• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 2, 2019

    Personal Finance I received an accidental mail with all salaries for everyone in the company

    Personal Finance I received an accidental mail with all salaries for everyone in the company


    I received an accidental mail with all salaries for everyone in the company

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 08:23 AM PDT

    Hey first time posting here. Hope this post will be ok.

    This is problematic in regards to personal information discretion, but my issue is:

    I realized I'm being significantly underpaid in comparison to others who do the same work as me.

    I feel frustrated and upset about that fact. Not sure how to approach from here.

    How would you approach the situation?

    submitted by /u/ekampp
    [link] [comments]

    I am 23 and have 40k in student loan debt. Should I sacrifice my ability to live independently and close to my job in order to pay it off in a third of the time?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 09:02 AM PDT

    I graduated college last year with about 80k in cumulative debt between financial aid and private loans. My entire life, my dad told me he'd pay for my college, but unfortunately during my sophomore year of school he was laid off from his job of 25 years and needed to use most of his savings and liquid cash for our family. We basically came to an agreement that we'd take out loans and split the balance. I think I'm at approximately 35k now after paying $450 each month since I entered repayment on the loans. The average interest rate is like 6.5%, and I'm in a 10 year repayment plan.

    I also work in the city, approximately 1:15-1:30 by train away from my house. I'm currently making 65k/year and renting an apartment thats ~20 min walk from work for ~$900/month including all utilities. My lease is about to be up and one of my roommates is moving out, so my rent will go up to $1200/month. Honestly, I can easily afford it, but I was doing the math and realized that if I move back home, I can use that money as a loan payment each month and be done with my loans in 3 years, saving myself ~$10k.

    I've been living in this apartment for about 5 months now (short term lease) and I was commuting to work from my house for the first half of my first year at work; it sucked SO MUCH. I was waking up at 5am to make it in to work by 7:30am, there were never any seats on the train due to the high volume of commuters, and I'd have to transfer trains 3 to 4 times. I'd come home late and exhausted and I would never be getting enough sleep, which led to both my work and social life suffering a little. Not to mention the cost of the train tickets was about $400/month and it's gone up since I moved.

    Living so close to work means I get those 3 hours of my life sitting on the train everyday back, which is huge to me. It also means I don't have to live with my parents, which was a really tough adjustment after a great 4 years of college with awesome roommates. However, being able to pay off my student loans in such a short amount of time (about 2-3 years) and using that freedom to travel and do whatever I want is also a big deal. Does it make a lot of financial sense to make this tradeoff?

    Edit: Wow thanks for the helpful suggestions guys! To answer a few questions

    1. My rent is actually $2400 split b/w 3 people. It's a NYC apartment so this actually considered cheap here. One roommate is moving out, the other is renewing and is in different towards having 1, 2 or 0 roommates (rich parents). We will likely be getting a third roommate, I just mentioned using this new sum of money as if we were splitting the apartment two ways as my potential debt payment because when I initially saw it I thought "surprisingly, I can actually afford that."
    2. My commute wound up being 1.25-1.5 hours each way because I had to transfer trains 3 to 4 times in the morning in order to get to my office. NYC is laid out kinda weird and if your office is in Queens or Brooklyn and not Manhattan, commuting can be a fucking nightmare. My days were essentially; wake up at 5am, get home by 7pm, and you have 3 hours to do basic human stuff like eat and exercise before you have to go to bed. Not much time for anything non-essential.
    3. Cost of commuting was no joke. I was spending $300/month on the railroad ticket, $121 on my metrocard, and ~$100 on gas to get to the train station in an old beater car. So it is something to consider that I forgot; if I moved home, I'd actually be saving a net $300 due to travel. This isn't super cut and dry though, because living at home means that my food costs go down by a TON (literally only paying for lunch, parents stock the house and Mom likes cooking) so I'd probably actually be saving ~$600/month.
    submitted by /u/FuckYeezy
    [link] [comments]

    [US][MA] I was taken to the hospital about a month ago against my wishes due to someone thinking I was going to commit suicide, just got the bill from both the hospital and the ambulance: $1,200 each. I live paycheck to paycheck. What’re my options?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 03:10 PM PDT

    The title explains pretty much everything. I am on my parents insurance [24y/o], and they do not know that this incident happened. Insurance covered about $3,000 of the hospital bill, leaving me with a balance of $1,246.30. Insurance only covered $90 of the EMS bill, leaving my balance at $1,371.26.

    To clarify, I literally just had to take a ride in the ambulance. No tests or anything. They would not let me refuse, the cops showed up before them and told me I had to go. And at the hospital, they did a blood and urine test, had me sit for hours, and eventually talk to a psychiatrist, who immediately cleared me to go home.

    Both of these amounts are more than I make in 2 weeks at my job. I just had to spend my savings to cover an unexpected cost. I currently have $120 till the 11th. I'm at a complete lost. It's been so long I assumed insurance covered everything. I've never had to deal with bills this amount, and I have no idea where to start. Please help me.

    submitted by /u/Dogs-Keep-Me-Going
    [link] [comments]

    My boss touts "yearly performance raises" as a perk, but it only serves to match inflation.

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 03:48 PM PDT

    My company lists "yearly" raises as a perk. This was also brought up during my lateral move job offer in April: my boss said that my current pay rate was competitive.He also mentioned that, while there was no bonus structure for my role, he said that I'll still have my yearly raises, acting like this is justification for my hourly rate.

    But I'm stuck on this. My year anniversary is every May. My "yearly" raise was tacked on in January. How could this be based on performance when my overall performance was measured in May?

    But I'm also stuck on the fact that my raise was only 3%, meanwhile the inflation rate for 2018 was 2.44%. Is my thinking correct in that these 2 figures are associated? If so, my raise was mainly to account for inflation and not at all performance based.

    submitted by /u/throwtheBenAway
    [link] [comments]

    Used our Chase saphire rewards points for a flight to Bali. Now my wife is pregnant and we wont be able to fly... any advice?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 10:06 AM PDT

    The rewards say it is non refundable when you book the flight, but she will be a little over 7 months pregnant and for a 29 hr flight that seems nearly impossible. Has anyone else had this happen before? I figure they may be accommodating but I havent called yet because I dont have the patience to be on the phone with them yet.

    Also, if there is a better sub I should post in just let me know.

    submitted by /u/Alchol0caust
    [link] [comments]

    A company is claiming that they paid me income in 2014, and the IRS is holding my tax return hostage until I pay tax on that income

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 05:45 PM PDT

    So a few months ago, I filed my 2018 tax return. I did this at the deadline. I also claimed the electric vehicle tax credit at this time. I did this through TurboTax. My expected return was somewhere around $8000.

    Fast forward a few weeks, and I got a notice from the IRS that I needed to file a 2014 tax return before I would be able to get my refund. In hindsight, I think they did this because another company claimed that they payed me income for that year. I responded to this notice with a certified letter, stating that I did not need to file a return for 2014 because I was a dependent and had no income for that year (I was a student that year).

    Fast forward to today, I received a notice from the IRS stating that I need to file a tax return by July 25th, or else have additional fees (this is also when I saw that I had somewhere around $1250 in fees due already, due to failure-to-file, failure-to-pay and interest). It also said that I never responded to the first notice, even though I did. Part of this notice was listing who said that they paid me income. A company based in Dallas (I live in Oklahoma) claimed that they paid me exactly $25,000 that year. I have never heard of this company until today. That company is described as a broker-dealer, whatever that means. The tax on that plus fees amounts to about $3000.

    I tried to call the IRS but it is past their calling hours.

    I tried to call the broker/dealer but had the same issue.

    So, I am looking for suggestions on what I should do at this point. I am not sure if I need to fill out any identity theft documents, because I am not sure if that is what happened. It's not like somebody filed my return, the company just claimed I was paid by them. This is a public company.

    Thank you in advance for any advice!

    submitted by /u/dayne195
    [link] [comments]

    Beware hidden fees with Instacart & Costco SameDay

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 11:12 AM PDT

    TLDR: We were charged $153 for an $108 purchase.

    had ordered a couple of times from Costco's SameDay service that delivers via Instacart and thought (naively) that it was a decent deal- looking back, I think our initial order might have had free delivery as a promo.

    The slip-up was when the driver gave me the Costco receipt and I then tried to correlate the $108 amount on the receipt with the $153 charged to our account. While I understand that Instacart might inflate prices a bit, but it turned out to average out at about an 20% up charge on all items. Then there was ~$6.19 mandatory tip, a $6.16 service fee, and then a $8.99 deliver fee- all on top of the 20% inflation on the items we ordered.

    Usually Costco is a solid bet, but wow, not when Instacart is in the mix. Not again!

    Edit:

    Ok, to clarify a few points:

    1. I don't mind paying for delivery, I am not entitled (thank you very much), I just don't think Costco/Insta are very upfront with what they are charging
    2. As a sanity check, I just fired up a new order and got to the point of the "Place Order" button and there was no mention of any delivery fees, tips, or service fees and there is definitely no place where they call out how much they inflate their prices
    3. As a consumer, I expect that when I hit a "Place Order" button, that amount is what I will pay or pretty close to it. If I had a legit checkout screen where I was told that I was paying a 20% upcharge on all items and $21 dollars in fees, I probably would have made other plans.
    4. If they were upfront with their fees and inflation, I might actually use them once in a while when I really-really didn't want to brave the crowds at Costco- but not when I am gambling on how much my final bill might be.
    5. I am a pretty savvy online shopper, I rarely (if ever) get surprised post-purchase on something like this, and I left this experience feeling a bit bamboozled.
    6. I get that if I read into their T&C deep enough, I am sure this is all spelled out enough that I am fully responsible for this, but as a modern consumer I shouldn't have to read through the boilerplate. What I see on the screen at the checkout should be what I pay (unless it is someplace like McMaster-Carr who does what they want and you expect it).
    submitted by /u/raynman1972
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a sweet spot for buying cars and not losing too much value?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 09:56 AM PDT

    I'm looking to upgrade my car and I'm looking to see if anyone has found a sweet spot for buying cars or a guide to not losing too much value. My past 2 purchases(2006 Ford Fusion with 80,000 miles and 2006 Ford Explorer with about 100,000 miles) were both about $10,000. The Fusion was about 8 years old when we bought it and the Explorer was about 10. As I look at replacing either of these it seems their value is half what I paid at best and replacements that are about 10 years old and 100,000 miles are $15,000 or so(Explorers, I haven't looked at Fusions). Maybe I'm cheap but I hate the spending that much on a used car with that many miles. I'm wondering if I was to try and buy newer lower mileage cars would I have less of a hit if I was to then sell them in 2 or 3 years. I don't need to sell them that soon, I'm just wondering if doing something like that would lower the cost of ownership per year. Can I buy a car for $20k, drive it for 2 or 3 years and sell it for $16K? We take very good care of or vehicles and put less than 10,000 miles on them in a year.

    We are in our early 30's, debt free except our house which has a very reasonable 15 year mortgage. We only pay cash for cars. I know we would both cringe at spending so much but we could comfortably pay $20,000 for something newer.

    EDIT: Thank you all you're pretty much confirmed what I thought and hoped wasn't the case. I guess all cars, even used are just getting more and more expensive just like everything else. For what it's worth I'm loyal to Ford and I don't see that changing. We'll probably just keeps our cars another 5 years or so and then look for replacements. I do pretty much all my own work so they are cheap to keep. When it's time to buy we'll probably look for something more in the 5-7 year old range than the 10 year old. I'm not interested in driving $1,000 Hondas or Toyotas. That would be the most frugal thing to do but we're in a position to not have to do that.

    submitted by /u/akprobegt
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone give you a house ?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 04:02 PM PDT

    Hello everyone, my mother has been talking about downsizing quite a bit and she was talking about giving the house to me, is this something that is possible ? Is there any kind of special paperwork that needs to be done and how would this work ?

    Thanks for your time

    submitted by /u/smward998
    [link] [comments]

    A company wants to hire me for more, do I tell my current job the amount or let them bid?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 08:23 AM PDT

    Do I tell them the amount they want to pay me ? Or do I keep that under wraps and let them determine how much they think I'm worth to keep?

    submitted by /u/conkerts
    [link] [comments]

    25 year-old with $10,000 and no clue. Invest or pay off debts? (CAN)

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 09:32 AM PDT

    As I celebrated my 25th birthday and reflected a bit on my life up to this point, I began to realize that I still treat money much in the same way I did as a teen. I get paid, I spend when I want or when I can. I don't have any long-term monetary goals. I don't actually spend that much, so this has led to $10,000 accumulating in my shitty 0.05% entry-level savings account. I've decided that I want to change my myopic financial views, but I don't know where to start.

    Income:

    • $45,000 annually, with a likely raise to ~$50,000 coming in the fall. I currently contribute 3% to my RRSP that is matched by my employer.

    Monthly Expenses:

    • Rent:~ $200. I live with my parents. I live in a market that, while not Toronto or Vancouver, is extremely expensive to purchase a home in. I likely will not be able to buy real estate unless I move to a cheaper area (not unlikely) or get married and have two incomes. My parents are also chill, so it's not a bad setup. I may be moving out with a friend soon, but I'm not chomping at the bit to get out.

    • Car Insurance + gas: ~$200. My car is paid off, I bought a boring 10-year old Honda for $2000 in university.

    • Cell phone + various monthly subscriptions: ~$200. Canadian cell phone plans are atrocious.

    • Student loan repayment: $300

    • Total: ~$900 per month

    Debts:

    • Student loan: $22,000 @ 3.85% interest (currently paying monthly minimum)

    I feel like I can either start investing now at a higher interest rate than my student loan, carry that debt and profit, or just pay it off and get the weight of the debt off of my shoulders. After I graduated, I chose the latter option when I aggressively paid off a tuition-related $10,000 line of credit in a year. I just don't know which path I should pursue in regards to my student loan.

    submitted by /u/sadofksdokfsdf
    [link] [comments]

    Uber car rear ended - what now?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 04:34 PM PDT

    Hello,

    My family and I were in Florida traveling on vacation in an Uber car.

    We were rear ended very badly on the interstate, obliterating our Uber vehicle, resulting in sore backs/necks. Police and paramedics could not believe there were no fatalities. (Please don't text and drive people!)

    We spend close to $20,000 on the vacation, on a nice resort, flights and excursions.

    Needless to say, the vacation was completely ruined, (on our 2nd day), being unable to walk without constant pain, unable to do our booked tours.

    We spend the rest of the vacation essentially recovering from the collision.

    I had a bodily Injury adjuster contact me, I informed them that we don't have any documented injuries, but would like compensation for the ruined vacation.

    The adjuster asked what a fair amount would be to settle it.

    What can I expect from this?

    Can I make up a number I believe would be reasonable for my family trauma an the cost of the vacation?

    Thank you very much.

    submitted by /u/Mower1993
    [link] [comments]

    The JPMCB Name Change Reopened Closed Accounts on Credit Report

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 06:04 AM PDT

    Hi all! Feeling a bit overwhelmed and I know you guys can approach this methodically. When Chase renamed to JP Morgan Chase, it revived two credit accounts on my credit report: one that was closed in bankruptcy on which I was an authorized user (so it's at 101% utilization) and another that's at 14% utilization that I have no connection with and I don't even know what it is. I asked the person whose cards they are and she confirmed I am not on her current card (which I assumed was the 14% one). So my credit utilization is at 50%, which is dragging down my score while we're going to be looking into something that requires credit shortly, and it sucks.

    I tried to dispute the account with Equifax, but:

    #1. Their online system for disputes apparently isn't working right now, and I have a hearing condition that makes using their phone system problematic, and

    #2 I don't even know what this 14% utilization account is. I can see my own Chase credit card account, which I keep at about 1% utilization, and everything looks good there re: credit report. So I don't know how to dispute it if I don't really know what it is.

    Help, please? Feeling overwhelmed because I know this information isn't accurate but wtf 50% utilization? Come on.

    submitted by /u/SableDragonRook
    [link] [comments]

    Inherited $10,000 cash and tax free. What to do?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 05:51 PM PDT

    I recently inherited $10,000 cash and taxes have already been taken care of. My wife and I have some small credit card debt but nothing overwhelming. We each have one car that are half way payed off and both of us have recently returned to school to finish our degrees. We are hoping to be in a position to purchase a home in a 3-5 years and this money could help us with a down payment. Our plan is to clear our credit card debt and then to invest the remaining money into a low risk bond or some other low risk investment. That way we will have our money safely sitting in an account someplace where it can earn interest. I would love to get some advice from anyone you is willing to offer it! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/SassDaddy
    [link] [comments]

    M, 38, $15k Savings, $670k Debt, $108k Salary HELP!!

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 12:13 PM PDT

    I'm feeling worried for my future! I just heard about this sub reddit, made a new account because I don't want others to know who I am. I haven't posted here before, and I'm hoping I can get some simple solid advice.

    I currently do my employer matched 3% IRA. The debt I have is $300k for my house (home value is $425k), $310k for student loans (grad school), and $60k personal loans. I have a wife and 2 kids, I'm likely to get another raise this month to $112k/annual or so, and my future with my current company looks good, been with them almost 5 years. We own both our cars, and take one nice vacation a year. My monthly payments on the mortgage, personal loans, and student debts eat up pretty much all of our money. Maybe a few hundred bucks left over each month ($400-$600 to do with what we please). We have not fell behind in any payments, and have $3k in savings. Credit score is 765 for me and 795 for the wife.

    One friend suggested we buy a few trailers with our good credit and open land we can store them on, and rent them out as a side business to supplement our income. He says he gets $120-$140 a night per trailer and the monthly cost on the trailer loan is $120 -- and he can rent them out 2-5 times a month @ 2-3 days each, so he's making $300 to $800 profit per trailer each month. Honestly this sounds like a good option, but I would have to finance it with more loans (would likely be no problem qualifying). I'm also very business savvy and competitive, so I'm sure I could get these things rented out... it just means more loans and more debt. Sales comes naturally, personal money management has not. I tend to spend most of the money I earn. If I earn a lot I spend a lot, if I earn little I spend little. I've never defaulted on a loan though, I've always made ends meet. Even 6 years ago when I was making $16/hr and supporting the family.

    It's setting in that I'm not 23 anymore... And I haven't done a good job saving $. Feeling stressed and worried for my future and the kids future. Feeling helpless for the long term right now.

    What should I do?

    submitted by /u/ShamWowKungPow
    [link] [comments]

    Girlfriend I co-signed for and I broke up. What do I do?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 02:24 PM PDT

    I was 6 years into a relationship and co-signed for a girl. We then broke up. Her credit is too poor to refinance under her name. I now have my current car with 6000 in negative equity, and hers with 9000 in negative equity. What is my best option moving forward?

    submitted by /u/SinScythe
    [link] [comments]

    Net Worth Calculation

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 03:11 PM PDT

    Do you guys put your cars worth into your net worth?

    Even though it depreciates greatly over time and is typically never considered an asset?

    submitted by /u/sc_shay20
    [link] [comments]

    Preparing to buy my first house

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 06:08 PM PDT

    I'm 41, never owned a home before. Rented since living on my own. I've had some life ups and downs, stupid with credit when I was young; worked hard to improve it (with advice I read here), but took a bad gamble on a job that didn't pay out as well as it sold to me (commission pay). Credit took a nose dive, but I went back to my old employer (great deal to get me back).

    Right now I'm in the mid 600s, debt is very low, income is high. My DTI looks good (25% DTI approximately). I have 1 car payment on a car I could roll out of buy selling. My other car is paid off and is liquid of about $18k-22k based on trade assessment online. Savings I have about $10k and $5k in checking. The thought was to sell off the free and clear vehicle and have $30k to put down. This number can adjust as needed.

    What else should I consider? I'd like to be in the best possible shape summer 2020 to start shopping. I'm still putting 25% of my checks into savings via direct deposit. I keep my CC utilization around 20% just to have payment history ( I use a cc for gas, then pay my balance through the app - keeping $25-50 balance most times so they'll report in my favor).

    Anything else I should do to be on the fast track for buying a home?

    submitted by /u/rr_0223
    [link] [comments]

    2018 Taxes way more than expected. What now?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 02:18 PM PDT

    Here we are in July. I did my 2018 taxes using turbotax and ended up owing thousands, under 10 but more than 5. Was a homeowner in 2018 and was not able to deduct mortgage interest. Married filing jointly 2 kids. W-4 has few allowances. In any case, the bill seems way to high. At this point should I be asking for professional help to redo the taxes?

    submitted by /u/insightsometime
    [link] [comments]

    Spouse cosign on student loans

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 08:07 PM PDT

    So my wife has some loans from nursing school. Due to a confluence of unfortunate family circumstances she is a SAHM and I'm in a different city working. She has about $50k in student loans I should have paid off in about 3 years if everything goes fine. About $30k of it is >6% interest and I'd like to consolidate that portion into something lower interest to make the payoff faster.

    Part of this is because it will save months off of the payoff date but it's also because I'm working at a start-up so it's possible it or the economy as a whole could go belly-up at some point and due to the family situation I'm not able to move to find something else for some time. It might be possible I that I wouldn't be able to pay into it for a while so I'd like to keep the interest growth on it as low as possible in case that happens.

    However every single consolidation site I've checked either does not allow spousal cosign at all, or if they do the applications gets immediately rejected because her income is zero even though mine is more than enough to handle it.

    Are there consolidation services available that would be fine with the debtor not having income if the spouse cosigns for it? Or would most people consider this a small enough amount to just power through it and just hope that nothing happens?

    submitted by /u/BoilerButtSlut
    [link] [comments]

    Critique my budget

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 05:38 PM PDT

    I'm starting my first full-time job next month, and I've planned out my various expenses / saving for the rest of 2019. I've been reading this subreddit a lot and watching lots of PF-related videos, but I'm still not totally sure what I'm doing, and I want to make sure I'm not making some big mistake with handling my money.

    Here's a screenshot of my budget so far: https://i.imgur.com/Tk2npxz.png

    Thanks in advance!!

    submitted by /u/nagasgura
    [link] [comments]

    Future US Infantry Solider with nothing but a GED needs some help planning out the next few years

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 12:50 PM PDT

    My first mistake was probably signing an infantry contract but hear me out: It's something I have an extreme passion for and I know exactly what I'm getting myself into. I do not care if its not something I can't "bring into the real world" and is a waste of a high ASVAB score like everyone tells me. My second mistake was dropping out of high school last semester because I was on the verge of suicide BUT I've worked with a recruiter and he is happy to make my dreams come true!

    Luckily I'm still 18 and have zero debt. However it's never too early to start planning for a more comfortable life when I get out and planning is something I'll need more than others because I do not have a diploma.

    Some may say go to college after but the only job I really want is a simple police officer position in my home county so it kinda seems like a waste of time where I can be doing something more productive (most police departments accept GEDs with no further education and we have plenty of family friends in the area I want to be)

    Although I have a strong urge to go into a large amount of debt for a charger, I need to plan on what things I can invest in, to create that passive income that all the business guru's talk about. A big buzzword I've noticed all of them saying is "real estate" but there are two things I know: Never blindly trust someone who is selling a book on advice and its not as easy as it sounds. But if renting out a house isnt the best way to get something profitable, what is?

    I've also been practicing the art of story telling through screenwriting and novels in the past few years and once I perfect my craft I may be able to sell some copies of something I write too (not why I write, its just a thought of something I can work on while I'm sitting in the barracks or something)

    Another thing I need to consider is where I'll live after 4-8 years of service (the pension isnt worth it to me). Do I take money I can be investing into something and rent a place where I'm going to work or do i suck up my pride and move in with my mom or dad until I'm in a position with a decent paycheck (police recruits don't make much)

    Any advice is super helpful! What would you suggest I invest in? Do you have any good resources for spotting good deals on things like real estate and other investments? Any other good things I can work on for a good passive income? Thank you for reading!

    submitted by /u/fluffyice34
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment