• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 11, 2019

    Weekly Politics Discussion Megapost Student Loans

    Weekly Politics Discussion Megapost Student Loans


    Weekly Politics Discussion Megapost

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 01:11 PM PDT

    /r/StudentLoans is not /r/Politics, but student loans have a political component (especially this election season) and that deserves discussion!

    This is an automatic weekly post designed to host discussions about legislative proposals, candidate platforms, and other political topics relating to student loans. Posts and comments that fit these categories will be removed from other areas of the /r/StudentLoans community. Comments that only loosely relate to student loans should be taken to /r/politics or a similar sub and may be removed from here. Links to external websites or other subreddits must primarily relate to student loans.

    The rules of /r/StudentLoans still apply. Personal attacks, speculation about the motives or debt situation of other users, and unsolicited advice will be removed. This is also not a platform for specific political advocacy; this includes linking to petitions and soliciting campaign contributions.

    (This weekly aggregation post is an experiment. Please let the mods know your thoughts and if you have suggestions for improvement either by commenting here or via modmail.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    The process of taking out a private student loan?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 12:02 AM PDT

    School starts in about a month and a half and I have no clue on how to take out private loans. I was wondering what is the best approach in finding the best lender? Should I just go to every single known lender and see which ones gives the lowest interest rate? Also is it possible to ask for a certain amount each semester and they will loan you it? Thanks.

    Edit: I also only need to take out 3k for the whole year.

    submitted by /u/Diztanc
    [link] [comments]

    For all of you paying attention to the borrower defense shenanigans..

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 07:07 AM PDT

    Warning..NSFW but only because you will almost certainly drop an f bomb or two when you see this. I did..thank goodness I work from home. https://twitter.com/mstratford/status/1148703496914558989?s=19

    These were for Corinthian students..the clearest case of school fraud we had at least in the public eye at that point. I just don't get the mindset here.

    EDIT - Hey - swear about this all you want at home or even here but please do not start attacking her on social media. Send a thoughtful and respectful message if you want to share your opinion and try to influence a positive change. Sending something nasty is not productive at all. You may not agree with her - I don't - but she's still a person. We should be able to disagree with each other and still be kind - those things are not mutually exclusive.

    submitted by /u/Betsy514
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to see how much private student loans you qualify for without going straight to the borrowing process?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 04:56 PM PDT

    Every site seems to streamline you straight into the process of borrowing. I don't want this, I just want to see what I could borrow if needed. Similar to what a bank would tell you for a car or mortgage.

    Is there a site that aggregates this sort of thing for you? That would be an AMAZING site for planning purposes.

    submitted by /u/El_Tr0d
    [link] [comments]

    can the interest amount change every month if i pay off a lot?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 12:22 AM PDT

    so let's say i have a loan of $50k, my interest rate is 5% per yr ($2,500) and i decide to pay off $10k in two months. Will this large sum of payment decrease my monthly interest payment for the next 10 months to $40k*5%=$2k, or does my interest amount stay unchanged no matter how much i pay off within that year, and stick to the interest amount calculated based on the initial loan amount of $50k, in this case $2,500?

    submitted by /u/oserenityo
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone here decided it was neccessary to pay their parents back for the report they recieved throughout college?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 09:06 PM PDT

    25 yo here. Currently in my last year of graduate school in a medical profession.

    I funded the majority of my undergraduate, first graduate education (18 month Master's) and second graduate education (current school) completely off of loans. Not only were those loans covering tuition, but I was also taking out loans to cover the remainder of my rent, utilities, internet, books, and other needs like groceries etc.

    Since I first began college in 2013, my parents have essentially been providing me with 400-500 a month. Pretty much every month, without fail, I receive that much from them. I used this to cover rent (sometimes completely, other times not) and for other expences.

    In August of 2020, I'll finally be graduating. My starting salary will hopefully be around 100k, and I'll be about 110K in debt to the amazing federal government.

    My question to you all: did any of you who got support from your parents throughout your academic journies pay them some portion of that back once you got out of school?

    The other day I had a conversation with my father about my job opportunities after school. I mentioned the money I'd be earning and how much soul-crushing debt I'll be sending off to the government every month and he, in all seriousness, said "I'm sorry to remind you, but you can't forget about us as well. You're going to have to send some our way, too." Dead serious. He wants to retire and use a portion of my earnings to live.

    For reference: my parents are very proud of me and my achievements, and they are very proud of feeling as though they played a significant part of my success (moving me from location to location, providing me with money, etc). Together, my parent's don't make a lot of money--they probably pull in 100k together. Nonetheless, to them, losing out on ~6k per year is a big deal to them, especially for a consecutive 7 straight years.

    But my knee jerk reaction is ... wtf? Some parents are completely paying for their kid's educations. Don't get me wrong, I'm completely grateful for everything they've done, but now I'm supposed to turn around and support my parents. I think that's slightly bullshit, but I could just be viewing this incorrectly. Don't get me wrong-- I can't wait to pay for some vacations for my parents, and finally pick up the check after some nice dinners... but cutting a check home to mom and dad every month seems a litte too far.

    TL;DR for those of you who got parent financial aid throughout school, did you return the favor back once you were finally making money? if so, how?

    submitted by /u/LosSoloLobos
    [link] [comments]

    Does a student have any options besides filing a lawsuit when...

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 10:39 AM PDT

    Your loan provider refuses to discharge loans they are statutorily mandated to discharge? I was an Argosy University student for 4 years and they closed. Statute mandates discharge of my loans but all Navient keeps doing is sending back my discharge application telling me corrections are needed. I correct them, it gets sent back again with other corrections needed. I correct them, it gets send back again saying to previous corrections need correcting again... and on and on. It is clear they are simply refusing to discharge my loans as required by law but there does not appear to be any recourse other than hiring a personal attorney to file a motion against them. How are these scam companies allowed to get away with this shit?

    submitted by /u/DiligentConcept
    [link] [comments]

    Small student loan a bad idea?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 03:08 PM PDT

    So I was in college for 3 years previously before I joined the military. I am now returning to school on the GI bill (school 100% paid for +2k a month if a full time student) . Im very limited in what I can take for the first semester because my knowledge in my major has weakened. I dont feel comfortable taking any of the upper core unless ive spent about 7weeks or so prior refreshing the prereqs. In my mind, id be set up for failure if I didnt take that time. There are only some major classes that im comfortable with. But unfortunately, those classes filled up. With that said, I might be looking at taking 1 or 2 classes of electives for the first semester. I cant recieve the Monthly Housing Allowance from the government since I would be part time.

    Would it be dumb to take a student loan out for about $9,000, to pay my bills while I take these 2 elective classes and put the rest of my time-effort into catching back up?

    I could just work full time and be school part time. But I really have a desire to be 100% in the books making sure I succeed.

    submitted by /u/Mandar221
    [link] [comments]

    Navient Automatically Placed Student Loan on Forbearance Based on Nearby Disaster

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 01:33 PM PDT

    Has this happened to anyone in California due to the fires? The State of California filed a lawsuit against Navient for their student loan practices.

    submitted by /u/bittonlaw
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for advice..Accepted to Grad School. Federal Loans will only cover tuition. Need to take out loans for living expenses.

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 06:03 AM PDT

    1. The grad program is Full time for 2 years. Once I graduate the avg salary in NYC (where I plan on working) is roughly 130,000 (probably more and not including almost guaranteed overtime). Part time work is highly discouraged. There is no option to spread out the classes over a longer period of time.
    2. I've already exhausted the max amount of federal aid/loans and it will cover my tuition with just a few thousand left over. So, I will need to take out loans for living expenses...
    3. The main reason I will need to exercise the option to take out private loans for living expenses is because I am in a pretty serious relationship. My girlfriend and I have been together for a few years and living together for over a year. Where we live now, her commute is already 1.5 hours and moving any closer to my school would make it even longer for her. Right now my commute would also come to 1.5 hours. She is a nurse and works 12 hour shifts so i feel bad making her move any further away from work than I already have.
    4. We live in Long Island City NY which is a pretty expensive area especially since I need to be as close to public transportation as possible.
    5. Icing on the cake... I have 16k in credit card debt. Is there any scenario in which taking out private loans to get rid of this debt and future interest accruals would be advisable?
    6. Living with my parents is an option since they are very close to the school but this would limit the time I get to spend with my girlfriend to almost nothing.

    Just looking for some fresh perspectives on the situation. I appreciate all responses. Feel free to ask questions If I left any any important information.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/ryncra1g
    [link] [comments]

    More dumb questions about parent PLUS loan

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 11:21 AM PDT

    So credit was approved, completed the MPN, what do I do now? I saw on the fafsa website that the interest rate for between 10/1/19 and 10/1/20 is 4.248%, is that what mine will be? I'm just very confused about the whole process and I don't understand what I'm supposed to do now.

    submitted by /u/oliviaj1020
    [link] [comments]

    When I'm taking out a loan can I put my current employment status even if I'm not going to be at this job while I'm in college?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 01:42 PM PDT

    I'm making an annual salary of about $60k right now as an intern so I figure that reporting my current job would help me get a lower interest rate. I just don't know if I'm allowed to do this legally speaking.

    submitted by /u/shoshy566
    [link] [comments]

    Should I take out private student loans?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 01:38 PM PDT

    Hi, this is my first post here. Sorry in advance about length. Here's my situation: It's always been my dream to be a nurse. A few years ago during undergrad I applied to my school's BSN program 3x and got denied. I kinda gave up on my dream and changed my major to Healthcare Management and graduated in 2017. So after 2 years of feeling lost in the world, I randomly decided to apply to an ADN program at a community college near me and I got accepted! I'm so happy i'm finally getting a chance to pursue my dream! But... I have to quit my job since the class/clinicals are during the majority of our business hours. I was really concerned at first because I have rent/bills/car note. One of my nurse friends suggested that I just take out a little more in student loans to pay rent and use my part time job to pay bills/car note. I thought it was a great idea since she also recommended not having a full time job during nursing school so I would have time to study as well. However, just found out this morning that the school does NOT accept federal student loans. They only accept grant money or scholarships but do offer a monthly payment plan. I was considering finding another full time job to make the payments but I still have to pay rent/car note/bills. There's no way I'd be able to work enough to pay all of that plus $400 tuition monthly, go to class/clinicals, and have time left to study. I figured my next option would be private student loans for tuition/rent and using my part time job to pay bills/car. I know nothing about private student loans. I already owe $40,000 in federal loans from my bachelors degree. Is this a good idea?? Or should I just put off my dream AGAIN? Any advice is appreciated... I'm not excited about taking out private loans but it seems like my only option.

    submitted by /u/futurenurse12
    [link] [comments]

    Federal loans

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 01:10 PM PDT

    My previous post: https://www.reddit.com/r/StudentLoans/comments/cb624t/private_loans_for_school_and_other_options/

    I posted like yesterday for help. Things are getting better, or I have ideas that might actually work. Question though: is it possible to decline a federal loan that I've accepted? Just looked at some of my finances and realized I didn't need to take one of my federal loans since, well it's unnecessary, I'd just have an extra 1000$ which is the loan, but with interest

    submitted by /u/BnJova
    [link] [comments]

    Making payments while in forbearance

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 12:52 PM PDT

    I'm having a difficult time finding a clear answer about this so any help would be appreciated.

    My wife currently has her student loan in forbearance. If we were to start making payments on the loan, potentially a substantial lump sum, what happens?

    Do payments made during forbearance go directly to interest? Do payments made during forbearance go completely to principle? Is the interest that is accruing and will be added at the end of forbearance based on today's principle or the principle at the end of forbearance?

    Are we better off bringing the loan out of forbearance and making the payment? What're the best options here?

    submitted by /u/Ryane39
    [link] [comments]

    Student loan advices needed

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 03:52 AM PDT

    I want advice on which company I should refinance my student loans with and which company will be the most fair. It's difficult finding a "good" company that's easy to get approved with. Please and thank you for the help

    submitted by /u/bethrada
    [link] [comments]

    No income as independent.

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 09:04 AM PDT

    I was using the estimate tool on FAFSA website and I got named as independent because I have a kid. However, I've never worked or filed taxes, my parents support me and my kid. Will this be an issue when I fill out the actual fafsa form? I mean, because I don't have any income. And how accurate is this tool? It said I could get $6100 but the COA of the college I plan to attend is 15k :(. I'm new to the US so I don't know much about this, is there any way I could get more money from it? Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/andamx
    [link] [comments]

    Owing money to previous school

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 09:02 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I have been dealing with the process of owing $3740 back to a college I was previously at for unofficially withdrawing from. I have a PT job and accepted to another university. I am dealing with a debt collector and I am needing to pay it off fully before receiving my old transcripts. Only problem is, i don't have $3,740 and I make that in maybe 3 months.

    What should i do?

    Lowest payments per month are higher then I can afford. Can't get a personal loan by myself.

    Has anyone been through this before? Anywhere I can look to possible get a loan? Could I take out a federal loan?

    submitted by /u/ccwhitt
    [link] [comments]

    Best time to apply for IBR during grace period?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 04:21 AM PDT

    Spring grad here. I'm going back to meet education credentials for licensure in the fall and will not be earning $ until approx a year from now.. I'm currently in the grace period until November.

    When is the best time to apply for IBR?

    Husband has been on IBR for several years now.

    submitted by /u/1dumho
    [link] [comments]

    Keep paying on deferred status?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 06:36 AM PDT

    My loans were recently automatically put on deferred status since I'm getting my masters degree. Are there any downsides to this? They are unsubsidized so interest will continue to accrue. I have no problem paying them right now and was curious what the best way to continue paying them would be. Do I just pay the interest each month on each loan and then put any extra that I have left with my current payment amounts on the highest interest loan? I also will be eligible for the $17.5k teacher loan forgiveness program in 3 years so that's making my situation a little more complicated..

    Anyways, I guess my question is what's the best way to pay my loans while in deferred status? Or should I remove the deferred status?

    NOTE - My current loan balance is $30k

    submitted by /u/dmcadidas15
    [link] [comments]

    New loans, with old ones unpaid?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 05:39 AM PDT

    I know this sounds bad, but I have loans already that I have not paid, and have not finished school. Can I go back to school and get new loans? I ask, because one school denied me, but a couple others have not mentioned anything about it. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/italian-rapscallion
    [link] [comments]

    Grad School Loan Advice

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 05:30 AM PDT

    I was hoping for some help with a loan decision for Grad School. I am going into a 1.5 year program and it looks like I'll need a loan to cover some of my costs. In applying to loans many ask for a cosigner. I've asked my parents if they could cosign, but one cannot because of bad credit, and the other doesnt want to. I will probably make less than $20,000 this year, the cutoff I've been told for many loans to consider you without a cosigner. I've found one lender which has a noncosigner option built in, Ascent. Being newer to borrowing, I only have mediocre credit and I've been told they do a hard credit check; I'd like to avoid a situation where they check my credit, it doesn't get approved, but my score goes down because of the check. Do I have other options?

    submitted by /u/SeekerMythic
    [link] [comments]

    Parent took out student loan for full tuition, only half paid to school, rest refunded to them - is this legal?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 07:38 PM PDT

    I'm about start my sophomore year in college. My parents were never married and are not together. Both have always said they would each cover 50% of my college tuition. For my freshman year my dad was able to put together 50% of my tuition while my mom applied for and received a parent plus loan. The loan was approved for the full amount of my tuition which my mom accepted, but since my dad paid 50% she ultimately got a refund check for almost $20k since the loan was for the full tuition. I know the loans are in her name so I'm ultimately not responsible for them, but doesn't this seem like it shouldn't be allowed? She's basically getting a personal loan on top of a student loan. Especially with all the talk from politicians about student loan forgiveness, doesn't this seem like a huge loophole?

    submitted by /u/Addie282
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment