• Breaking News

    Thursday, October 24, 2019

    Accounting FOCUS: by EY

    Accounting FOCUS: by EY


    FOCUS: by EY

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 12:32 PM PDT

    “I’m proud to announce I’ve accepted an offer.... to interview with the prestigious KPMG!”

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 09:58 AM PDT

    Found this in my management class textbook lmao

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 07:23 AM PDT

    When the intern wants a pic for LinkedIn

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 10:10 AM PDT

    me trying to apply for internships

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 08:10 PM PDT

    When you lie on your resume hoping you can learn on the job

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 08:00 AM PDT

    EY Seminar Masculine/Feminine Score Sheet

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 03:54 PM PDT

    Why is everyone bullying me out of my degree?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 08:02 AM PDT

    I'm currently in school working on my bachelor's in Accounting. I live on my own, pay my own bills, my rent, and everything else you have to pay to survive. I work full time, and I am completely independent. Everyone I attend school with still lives with their parents, and whenever our degrees are brought up, they give me the stupid fucking speech of "be careful man, you sound like one of those people who is just in college to land a good job. Make sure this is your passion." It's like they have no idea what accounting is and they have never had a real job or responsibilities and on top of it most of them are majoring in WRITING or PSYCHOLOGY (ouch) and they got their moms and dads to pay for their tuition. How do I cope with this frustration?

    I'm sorry for the tangent.

    (Edit: Thank you everyone for the advice and input. Really helped me sort through my head and not get so worked up over ignorance. You guys are the best.)

    submitted by /u/Garrisonrw
    [link] [comments]

    The hardest part about public accounting

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 08:57 PM PDT

    Is finding a seat at the office..

    ):

    submitted by /u/UncertainAccountant
    [link] [comments]

    New hires this Fall

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 08:45 PM PDT

    So whoever was in charge of the fake names in my accounting textbook was having a grand old time!

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 09:10 AM PDT

    Got a great offer, but need some advice plotting the last bit of my B4 escape.

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 06:10 PM PDT

    First off, thank you for the inspiration from all the fantastic B4 refugees on this sub, without Reddit I would still be looking at 2 more busy seasons 🤮. Instead I'm getting more than 30% bump, shorter commute, basically guaranteed bonus, summer fridays and straight 40 hour weeks, and more interesting work at a F500! 🤑

    Here's the dilemma though... I accepted this offer last week without thinking about start date. With the holidays coming up and their onboarding process being a bit rigid, my new employer couldn't/wouldn't negotiate that point, so i'm "stuck" starting two weeks from Friday.

    Problem is: I had a little girl earlier this year and took advantage of my b4s leave while I recovered. If I don't work through the exact last day (regardless of if I quit or get dismissed "with or without cause") I'll have to pay back the 12 weeks of pay. Our HR folks are shitty... it would not surprise me if they got my notice and realized they could recoup the 12 weeks pay by firing me even a day before ther end of my notice.

    So, do I: 1. Give normal 2 week notice Monday and hope I don't get screwed by HR? 2. Don't give notice, just turn in my laptop in a few weeks and peace out. I'll probably burn bridges and moreso screw over my awesome team, some of whom I would consider friends. 3. Go full nuclear option: use the 35+ days of banked PTO I have, take emergency leave "to take an emergency break from the stress for my mental health" (technically the truth rofl) and I can get paid twice through to the end of year holidays?

    TL;DR: leaving b4- but might have to pay back maternity leave pay ($15k-ish) should I give notice anyway or just burn the bridges to CMA?

    submitted by /u/Throwaway9632million
    [link] [comments]

    Wisconsin "Conforming" to the IRC

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 12:49 PM PDT

    We like baby math

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 02:21 PM PDT

    When you ask the client for a TB to financial statements mapping

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 01:20 PM PDT

    Ironic

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 01:55 PM PDT

    Thoughts on the Accounting Education System?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 08:16 PM PDT

    I am curious to hear how people felt school prepared them for the accounting profession.

    My personal experience is that college accounting does not prepare you for actual accounting work. I think the main benefit it had for me was just that it kind of developed a work ethic with the amount of studying it took.

    Just to preface I have a Bachelors in Accounting, and just 6 years working so my experience could just be a complete anomaly to what most people here experience.

    For my school at least, most of our teachers were PHDs who never left school or worked in an actual accounting job. I think this causes issues because so much time is spent on topics that are so obscure and irrelevant to 95% of the accounting professions. So these new accountants fresh out of college can talk about accounting for pensions and whether an event was unusual or infrequent but, don't have a real grasp on how the GL works. I have to work with a lot of accountants straight out of college and so many of them are getting so overwhelmed because they feel like they were not prepared. I can relate to this because that's how I felt when I first started working.

    Is this something other people have experienced or is mine just an isolated incident, i'm curious to hear?

    submitted by /u/gosucrank
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice, started a new job, thrown into chaos

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 07:16 PM PDT

    Any advice / tough love welcome!

    Graduated a few months ago, immediately started a job which was 1-1.5 hours away. The long commute began to take a toll mentally and on my car (got into an accident driving late tired). Started job searching for a few weeks - my 1st interview was with a really, really great dream company, and I got to the final rounds but didn't get an offer. However, I had a good rapport with the recruiter and he reached out saying they are opening another position soon, encouraging me to apply again next month even if I found another job.

    I ended up accepting the only offer I got for a smaller sized company at a pay cut. Started a few days ago and walked into chaos. 3 out of the 4 staff accountants had quit the week before they gave me the offer, and the only one left is someone they barely hired 3 weeks ago. They're having us come in weekends to try to train with the previous employees. It seems so chaotic, no one seems to know the processes or where to tell me to find any information, and the company itself is very, very disorganized. I feel I definitely made the wrong choice accepting this offer.

    There is no one experienced enough to train me, I'm still a fresh graduate, and I feel frustrated with the lack of any structure or organization. Should I just suck it up and try to tough it out and use this as a great learning experience?

    If I reach out to the previous company and interviewed again, how would I even be able to explain why I quit this 2nd job so soon after leaving my 1st one? It will just look so bad.

    submitted by /u/goodforonething
    [link] [comments]

    How was your experience at kamp kpmg now known as lakehouse?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 09:24 PM PDT

    Mind sharing what you did; what events were held? Did you get to go to surrounding areas such as Disney/universal? Or was everything at the hotel?

    submitted by /u/hamletgod
    [link] [comments]

    Corporate or Public Accounting?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 08:55 PM PDT

    Hi!

    I need some advance with two offers I received. I am in my Senior year, graduating in May with 138 credit hours. Plan to take the remaining 12 in Summer 2020. I plan to take FAR and REG before 2021 and BEC and AUD in 2021.

    Location: Bay Area, CA

    TLDR:

    I got an offer from a large CPA firm and a large corporation. The large corporation pays a lot less but I got along very well with the office. I also would be very proud to work at the CPA firm. I want to start a family soon and would appreciate work/life balance but would also like a high paying job at a respectable firm. Not sure which to choose.

    Large CPA Firm (Top 8)

    - Offered Spring Audit Internship (January-April 2020) AND full time Audit Associate (Start in October 2020)

    - The Spring Internship is not flexible with my school schedule. It will be Monday-Friday 8AM-5PM so I will have to take classes 6pm-10pm. I will also have a huge gap between April and October where I will be unemployed.

    - Internship is $30/hr and Full time is $65k starting salary

    - 60-90 minute commute, $30 per day for parking, prefer to drive than take public transportation

    - Bonus for passing CPA exam, reimburse fees/study materials and provides time off to study

    - Expected to work 60-70 hours a week during busy season, more exit opportunities

    - Interview was very serious but still got on well with the people I met. They seem nice and professional. I would be very proud to work with this firm because they are top 8.

    Large Corporation in an industry I am very familiar with. I work with this company at my current job so some of the people in the office already know me. I got along great with the staff and had a lot of fun at my interview.

    - Offered Accounting Internship (Starting ASAP. They had an original start date of January 2020 but liked me so much they asked if I can start right away) Internship is 10 weeks long. Full time has not been formally offered but they told me it starts at $60k salary.

    - Internship is only $17/hr. It is a large pay cut from my current wage.

    - Very flexible with my school schedule for spring. They told me to give them my school schedule for next semester and they will only schedule me for time/date that I am available. I need to commit at least 16 hours but can work up to 40 hours if I want.

    - Full time position is only 43 hours a week for $60k starting. No weekends, no busy season, no holidays.

    - 30 minute commute, free parking.

    - CPA not required but they will reimburse me fees/study material if I pass. No time off to study. I will still go for my CPA.

    - The interview was FUN! I got along well with the entire office. I even convinced the manager to karaoke because they were talking about the dance parties they have on Fridays. Yes, they have dance parties on Fridays. The manager started singing Nsync in the interview and then continued to say "this is probably the weirdest interview you've ever been in". We laughed the whole time and I liked the people I met. They also have an ongoing bowling tournament with their sales department. It just seems fun to work there.

    I am getting married November 2020 and would like to start a family shortly after. Work/life balance is very important to me but I also would like a great paying career. Do you have any advice on how I should proceed?

    submitted by /u/angedorable
    [link] [comments]

    second round interview advice

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 08:13 PM PDT

    i somehow got a second round interview with a big 4 firm. i NEED advice because i'm terrified. please don't tell me to keep doing the things i did in previous interviews because i BOMBED the first interview. halfway through the first interview the senior manager told me i need to do more mock interviews and i obviously need more interview practice. honestly not sure how i got a second round offer after that.

    how do you personally prepare for interviews? and more specifically, i've noticed that i have a tendency to ramble when i'm nervous, so any advice for avoiding rambling would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/180714jaehyun
    [link] [comments]

    2nd day as an Intern.. help

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 07:59 PM PDT

    Reddit,

    Some background: 24, Marine vet, graduating in December with an associates in accounting.. going onto 4 year afterward.

    Today was my second day in my staff accountant internship. I have no idea what's really going on so far. The first part of my day was handling abandoned properties and sending out letters to the proper recipient. The second half of the day was taking information sent to me regarding payroll, and things like wage garnishments and making it balance in a work book for each different work section of the company. It's GL posting which I'm unfamiliar with. I'm working with the Controller, and I asked a question which I could've figured out by thinking for a second. I caught myself midway, and said sorry, .. disregard, and she said "it's alright, the new guy excuse only lasts for a week" I'm feeling discouraged, and I don't think I'll meet her expectations in terms of learning quickly. Any advice? I've been taking notes.

    submitted by /u/rob22usmc
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment