• Breaking News

    Thursday, October 17, 2019

    Is counting the garage square footage in the total a scummy practice? Real Estate

    Is counting the garage square footage in the total a scummy practice? Real Estate


    Is counting the garage square footage in the total a scummy practice?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2019 12:05 AM PDT

    My girlfriend and I have been looking for a house to rent in the peninsula (SF Bay Area). We found one a block away from a coveted downtown area. It was listed as a standalone "cottage" in a triplex (attached via split double garage) with 750 sqft for $3800. Sounds expensive, but considering it was a standalone "house", had 2 bedrooms, was very close to downtown, and allows my dog, this was a REASONABLE price compared to similar apartments in the area.

    But when we toured the house, something seemed off. It was really small. Definitely a lot smaller than 750 sqft feels which ALREADY feels small. After making my own rough blueprint using the dimensions given on the tour I discovered that the house is actually less than 550 sqft because they included the garage in the total. And this was confirmed by the owner when we asked.

    WHAT THE HECK!

    $3800 for 750 sqft was already pricey, but $3800 for 550 sqft is just wrong. It basically went from $5/sqft to $7/sqft just because they never listed the garage being part of the total. After doing more real estate digging, $7/sqft is particularly expensive even for the area. A high end 700-800 sqft apartment in the heart of downtown costs about $5.5/sqft. A newly built (NICER) house with 700 sqft that is slightly further from downtown was listed at $4000 ($5.7/sqft). I'd estimate this place to be no more than $6/sqft or $3300/mo because it isn't that nice and is technically a triplex.

    I guess they can charge whatever they want as the owner, but is it WRONG to say a house is 750 sqft when in reality it's 550? Their garage is NOT livable. It's for a car. Not a person. 550 is 25% LESS than 750 which gives the deception more magnitude IMO.

    Needless to say we are continuing are search elsewhere, but I just wanted to ask this community's opinion and see if this is common practice.

    submitted by /u/nicebrah
    [link] [comments]

    Not even a month out from closing. Leaks from cracks in basement wall.

    Posted: 17 Oct 2019 01:45 AM PDT

    It's been raining something fierce today in CT. So after getting home from work I decide to check the basement, something I've been doing about everyday due to some white mold on the walls of the basement. Which I planned on tackling this weekend. No big deal. I go in the basement, and see water coming from two or so locations where the wall meets the floor. Along with that I see water seeping through a crack in the actual foundation wall. Something I hadn't noticed before, nor was it disclosed prior.

    Just trying to see what my options are, kind of freaking out about it truthfully.

    http://imgur.com/gallery/YrqjhFg

    submitted by /u/BlueishJayBird
    [link] [comments]

    Talk me out of this..

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 07:34 PM PDT

    I'm really looking for a low priced home, since I'm on my own, I am a musician and I work at a restaurant/bar and do some woodworking as well. I found the PERFECT home, which is super cool in every way and has space for a workshop and very affordable. I've seen probably 100 homes and this is the only one I love, BUT! The home next door was a triplex which burnt down last year and is condemned. After some snooping and intel from the neighbours I discovered there were homeless people squatting in the burnt down triplex next door. They said the police came and so they aren't there anymore (for now) and she said the city plans to tear it down this year. I called the city and they had no idea about this house, still waiting for them to look into it and call me back.

    I think I should buy it, it'd be super cheap and in a year maybe the squatters and building next door will be gone and then rebuilt possibly, value can only go up from living next to a crackhouse right?? Or do you think the city isn't going to do anything and I'll be robbed and murdered by the crackheads next door?

    submitted by /u/gilgameshmcballin
    [link] [comments]

    Cancelling a lease

    Posted: 17 Oct 2019 01:22 AM PDT

    Broke college student here (hopefully this is the right kind of question to post here)

    I didn't get to choose my roommates, and they both smoke. I really hate the smell of tobacco in the apartment, and it gets really hard to sleep at night; recently I've been getting headaches just from the smell alone.

    Is there any way to cancel a lease? Maybe for health reasons? I think it'd be pretty unlikely that someone would take over my lease given the smoking issue.

    submitted by /u/mybaby_mybaby
    [link] [comments]

    American buying second home in Spain. Find Spanish bank or use local lender?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 09:16 PM PDT

    I'm planning on buying an apt in Spain in the next few months. Approx value 300K EUR. I've noticed in real estate search advertisements for lenders that rates are at or under 2% in Spain which is way better than the 4-5% I am used to getting locally (California). It is my understanding that their heavily regulated (and cheap) lending market is the reason for their high homeownership rates.

    Should I be pursing a lender more based where the property is located in hopes of having them be more familiar with navigating Spanish/EU real estate transactions?

    Or should I be sticking with local, domestic lenders that I already have a relationship with and hope that they can figure out the particulars of a foreign real estate transaction?

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/GreenTSimms
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about probate property

    Posted: 17 Oct 2019 02:24 AM PDT

    A property just went up in my neighborhood for 1.5 mil and it's a wreck inside.

    The description notes say:

    "Seller has authority to accept an Offer on behalf of the estates, and will complete the probate process as quickly as possible."

    What exactly does this mean? I have been doing a little research and my understanding is you need to make a 10% deposit with your offer, they go to court, then there's bidding so even if your offer is accepted someone might show up at the courthouse and outbid you, and you may not get your 10% deposit back if you lose the bid.

    And there's no way of knowing how long the process will take.

    Is this right? Sounds crazy. I'm in Massachusetts if that makes any difference.

    submitted by /u/lexbost
    [link] [comments]

    Are there more detailed home inspections?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2019 05:24 AM PDT

    The usual ones are pretty detailed, but I'm wondering if there are ones where they can assess the health of the foundation, framing, plumbing, roof, HVAC, insulation, etc.

    We're about to make a big investment and want to know every possible thing that's wrong with the house. Are there additional inspections that we could get? The house also reeks of mildew so a thorough inspection of whatever that smell is would be great. I'm not sure if the typical inspection covers that.

    submitted by /u/CivilNassar
    [link] [comments]

    Seller going 30 days past contract date

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 11:44 AM PDT

    A relative of mine is buying a house on Long Island in NY. The date for closing in the contract was 10/1 with either party having up to 30 days past 10/1 to get the closing done. The seller wants the closing on 10/31. The seller does not live in the house, it was his mom's, who passed away. All he has to do is empty the house of furniture, which he could have been doing for at least 3 months already.

    So my question is, what's the reason for going right to the end of the month on the closing? Any financial gain? Any tax gain?

    submitted by /u/Joeybish
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on getting leads without Zillow

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 11:33 AM PDT

    Has anyone ever paired up with a divorce attorney? It sounds awful but couples do need to sell and buy to start over.

    submitted by /u/southern_realtor_sc
    [link] [comments]

    Failed my exam for the 3rd straight time

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 02:44 PM PDT

    I feel like ive done everything everyone has told me to do in order to prepare for this stupid test.

    I took the test immediately when all the info was fresh in my head. Failed.

    I gave myself a week or two to study. Failed.

    I've used prep agent, flash cards on quizlet, practice tests, reviewed class notes. Failed.

    The only positive to come out of any of this is I'm getting a better score each time I take the exam although it's only by a very small amount.

    Got 50, 56, and today a 59. Not good enough at all. Had I been at a 70+ I would be content and just keep doing the same thing but I'm not so here we are.

    I study in small sessions of 30-45 mins a few times per day and nothing seems to be working.

    I know exactly what I need to study but the exam just loves to throw in unnecessary words to make it that much harder. I don't understand the purpose of that besides to make more money by retaking the exam.

    I have so much prepared for when I pass my exam and am super stressed and want to get started ASAP. I've networked with dozens of agents, found a brokerage to join that I really like, but just need to pass this exam to start.

    I'm sure this subreddit gets a lot of these posts but I need personal advice for me not someone else. Can anyone help?

    submitted by /u/jimmy2465
    [link] [comments]

    Mortgage - simple questions.

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 11:59 PM PDT

    My wife and I are in the market for a new home. I have done some research with regards to the mortgage process. I was wondering if you could help answer additional ones. I will also make some statements. Please correct me if I am wrong.

    • Given all else equal, it is more risky to borrow more money. Because of this, lender can charge a higher interest rate.

    • So why then does a jumbo loan (currently at $485k) has a lower interest rate compare to a loan for say $300k (conventional) loan?

    • How does a loan agent make money? Does the loan agent make a salary and also and additional bonus based on how many loan he/she can lend out?

    • The loan agent is on your side. He/she is fighting hard for you to borrow from him/her. The reason the loan agent is doing this is because they know that you can easily go somewhere else to borrow money. If that's the case they will lose out on the entire loan.

    • What separate a great loan officer from a good loan officer?

    • What separate a good loan officer to a bad loan officer?

    • Do big national banks usually have lower rate compare to smaller lenders?

    • Do big national banks usually have stricter guidelines in term of screening borrowers compare to smaller lenders? What I'm essentially asking if it's easier to get a mortgage from smaller lenders compare to big national banks?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/b10m1m1cry
    [link] [comments]

    1 bedroom appartment

    Posted: 17 Oct 2019 03:44 AM PDT

    Hey everyone I would like some advice, I want to buy a 1 bedroom apartment which is spacious enough for me and my girlfriend to live in, it is a new building, would be payed off in 10 years. But everyone is telling me not to do it because of the 1 bedroom appartment, I know they are harder to resell but the plan is to rent it out later on (if we decide to have kids) in the distant future, Im just seeing it as an opportunity to rent out later aswell and just can't justify the price differences of almost 100k to got a bit more space and 1 extra bedroom.

    submitted by /u/schwiftynator417
    [link] [comments]

    Absentee property owner won't respond to letters

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 02:23 PM PDT

    I live next door to a property that has a broken downspout and is shooting water directly at the foundation of my house. I have written a letter to the LLC I found on the tax rolls but they have not responded or fixed the issue. Do I really have to get a lawyer to have this taken care of? Can anyone give me advice here?

    submitted by /u/clarye
    [link] [comments]

    Removed from loan with no notice

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 08:43 PM PDT

    My husband and I are purchasing our first home. It's stressful and scary but we have saved and we can do this. Go team!

    We have an excellent buyers agent and had a good relationship with our loan agent until this past weekend. She informed us by email that she would be out of town with her family for colombus day weekend and she would be returning calls and emails on Tuesday. Fine, have fun with your family, it's whatever. We just put in our offer last week, we were accepted, this is inspection week and we'll be fine.

    Then on Monday, Columbus day, when we knew she was out of town, I got a series of emails informing me that my loan application had been deleted. I freaked out. I called her, obviously, and got voicemail and left a message saying why is this happening? I called my buyers agent and asked the same thing, she said she had no idea but would call the loan agent as well.

    Turns out our rate was better with just my husband on the loan, we save about half a percent. Which is great, don't get me wrong, I would have totally understood and agreed to this if someone had bothered to fucking ask me.

    Now we haven't heard from our original loan agent since, and her assistant is calling my husband asking for all of the information I provided for our original pre-approval plus the info for our actual loan. My husband hates this, he won't even pick up the phone to order pizza and is super disorganized.

    So my loan agent ghosted me for some reason and her assistant nearly gave me a stroke and is now irritating the shit out of my husband, while I actually enjoy talking on the phone and have taken care of the information and processes for us since we started this mission.

    I do not trust this assistant kid, he is asking for info multiple times and when I emailed him with some questions he replied with "Bear with me, I'm really new, I'll have to ask - original loan agent-".

    I feel like us being first time home buyers is enough clueless people in this equation. I'm super unhappy about getting shunted off onto the new kid, and I am having a hard time getting over the whole shock of not being consulted on removing me from the loan and having to have my buyer's agent track this info down for me.

    So wtf? Am I overreacting? Whats going on here and how can I get my original loan agent back? I want this house or I'd just go looking for a new loan entirely. Help!

    submitted by /u/AboutAlyse
    [link] [comments]

    Deed of Sale Dated Well Before Sale Happened (VA)

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 06:27 AM PDT

    I received a "Deed of Bargain and Sale" from my real estate attorney yesterday for a home I purchased on 8/27. It states the deed of bargain and sale was made this 30th day of April, 2019.

    I know the sellers relocated out of state so I could see them signing their side of this early, but my concern is does this have any effect on taxes or my responsibilities? I assume my lawyer reviewed this or would have flagged the issue if it was one...but we all know what they say about assuming.

    Anyone have any thoughts before I reach back out to my attorney? It may take him a few days to respond and I hate to bug him if its no big deal.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/amianxious
    [link] [comments]

    How are all the newly built homes/condos furnished showing on Zillow?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 10:49 PM PDT

    I browse Zillow for fun and i notice a lot of times that newly constructed homes and condos photos are often taken furnished but I'm assuming these properties are not sold furnished so now the question is why are they shown furnished? Do real estate brokers go out rent, deliver, take photos and do re-delivery back to warehouse just for photos? If the place remain furnished then how is it profitable to just buy the decor for every property under their network...also what if they get stolen or damaged by pests?

    submitted by /u/JadedGap2
    [link] [comments]

    Are We Stuck

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 06:58 PM PDT

    Put a bid on a house two weeks ago. Nice home, but couldn't see much in basement. We required an inspection.
    We learned that the basement is bowing, excess water leakage, radon, water drains off hill into garage, roof is curling, and several minor things. I estimate 40,000 worth of repairs. We live in an area where you can get a 3br 2bath nice home for 150-175,000.

    They didn't disclose any damage to us prior to the inspection. I gave them more than asking cost. Am I stuck? What if they agree to pay for everything, but want to repair it cheaply?

    I don't want the house now once I saw the inspector's report. My agent said I may be stuck.

    submitted by /u/live_laugh_smile
    [link] [comments]

    Am I a bad marketing coordinator if I can't get my team to collaborate?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 06:35 PM PDT

    Long story short I have gotten into a big slump with my sales team. I can't get my team leader to post on social media, prep his listings to be social media post-worthy, or get most of my agents to actively participate in social media. He also never meets with me about any marketing ideas and seems to shrug off any suggestions I give. A few years before, I suggested a lot of ideas that other agents adopted and now they are smoking us in numbers. My boss's response back then was "let's not reinvent the wheel" Also, any projects I initiate usually get criticized. He says I don't need to be focusing on that now. Is this team beyond re-vamping? I can only do so much promoting since I don't carry a license and I don't want to spam my Facebook friends with my listings like a lot of other members of my brokerage do on their pages. Why would my boss hire someone to do his marketing if he doesn't want to stay ahead of the game?

    submitted by /u/amdee88
    [link] [comments]

    Putting an offer on a home.. help!

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 06:27 PM PDT

    My partner and I will be putting an offer down on a home. The home is located in Orange County, CA, and the listing price is roughly $625k. Home has been on the market for 98 days now, and there haven't been any offers (based on what my agent told me), and the Redfin fair value is $615k. The seller purchased it in 2016 for $571k. We really love this home, and we can see ourselves living in it, and we are hoping to negotiate for a good deal on the home given how long its been on the market and that the seller is offering more than the fair value. Also, we have enough to put down 20% of the purchase price, and have our lender lined up along with a preapproval letter so we're ready to go once we settle on a price.

    We're looking to put in an offer this weekend, but we're not sure what's a good offer. We want to lowball the offer, and my agent said she's willing to put any offer in for us, but would appreciate your guys' input/advice on how much we should offer. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/gwting1019
    [link] [comments]

    Health issues - Tenancy

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 10:02 PM PDT

    Can I be evicted (UK) for developing health problems while still paying my rent? Ok - I may have let the place go a little lately but nothing a mega clean and a coat of paint in the kitchen couldnt fix. Lived here for 6 years. My landlord is somehow aware I have health issues.

    I have had a couple of hospital admissions in the past 2 years, also a couple of falls involving fractures (not occured in the home). Can he state I am no longer safe to live in his property?

    submitted by /u/Diplodocus114
    [link] [comments]

    How to figure out what to improve or repair before selling?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 08:46 AM PDT

    I want to sell in the near future, but don't want to be blindsided by losing money on unexpected repairs. Should I hire a contractor, real estate agent, or home inspector to uncover hidden pitfalls in my home? All three? What is the best approach?

    submitted by /u/CaptnJackSparr0
    [link] [comments]

    How much of a discount should I build into my offer for a townhome development's model home?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 09:12 PM PDT

    I'm preparing to place an offer on a new construction townhome that was used as a model home for the development. The development's a series of townhomes and the development is now mostly complete. There are only two properties left and one of these happens to be the model home.

    I've done a ton of research and it seems model homes are more likely to have a discount associated with them(due to heavy HVAC usage, additional wear-and-tear on flooring, typically quick construction time thus shortcuts, etc).

    The property is in a recently gentrified part of the city in a LCOL area. Most of the adjacent townhomes sold for $375-$450k. This one is listed on the brochure for $395k. Do you think a 20% discount would be considered reasonable as a starting offer?

    For the negotiation, there's also the seasonality/timing aspect to this as in my mind the builder is looking to close out their development as they've likely already made their targeted return on the project thus they will be more open to negotiation the thinking goes. Huge assumption I know.

    Also as we the near end of the year, an extra bonus(for closing out the development) wouldn't hurt. Obviously I'm making a lot of assumptions here but what do you think would be a reasonable amount to discount the offer by. I made a spreadsheet model to deduce the monetary impact of the supposed increased wear-and-tear on the property and I got to about $35k - that said I made a lot of assumptions that I'm not sure are reasonable. Anyone have experience in this area/advice for me?

    submitted by /u/TownhomesnRedditLand
    [link] [comments]

    When to find a realtor, how to know if they are worth their weight from across the country?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 09:04 PM PDT

    I am moving across the country at the end of this year for work and am looking into purchasing my first home. I am solely looking at this property as an investment and am not looking to find my dream home. Since this is my first property that I will purchase I am unsure where to start on how to find a real estate agent. I am also curious as to when I should be looking at getting an agent, I should arrive around the first week of January from driving across the country. I also have limited knowledge on home buying and would like to know the key points of what exactly the realtor should know before I choose the agent. As a side note is it reasonable to expect to find a property and close within a 2 month span?Thank you so much!

    submitted by /u/2T2Good
    [link] [comments]

    (TX) Houston Mortgage Brokers

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 08:54 PM PDT

    Can anyone recommend a good one in the Houston area? We sought after Rock Mortgage but haven't heard from them after prequalifying. Any help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/nathansmom
    [link] [comments]

    Do realtors work with FSBO with MLS listings offering 3%

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 12:52 PM PDT

    I'm an experienced home buyer/seller, but not a realtor.

    If you are a realtor, and I use a flat fee MLS listing agent, and you see our house on the MLS, with a 3% Buyer Agent commission, would you and your fellow realtors show it?

    I'm in Virginia if that makes any difference.

    submitted by /u/oakmanii
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment