• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 4, 2019

    Personal Finance My bank has not yet deducted my rent payment from my account. It has been nearly 2 weeks and my apartment complex says they've been paid in full.

    Personal Finance My bank has not yet deducted my rent payment from my account. It has been nearly 2 weeks and my apartment complex says they've been paid in full.


    My bank has not yet deducted my rent payment from my account. It has been nearly 2 weeks and my apartment complex says they've been paid in full.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 06:55 PM PDT

    Hello. So every month I move around $1,000 into my account and pay my rent using my apartment complex's online portal. I pay directly from the account and my understanding is that this is treated as a digital check. The apartment complex accepts payment immediately and clears my balance, and the bank itself typically takes 3 days to deduct that payment from the account.

    This past month, the bank just didn't take the money out. It's still sitting in the account I used to pay. The apartment complex confirms that I'm paid in full, and I paid a bit early last month so it's been nearly 2 weeks now since I've paid.

    I can't imagine the bank would make this kind of mistake (it's one of the bigger banks in the US), but they've never taken anywhere near this long to collect the money after my payments.

    Guess I'm just wondering if this is something I should be concerned about. I plan on leaving the money in there until the end of the month at minimum just to cover myself in case they deduct it. But if they don't, am I clear to assume that it's still 'my' money or do I have anything to worry about?

    submitted by /u/OrphanScript
    [link] [comments]

    IRS owes us money but takes forever to respond to correspondence

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 06:23 PM PDT

    We had an error in our 2014 tax return that showed a family member was on a health exchange health plan when they weren't. Because of that error our refund was $3000 less than what it should have been. Filed a corrected 1040 that was accepted. However IRS didn't refund us the extra $3000 back. We have called and they accepted it was an error. We write to them and they say they are working on it and will get back to us in 45 days. However months go by and we hear nothing. I'm tired of writing to them and calling them only to have to wait 3 hours to talk to somebody. What are our options?

    submitted by /u/livesfortrails
    [link] [comments]

    I am able to do travel nursing for a significant amount of money. Should I do it full-time?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 06:03 PM PDT

    I am in a position to do travel nursing and double my income whilst also reducing my taxable amount. Should I take this opportunity to work my ass off for a few years and pay off my mortgage?

    Also I'm not yet fully vested I to my 401k. Next year will be my 5 year mark and I will be fully vested.

    submitted by /u/DomStud
    [link] [comments]

    Grew up dirt poor and suddenly making a lot

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 03:20 PM PDT

    Hi all, posting this under a throwaway as I do not want friends to know of my financial situation. I grew up very poor in a very nice area (my parents put everything they had into me and my education; at over 50 years of age they are still barely scraping by paycheck to paycheck). I am sure they have debt, though they refuse to talk to me about it since they do not want to burden me, despite the fact that I am fairly sure I am making more money than they have made their entire lives. Their dream has always been for me to live better than them, and it has panned out to some degree as I got a full ride to a fantastic university and landed an amazing job right after. One thing I have noticed, however, is that everyone around me comes from a far better background than I do, and often mention off handedly that their parents recommend that they invest their money a certain way or to budget a certain way. My parents, unfortunately, are not financially literate so I do not have the same support. I was really hoping the community here could give me some pointers as I am completely lost. I graduated from college two years ago and currently make $220k a year, usually with some additional $30-50k discretionary bonus at the end. I expect this number to step up so that my total compensation will be roughly $350k a year next year. I have roughly $200k in a plain bank savings account right now. My only recurring expenses are rent of $2k/month and a family spotify account I share with my brother. I read some online material about budgeting but I think I don't need to worry about that as I do not spend that much on a discretionary basis and I am not interested in saving $6 a day by cutting out coffee. My ultimate goals are to buy a house somewhere at some point, likely on the other side of the country as I do not see myself living in this city for the rest of my life, set up some sort of system so that my parents will no longer need to work (I view my money more as family money than my own, as everything I am has been a result of grueling work on their end), buy them a house in a nicer neighborhood in the same area they are living in now (median home price is just over 1 million), and pay for my brother to go to college in two years. Academically, he is not as strong as I was but he has his sights set on a fairly pricey private university (think housing plus tuition all together would cost around $75k without any sort of aid, which would be a worst case scenario). I have no idea how to plan for this, especially not knowing how much debt my parents are in as they still see me as a child, and constantly tell me that I should work less and enjoy myself more. I know I have incredibly lofty goals but I really just want my family to live more comfortably, though they have never asked anything of me. I believe that I have the means to achieve all this but I really don't know where to start, and even less to propose some sort of sensible "allowance" system for my parents so that they can retire from their blue collar jobs and live comfortably. Thank you so much for reading and would appreciate any advice.

    submitted by /u/qxjfonhq
    [link] [comments]

    About to turn 26, have over 17k in credit card debt, need advice in handling my finances.

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 09:58 PM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    I'm about to turn 26 in the end of the month, and have been struggling with credit card debt for 2 years now, mostly helping family out, didn't expect interest to hit me this hard.

    Last February I had to quit my high paying job due to health reasons, and ended up traveling around the US searching for a new place to call home, its been 4 months now, with money still in my savings account I moved in with my sister who is okay with me staying over, just to save more money.

    Now I don't pay rent, I never order take out, with two warehouse jobs right now, and my credit score just went below 600.

    I need advice in how to increase my credit score quickly, and if a personal loan is a good idea, I have until early September to go somewhere else, I can't stay here longer than 2 months.

    Any response is appreciated, I should apologize in advance if i don't reply quickly.

    Thank you

    ****EDIT

    Thank you for the advice everybody,

    I'm editing this post to remind some redditors that I made this post for advice, I needed to know what are the options, whats the best way to tackle my current situation. that's all.

    I'm aware that poor choices were made, I didn't spend money on meaningless material things, family members were stuck in a situation that I believed at the time I should lend a helping hand.

    I'm not here to read that I should cut out my family, and that I'm stupid and irresponsible, I should learn how to spend money first. I should quit vices like smoking or drinking. (I don't drink or smoke)

    The road trip wasn't planned, after quitting my job, I had nowhere to be, I just got in my car and drove.

    For all of you in the same situation I wish you the best of luck, there is a lot of great advice shared in these comments.

    I know its hard but we are all gonna get through it.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/V0lk6
    [link] [comments]

    A relator told me the inspector I used was too nitpicky after I backed out of buying a house based on the report.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 07:03 PM PDT

    First time home buyer here, and recently backed out from buying a house because of the inspector's report. The inspector I used was the guy with the best reviews on a google search, all the people on a list my relator gave me were all booked solid for well over a week.

    So the inspector does his inspection and there was a multitude of expensive fixes that needed to be done, and more than I wanted to take on as a first time home buyer. Honestly I really liked how thorough and no nonsense the inspector was, thought that was what inspectors were supposed to do.

    So I am back at the house hunt, and I ask the realtor (a fill in because my relator is out of town until Saturday) if I could see a house that just came on the market (shopping in the range of 120-150k and houses are moving fast). So I get to the house before my relator and noticed that paint was chipping really bad under the roof, the detached garage had rotten boards, and see that the house probably wouldn't work either.

    The stand in realtor shows up and agrees with me that the home probably wouldn't meet the requirements for a Hope/FHA loan, even though the sheet says FHA loans were okay. We do not even go inside the house.

    However I asked her a few questions about what to look for in pictures, or finding these obvious things out first so I do not waste anybody's time. Well one thing led to another and we got onto the subject of the inspector I used on the house I liked, and she said from what my realtor told her the person I used was just too nitpicky and likened him to another inspector realtors call the "deal breaker".

    Honestly I do not know quite what to think about the conversation. I mean I should want an inspector who does a good job, but the way this relator made it sound that I would never get a Hope/FHA loan approves with an inspector like that.

    Shouldn't I want an inspector who will be thorough at his job? I mean the appraiser will just come out later and could note those same problems, and then I am out more money than just the inspection.

    So what is sub's experiences with home inspections?

    submitted by /u/Deadspyder88
    [link] [comments]

    I think a bad college choice may have destroyed my chances of achieving my dream. Any advice is welcome

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 02:32 PM PDT

    This is a bit of a long story. I chose an out-of-state college because none of my state colleges had my intended major, linguistics. And, looking back on it, I was also following what my friends were doing and going to an out of state college. The state I went to for college is very far away and has a climate that I have now learned makes me depressed the majority of the time that I am there. Also while taking my linguistics classes there I began to realize that I did not really like linguistics that much (and, looking back, certainly not enough to warrant losing my in-state college scholarships). However, I learned that I am really passionate about teaching English as a foreign language and hope to do that after college for a couple years, save up some money, and use that to travel the world before I head back to the United States.

    The problem is that I am terrified that debt will hold me back from teaching English and traveling the world afterwards. I have finished my first year at the out-of-state college and despite having a really good scholarship am $6500 in debt because of a school and a major that I don't really like that much. I am considering transferring. The problem is, though, that if I rush the linguistics major next year it is possible for me to graduate with only 2 years in college. This is a feasible plan but the thought of going back to that school scares me. I would not go back if I had to stay for much longer. Also linguistics isn't the most marketable major and you don't even need a linguistics major to teach abroad.

    My other choices are to go to one of my state colleges. My choices are a large state college that seems pretty good for my intended major (Global Studies) and costs more than the college I am transferring out of. I will probably be there for 2-3 more years. The other in state option is a smaller school that doesn't have as much opportunities for my intended major but is within driving distance from my parents' house and I would not have to pay for housing. Transferring also gives me to try out other fields that interest me like CS and Architecture.

    I am very scared and anxious about this decision. It keeps me up all night and I know that making a decision and sticking to it will be best but I am the worst at making decisions. I can't even order off of menus without taking a long time. If anyone has any insight or thinks teaching abroad is feasible for me, I would love to hear.

    submitted by /u/Esani
    [link] [comments]

    My mother, sister and now father depend on me. I feel like I'll be stuck financially where I am forever.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 04:11 PM PDT

    My(25M) monthly income after taxes is $6000, I live in WA USA. Rent is $1800, car and insurance $500, food and groceries $500, monthly memberships $100. Im also building an emergency fund and deposit $500 monthly.

    I send my mother and sister $1300 for her monthly income, she can't maintain herself and she divorced my dad. Above that my dad does not work and doesn't have much experience, spent most of his money gambling and got our family in a hole and thankfully I managed to get us out. Currently his family is judging me that I don't send him money, he barely has anything. I feel guilty even though he deserves it but he is my dad. He already put a big responsibility upon my shoulders. That said I started sending him $500 monthly as well..

    I can't declare them as dependents because I am not a US citizen and they don't live in a country where they are eligible.

    My plan is to grow and invest in an index fund until the point where it can generate income to take care of them. Although it would be a few years.

    My other plan is to get my dad some mindless online job that he can work from anywhere and even if he makes $20 a day that's something. Although I'm not sure where to get that from.

    I want to be able to save and invest and buy a house but it will take a really long time. Also the stress of taking care of a family is very hard, if I lose my job I'll have to keep them afloat and that freaks me out.

    Anyone here in my situation or got any advice how on how to get some of this stress off or get my family involved somehow? Or improve my finances?

    submitted by /u/DragonHatNerfGun
    [link] [comments]

    Parents are in debt, My father's mechanic shop brings in no money and my mom is currently in school.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 01:03 PM PDT

    Throwaway because yeah.

    I'm a 16 year old who lives in British Columbia, Canada, my parents are both working full time but they have loads of debt (I don't know the exact amount.) My mom works full time as an LPN nurse and she's studying to become an RN.

    My dad works in a mechanic shop but all the money he makes go right back into rent and maintenance very rarely he brings $300-$1000 home. He can't sit around and not work so he just goes there. He was recently injured and has ongoing dental problems. Dental alone is costing thousands for a fix and his therapy on top of that. He has multiple bank accounts. SO many that he can't remember which one's he has open and he keeps on taking out loans for his shop.

    My mom recently had an injury but she recovered and is working 12 hour shifts constantly just to keep us afloat. She's studying on top of that. Each course is costing her about $1000 or more. She finished 3 years and she has 1-2 years left.

    I made this post because we just got a call from a debt collecting company saying we owe $2,640 to another bank and at this point we just need help. I can give more information if needed

    submitted by /u/NoBoot5
    [link] [comments]

    Mom opened up credit cards in my name- at LEAST $5k used (21 yrs old)

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 07:35 PM PDT

    So for the past few years my mom has had credit cards opened in my name. She said it was to build credit and I never really questioned it (except one time where I asked her about a piece of mail addressed to me saying that a request to increase a credit card balance was declined. She started yelling) but I recently have been second guessing a lot of what she says.

    I went on credit karma and looked at my credit report and saw that as of right now there are 4 accounts open in my name:

    Amazon (Responsibility: Individual)- $2,023/$2,100 Navy Fed (Responsibility: Authorized User)- $1,942/$2,000 Capital One (Responsibility: Authorized User)- $843/$850 JPMCB Card (Responsibility: Individual)- $839/$1,200

    From what I read on this sub, I would be able to take myself off as an authorized user from the Navy Fed and Capital One accounts pretty easily. What would happen if I did? would it affect my credit or hers?

    I'm really worried about the Amazon and JPMCB cards. My mom is a hoarder and has a problem when it comes to buying things online and I guess she's been using that Amazon card to buy a bunch of useless shit (our basement is full of them). I'm a college student and have been living at home this past year, and have noticed that she hasn't been having as much delivered to our house as she used to. Still, I'll be moving across the state next month and don't want to have to worry about this. I didn't even know what JPMCB stood for until I googled it, and I have no idea what she's been using that for.

    I also know that the electricity bill is under my name, but I'm not sure how that affects me.

    I'm almost done with college and want to start off my adult life on the wrong foot, but I feel seriously overwhelmed when I think about this.

    Am I liable to pay off these debts or would I be able to close all of the accounts? I'm living at home until next month so I'm not sure what kind of affect that would have on our already strained relationship but I don't want to be cleaning up her mess in the future.

    submitted by /u/romdotcom
    [link] [comments]

    About to go homeless, what do I do?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 02:57 PM PDT

    So, I've been jobless since early June, and I don't have the money for my side of the rent for this month. I'm trying to sell a bunch of stuff to build up money, but the way things are going, I'm not going to have it by the time i need it. I've been putting applications and resumes left and right, but no luck on finding a job. I don't really know if I got friends to let me stay till I get on my feet. I'm in college but if I can't get this money I'm going to have to drop out as I wont have internet to do my school work. Any advice?

    Update: holy crap did not expect this much advice, I appreciate every bit of it. I just signed up for door dash and I should receive a kit soon, I'm going to sign up for rover and wag as well. Thank you guys so much, I will update you guys on the situation as it progresses

    submitted by /u/GeneralAwesome2
    [link] [comments]

    Personal savings were invested into stock which I sold a few years back. IRS wants $7,000.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 09:31 AM PDT

    So this starts around 2004 where my mom bought stocks in her company using my savings up until 2009. The total that was invested into those stocks was about $15,000. About 5 years ago the company went public. I sold my stocks for $32,000. I was a bit concerned with filing taxes and asked my mom if I needed to file anything. She's usually on top of things like this and treated my question like it was absurd. This is where I fucked up. I didn't file any thing regarding the money that year and now I have the IRS asking for their share equal to $7,500.

    Am I beyond fucked? Or is this something that can be resolved. I'm going to be calling a CPA tomorrow to see what can be done. I was just looking to post here to see if there's any option of how to deal with this(like if CPA costs + having to pay for damages). I appreciate any comments & I understand if I have to pay taxes for being a moron.

    submitted by /u/MoronTaxThrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    What am I missing? Pulling money out of ESPP immediately, even with "6 month hold" stipulation.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 04:59 PM PDT

    My co worker had the idea to put the entirety of his paycheck in to the employee stock purchase plan and then immediately withdraw it to be up 15%. He had already initiated the contributions before I found the line in the ESPP document that says you must hold the stock 6 months before selling. Before I found this statement, I was convinced enough to test the waters and pull $25/paycheck out. Where my confusion comes in, is we were both able to remove our contributions + 15% - trade fees. My $50 contribution landed in my bank account as $57 something after the fee (it also went up a percent or so in the day it was sitting around). Is this going to come back to bite me (us) in the butt in the future somehow if I (we) continue? What am I missing? Why was I able to sell?

    Thanks in advance. Let me know if this fits better in /r/investing.

    submitted by /u/justathrowawaii
    [link] [comments]

    Just started a good paying job at 30

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 03:38 PM PDT

    Hey everyone! From 2009 to 2015 I was in the film industry and wasn't making enough. Took a low paying job and did 4 years in college in my mid twenties. Graduated this past May and suddenly making $56,000 per year which means I have enough to seriously start planning for retirement.

    I have options to a Roth 401k and a Traditional 401k. Not sure which to do or maybe do both?

    I currently have around $12,000 saved up in my bank account. Figured I would ask and see what some opinions are with my choosing one over the other or both.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/MandolorianWookie89
    [link] [comments]

    Home equity question

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 02:34 PM PDT

    My husband and I are looking to sell our house which is valued at 400k and we owe 150k on. At the same time we want to buy a new house for around 600k. My husband says that even though we can take the 250k left from selling our current home (or a portion thereof) and use it as a down payment on the new home, we will end up having zero equity because we'll be starting a new mortgage. I told him that's wrong, and home equity is the difference between what the house is worth and how much you owe on it. Who's right?

    submitted by /u/BigBrothersBrother
    [link] [comments]

    advice for first CC in sensitive family situation?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 07:19 PM PDT

    I recently turned 18, and will need a credit card for various college expenses. I don't have any credit history afaik, no income either. My father has a good credit score, and he's willing to cosign for my first credit card.

    Thing is, I'm worried about cosigning because I may get disowned by my parents if/when I come out to them in the future and the many posts warning against cosigning on this subreddit. I want any of my financial stuff to be as easy to separate from them as possible to prepare for that.

    Would my best option in this situation be to sign up for a secured credit card? Or should I ask my father to add me as an authorized user instead? Ideally, I'd like to start building up credit history independent of my parents so that rules out being an authorized user, correct?

    Thank you for your advice, and sorry for any errors!

    submitted by /u/rosesync
    [link] [comments]

    Yubico Key for protection

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 07:06 PM PDT

    Does anyone use Yubico key for account protection? I'm reading about SIM Swap Fraud and was just wondering how others are protecting themselves.

    submitted by /u/bsoneill
    [link] [comments]

    I bought a house off of my stepdad and the profit he made wasn’t actually a profit - it was done so I could do repairs. Basically, the money is in my hands and taxes are hard.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 07:41 PM PDT

    I bought a house off of my stepdad. The payoff on his mortgage was about $42k. As part of the sale, I brought no cash to the table thanks to a gift of equity for my down payment plus seller assistance on closing costs.

    Basically, we set a sale price of $88k - $70k financed on my end, and the rest went to down payment. I financed extra because of closing costs, and I wanted some extra money to do some necessary work, like new furnace, AC, and taking care of a rain water pooling at foundation problem. So when my stepdad got the check from the sale, he cashed it and then wrote one to me for the same amount, minus money for a furnace.

    My research on gift of equity and taxes has been pretty fruitful, so I think I'm set on that part.

    What I can't find info on is the exchange of that income from the sale. We would like to avoid him having to pay taxes on it since he never really made a profit off of the sale. Is there any chance of managing that?

    Could that portion be considered a gift?

    If so, follow up: The gift of equity is over the annual amount, but the check was below. Could the combined amount be considered a gift from my mom and stepdad below the $30k limit to avoid the form on their end?

    I know when it comes to gifts, the tax burden is on the gifter. However, is there anything I should be prepared for on the receiving end?

    Thanks for reading and for any advice or links you can send my way.

    submitted by /u/kimbylouwho
    [link] [comments]

    Don’t have enough to pay my rent, should I let myself get evicted or terminate the lease?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 04:26 PM PDT

    Hi there, I don't know if this is the right subreddit for this, so please let me know and I'll post it somewhere more appropriate. But I just need some advice on how to proceed.

    So I've been living in my apartment in Texas for about 7 months. It's a great community and I love it. But it's expensive. I was able to afford it at the beginning of my lease, but some things have come up that have left me scrambling to pay my rent the past couple of months. Last month, I was five days late on rent, so there's the late fees for that, which I haven't paid because I'm unable to, and now I'm late on this month's rent which I don't even have enough for the base amount due, let alone the fees. Nobody has contacted me about eviction in any way whatsoever, but I'm just waiting for it to come any day now. I don't know the laws or process when it comes to how eviction works, I've never had to deal with it because I've always been pretty good about paying everything on time. But this year has been different. I've had to sell some of my stuff to make rent and I did not like that. But that's beside the point. I know that I have the option to terminate my lease at any time without any repercussions. It won't go on my credit report and won't affect me in the future when I try to rent/buy. But I will have to give a 60 day notice and also pay ~$2200 within 3 days of moving out. The thing is, I don't know if I'd be able to pay that amount within that time frame. Maybe most of it, but definitely not all of it.

    I don't know what to do about this, any advice would be appreciated.

    Tl;dr - scared about getting evicted; should I let it happen, or beat them to the punch and terminate my lease at the risk of not being able to pay the fees in full within 30 days?

    Thank you to everyone who has responded to my post about this. I appreciate all of the feedback. I feel better knowing my next step and will go ahead and terminate my lease early so I avoid getting evicted.

    Edit: formatting and stuff

    submitted by /u/DeterDarker
    [link] [comments]

    CD vs High yield Savings account?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 08:17 PM PDT

    Currently saving to buy a house in 1-2 years and I'd like to know what would be the better option, and why. Any bank or specific account recommendations would also be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/naab8116
    [link] [comments]

    I'm 25 and have some medical old medical bills, but I'm confused if I have to pay them or if i's my insurance companies job

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 12:14 PM PDT

    So I work at a job that sucks and doesn't pay me enough and TLDR is

    I have medical bills from back when I had insurance through my parents, but I received bills saying the needed info on my insurance despite giving them the insurance card w/all the info on it and that coverage has ended. So am I responsible for the full bill or because I had coverage when I went to the doctor's, is it still that insurance companies job to pay it?

    submitted by /u/The_Nich_King
    [link] [comments]

    First time making a real budget and debt payment plan

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 06:16 PM PDT

    It has taken me a few years to climb in my career to a point where I can actually make a plan for my financial life beyond "pay everything on time and pray for no surprises".

    My goal is to aggressively attack my credit card debt while saving some money and enjoying a modest social life.

    Here is a spreadsheet of my financial situation: https://imgur.com/a/adUB9NO

    I am very concerned about my $500 monthly food and fun allotment and being able to stick to that but will try my hardest.

    I have to purchase a vehicle next week. I have budgeted up to $300 per month for an auto loan and am willing to put up to $2000 down on the vehicle. I am giving myself a firm $20,000 out the door price limit and ideally want that number closer to $15,000. I expect my APR to be between 4%-6% with my credit score of 708.

    Assuming that I do put down the $2,000, then I have $4700 cash in my bank account. I am considering putting all of that towards my Discover Card.

    Credit Debt Plan:

    My debt plan is to avalanche my debt, starting with my Discover Card. After the car purchase I plan to transfer my Discover card balance to a 0% introductory rate card. Given my experience with this in the past I don't believe I will be approved to transfer the full balance. So whatever is left over I plan to pay off immediately. Then do the same on the Capital One card in October, and again with the Citi Card in February 2020. As long as those cards are at 0% I am comfortable paying the minimum monthly and putting money towards my next highest interest rate, which in this case would be the 6.5% from one of my student loans.

    Is this a good plan?

    Savings Plan:

    I have an HSA with my new employer where they contribute $3000 at the beginning of every calendar year without me having to contribute anything. I don't plan to contribute anything additional for the first year or two, even though I know there are tax incentives. I think that money is better off being spent on attacking my credit debt first. I am in good health and don't have any recurring medical expenses.

    Thoughts?

    I will be eligible to start on the 401K plan at the beginning of 2021. The company contributes 10% of your base salary every year, without requiring you to contribute anything. However I would like to be in a position by that time to contribute.

    I plan to squirrel away 10% of each paycheck into an account for emergencies and vacations and those types of things.

    Is this a good looking plan? Would you do anything different? Did I miss any details? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/redditmoneyadvice
    [link] [comments]

    Need help.. I’m lost in debt and very young.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 02:23 PM PDT

    I am 20 years old, almost 21. I had a daughter at 17 and since then, the mother and I split up, bills for her have piled up, and I can't get it under control. Below are my bills to date.

    $900 - Lawyer #1

    $1,400 - Credit Card

    $3,700 - Lawyer #2

    $10,000 - Personal loan from dad (not the most important, he said pay it back before he dies)

    $350 - 2 months of child support

    $16,350 - TOTAL

    Here's the catch, my girlfriend and I had to move back into her parents house because I lost my job. It was an "at will" job and I lost it without notice or reason. I filed for unemployment and will be getting $220 a week. But only until it gets to $2,500 total. Finding a job is very difficult where I live, along with a major injury I got while at the doctors office, that may require surgery, I really can't do the job I've been doing most of my life (Warehouse). I'm on my last leg and I feel like the laziest asshole for getting on unemployment, but I had to do what I had to do to provide.

    I live in IA, if that makes any difference or helps with support. Thank you all who reply.

    submitted by /u/fourbears7
    [link] [comments]

    Older ex- US army man falling in love for my mother in law online. Can this be a scam?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 01:55 PM PDT

    Hi guys! Not sure if this is the right forum, but I have a feeling this miiight be some sort of a scam, but not sure.

    Ok, background - my mother-in-law is a single, just turned 60 year old lady in a Baltic country (Eastern Europe). She has two grown-up children (including my wife) and a medium-sized house and shared garden with her son. Income is ok for sustaining herself, maybe little savings, but nothing significant. She has been single for the past 10 years or so.

    Now, the story develops over the past two weeks (we found out about it a week ago). Apparently there is this US Army officer/doctor (don't have the exact details on all of this but please bear with me), who is on his last mission before going into retirement, he is 62. So somehow he has found my MIL online (Facebook) and they are exchanging long messages and chats all day. His background is that he had a wife and kid from our country, who passed away in a car crash some years ago, so he is seeking for someone to 'age beautifully' with, but from the same country.

    Apparently the messages are very passionate, he is already speaking of moving to our country after his mission ends and moving in together with her. The latest info is that he's asking her to go to Asia with him (they haven't met yet). However, we stressed that they need to meet here first. They are conversing in English and she is extremely happy that she has found someone. But all this seems very odd to me.

    Another weird point is that even though they started speaking on Facebook, he said that due to army rules he can't use it a lot and asked to move the convo to 'hangout', which I think is a dating app.

    All this seems very strange and a 'dream come true' for a 60 year old. However, I can't really come up with a scam strategy... is this one / has anyone seen anything like it or should we just see how it develops first?

    I'll try to answer any questions to clarify anything as well, but working on pretty scarce info

    submitted by /u/bottle_destroyer
    [link] [comments]

    Ready to handle debt, but afraid to take the first step.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 08:16 AM PDT

    To cut a possibly hours-long story down to a few sentences, a few years ago, a family member opened an account under my name with Fingerhut. I was a minor at the time, and didn't know that this decision could ruin my future.

    After she failed to make payments, the debt was, if course, sold to a collections company; that being LVNV Funding. It's sat there for a good 3 years now, while I get my life together in the background.

    I'm now ready to begin making payments for my mistake, as the debt is a mere $200. A lot for someone like me; but if tackled in pieces, I can pull it off.

    I almost called them this morning, after hearing absolutely nothing from them since this account was opened. After some research, though, it seems this company is unafraid to get their hands dirty.

    I'm terrified of the idea of getting summoned to court for trying to call them and get it smoothed over, and I'm equally afraid of working with a "debt consolidation" firm.

    Why can't it be as easy as "I can give you $50 every two weeks, let's knock this out."?

    I just want this over and done, so I can make moves toward improving my credit score, and thus, eventual home ownership.

    I only want advice. If I get downvoted into oblivion, that's fine...

    submitted by /u/Mircat9000
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment