fee? [CA]

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 03:59 PM PDT

    Recently sold our house. The buyer asked for various repairs to be made following the home inspection, which we agreed to. The repairs were detailed by a pest control company (nothing pest related, just some weather damaged wood and a few minor plumbing leaks) and they included a quote on providing the repairs. Our agent sent out a handyman to make the repairs, and he charged us a fair amount less.

    After the repairs were made, the buyers sent the pest control company out again to re-inspect and verify that the repairs were made. Now the house sale has closed and the buyers want us to pay the pest control company for the reinspection.

    Are we on the hook for the reinspection fee?

    submitted by /u/BasicColloquialism
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best way to view previous listings for a property.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 03:51 PM PDT

    On redfin I can sometimes pull up a previous listing if the property sold within the last few years, but it is hit or miss. I find it is very nice to see past listings. Everything in my area now has pictures done by incredible photographers that make the place look 10x better than it really is. And/or it's a flip of a total trainwreck of a house. Either way, it's really nice to see what the property looked like a few years ago.

    If I Google the address sometimes the blurb for the link will definitely be for an older listing of the house, but when I click it, whatever website will redirect to the newest listing.

    Hope my question makes sense and it hasn't been asked a million times already. Thanks for any tips!

    submitted by /u/ClassyAsBalls
    [link] [comments]

    NYC realtor fee bargaining

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 06:57 PM PDT

    So I believe that the standard realtor fee in NYC is 15%, which I think is very steep compared to New Jersey's 1 month rent. I know last time I asked for 12% instead of 15% in NYC during the fall season, and they agreed. I was wondering if it is possible to bring it down to 1 month, especially since it's middle of October and demand is a lot less. Any one had any experience?

    Edit: I'm not using a broker, so only renter's broker.

    submitted by /u/switchitup_lets
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment