• Breaking News

    Thursday, October 17, 2019

    Financial Independence Daily FI discussion thread - October 17, 2019

    Financial Independence Daily FI discussion thread - October 17, 2019


    Daily FI discussion thread - October 17, 2019

    Posted: 17 Oct 2019 01:06 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to have discussions which you don't feel warrant a new post to the sub. While the Rules for posting questions on the basics of personal finance/investing topics are relaxed a little bit here, the rules against memes/spam/self-promotion/excessive rudeness/politics still apply!

    Have a look at the FAQ for this subreddit before posting to see if your question is frequently asked.

    Since this post does tend to get busy, consider sorting the comments by "new" (instead of "best" or "top") to see the newest posts.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Why Don’t Rich People Just Stop Working? (NYT)

    Posted: 17 Oct 2019 10:21 AM PDT

    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/17/style/rich-people-things.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

    -No one has a "number" these days (sad)

    -Without work we must face the nature of existence" (basically ignoring your own mortality via distracting yourself)

    -Running in circles with other rich people (Keep up w/ Joneses)

    -Addicted to money

    -The world as we know it is about to collapse..need enough money to colonize Mars/Move to New Zealand/freeze my body/ etc

    Are any of these reasons compelling to you? The people referenced in the article seem absolutely insufferable.

    submitted by /u/third_wave
    [link] [comments]

    FIRE Flow Chart Second Revision

    Posted: 17 Oct 2019 02:27 PM PDT

    Earlier this week, I made an attempt at the FIRE flow chart. I have taken many of the suggestions and tried to implement them. If you do make a comment on this version, please indicate which version number you are referring to. If I have time, I'll try to update small version history in this post.

    While people mentioned they would like to see non-USA FIRE flow charts, I'm going to stick with US for now, but I will be happy to share the original file to other redditors to add in another country's specific details

    In the final version, I plan on having reference links as some people have suggested having. I think the most appropriate links to reference are only hyperlinking government official sites. I have started making a reference link, but I would be open to everyone helping me identify the best ones for which topic.

    My goal is to learn more about how to make awesome flow charts and about FIRE, but I think it would be awesome if the finalized version of the FIRE flow chart is referenced to newcomers.

    Here you go! Version 3.0

    submitted by /u/happyasianpanda
    [link] [comments]

    What they really want for the position is a person who is FI

    Posted: 17 Oct 2019 05:24 AM PDT

    I had a leader (but not mine) at work tell me that they are posting a new 10 year experienced job in the coming months. When he spoke with my second level leader about it, he told her that they want another me. They are going to focus on hiring outside of the company, because that's where I came from. I think that's a nice compliment, but I'm not sure he knows why I fit his needs. He likes that I'm not afraid to ask a question I perceive as possibly dumb in a meeting filled with experts, and the fact I'm willing to say in the middle of the same meeting with people "higher up" than me that we shouldn't waste time on things that can be done with fewer people at a later time.

    He wants a person who's not afraid to lose their job. Who doesn't need that job. This should be interesting.

    submitted by /u/mandy_2002
    [link] [comments]

    Building the life you want ?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2019 06:36 AM PDT

    I am firmly into my grind phase towards FIRE so it's time to start thinking about what would come after. Some people say build the life you want and then save for it.

    I however recently realized I'm very much a workaholic nearing my fourth decade with 20 years of experience, and for a very long time life has mostly been about work. I have honestly little idea of what I want. I strive towards having a freedom of time, but without really knowing what to do with that time, it's just a goal like any other. I work remotely and I live in a very rural, very quiet LCOL area where there's simply not so much to be done except hiking in the backcountry. When the work is done, there's typically more work in the form of house maintenance etc.

    While it's hard to admit, I'm not really sure where to start with this non-work life thing. Most of my entertainment is passive (reading, an occassional video game, Netflix) as the winters are long and dark. I take one big trip per year. I'm not very healthy. Married without kids. But frankly I don't see myself filling 12 months of the year with those kinds of activities, and without anything to take its place, I am sure my time will be spent on simply working more.

    So as I'm at the start of my journey to replace work with something else, I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences on how to make that happen or simply learning how to live.

    submitted by /u/alltakendamned
    [link] [comments]

    Remote Jobs - It's Time We Take Them More Seriously

    Posted: 17 Oct 2019 06:51 AM PDT

    Hello financial independence seekers,

    Having read the sidebar etc. I think this post should be OK, if not controversial. Mods, if you need to delete it though feel free.

    What I'm going to argue is that people's desire to FIRE would drastically reduce if they were given the option of flexible and remote work and identical salary as they make now.

    I see it mentioned sometimes in the sub as some kind of unattainable dream or unrealistic idea, and I don't know why, because it's really out there already. I truly believe remote work is the future, and it should be absorbed into the FIRE philosophy a little more readily than it already is. The idea that you're going to be tied to an office for even the next 10 or even 5 years is a little ignorant of all the tech updates we're going to experience during that time. Offices will soon be 100% optional, and are already rapidly being replaced by things like Zoom meetings etc... and if the only thing you hate is offices, realize they may be out of your career picture eventually anyway, and maybe plan accordingly.

    Would love to hear people's opinions on this perspective, which is that "work" will look and become totally different in the coming years due to the expanding remote landscape (and some of us are there already, knowing it is different), and whether or not a remote working landscape changes your FIRE priorities in any way.

    submitted by /u/socialwarning
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment