• Breaking News

    Friday, October 25, 2019

    Judge Holds DeVos in Contempt - Issues Fines Student Loans

    Judge Holds DeVos in Contempt - Issues Fines Student Loans


    Judge Holds DeVos in Contempt - Issues Fines

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 04:44 PM PDT

    From Politico - it's all over Twitter

    BREAKING: A federal judge held Education Secretary Betsy DeVos in contempt of court for disobeying an order to stop collecting the student loans of borrowers who attended a for-profit college.

    The judge ordered DeVos and the Education Department to pay $100,000 in sanctions.

    submitted by /u/Betsy514
    [link] [comments]

    The second in command at the ED just quit

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 06:11 AM PDT

    Did the Dept. of Ed. stop giving payoff letters?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 11:14 PM PDT

    I never consolidated my loans. I am in the process of snowballing and each time I have paid off one of my loans the payoff letter came to my Nelnet inbox by day 45. Each of those loans were also Dept. of Ed.. There has never been a problem until now. It has been over 62 days and still no payoff letter. The loan does show it is paid off in the mortgage section of the Nelnet site and on the NSLD site, but I want and need my letter! I have called Nelnet everyday for the past 16 days. Spoken to "supervisors" and "higher-ups". Each time I am told the letter has been generated and will show in my inbox within 24 hours. But it does not. They claimed to have hard mailed a copy for my records three weeks ago. I have not seen that either. I just checked the in-box again before posting this, nothing. Does anyone know what is going on?

    submitted by /u/MoonOra
    [link] [comments]

    Best Strategy for Public Service Loan Forgiveness payment plan?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 07:04 PM PDT

    Hi StudentLoans folks,

    My girlfriend graduated this past winter with her PA (physician assistant) degree and is now working for a non-profit hospital and making payments on her student loans. Because her current job qualifies her for the public service loan forgiveness program we're discussing the best strategy for repaying her loan. Here's a bit more info:

    - She doesn't feel morally tied to a non-profit and would likely jump to a for-profit hospital (or medical center of some kind) for a better position.

    - She owes about $150k

    - We make enough to live comfortably and she could fairly easily make payments on a standard 10-year payment plan.

    If I understand the public service program correctly, she needs to work for an eligible employer (non-profit etc.) for 10 years while making the minimum payment to have her loan forgiven. Based on that we've discussed a few scenarios:

    1) Make minimum payments while she's working for the non-profit but start paying extra if she switches to a non-eligible facility.

    Pros: If she makes it to 10 years at eligible facilities she could have her loans forgiven.

    Cons: If she switches to non-eligible job her loan balance will be even higher; private employers will generally pay more anyway and will make up the difference .

    2) Make "intermediate" payments that are above the minimum (to at least keep the loan balance from increasing) but not full payments.

    Pros: hedge her bets in case she switches to a non-eligible job or the government decides not to forgive the loans in ~10 years.

    Cons: lost out on some potential income.

    3) Pay the loan off as quickly as possible.

    Pros: loan is paid off.

    Cons: possibility that she could have had her loan paid by the government (and lost out on ~$15k / year of approximate income).

    Has anyone had to work through these decisions before? And are concerns that her loans won't be forgiven due to political changes valid?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/TheNylonDon
    [link] [comments]

    Heartland Key Issues?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 11:42 AM PDT

    I decided to take a loan through my university and they use Heartland ECSI. When making my account it asks to connect a "Heartland Key" to it to which I did provided through an email. However, every time I "connect" the key, it leads me to an empty page with no information on my loan. This issue has persisted for over a month and I'm beginning to worry that interest will be charged. I'd also like to start paying it off as soon as possible. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/fruitybaristas
    [link] [comments]

    Pausing student Loan - Canadian parents

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 02:42 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I've seen on the news that the liberal government was promising (Sept. 2019) that new parents would be able to pause student loan payments until their youngest child is 5 years old. Is this true? And if so, when will it come into effect?

    submitted by /u/ottogutierrez
    [link] [comments]

    Not eligible

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 10:08 AM PDT

    So, lets just say I owe a lot of money, one loan with Sallie Mae and the rest are federal. After immediately pursuing my Masters after undergrad, I start making payments in November.

    When I apply for a Repayment plan it tells me I'm not eligible for anything. How is that possible? It would be impossible for me to make payments at all without one (masters degree isn't helping as much as I thought or was told it would).

    What do I do?

    submitted by /u/Dmezz3
    [link] [comments]

    Repayment period calculator for multiple loans

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 01:31 PM PDT

    I'm looking for a tool that lets me input my loans, interest rates, and a monthly payment amount, and will calculate how much time it will take for the loans to be paid off.

    I've managed to find something that will do one loan. I could probably get a good estimation if I just average out my interest rates, but I think this would be imprecise since I am paying the higher interest loans off first.

    submitted by /u/smritz
    [link] [comments]

    A student loan for a non-Us citizen and no cosigner?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 09:10 AM PDT

    Hello guys, I need help finding a student loan or options for my tuition. Basically I need a student loan that allows non-US Cutizens I'm a temporary resident parolee for 4 months, and I don't have a cosigner, I live alone in the US. I don't qualify for FASFA due to not being a citizen/resident or parolee for +1 years, and I don't qualify for DACA since I'm not a dreamer and because of how I got my temporary work permit. I've been looking and trying to get student loans to pay for my tuition but there are no loans out there. I have already taken 3 semesters off due to a death in my family, hence why I live alone now. I do not want to take a 4th semester off since if I do if anything happens after that I will loose my spot in my university. I'm trying to get back in but it seems so difficult and I'm not sure what to do anymore. Any help is appreciated, thanks guys

    submitted by /u/Aj2760
    [link] [comments]

    Defaulted loans, need to get back on track but can’t access my private loan account.

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 06:12 AM PDT

    Hey everyone.

    So I defaulted on both my private and federal loans a few years ago. I finally have a decent job that tripled my income. Since I've been working here for several months now, I have a decent amount saved and have been becoming much more money smart, thank god.

    I tried to inquire about both of my loans. I assume my federal loans have been sent to collections? I logged into MyFedLoan and it says I owe $0. Definitely not. They've taken my tax refund for two years now, totaling about $3,000, but my principal was somewhere around $20,000, in six different loans. I had paid about $14,000 before I defaulted, but I know most of that went to interest (don't remember exact numbers but I remember filing taxes and being amazed in a not-surprised kind of way that I had paid $14k but my principal had only gone down about $5k. My payments for that loan were about $400/month.

    I figure getting that sorted will be mostly easy, just call the number and they'll tell me what's up.

    Now for my private loans. I was young and dumb and desperate to get a degree so I went with the only bank that would approve me. 3 loans for $7k each, all at 11.9% interest. The email I used was my .edu, which my college told me and everyone else that we'd be able to keep as regular emails beyond graduation. Fast forward to a year ago where they basically said screw you to all of the alumni and deleted our accounts without notice and refuses to activate them again. I can't remember my password for my lender, and the only way I can reset it is through that email.

    I know I can just call them, but I've heard from others that if I acknowledge the debt that it can reset the SOL. I'd like to know more about my situation and speak to a financial counselor (my employer reimburses me for this) before I go about acknowledging debt and possibly screwing myself over. If I call them and inquire about my account, does this count as acknowledging the debt?

    submitted by /u/sunlit_cairn
    [link] [comments]

    Paying student loans with a debit/credit card

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 07:30 AM PDT

    So recently I've been explore ways to pay off my student loans. My household two lenders are Navient and Great Lakes.

    You can't pay with a debit card via online. You have to call in. The downfall to this is you can't use a credit card. I tried with a Chase Freedom Unlimited and it kept getting declined.

    To maximize paying my student loans I've been buying visa/MC gift cards at the grocery store. I use Amex Gold 4x the points which I gross around $20.23 ($505.95 purchase price) and net $14.28. And that can be more valuable dependent on how you use your points. Also, Simon Mall sells $1K gift cards for $3.95 purchase fee. You can only use a Visa or MC card. I've used Chase Freedom Unlimited 1.5x points which gross $15.05 and nets $11.10.

    You have to register your name/address with the visa debit card. Simply call into your lender and say you're paying with a debit card. With Navient they will allocate it to a loan or highest interest rate. Great Lakes they didn't allow me to and automatically paid interest first. You can set up allocation online for overpayments though.

    It takes about 2-3 days to post to your account and it's processed by Pay.gov.

    submitted by /u/FlowerShine2U
    [link] [comments]

    Using full unsubsidized loan remaining eligibility and pell grant eligibility

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 08:19 AM PDT

    I just got my FAFSA aid report for my senior year and the bursar is saying that i can only use 7,500 for the annual year but because i have certain credits left after these two semesters i need to pay for the summer courses to finish my degree. However, It shows clearly that I have $3,000 left after this dispersement on my lifetime loan eligibility. How can I disperse this? It also shows that I have $1,000 in pell grant eligibility. I don't understand how this can't work out to cover my final credits. I'm thinking of calling FAFSA and getting some answers but I thought i'd ask in here first

    Thanks in advance for the advice.

    submitted by /u/LiteralMadrid
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment