• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 10, 2019

    When is the loan worth it? Student Loans

    When is the loan worth it? Student Loans


    When is the loan worth it?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 10:35 AM PDT

    First time poster here. Looking for some advice...

    Bottom line: should I take a $60k loan to get an msc in international health policy from the London school of economics ?

    Here's my story: I originally had the financial support of my family for grad school. I know how lucky I am to be in such a position and am trying to check myself on privilege and what I take for granted. My father offered to pay half (30k) if my mother covers the other half. But, my mom does not have the money. He has since rescinded his offer and says he will not contribute anything to my schooling this fall. So now I must consider if it is worth it to double my loan. London school of economics has a great reputation and the health policy curriculum is exactly what I am looking for. My career goal is to be a healthcare consultant, which makes anywhere from $40k-100k in an entry level position. I am from New York but now live in Amsterdam. I finished my bachelors last year and am on a gap year working as an au pair. Read: making no money, Minimum savings. I came here primarily for my girlfriend, who is Dutch, but also to get away from my life in New York. My father has said that he might be able to give some money for grad school next year and he wants me to defer my enrollment and come home to live with him. My parents have just gotten divorced in a very ugly way and, even though I am across the ocean, I am still a pawn in their fight. So, coming home for a year seems hellish. I cannot stay in Amsterdam because I cannot get a job here. To work here I first must get my masters. If I stay I would only be doing service jobs and scraping by. Aka not saving. Part of me thinks I am just being ungrateful and should go home. But most of me knows that I will be miserable and any amount of money is worth avoiding that.

    How can I monetize the worth of my happiness and evaluate the risks? I was comfortable taking 30k in loans but is 60 too much?

    I would love to hear from some people who have successfully paid off such large loans. Any advice y'all can give me is appreciated.

    Thanks Redditors xx

    submitted by /u/madlyinlove420
    [link] [comments]

    Can I add parents to direct unsubsidized loans?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 07:08 PM PDT

    Earlier this past year I took out a direct unsubsidized loan for graduate school. In the past my parents have done volunteer work and have recieved repayment Grant's through Americorps. This is the second year they have done this and we just found out they are only allowed to give so much of them for one person. I'm wondering is there anyway I could add them to my existing loan so they could apply the grant under their name to my loan?

    submitted by /u/Zebrafish45
    [link] [comments]

    Should I take out loans to get a second bachelors degree?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 02:11 PM PDT

    I'm a senior in college currently majoring in English Literature but regretting my choice of major. I wished I had picked a major that is more in demand, stable, and has a higher starting salary such as Computer Science or Nursing. With that being said, I'm supposed to be graduating in Spring of 2020 but I'm thinking of staying longer and getting a second bachelors. I currently have about 8000 dollars in student loan debt and would definitely have to take out more to continue my education. My grants and scholarships run out after 4.5 years so I would have to solely pay my tuition with loans. I don't know whether I should just graduate with my bachelors in English or if it would be worth it to stay and get another degree and be in more debt but being able to get a better, higher paying job because of my second bachelors. Any advice for me?

    submitted by /u/rilynblue
    [link] [comments]

    Should I take out loans for college?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 07:19 PM PDT

    I have been saving money to go to college for several years now, and my school's projected cost for a degree is less than what I have saved. I figure that there is no way that I won't have to take out loans at some point, but should I pay for school out of my savings until I need to take on a loan? My parents have graciously let me live with them until I'm finished with school, so living expenses won't be an issue. I'm worried that I'll find out once I start that there were a bunch of hidden costs I did not prepare for, but I don't really have anyone to ask since I'm the first person in my family to go to college. Has anyone else faced a similar dillema, or can you possibly explain what taking out loans means in the long term? I've heard that you have to pay them back for decades afterwards in some cases, but I'm not sure about how it all works? Any advice anyone can give would be really appreciated!

    submitted by /u/unity57643
    [link] [comments]

    Loan approved versus Loan granted

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 06:48 PM PDT

    I had been approved for a $5,000 loan through Wells Fargo. I intended to use the loan to cover th cost of my summer tuition along with living expenses and expenses I might face while applying for jobs. My loan was approved, but when my school received it, they only accepted the exact cost of the tuition. I did not receive any of the remaining balance on the loan.

    I guess I don't understand why I was granted/approved for a $5,000 loan while I am not even able to access the full amount of that loan. Why does my school limit the amount granted when they have already received the payment through Wells Fargo? Would it have been better to apply for a private loan for that amount?

    submitted by /u/zwharris13
    [link] [comments]

    Student Loan Repayment & Educational Assistance Questions - Advice Needed!

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 06:32 PM PDT

    Hoping this is the right place to seek help!

    Some brief background. I currently have ~ 30k in student loans and plan to attend business school in the fall of 2020, so will be incurring significantly more education related expenses. I have currently have a 529 college savings plan in NY to take advantage of the NYS tax deductions and tax-free appreciation of the account. My Employer currently offers a 401k plan but does not match any contributions we make to it.

    My questions are:

    1. Can someone clarify this decision ( https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-wd/201833012.pdf ). My understanding of SLR nonelective contributions isn't great... Am I eligible to have my employer contribute 5% up my eligible compensation to a repay my student loans, so long as I contribute 2% of my eligible income? If so, do the employer contributions essentially repay the student loans pre-tax? Or must I record their contribution as income?
    2. Regarding my 529 Plan - is there a way to have my employer contribute to this account in a manner that wouldn't require me to record their contribution as income? A thought I had was to use the Educational assistance program, which allows employers to contribute $5,250 for qualified education expenses... My expenses will not be incurred this year but will qualify next year.... Am I eligible to receive the $5,250 tax-free contribution for expenses to be incurred in future years?
    3. Again, I'm not an expert, but can I tax advantage of the American Opportunity Tax Credit Program or the Life Time Learning Credit to either save for future business school education expenses pre-tax, or pay down my current student loans pre-tax?
    4. Is there any other way to contribute pre-tax dollars to 529 plans, perhaps from other pre-tax accounts, or pay down student loans pre-tax.

    TLDR Summary: Essentially, I'm looking to pay the largest amount of my current student loans pre-tax and make the largest amount of pre-tax contributions to a 529 or similar plan to pay for business school starting next year and am unclear on my options. My employer will be open to working with me and making contributions that are eligible.

    Any advice or clarity on the questions above is greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/NinthGreenat9
    [link] [comments]

    Defaulted...for a decade

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 12:38 PM PDT

    I went to a private 4 year school right out of HS- ten years ago. I didn't even really complete a full year due to a multitude of reasons most of which required therapy.

    At the time, I had absolutely no concept of money when I clicked the boxes on the computer for my federal loans. 10k worth.

    They've been on my credit report for years. Which I've largely ignored and found ways around. But now I want to finish school.

    I'm at a loss. My loans have doubled and I have no idea how to get out of this mess. I'm a nanny and I get paid under the table (how this has gone on for so long) and I need advice. What's the best path forward back to school? I'm hoping to go to a community college and work and minimize and loans necessary in the future but getting BACK has been incredibly difficult with my loans in default. What do I do?

    Edit:

    Y'all. I honestly didn't know I could rehabilitate my loans so easily. Especially being that I'm paid under the table. But I got it set up aside from the actual paperwork that I need to receive and fax back. I could be eligible for federal benefits in six months but likely I won't try until fall of 2020. Holy buckets. This could really happen!!!

    submitted by /u/masquedinred
    [link] [comments]

    Options for student loans and social security disability

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 03:36 PM PDT

    I have a friend asking me about her student loans. She defaulted because she got sick and wound up on disability. Now she is in the process of either rehabilitating the loans or submitting paperwork for potential dismissal. She may be able to get back to work sooner than 3 years though before a discharge (thus stopping the loans from getting discharged)....what would you do in her shoes?

    Anyone out there have experience with something similar? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/SparePapaya
    [link] [comments]

    Student Loan 6 month grace period

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 09:13 AM PDT

    So I am taking a summer class that puts me at halftime and that classes last day is July 12. Springs 2020 semester begins on January 13. Will the grace period not be used up by then? Or do I need to register for classes in the fall?

    submitted by /u/pacmain1
    [link] [comments]

    Receiving Texts About Loans Scheduled for Full Forgiveness

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 10:58 AM PDT

    I have to assume these are scams of some sort. I have never responded, but I have received a few of these texts. One came from 1 (833) 803-5564 and in the text it said to reach them at (855) 692-7299. Another was from (855) 982-1659 and the text said to call (833) 851-1398 to finalize. Safe to assume it's not real and block the numbers?

    submitted by /u/oldschoolsensei
    [link] [comments]

    Refinancing student loans?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 02:40 PM PDT

    Have any of you in this subreddit gone through the process of refinancing? I am looking to consolidate all my loans from two private companies and would appreciate any advice.

    I do also have federal loans, however, I am going to go the income driven route with those.

    submitted by /u/SuperSaiyanSamurai
    [link] [comments]

    Private Loans

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 02:09 PM PDT

    Hi! I'm going to be attending community college this fall. My total is about $2500 a semester. I applied for fafsa and got nothing, not even any loans. So I'm looking for any reliable private loan companies I could apply for a loan from and any suggestions anyone might have for me!

    submitted by /u/niinaviic
    [link] [comments]

    What happens if I take a gap year?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 01:44 PM PDT

    I'm supposed to be going into my second year in September, but I got my bill yesterday and it's just way too expensive. If I take a year off to save and figure out what to do, what happens to my loans? Do I have to start paying them off?

    submitted by /u/lankychipmonk
    [link] [comments]

    Guys I missed the FAFSA priority deadline plz help

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 01:21 PM PDT

    I missed the priority March 1 deadline for the FAFSA by a month and I just got the student bill, which reminded me how genuinely fucked I am from this. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Smelleroni
    [link] [comments]

    Private loans for school and other options

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 01:04 PM PDT

    So I'll be going to school this fall (freshman) and need around 7k per semester or 14k per year. I don't want to ask my parents to be a co-signer and I have no credit history. The main thing is I can drastically reduce the price if I don't dorm for my first year. I save about 10k if I don't dorm and don't take the meal plan. 2k a semester is pretty easy to work off and I get this is probably my best choice. I don't want to live with my parents, it's difficult. Family life right now I just don't want to deal with. Should I just find an apartment? Roommates? What are my options for loans?

    submitted by /u/BnJova
    [link] [comments]

    Navient loan has a $0 balance, but the loan still is active?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 05:20 AM PDT

    I paid off a couple loans this week (hooray!), and I figured I was done with them. But, they have not yet been put in the paid-in-full section. When I look at the loans I paid off in more detail, one of them (for example) says that it still has a section that says "Total amount to be repaid" and I still have $570 left to repay with a begin date of 7/14. Why can't I pay this off now? And does this mean that on that day the loan's balance will increase by that amount, or is this some sort of error? Really bummed me out seeing this after I thought I had them paid off, haha. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Kanep96
    [link] [comments]

    Federal vs Private Loan

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 07:04 AM PDT

    Going to law school in Fall 2019 (first year) and need a about a $10,000 loan for my first year. I know I need to fill out the fafsa to find out what type of loans I qualify for federally but I am wondering what the typical difference is when receiving a federal loan or a private loan (meaning interest rates, time to pay, deferrals). I am a 22 year old and have about 800 credit from two credit cards I have had for about 4 years. I am filling out the Fafsa now so I will be able to update on what I am offered, however right now am just wondering if somebody in my position would be better off with a government loan or private loan. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/sman1027
    [link] [comments]

    Wife finishs Junior year of college with a 3.9 GPA. Gets denied student loans for senior year.

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 02:31 PM PDT

    Canada Student Loan Settlement - Anyone have success with this?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 10:26 AM PDT

    My Canada student loan defaulted years ago (I finished school in 2003 and didn't start paying until 2015) and I've just called the agent in charge of my account in an attempt to get a settlement cost that's lower than the total owed balance. She's told me she cannot do this and that I have to write a letter to "Collections, Litigations and Advisory Services" including my settlement offer, why I'm offering it and the source of these funds.

    Has anyone done this before and had any luck? I'd like some advice. I'm hoping to make an offer of about half of what I currently ($23K down to $12K) as most of it is interest at this point, and I'm now off on medical leave due to some life threatening surgery I need. The monthly payment I currently give will require me to be paying for another 20 years to pay it off. I've got a lump sum coming my way due to my leave that I want to throw at this loan to just get rid of it. I have some family members who depend on me financially and if I could get this debt off my back it'd be such a help as I go in to this extended period without a full paycheque.

    Any insight or help on how to articulate my letter for the best hope of success would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/peeweeharmani
    [link] [comments]

    Repaye and pay raise

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 09:57 AM PDT

    I have a question regarding when to report changes in income. I had previously contacted navient when I heard we were getting a 5%pay increase and they said I only have to resubmit financial information when recertifying my repaye plan. Recently I got news my job class would be receiving a much bigger pay increase from 51 a year to 63-64. Keeping the extra 130 in pocket would be nice for saving until it comes time to redo the plan, but I don't want to cause problems for myself by holding off.

    submitted by /u/twsang
    [link] [comments]

    parent plus loan refinancing advice needed

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 09:56 AM PDT

    Hello all, I was wondering if any of you could offer personal advice on refinancing a parent plus loan. The rough numbers on my parent plus loan are 45k total, with 7% interest, $390 min. payment over 15 years. These numbers are not exact, as the loan is in my parents name, and they are generally incompetent with this kind of thing. I can't access the loan information easily (although the payments are taken directly from my account) because of a disconnect with my parents.

    I'd like to refinance these loans, as i'm making payments on them anyway and dealing with them in this current situation with my parents is nothing short of awful. My current financial stats are 24 y/o, 85k yearly salary, and 39k in federal student loans. I also have a 705 credit score as of now, although this is subject to rise to around 730 as I put a large purchase on a rewards CC and then didn't pay it off in full before it counted on my credit report (oops).

    What is the best loan refinancing company? What should I know before I do it? (P.S. yes I am aware having the loans in my name incurs more risk. In this case however it is a need)

    submitted by /u/Hypern1ke
    [link] [comments]

    Private Loans that offer National Service Forgiveness

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 09:36 AM PDT

    Hey all,

    I'm a rising junior in undergraduate that is looking into doing either the PeaceCorps and/or AmeriCorps directly after school. I looked into Discover Student Loans and I found that they offer deferment on my payments while I would be away, however they do not engage in loan forgiveness. I was wondering if anyone here knew of any private loan companies that offer loan forgiveness for participating in National Service programs. Feel free to comment the best student loans deals I could get for my situation as well if you do not know any companies that offer any form of forgiveness lol. Anything is appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/looseymoosey1
    [link] [comments]

    Do I Apply for Student Loans by Semester or Year?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 07:37 AM PDT

    I am beginning my private loan applications in the near future for my third year of college as a transfer student to a new university. I need to take out a decent amount of private loans and I do not have a cosigner due to circumstances beyond my control. I know that my college will be billing by semester. What I was wondering is if I should apply for student loans by semester or by year. What are the pros and cons?

    Thank you for your help.

    submitted by /u/thenooklings
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment