• Breaking News

    Friday, October 11, 2019

    Accounting “how do you plan on getting everything done before the deadline?”

    Accounting “how do you plan on getting everything done before the deadline?”


    “how do you plan on getting everything done before the deadline?”

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 07:27 AM PDT

    A quick summary of busy season for all the new recruits

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 08:58 AM PDT

    Getting back review notes with "pls fix before you leave" on a Friday afternoon.

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 12:38 PM PDT

    Don't send me a picture of that!

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 08:57 AM PDT

    I received a text message from a member of my team with a picture attached. It read, "I am sorry, but I will be late. My family was murdered. Will be in as soon as I can." A picture of the murders was attached to the text.

    She had only been on my team for a week. I told her to take her time, and I would see her when she got to work. When she arrived a few hours later, she walked into my office with a look of fear on her face apologizing again.

    I sat her down and made a couple of things clear about my leadership style.

    1. If you tell me something, I will trust you unless you give me a reason not to. Do not send "proof" of what you're saying.

    2. Don't apologize to me for something that's not your fault. Murders happen every day!

    3. Work/life balance. You have work, and you have life. I'll never ask you to sacrifice one for the other.

    She was relieved to hear those things. She stated her previous boss would have made her feel as if she had done something wrong, and she was hesitant ever to ask to come in late or leave early for any reason.

    Leading with fear, hostility, and incivility will get you nowhere.

    Leading with respect, empathy, and compassion will take you everywhere.

    submitted by /u/mac-0
    [link] [comments]

    Everything the light touches...

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 12:46 AM PDT

    Thought you guys would enjoy this LIT & SAVAGE job offer I got

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 12:48 PM PDT

    Working at/adapting to big 4 culture coming from a poor background

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 01:38 PM PDT

    So I'm blessed enough to have got a job from a big 4 firm. I haven't started yet but we have already had multiple socials. I know this place is very pessimistic at times but honestly it's still an honor to start your career at even a national level firm. There's many people on this planet who would easily prefer being in those shoes.

    I come from an abusive background with a very mentally ill father. We came from a poor country when I was an infant and never adapted to the west. Just lots of abuse and neglect because of my father's mental issues and not allowed to socialize much, ever go out alone, go camping, or go to a sleepover, etc. This really hindered my development mentally but also socially.

    When I went to the last social I made an idiot out of myself a few times and wondered what the fuck is wrong with me. All these Asian chicks were ordering fancy drinks that I never even heard of while I kept ordering beers because I did not want to feel stupid and didn't want hard liquor. Beer and liquor is all I ever drank at college.

    The most obvious example was when they were serving some dish, it was like ice cream but it had a base, like a cookie/pretzel or something under it and then you dress it on top. It had some fancy name and I looked like a complete fool because I wanted some but didn't know what to ask. So I ended up asking an associate I gelled with from an earlier social. I was like to him "do I just say I want an ice cream with a cookie under it?" And then he told me what it's called. But I didn't hear him right so confirmed and he just looked at me and was like "..bro it's not that hard." It's a small example but it's stuff like that which makes me go what am I doing here. I brought this topic up with my older brother and he said he finds himself in these situations all the time, where things/terms seem normal to other people but he doesn't get it because we never had standard childhood experiences that would result in using those terms. I also made an idiot of myself once when introducing myself to a group of managers who were hiding in a corner. Tbf that was kinda on them, because if you're not interested in socializing with associates why bother coming. Just let someone who's not just there for the free food come instead lol. They stood in a corner the entire night never going to talk to anyone and no one talking to them for longer than a minute while the partners and national leads or w.e. you call em and everyone else walked around actively budding conversations and being friendly. So I tried introducing myself to them and one of them just started making fun of me cause I asked him if he's a senior associate and he was like "wrong, why don't you guess again." I still felt like an idiot and like I was being cringe/uncultured for not having an ice breaker naturally occur to me. I was just tryna break the ice but the guy seemed to not take it well which means I probably messed up. Tbf the rest of the night went great and I even made a few great connections with people I wanted to get to know more. I definitely felt a culture shock though because I wasn't used to that kind of set up or that kind of food. It was like it was straight outta the movies. To others it's probably being dramatic but for me I definitely felt a bit of a culture shock. How should I best deal with that? I definitely feel like I risk coming across as uncultured at times which I would like to avoid.

    submitted by /u/accountingjobadvice
    [link] [comments]

    Thank you Accounting reddit for supplying information LinkedIn only claims to supply.

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 07:24 AM PDT

    Well this sucks.

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 12:53 PM PDT

    EY Ghosted

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 07:23 PM PDT

    So does EY ghost everyone they don't hire?

    I'm still working on a degree and had an on campus interview. I thought it went really well and there was a great dynamic. I guess I was wrong. They said they'd let me know by Friday but nothing came. They said if I heard nothing I should reach out to them via email. Well I did earlier this morning and there was no response. I know I didn't get the job at this point and that's fine. It just sucks they didn't even bother telling me. After the video interview, social meeting, and the additional 2 interviews. I was so excited I got the interview and they left me feeling like I don't even deserve a sorry no offer call.

    Has this happened to a lot of you guys or is it just our local office?

    submitted by /u/Thusgirl
    [link] [comments]

    bUyiNg SuBSIdIaRiEs rEduCEs P=pRE-tAx pROfIT

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 04:22 PM PDT

    KPMG (International Tax) OR EY (Audit)

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 06:41 PM PDT

    I need help making a decision for a internship, they are both great firms and it is not an easy decision to make. I have done my research on both service lines and know a lot about the travel, wage etc, I am thinking more long term and working in public accounting full time what service would be better and why? If you have any experience in either service line please give me your knowledge and some thoughts. I can see myself doing both that is why I am stuck.

    submitted by /u/Meechooo
    [link] [comments]

    CPA PEP Results Thread October 11, 2019

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 06:57 AM PDT

    I wrote Tax as my second elective...

    Know I screwed up at least one part of the first case (Shareholder Loans); hope it won't tank me!

    submitted by /u/AccountingAcct
    [link] [comments]

    Promoted from intern to partner AMA!

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 09:52 AM PDT

    I don’t understand how to “git gud” at taxes

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 07:31 AM PDT

    I'm a newish tax associate. I have been with my firm for less than a year. So far I enjoy it and even my co workers aren't to bad. The only problem I'm having is I don't feel like I'm learning anything. 90% of the time I'm just using SALY and the other 10% I'll ask a manager how to do something. I'm getting good reviews and feedback back so far. I can't say I really learned anything this year though.

    I really noticed this when someone asked me to explain the difference between and S Corp and a partnership. I talked for 20 minutes and was just kind of saying tax buzz words I heard partners say. I think I bull shitted myself out that situation pretty well, but that's when it hit me that I have no idea what I'm doing in tax.

    I ask all of you tax studs for the answer on how to get good at this. Just passed FAR and I'm taking REG next so I'm sure that should help a little. I would still like to really understand my profession a lot better though

    submitted by /u/adcc80182839
    [link] [comments]

    Why does it seem like every B4 Male partner is either an Autist or a Sociopath?

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 10:16 PM PDT

    A few questions on the cpa exam (how to start studying)?

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 06:21 PM PDT

    Is 2 months to study FAR too long? I will probably be working about 20-25 hours but other than just studying. I will have from Jan - Sept 2020 to study before I start FT (mid Sept) Also which exam to start first ? I'm taking cost Acct and Adv Accounting (and two other classes).. I forgot a lot of intermediate accounting. I also heard that Cost is a big part of BEC. Any tips are appreciated :)

    submitted by /u/comeinmybuth
    [link] [comments]

    Is it feasible to ask for a start date 2.5 months after the date listed on my offer letter?

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 06:20 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    Following a tax internship at a very small (one location, not a big city either) firm over the Summer, I was offered a full time position one year later following my graduation. I'm grateful to receive the offer, and would love to work with this firm for a multitude of reasons(competitive pay, flexible hours, VERY informal/casual, etc.) however the only issue I have is the start date. I'll be finishing school in mid June 2020 and would start the next Monday after coming home, according to the start date on the offer letter. I really want to take some time off to unwind and travel abroad before beginning life in public accounting(especially since the internship over the Summer lasted my entire Summer break so I haven't had a proper break since the prior Summer), but I'm not sure how plausible it would be to ask for.

    At the least I'd like to start on August 1 which would give me a month and a half off between graduating and starting, but I'd honestly prefer September 1 so I could get the most out of my travels. However I saw myself how busy it gets around mid September and October and I know they would need all the help they could get ASAP considering how small the firm is. Regardless, I want to try and ask so I was wondering what the best way to phrase this request would be? I was thinking of expressing my gratitude towards the offer, letting them know how eager I am to start, but following up with a statement along the lines of "my educational and personal goals don't coincide with the current start date and I'd like to see if we can negotiate and push it back to September 1". I might even take classes online to finish up the 15 or so units I need for CPA eligibility, so there are definitely more reasons for the break than just personal fun. Any thoughts/experiences?

    TL;DR - Received offer from very very small, informal firm. Would prefer to start August/September 1 instead of mid-June right after finishing school. Best way to phrase my request?

    submitted by /u/Wreeper
    [link] [comments]

    CPAs in public accounting: do you notice auditors being paid more and promoted faster than tax accountants, or vice versa? (Assuming same education, years of experience, comparable work quality, etc)

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 02:25 PM PDT

    Confused about Sales taxes for resellers, Please Help.

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 09:44 PM PDT

    I recently started buying items for resale. Got my tax id and sellers permit. But i am confused on how to avoid having to pay sales tax on items I buy from out of state for resale. For example, I live in California and am going to buy items from Washington on eBay for resale. How do I not pay resale taxes on these purchases since Washington does not accept out of state sellers permit. Is there a line on my California tax return or way for me to get back the taxes paid on these purchases since the intention was to buy it for resale.

    I think there might be a simple answer to this as I have read somewhere that you can get the sales tax back when you file your return. But I did also see on taxjar that it might not be possible to get sales tax back if you don't have nexus in that state.

    So, my question is: How do I recover sales taxes paid on items for resale from out of state vendors when they don't accept sellers permits.

    Anyways, I hope anyone that comes across this can help me. It will be much appreciated. Thxs.

    submitted by /u/Obito0592
    [link] [comments]

    Weekend before 10/15 deadline

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 03:37 PM PDT

    Got an email saying we're going to have to be in the office, mandatory both days, at least normal working hours. Already having to work late tonight.

    Buckle in boys and girls, it's going to be a rough ride. This already has surpassed the last fall busy season in terms of how bad it is by miles.

    Any of y'all other public tax people experiencing this?

    submitted by /u/cometssaywhoosh
    [link] [comments]

    Help with FIFO homework question

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 09:18 PM PDT

    Hi I am just struggling to understand parts of this problem. So it wants to know the ending merchandise inventory at Dec 31, 2018. So here's what we have.

    Beginning Merchandise inventory as of Jan 1 2018 - 300 units at $80

    March 10 - Sold 80 units

    June 10 - Purchased 600 units at $85

    October 30 - Sold 380 units

    Now i know the answer is $37,400. First I added up units produced which gave me 900. Then I added up units sold which gave me 460. Then I subtracted the two and got 440 units ending inventory. However this is where I get confused. Why do I multiply 440 by $85 if it is FIFO? Wouldn't that $85 be considered last in first out? If i wanted first in first out I should multiply that 440 by 80 instead since that was first in. What am i doing wrong? thank you

    submitted by /u/AUniqueUsername1996
    [link] [comments]

    NYC EY Interviews

    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 08:51 PM PDT

    Has anyone in the NYC area received a response after their Yello interview with EY? I submitted mine Sunday, 9/29 and have yet to hear back. I'm waiting until Monday to follow up so I'm wondering if anyone was in a similar position. Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/iamcrl
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment